Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Referee ❯ Awakening. ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Well Hello! :: Waves:: I’m sure your all ranting about how evil I am , but really, what did you expect? Calm yourselves though, and we will get through this. I promise. Props to my beta. She is the bomb. The good bomb, lol. Well, on with the show!


Disclaimer: ::Tosses Sesshoumaru into a pile of fan girls:: Sorry, I cant help myself. My aggression about not owning you and Kurama :: Throws him in:: Has overcome my common senses :: ducks a flying piece of armor:: On with the show!


The Referee

By: A Phantom Moon



The aftermath of the battle was cleansed within a few days, but the stains on their souls would hunt the survivors forever.

When they had finally managed to heal the half purified , scarecrows that looked like demons, Yukina, Botan,and Genkai had to break the news. Everyone grieved for the miko that had given them everything they loved in life. They looked upon her form in battle. For some reason her corpse had frozen into stone, approximately two days after she died. Sesshoumaru and Hiei had to restrain Inuyasha from breaking it when they were paying their respects. She had been placed upon an altar, it was draped in a white sheet.

Inuyasha’s words haunted them that day, as they stopped him from embracing his best friend.

“ She.. I loved her. I never even got to tell her that!” He had sobbed into Sesshoumaru’s shoulder, tears racking his slender frame as he spoke. “ She looks like she’s sleeping. I just thought; maybe if I held her one last time she would wake up!”

Inuyasha remembered her face, frozen in the expression of death. She had looked beautiful even then. In her armor and weaponry, she was an angel of death, a goddess of war. The dagger protruding from her ribs, just above her armor, hadn’t been removed. One hand touched the blade, while someone had placed the other over her heart. Her eyes had been open, half lidded. The soft expression on her face, her lips in an innocent, slightly small “oh” shape.

Inuyasha had lost a sister that day.

Sesshoumaru had stood frozen at the funeral, his emotions locked away, in that deep place that only Kagome had been able to reach. He broke this routine only to console his brother, lending him a shoulder to lean on, and nothing more. But really, he hadn’t needed to give Inuyasha anything else.

Inuyasha looked into Sesshoumaru’s eyes, the same eyes they and their father shared. While Inuyasha’s were red and heartbroken, Sesshoumaru’s were like a frozen lake in winter, a hard gloss concealing even a hint of emotion. Sesshoumaru placed an arm around his brother, as they watched Kagome’s priests bless her body, placing intricate barriers around it, so all would know the woman who gave her life for demons and humans alike.


Hiei hadn’t known the miko long, but he had loved her. She wasn’t a weakling, she hadn’t hated him for what he was. She had embraced what his own mother could not. When everyone else shied from him, she had loved him. And now she was dead. He learned his lesson, just as he knew the taiyoukai had.

He watched as they praised the woman who had saved them from Kikyou and her dark desire. There were over two hundred people there. The girls friends, the taijiya and the monk. The wolf girl and wind mistress. Kurama and Yusuke attended, as had Keiko and Botan. Yukina stood at Hiei’s side, as she forced herself not to cry for the beautiful statue that had once been a powerful, loving woman. Kuwabara was there, on crutches still from the beating the imprisoned Lord Kouga had given him. The Inu were there. The oldest of them stood farther back, waiting for his time to speak.

Sesshazu, the once Taiyoukai of the western lands, was angry. He felt the white hot rage from the tips of his clawed feet to the top of his silky silver hair. He watched as the monks asked for a moment of silence for the miko who had “touched the hearts of all.” They hadn’t even known her! They would never know the little girl know would cry until he kissed her little skinned knees. The girl who would cry when he scolded her, then return to him with a bouqet of rumpled flowers. They would never know the beautiful woman, who only asked to be loved.

Sad gold eyes scanned the giant crowd of people, before speaking. His voice, elderly, yet strong, was filled with the emotion he usually chose to keep to himself and his family.
“ I hate all of you people right now. It’s understandable, your all thinking, correct? You think just because I lost a daughter today, that you can pity me.” His heart clenched as he continued, people straightening in the crowds, paying him the respect he was due.

“ My daughter loved everyone she met, from the poorest beggar to the wealthiest lord. She proved to me and my family that she loved anything with a heartbeat.” He swept his hands over the front row of people, her grieving friends, the Taijiya and monk were supporting each other in their grief.

“Look with your own eyes at all she has done! Look upon her close companions and see her compassion! A Child, called Forbidden by his own people! A Koorime! Inu, wolf, miko, the dying race of taijiya! A monk, an avatar. A wind mistress. She loved them all, and she proved this by bathing herself in blood for them. You people claim to love her, but you couldn’t embrace the message my daughter was giving you. Not until her blood was on your hands and your tears burst upon the cold ground!”

He had bowed to his daughter that day, and never returned to her grave.


************************************************************************ ************************************************************************

Twenty years later, much had changed in the world Kagome once knew. She had not been forgotten. People would place offerings at the foot of her statue. Mothers would bless their miko children at her feet. Her friends had kept together, keeping the truth of her message in their hearts.

Sango had finally given into her perverted houshi’s proposals of marriage. They had spent a couple years traveling the world, before settling down.

The day their beautiful daughter was born, the sun had risen upon her face, and she had almost been christened Kagome. Instead, her parents named her simply “Rin”. The pain of their friends death still fresh. The girl taught them how to love again, always smiling and giving them things she found, her curiosity overwhelming.

Sango loved her daughter, as did Miroku.

But they saw Kagome whenever they looked into her eyes.


************************************************************************ ************************************************************************

Ayame snuggled into her mates side, making room for the kit who had wriggled into their bed. Kurama wrapped his arms around her, as their red hair covered the bed like rose petals. Ayame waited until the day broke in the east, before untangling herself from her sleeping family. She took to her knees, and prayed.

“ Kagome, wherever you are, please don’t let Kurama kill me when he finds I’m with child. Again.”

The wolf woman stroked her sons hair, smiling into the shining light of day.
“ Your going to be a big brother, Shippo.”

************************************************************************ ************************************************************************

Yukina sat on the steps of Genkai’s temple, contemplating what she would do now that the old woman was gone from her life. She felt the despair closing in around her for a moment, before she was wrapped into strong arms.
“ She wouldn’t want you to be sad. She would probably call you a dimwit, you know.”

Yukina laughed, letting a clear tear fall onto the steps of the shrine. “ Yes Love.”

As she and Inuyasha looked into the brilliant first light of day, they couldn’t help but think of Kagome, the woman who brought them together.Yukina touched the swell of her belly, rubbing their soon to be little girl, Kanna. They remembered something Kagome said once..

“No big deal. It’s alright to cry. Sometimes.”


************************************************************************ ************************************************************************

Sesshoumaru was seated at his desk, sorting through the paperwork for a new peace summit. He still marveled at the fact the other lords had agreed to meeting and consorting with human officials who weren’t of the monk and miko persuasion. Once again, Kagome had proven him wrong. Pease was possible with a little incentive.

Too bad for him the incentive was to lose the only woman who could ever complete him. He watched the sunlight flood his once dark room, as a torrent of light blue hair fell and mixed into his silver mane.

“ Sesshoumaru, you’ve got to stop working yourself to death. She wouldn’t have wanted it that way.”

Sesshoumaru sighed before pulling the Lady of Death into his arms. She had offered him relief from his pain, and he had taken it. They watched the sun rise as they each took comfort in the beating of their hearts.

************************************************************************ ************************************************************************

Yusuke and Keiko watched little Hakudoushi run amok, trying to get him ready fr his first day of junior high. They kissed his cheek and watched as the bus driver slammed the door behind him, taking off into the rising sun.

The couple laughed before kissing each other. Keiko frowned suddenly.
“ Yusuke, do you know what day it is?”

The much matured man nodded solemnly.” We gave somewhere to be today. She will apreiciate the company, I think.”

They thought of their friend, the warrior miko, and readied themselves for a hard day.


************************************************************************ ************************************************************************

Kagura looked up into a neon sky, letting the air play about her, as she wondered if they remembered the date. She stood at the gravesite, feeling the beauty of her best friend. In the first light, she looked the part of avenging angel. Kagura bowed to the image, before speaking the words kagome had spoken to her long ago, regarding death.

“ If I must die, may it be an honorable thing. Do not cry for me, remember me, and be strong. After all, the wings of the ones you love shall carry you to heaven.”


************************************************************************ ************************************************************************

Kuwabara and Hiei approached the cemetery, surprisingly, they had both been going that way at the same time. They were strange yin and yang. Large and small, strong and weak. Hiei insisted to himself that he only did this every year because the girl had deserved better then her lot.

When they came to the statue, he felt the crushing of his heart all over again. Kikyou was lucky her crystallized body was stored safely away from the evils of the world. Otherwise she would have been shattered into a thousand pieces.
They greeted the wind witch, who nodded, as they waited for the rest of the company to arrive.
When the wolf and the fox appeared, dragging a little boy by the hand, the kit stared up at the effigy, his little emerald eyes twinkling in wonder.

“ Who’s that, mommy?” He said, reaching a little demonic paw towards the heavens, as if to cup her cheek.

“ that is your aunt Kagome, Shippo. Do you know what she did?”

“What?”

Hiei answered the question, his usual monotone voice unwavering. “ She saved the world.”


************************************************************************ ************************************************************************


When they all arrived, they exchanged greetings. They didn’t really speak after that, they just bowed to the dead miko, thinking about her in a comfortable silence. Even though they tried to move on, it felt like they had left their hearts in the past with her.

Little Rin , who blinked her eyes at the miko, smiled. “ Can I give flowers to the pretty lady?”

Her parents choked back tears, before nodding. The little girl had spent the hour in the car braiding flower crowns from her fathers never ending supply. She set them around the mikos feet, grinning, until her parents gathered her to leave.

Miroku took Rin to the car, as Sango stepped forward. “Kagome, the girl is almost like you, but know that I miss you. Nothing will ever change that.” Sango set a small vial of red down before the girl. “ My blood, so you will always remember the woman who spilled it on the battlefield with you, so long ago.”

After the Taijiya left, Kagura steeped up, a fan in her hand. “ This weapon I give to you, so should you need a companion in the afterlife, you my find me.” The witch disappeared on a feather, shooting into the sky.

Kurama laid a blue rose on the little pedestal the woman was placed on. “ To a woman who loved the color of tears.”

Ayame looked sheepish, before placing a hand on her stomach. “ To a woman who brought love from darkness, a namesake I give you.”

Kurama’s eyes widened, before he picked up his mate, twirling her lightly in the air. They left , Shippo trailing behind, as he placed a top next to her. “ There’s always room for a little mischief!”

Sesshoumaru and Botan left the woman a picture of the both of them, silently taking their leave.

Kuwabara left nothing, just a smile and a wave.

Yusuke and Keiko grinned as they reached the girl, pulling something from a knapsack on her back, Keiko unwrapped it from a newspaper, before placing the music-box on the pedestal lightly. It was a monkey playing the cymbols on a barrel organ. Kagome had always wanted one, or so Inuyasha had said. She had loved it since she had read the Phantom of the Opera. They left, arms wrapped around each other .

Yukina and Inuyasha let tears fall at Kagome’s grave. The Koorime woman let them fall, before they placed prayer beads down. They had always been Kagome’s favorite, the last thing she had of her father. Inuyasha gripped Yukina tightly when they left, not wanting to lose the beautiful woman, like he had lost Kagome.

Hiei, stood, solitary, letting his hair whip in the wind. He stared at the woman he had once loved.

No words would fill this void, so none were spoken.

What seemed like an eternity passed, before Hiei withdrew a necklace out of his outfit.
He placed it around Kagome’s neck, being careful of the barriers on her form.

The black jewels shimmered as Hiei spoke, his voice quiet and hard as stone.

“ To the woman who made me weep, string my heart around your neck. My weakness belongs only to you.”

He disappeared into the glare of day, as people started their routines.


************************************************************************ ************************************************************************

The Miko and monks tried to de-crystallize the priestess Kikyou, and were having little luck. They had finally decided on a test. They decided to use sound waves. They watched, from inside a soundproof room, as the wavelengths tried to destabilize the stone woman.

Imagine their shock when the waves destroyed the delicate statue of the woman, who happened to be impaled upon a blade.

A black figure arose from her, and took off into the night.


************************************************************************ ************************************************************************

Kagome drifted in the peaceful darkness, letting the clam fill her soul. She felt a tearing, feeling pain for the first time in… a long time.

She saw a large black bird slam into her chest, and felt a strange feeling of.. Completion?
She opened her eyes for the first time in twenty -one years, feeling her legs collapse beneath her, her muscles atrophied.

She looked confused, before growling. She picked her cellphone out of the inside of her haori, dialing a number, with stiff fingers.

“ What the fuck am I doing in a cemetery?!”


An:: Ohh! Lol, You think you know who she is talking to? Just wait and see!