Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Stepping Away from the Past ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Stepping Away From the Past

Updated: 6/7/04

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Kagome did her best not show any outward appearance of being worried. Inuyasha had just left them a half a day from the village without so much as a word; and he had been gone for at least an hour. They had decided to stop and make camp, seeing as how the sun was already setting. Sango and Miroku had already made a fire and were huddled around it because of the slight autumn chill.

Kirara had taken Shippou hunting, something he had been begging to do since he had joined them, but of course inuyasha being the jerk he always was, had bluntly refused to take the "baby" along. Shippou had finally persuaded Kirara to take him, and told Kagome it would strengthen his senses and make him "a whole bunch stronger". She laughed to herself when she remembered how Shippou had puffed out his chest and told her he would always protect his `kaasan.

She became bored with the conversation on sutras and wards almost as soon as it began. She wanted to change the subject but she didn't want to ruin one of the first good conversations between the shy demon slayer and the young monk. `Miroku will probably end up doing it anyways when he gropes her,' She thought ruefully. She began to get a bit more fidgety, and Sango noticed, so she took her chance and excused herself saying she needed a bath.

After taking out her bow and arrows she started the 10-minute trek to some hot springs they had seen earlier. About 7 minutes into her journey she heard some leaves crackling and panting. She tensed and went perfectly still. She drew her bow and deftly notched an arrow while doing a 180 to face her would be attacker, which turned out to be…."a tree?". She continued to hear the sounds but noticed they were coming from the woods to her left, after putting her bow back from where she had drawn it, and thought she should keep going to the hot springs but her curiosity got the better of her and she silently made her way to the origin of the sounds.

She soon fell upon a clearing and hid within the shadows. There she saw Inuyasha with her incarnate Kikyo, he had her pushed against a tree with his right hand right beside her head, the other roaming over her chest cavity. Her hands had fisted themselves in his red haori. Her sleek black hair was loose and fell around her, their eyes closed as they kissed.

No tears came surprisingly, though Kagome felt an extreme amount of disgust; some for Inuyasha who was actually making out with a corpse but the most was with herself because she had actually once wished he had kissed her like that. She felt like throwing up, yet she wanted to continue watching, it was almost like a car accident, you want to just turn around and forget but there is some kind of morbid curiosity you have to look. She tore her eyes away, remembering Inuyasha's heightened senses would probably hear her.

Even as she walked away she felt like turning around. She knew she was a fool for actually believing he could love her, but then again she was young, nearing her 16th birthday in a couple of days actually, which reminded her of going home, to her mom, her annoying brother, her crazy grandpa, and now that she thought of it, `I should probably seal the well temporarily too, keep Inuyasha away from me till I could figure out how to talk to him.`

Tears threatened to spill for the first time since the time he had chosen Kikyo over her. As she continued on her way to the hot springs, she pondered over her life. "I have put off my life, ignored my friends and family to go search for a jewel that only brought people sadness," it all seemed like a dream. "A really depressing dream." She had found her first love here and gotten her heart broken, but then again she also found Shippou and got to know Sango and Miroku. She gave a small smile at thoughts of the two of them, "I know they love each other," she wanted them to express it but "…who am I to tell them about love?" she pondered aloud. She reached the hot spring and removed her clothes, then sank into the welcoming warmth of the onsen.

After a half an hour she got out and dried off. She began to walk off into the night, still pondering about her life. `Its dark, great! Now I have to walk all the way back…I'm glad I had at least remembered my bow and arrows' but now that she thought of it she really hadn't gotten all that great at them, "not like Kikyo anyway." `Hah! Like I will ever be as good as the perfect Kikyo!' she added in her head bitterly. "All I want to do is curl up into my soft bed and go to sleep, forget about everything…tests in my time and jewel shards in this one." She snapped out of her thoughts when she heard a loud groan.

`Great just what I need to see…Inuyasha and Kikyo rutting right in front of Me.' she thought ruefully. It was then she realized that she was nowhere near where she had seen them, or what direction camp was. Fear concentrated inside her causing her to grip her bow until her knuckles turned white. She contemplated yelling for Inuyasha until she remembered how he always complained about saving her ass all the time.

Her eyes narrowed, her pride cutting down her fear. She walked toward the sound she had heard. When she reached her destination she tensed. There in front of her was a LARGE spider youkai. And on the ground unconscious was beautiful girl with ice blue hair in a light pink kimono. Kagome hastily plucked out an arrow and fired at the youkai's head. It missed and only grazed it, leaving a burn mark from the purifying energy "kuso!" she growled, annoyed at her lack of skill with aiming. The enraged youkai turned around to face its new opponent.

Kagome ran to the side of the large clearing to escape its attack and had actually managed to draw it away from the defenseless girl; she smiled at the youkai, the kind of smile that promised death. While trying to pluck another arrow out of her quiver, the spider youkai grazed its fang across her thigh, injecting a modicum of its deadly poison into her young body. She shot her arrow at its head where the jewel shard she could sense was. As soon as the arrow escaped her bow it became a pink florescent comet. She smiled happily and fell to her knees as the poison began to take over, she watched at the arrow imbedded itself in its forehead and saw the youkai fall to the ground in chunks from another attack.

She blinked and tried to focus "well that's a new one…ano…Inuyasha?" she asked aloud. Kagome blinked again trying to focus as orange and black spots danced across her line of sight. She felt a rush of air at her side and swayed toward it. She reached out and touched something warmer than Inuyasha's fire rat haiori had ever been. She looked up towards the person she knew was there, searching for something, anything that would clue her in to who felt so warm, she met red, ruby eyes that made fires dance deep with in her soul, she smiled happily. "I finally feel safe" she mumbled drunkenly and fell into the cushion of unconsciousness.