Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Stepping Away from the Past ❯ Chapter 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Stepping Away From the Past

Updated: 6/23/04

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Botan's side was tickled by something; so she tried to swat it away but to no avail because it just kept returning. She finally opened her eyes to get the annoying object away from her sensitive flesh.

Her senses returned one by one as she decided to awaken. First was her sense of touch, the tickling sensation was infinitely multiplied as she could feel the cool morning air settle on her warm flesh only to be brushed away by the soft strokes.

`Is it…Leaves…no…too …soft …cloth? No. It almost seems like strands of hair…like a tail…WAIT A TAIL!?!?'

Her lavender orbs shot open to focus in on her surroundings, it wasthe same clearing from yesterday after the battle…what happened? She couldn't remember.

She inhaled the sweet untainted air of the world hundreds of years ago. Her head swiveled down to her abdomen where the same incessant strokes played upon her delicate skin.

She tensed as she saw the lean, defined arm draped across her waist accompanied by the soft stroking of a silver tail.

She let out a small whimper as she turned around to find out who had captured her. To her great surprise it was none other then her most trusted friend …or at least his counterpart the infamous Makai thief, Youko Kurama.

She relaxed somewhat but was still worried as to what had caused his little transformation. Her eyes trailed over his chiseled features, his golden orbs lay closed, his porcelain skin and fine white silk robes were a harsh contrast to the gnarled bark of an old oak tree. His silver locks caught the sunlight in a most pleasant way and gave a few shadows to his otherwise perfect skin.

Her gaze traveled up his well sculpted face to take in the appendages atop his head, the soft gray triangles of fir which were swiveling around his head alerting him to any sound that otherwise might disturb his perfectly calm slumber.

She raised a hand inquisitively to his face and waved it back and forth to see if he was really asleep, he didn't even flinch. Comfortable with this new knowledge she moved her hand on the journey up to the top of his head. She reached out and delicately took the corner of one of the furry triangles into her small fingers.

Kurama wanted desperately to stop feigning sleep and grab the little vixen in his arms but he restrained himself instead trying to concentrate on the rather pleasant way his tails were stroking her silky smooth skin.

He smirked when he felt her body stiffen.

`so the vixen is awake? Hehehe'

~Youko!! Gimme back my freakin body! What is Botan going to say when she wakes up?!~

`Calm down, I will have her eating out of the palm of my hand…'

~You can't do that! Botan will freak out! ~

`We both want the ferry onna so why not just sit back and enjoy the show?'

~Because she doesn't want us! ~

`May I remind you again how I can seduce any living thing?'

~She's not yours to seduce!!~

`Jealous Suichi?'

~Damn fox~

`hehehehehehe'

He felt her hand shake in front of his closed eyes, he commanded his body to remain indifferent, and it worked, that is until she began caressing his ears, especially when she hit his sensitive spot.

He emitted a low purr that vibrated off his chest and into hers. She jumped up and landed right down in his lap, his eyes shot open and glanced down into her startled face with a look of pure kitsune mischief. She gave a surprised "eep" at his sudden awareness.

"So you like to molest people in their sleep."

"wha..?…I…uh…no! Uh…where is Suichi? Ugh I mean I know where Suichi is but uh how did you get … uh…out?"

He chuckled at how flustered she was.

~Why is she still sitting in our lap? Shouldn't she be high tailing it outta here?!~

`hehe I told you I could seduce anything.'

~She's not seduced she's surprised; she was supposed to be waking up in my arms! ~

`haha see you are jealous'

~Damn fox~

Hiei popped out of nowhere with the miko behind him and glanced at the pair.

`So the fox is out.`

"Ahhh get away from Botan!"

They broke apart quickly much to Youko's dislike.

`Great…thanks Youko… now how am I going to explain this?'

~This is why we kill people! You can't just have them running in and interrupting moments such as this!!~

They were snapped out of their little dispute when the raven-haired miko, Kagome ran at them yelling, "I'm going to purify your ass!!"

~uh ok I'll let you back out…I am NOT going to die AGAIN!~

…And with that the crimson haired Suichi appeared.

Kagome skidded to a halt when the aura around the strange demon `attacking' Botan changed and his image flickered away leaving a very flustered Botan lying in a very HUMAN Suichi's arms.

"Uh…" was the best Kagome could stutter.

"Well I guess you just met my other half…hope he wasn't too much trouble…hehe…"

*So you finally made your move fox*

*Me? No it was Youko…ya know that crazy guy just does whatever the hell he wants…heh…*

~You can't blame this all on me! We both wanted her last night…I just acted on those desires…oh and what fun it was too…~

`(Mental growl) I'll get you back later'

"Kurama?" Botan asked, snapping him out of his mental feud. "Hiei and Kagome already left…we have to get going too…" she gestured over to the swirly portal connecting to another world.

"Not without a kiss first" Kurama said huskily with his eyes a beautiful shade of gold.

"Youko…"

He chuckled, then grabbed her hand and tugged her until she was plastered to his chest. His head swooped down and captured her lips in another searing kiss.

He tenderly (without breaking the kiss) picked her up bridal style and walked through the portal.

[Koenma's office in Spirit World]

Koenma was sitting at his large desk buried under stacks of papers with George at his side as always. He stepped away from the desk and adjusted his hat as soon as the portal opened.

Hiei stepped in first, followed by Kagome.

"Ahh, Hiei I see you found our miko."

"Hn."

"Oh how cute a baby!" Kagome squealed before running to Koenma and picking him up. She cradled him affectionately to her chest and made little cooing noises.

Although Koenma liked the position he was in at the moment, the death glares coming from Hiei were freaking him out to no extent. So he changed into his teenage form.

Kagome fell onto the floor with Koenma on top of her.

"Hello, I am Koenma, and you are Kagome I presume?" he said as he got up from her and extended a hand to her.

"HENTAI! *Slap* …oops…sorry about that...heh.."

"heh…Yes well…wait, where's Botan?" he questioned looking back to the unclosed portal. As if on cue two figures appeared, wrapped in each other's arms.

Koenma's jaw dropped open when he saw his favorite employee engaging in an extremely passionate embrace with one of his spirit detectives.

A calm golden eye popped open to check the surroundings, they were in Rekai. He broke the kiss, but stayed near her full lips and whispered, "Botan close the portal, we are here." She groggily opened her lust filled eyes and looked around, she was still in Kurama's arms and had her hands wrapped around his neck. Hiei was off to Kagome's side smirking, Koenma looked ready to fall over in shock and Kagome was giggling at the whole scene.

She abruptly jumped out of Kurama's arms and bowed to the prince of hell.

"Botan…"

"Yes Koenma-sama?"

"Uh…we'll talk about THAT later." He said while gesturing to Kurama.

"Yes sir." She mumbled while blushing.

Youko left a very annoyed Suichi in his place, who wanted to have control over his body when he kissed the woman of his dreams.

"Yes well, now that we are all here…I should explain your mission, I trust you have filled Kagome in on who I am and about the different worlds?"

"hn, did you think we just kidnapped her?"

"Knowing you, or a least some of your tendencies, pretty much, yeah...I did.

Kagome gave Hiei a questioning look but he played everything off as if he wasn't even paying attention. Kurama chuckled at the two and sat down pulling Botan in his lap, he was too elated to care about the others. If need be he would travel to the Makai just to get some alone time with his woman.

"Anyways…Your mission is to go into the Makai and retrieve three precious relics. It will require Kagome to locate them, Kurama and Hiei to salvage them and I need Botan to report back to me as soon as you recover the first."

"Um. Koenma-sama, how am I to locate them? I haven't had any training or anything…"

"That is why you will be trained by Genkai and the other spirit detectives when they return, tomorrow, it will last for a month."

"A Month!?…ack…Inuyasha is going to kill me!" she ranted to herself frustrated. "Botan could you take me back, I need to get my things and tell everyone how long I'll be gone."

"Okay…" she said slightly depressed she had to give up her make-out session with Kurama.

The portal opened and Kagome stepped in followed by the rest. The portal opened at Kaede's village. They all stepped out and followed Kagome into the hut.

As soon as she reached the door of the hut, Shippou latched himself onto her torso. But that wasn't what shocked her, and caused her to faint. Hiei caught her limp body and glared at the sight before them.

Sitting in the corner was none other than Sesshomaru, Taiyoukai of the western lands (and future king of the Makai), with his human ward Rin running around him and his humble servant Jaken lying unconscious by his feet with more than a few bumps on his ugly green head. But that wasn't what made Kagome faint, it was the sight in the other corner, Inuyasha making out with the clay pot, better known as Kikyo.

Sango automatically rushed to her side, "Kagome! Kagome, are you alright!? Wake up!!"

Inuyasha just stepped away from Kikyo and grabbed an old water bucket by Kaede's cooking area and with his trademark scowl, he walked over to her and Hiei who was holding her limp body, and threw the ice cold water on them. Suffice to say, she woke up immediately, sputtering water. Hiei didn't even flinch; he just turned on his glare full force.

"Ahh child I see ye have awakened, might ye introduce us to ye's new companions, after ye dresses in some warmer garments?"

After hopping out of Hiei's arms and whispering thank you, she answered, "InuyashaOSWARI!! Hai keade-obaasan, would you like to meet my friends? This is, kurama-kun, hiei-kun, and botan-chan. They are the spirit detectives I will be helping. Oh, Hello Sesshomaru-sama, Rin!" she exclaimed when she was pummeled by the six year old human girl. "I'll be right back, I just have to go for a bath and find some new clothes, ok Rin-chan?" said girl smiled and nodded, Kagome smiled back. "You guys just make yourselves comfortable, if I hear any fighting I'll sit you into hell Inuyasha, and you won't even need Kikyo to take you there. Oh and Miroku, keep your hands off Botan and if I catch you peeking I'll have Sango castrate you."

Everyone had their jaws on the floor after she was finished with her little greeting, except of course Sesshomaru, Kikyo and Hiei. Who looked quite impassive, although each was smirking on the inside.

"Shippou be good for Kaede alright? And play with Rin!" Kagome said while putting him down and hugging Rin.

"Sango, do you want to go with me?" she asked her friend.

"Um…sure…"

"Great! Be back soon guys!"

Shippou and Rin waved to the two females that were making their way out of the warm hut, while everyone else sat gaping.

After they left Hiei gracefully sat down against the wall, and continued to glare at Inuyasha, while Sesshomaru just watched Rin with his usual indifferent countenance.

Inuyasha sat by Kikyo and pulled her into his lap, nuzzling his mate's neck.

[The Onsen]

"ahh…this never gets old!" Kagome purred as she relaxed her body into the steamy waters beside her companion.

"There's nothing a trip to the hot spring won't cure, eh?" Sango commented while sinking under slowly.

"Oooh…yeah!" Kagome moaned as she too closed her eyes and sunk lower into the bubbling spring.

"You still haven't told me about your new friends Kagome…"

"Oh yeah! Well let's see…where to start…well the red-haired one, Kurama, he has two souls…"

"What!?! How can he have TWO souls?!"

"Well…you know how I told you how in my time there were no demons?"

"Yeah…"

"Well that's because they live in a separate world, the Makai. Then there are the Reikai and the Ningenkai, the three worlds are separated by all these barriers and stuff…"

"Uh…ok…"

"You see, Kurama is actually a fox demon. He was almost killed, but to escape death his soul escaped into the Ningenkai, and he "possessed" an unborn human boy, Suichi…so now they kind of share the body I suppose. But he's very nice; he and Hiei saved me! …heh heh…"

"Well…that's new."

"Yep."

"What about the other two?"

"Well Botan is a ferry girl, she ferries human spirits to the Reikai. And Hiei is also a demon, thought I'm not sure what kind yet, he doesn't have claws so I doubt he's an animal...of some sort like Sesshomaru."

"I see, are you sure you want to go off with these people you don't even know?"

"They are trustworthy sango, I can sense it. Plus there is also the fact they have the ruler of all three worlds commanding me to go out on this mission."

"I see."

"But don't worry, I really want to go, I want to help them, they have treated me so kindly and they have become my friends."

"if you're sure…"

"I am, by the way Sango, how are things going between you and our friend Miroku-sama?" kagome asked while wiggling her eyebrows and sporting a lecherous smirk.

"Damn Kagome you're good! Well we started um `dating' each other just a few weeks ago. I meant to tell you but its just so hard to come out and say.."

"Its ok Sango, I know. I'm glad for you guys!"

"Thanks Kagome!"

"Oh and what's up with the new additions to our shard hunting group?"

That question had Sango fidgeting, she decided to tell her friend everything and see how she took it. Giving her a serious look she began to explain, "Well Kagome, Sesshomaru-sama has agreed to an alliance, and…Kikyo…has decided to join us because *deep breath*…she's now Inuyasha's mate."

Sango awaited the girls response with baited breath, wishing she could bash the hanyou in the head a couple times for making her do this to her best friend, her sister.

"Can she sense shards?"

"…Uh…she says she can…"

"Then great!" Kagome said while wrapping herself in her towel, she had a huge grin on her face making Sango wonder if the young woman had finally cracked.

"Huh?! Uh…Kagome-chan? I thought…"

"Its fine Sango-chan! I'm happy for them! Inuyasha finally has Kikyo, he's happy; I don't want to and never will ruin that for them. Plus he has a promise to keep at the end of this, so why torment myself when he's just going to leave me anyways, right? And…well I met someone else…"

"What?! Someone else? Who?!" She exclaimed as she tied her kimono together.

"Is it that hobo guy?"

"EH?! When did I ever talk about meeting a hobo? Ooooh you mean HOJO! No it's not him. Its u-um…" kagome stuttered.

"Well…nothings really happened…but…I just get this tingly sensation when ever he touches me or speaks…but he hasn't shown any interest in me or anything…oh kami!" She chuckled, "I have an fetish for men who sit in trees!"

A loud crash drew her out of her reverie before she could finish.

Sango and Kagome rushed into the forest where the sound had come from. They ran into a clearing where all they saw was a mess of fallen tree branches, a red fire rat kimono, and silver hair and of course they heard plenty of muttered curses.

"INUYASHA!!!?!" Kagome shrieked paining his ears more then the twigs poking them.

"What is it wench?!"

"YOU were SPYING on US!"

"Keh. I was protecting my shard detector from demons bitch." He said while getting up and dusting off.

"If there were any demons in the area we wouldn't have gone! And BY THE WAY you have Kikyo to detect shards! OSWARI!" she yelled back.

*Thud* "Fuck! What the hell was that for!?!"

Sango, annoyed and rather bored by their usual shouting match, sighed and decided to walk back to the village and make sure Miroku wasn't causing trouble with his usual antics.

"It wouldn't hurt to have two detectors, plus I don't want Kikyo to get hurt by Naraku again, she's not going to fight."

"Are you kidding me?!"

"…So now I'm expendable?! I'm leaving now; I have to go help some REAL friends! Take Kikyo to find your damn shards on your own….you…you…MUTT! OSWARI!"

[At Kaede's hut (during their fighting)]

Sesshomaru inwardly winced has he heard Inuyasha's woman shriek, he heard the whole argument and laughed inwardly at the mutt's stupidity.

He stood up in the middle of the red-haired one's explanation of their `mission' and walked out of the hut, on the way out he passed Rin and Shippou who were playing a game of tag and walked straight into the dark forest.

He found a tree and waited.

[Back with Kagome and Inuyasha]

"I'm not a mutt!"

"Screw you inuyasha!"

"keh."

With that inuyasha bounded off, leaving Kagome to find her way back alone.

Kagome stomped off into the forest toward the village intent on `accidentally' sitting inuyasha while he was tonguing Kikyo.

"heheheh…."

"Oh Sesshomaru-sama! Hello! What are you doing here?" kagome said surprised that she would encounter the infamous human-hating taiyoukai sitting at the base of the god tree.

"Waiting for you."

"umm..ok then…oh yeah! I have a question to ask you…"

"Go ahead."

"Why exactly did you choose to form an alliance with us?"

"For you."

"uhhh…..me!?"

"Yes. You saved Rin once for the pest that calls himself Naraku, I was indebnt to you, allying with you should help you, yes?"

"Oh…yes, I see. But I won't be here…I am just about to depart on another quest, but I will be back in a month!"

"I know. I will wait for you, we will face Naraku together, for only you have the power to completely destroy this evil."

"Me? But…wait…ME?"

"Your priestess powers are growing, have you not felt it?"

"Well…not really...heh heh…"

"You are pure, untainted by the jealousy and hate that most humans reek of, you alone will purify the jewel."

"Thanks for your vote of confidence!" he raised an eyebrow because of her strange phrases.

"Rin has asked for you."

"She did? I'll have to go play with Shippou and her when we get back."

"She requests for you to visit the castle after this quest."

"I will! …If that's ok with you…that is…"

"This Sesshomaru would…find…pleasure…in your presence."

"Oh…wow… hehe...maybe we should…go back," she said trying to distract from her nervousness.

"C'mon" she said grabbing the sleeve of his haori and tugging a little.

She pulled him all the way back to camp ignoring the arching eyebrow and questioning glare he shot at her head, knowing it would just make her want to run away.

They popped into the hut minutes' later, earning a few questioning looks from the occupants. Sesshomaru looked about the hut and settled his chilly golden eyes on the dark corner where Hiei resided. Heated pools of crimson stared straight back.

`So the fire demon is jealous…hmmm…'

Hiei looked up as they entered the hut, Kagome with her bright smile and flowing black hair entered gracefully, pulling along `the tai youkai!?' Her dainty hand was placed over his larger, clawed one, which had killed hundreds of beings, but she seemed to have no problem with it at she tugged him into the hut much like a child would. He glared at the elder youkai, almost wanting to set him aflame.

He stared back. Their eyes locked in a fight for dominance. The silent battle was interrupted by a startling proclamation from Sango and Miroku.

"Everyone, Miroku and I…are engaged, and will be getting married after this whole Naraku business is finished with." Cheers sounded throughout the hut, Kagome began to tear up with joy and hugged Sango, whispering "good luck", and even Lord Sesshomaru gave his congratulations.

Kaede decided they should have a bit of a going away/engagement party that night and exited the hut to get some supplies, tonight would be quite memorable.

Thanks for putting up with me guys. I'm going to update sooner from now on. ITS DONE! Now time for new chapters and I'll try to make them as long as physically possible, and still update weekly. Keep Reviewing, it makes me happy, suggestions are welcome, even flames would be nice at this point I want to know what you like and don't like!! BYE!!