Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Time Traveler Meets Spirit Detective ❯ Chapter 17 ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha or Yu Yu Hakusho.

----------------------------

Chapter 17 - When We Approach the Doors of Despair

Kagome sighed as she picked up the shard from the demon they had just defeated. Naraku had told the truth about one thing. Kikyou had shattered the part of the jewel he had. Kagome doubted he had let the jewel shards stay away very long. She was sure this was the only one of his collection he'd missed. So now they had six jewel shards and Kouga had two.

Naraku's power must be practically overflowing. In fact, she was sure it was. They were getting closer to where Kouga had said he believed Naraku was, and Kagome could feel the tainted power singing as they got closer. She was sure they'd see Naraku's castle soon. It was too strong for them to be very far away.

"Hey, Kagome, snap out of it!" Kagome's head snapped up to find most of the group staring at her with varying degrees of worry and suspicion on their faces. Sango had been waving a hand in front of her face as she stared at the jewel shard in her hand.

Kagome gave a weak smiled and shrugged in apology. Sango sighed and glanced at the others. "Kagome, what's wrong? You've been edgy ever since we left Kouga's caves a couple days ago."

Kagome blushed and out of the corner of her eye she saw Yusuke attempting to hide his smirk. Her strange behavior then had nothing to do with why she was edgy now. That was all Yusuke's fault with the way he'd been watching her. He hadn't insisted on finishing the conversation they'd had that night, but she was pretty sure he had guessed what the other thing she would have regretted was. He didn't seem to mind either.

They'd only been a few hours out of the caves when that strange behavior had changed slightly, from the behavior of an embarrassed teenager to that of a miko girl who could feel taint with every breath she took. Kagome glanced down at the shard in her hand; pure and untainted now that it was in her hand, then up at Sango. "Nothings wrong Sango. I'm just thinking a bit much. Sorry for worrying you."

By the stubborn stares she was getting, she knew they didn't buy it. Even Yusuke was frowning now. Kagome slipped her shard into the bottle around her neck then tried to move out of the clearing. She was stopped by the most surprising of the group. Shippo tugged on her skirt, making her look down at her. "Kagome? Does it have to do with the shards? You've been staring at them an awful lot lately."

Kagome gaped down at the auburn-haired kitsune and opened her mouth to reassure him that it wasn't, everything was fine. She couldn't. "It does. We're close to Naraku. I think... By what I'm feeling, we'll be within seeing distance of his castle soon. If we can see it at all. If it's a castle."

There was a pause, then, "Why didn't you say anything before?" Inuyasha asked angrily.

"I wasn't sure before. I wasn't sure of anything. I could still be wrong. I just feel a taint. I know the jewel shards out there, but it's hard to pinpoint them, and they're dark. There's so much taint covering them it feels as if it's a whole different jewel than the shards of the one I hold." Kagome watched their faces and shrugged as they all still seemed a bit surprised.

"Whatever it is, if its not Naraku, then he'd have to dead, because there are too many jewel shards there and too much evil for it to be anything less than Naraku." Kagome blinked as Hiei suddenly disappeared and looked up, following her senses to see him in a tree. In an instant he was down again.

"There is a strange mist nearby," was all he said. The original shard hunters exchanged glances. What kind of mist would it be this time? Miasma, or something like the illusionary mist and plants that had trapped them once?

"Keh. There's always a strange mist about," Inuyasha commented snidely, not caring to admit the mist that someone else had had the foresight to watch for could be dangerous.

"We'll never find out what it is if we just stay here," Kuwabara pointed out.

They began to move back onto the path that had been on before chasing the demon. Inuyasha and Hiei went ahead of the group, Inuyasha running through the branches on the left of the group, and Hiei flitting from tree to tree calmly.

Sango and Miroku fell into step beside each other, silent but both feeling that the end could be near. They had traveled so long for this, and they both welcomed and dreaded the end of the quest. Questions ran through their minds, and Sango was looking off into the distance, barely paying attention to where she was. Miroku glanced at her and understood. He had two paths ahead of him depending on the outcome of the battle with Naraku. Freedom or death. For her, there was the problem of Kohaku.

Shippo sat on Kurama's shoulder, listening to stories of his days as Youko as the older redhead kept the kit's mind occupied. Kuwabara walked beside them, a small Kirara in his arms. Now that it seemed Naraku was near, the group seemed hesitant to use the speed Kirara provided. It wouldn't do to rush into things.

Botan had taken to the sky on her oar, providing another lookout from far above the treetops.

Yusuke and Kagome lagged behind the others with Puu held in Kagome's arms. Yusuke lifted an eyebrow. "Do you always have to be holding some small and furry?"

"No. I just like to. It gives me something to hold, and with Shippo it gave him comfort he didn't know he needed. Now I'm just missing Shippo, so I'm stealing Puu. I might keep him. Would you like that?" Kagome asked, directing the last question at the creature in her arms. Yusuke snickered as Puu made a negative 'Puu!' in the back of his throat.

"He's made from my feelings remember? You can't keep him. Unless you want to keep me too?" Yusuke asked teasingly, rewarded by the embarrassed blush that stained her cheeks.

Yusuke eyed her when she stopped blushing and looked at Puu again, this time thoughtfully. Then she grinned, pushing thoughts of fights to the death and friends dying to the back of her mind. "And what if I did?"

Yusuke forced his gaze away from her, but smirked as he looked ahead of them. "I wouldn't have a problem with it. I think your dog might."

"His bark is worse than his bite when it comes to what I want. The great Yusuke Urameshi scared of a doggie?" Yusuke's eyes narrowed playfully at her teasing voice.

"You know, I wonder what he'd say if he knew you'd referred to him as a dog?" Yusuke asked while sliding out of her reach as she glared at him.

"You started it, I was just using the term dog because you did," She answered with a scowl.

"Blaming me? That's mature." Yusuke smirked at her and she glared back at him.

"You wouldn't know maturity if it bit you."

"Describe what it looks like. I think it bit me on my last birthday. I might even have pictures." Yusuke blinked as she tilted her head and gave a slight sigh. "What'd I say?"

"Nothing. My last birthday was just spent here, that's all. The rain flooded the land while we were traveling and we couldn't get back to the well until a couple of weeks after. I was just remembering." Kagome smiled sadly, but looked up when Yusuke nudged her to get her attention.

"I still got you beat. I had to go on a mission on my sixteenth birthday. One of the damn demons bit me."

"So you did get bit by maturity and not know it, is that what you're saying?" Kagome grinned and met Yusuke's smirk. They both were silent for a few moments, enjoying the warm atmosphere that seemed to separate them from their companions.

The atmosphere slowly dampened as Kagome got lost in her thoughts, the tainted power closing in on her senses. Her companions had all quieted long ago besides Kurama, who still tried to tell his stories. Finally he fell silent too as he realized Shippo was no longer listening.

"Kurama?" Shippo asked, his question ringing in the dead air.

"Yes, Shippo?"

"Will Naraku kill us?" Everyone missed a step at Shippo's unexpected question, but Kurama shook his head. "You were holding your own against him before we came, weren't you? Perhaps losing a bit now and then, but still overall holding out, correct?"

"Yeah, but-" Shippo tried to protest.

"And now we too have come to help you. We will protect each other. I promise." Everyone noted there was no promise that none of them would die, just that they would protect each other. Shippo was content with that.

"At least one of us is blunt enough to ask," Kagome said softly. Yusuke heard her and grimaced, stuffing his hands in his pockets before dropping behind a few steps. He definitely liked her school's skirt. He was surprised that anyone could do their schoolwork with the girls dressed like that. Yusuke smirked but was forced to bring his eyes back up to her face when she stopped.

"Yusuke," she said flatly. He grinned innocently. "Stop that."

"Stop what Kagome?" Yusuke asked. The rest of the group exchanged glances as they took a small break as Kagome blushed. "Stop staring."

"But I was just admiring your skirt Kagome!" Yusuke mock protested. Kagome tried to hold a glare and found herself half-turned away, biting her lip not to laugh at the innocent expression on his face. Miroku was much better at it; he'd practiced his whole life at it. Unfortunately, Miroku wasn't half so nice looking doing it. While, maybe to Sango.

Apparently Kagome's thoughts were a cue for the hourly comedy routine of Sango and Miroku.

"Pervert!" Kagome watched idly as Sango's boomerang slammed into Miroku's skull, removing his hand and making his head meet the dirt.

"But, I was simply-"

"What? Getting a bee off my back end? I don't fall for that innocent look as easily as Kagome does Yusuke's."

"Hey!" Kagome and Yusuke whined in unison. They glanced at each other and Kagome giggled quietly.

"Can we get a move on?" Inuyasha asked harshly.

"Let's stop for lunch," Botan suggested suddenly as she swooped down. "If Kagome and Yusuke are done flirting of course."

"Don't forget Miroku and Sango, Botan," Kagome chimed in, ignoring the looks she was getting for not denying the first part.

"Oh yes, and them. We can't forget them," Botan said mockingly. Both girls squeaked and scrambled away when Sango turned to glare at them. The boys looked on with amusement until Yusuke was forced to join in when Kagome darted behind him.

"Hey, don't get me involved in this!" Yusuke protested while eyeing the angry taijya. Kagome grinned and muffled a giggle. "Too late. C'mon, you can take Sango."

"When it comes to her and Miroku, Naraku couldn't take her," Inuyasha called from the safety of a tree. Sango whirled around and glared at the hanyou. Inuyasha smirked and watched Miroku rise from the ground.

"Does this mean I have all of your blessings to court Lady Sango?" Miroku asked, wiping his face clear and trying to make himself look as innocent as possible. Kagome snickered, as did Botan, but both quickly went back to hiding when Sango began to glare at them again.

"You know, you face demon by the hundreds but you can't face your best friend?" Yusuke asked incredulously over his shoulder. She grinned but he didn't see it and shrugged. "Like Inuyasha says, when it comes to her and Miroku, she can get scary."

"You know, I noticed you didn't get scary when Botan said something about us." Yusuke smirked and felt her tense behind him. She was strangely silent, and then there was a sudden rustling and he looked over to find her going through her bag getting out her cooking supplies. Yusuke scowled angrily, and soft giggling came from the general direction of Botan, as well as snickering from some of the others.

"Oh shut up," Yusuke muttered, scowling as he watched Kagome work. The others got right down to lunch once it was cooked, and Inuyasha was sitting in the tree above Kagome as Yusuke sat beside her. It seemed to be a ritual most meal times now. Except before Yusuke had at least left some space between himself and Kagome. Now there was practically none at all.

Inuyasha growled warningly, as he had done the past couple of days this had been going on. When had that boy become so sure of himself? Before, neither of them did more than talk to her. Inuyasha sat back with a snarl as his warnings were unheeded. It had to have something to do with that conversation in the cave a couple of days ago. Ever since then Yusuke had been acting like he knew something the others didn't. Something Kagome had said.

The others seemed to find it amusing, and Kagome, though usually finding herself embarrassed - and therefore making Yusuke amused - seemed more comfortable with it now. Today they'd done it automatically, as Kagome had sat down last this time, and she kept staring off down the path, shivering.

"Closer?" Yusuke asked her quietly.

"Yeah. We'll be there soon. Another hour or two, if that." Kagome sh`ifted Puu over to Yusuke's lap as Shippo yawned and walked over to her. Immediately the fox was curled up for the remainder of their lunch break. Kagome smiled and ran her fingers through his hair softly. The kitsune shifted slightly in his sleep, but made no other movements.

"He sleeps more than he helps," Hiei commented with a slight glare. Kurama's head snapped up and he took up the defense of the kit. "He's a growing child. He needs his sleep."

There were a few raised eyebrows at that and Kagome stifled her giggles. Hiei simply stared at first one, then the other kitsune and announced, "Foxes."

"Keh. He has a point. When does the brat ever help out?" Inuyasha called down.

"Perhaps he's not as strong as you in battle, but at least he helps out with other things," Kagome stated angrily. Yusuke glared up at the hanyou, though the blue creature that had flown up and landed on his head offset the glare’s effect.

"Keh," Inuyasha commented.

Sango sighed and wondered how stupid Inuyasha could be. At least he'd managed to stave off from saying anything else stupid. Kagome was protective enough of Shippo that he could've been sat for the first comment alone. "Are we all done?"

At the chorus of positive answers, the girls began to clean up, pausing when they noticed the boys just sitting there. Yusuke smiled smugly. "Don't look at me. I have two things I'm taking care of already," Yusuke said, nodding towards the sleeping kitsune Kagome had passed to him and attempting to look towards Puu on top of his head.

"I will help," Kurama offered immediately, going with them to the stream. Sango dragged Miroku along, and Kuwabara offered to help too, saying that he didn't want the girls to hurt themselves.

Despite the way they wanted to answer, the girls did accept his help. Soon they were packed and moving again, more talkative than before, but a shadow clouded their thoughts. They would soon be at Naraku's doorstep.

As Kagome had predicted, it was a bit more than an hour when they reached the mist. Yusuke no longer wondered why Hiei had been able to see the mist from so far away. It stuck out. It went far above them, and extended as far as any of them could see. It would have been hard to miss it. It might go on for miles for all they knew.

"So...right through here and we're there?" Yusuke asked.

"You make it sound easy," Kagome said, her expression darkening.

"Isn't it?" Yusuke asked, slightly confused.

"I doubt it. I wouldn't be surprised if we're separated seconds after going in," Sango said, shifting her weight, her whole body tense. She looked like any sudden movements from that mist and she'd pounce on something.

"Keh. You're all worried about nothing," Inuyasha scoffed, and then walked straight into the mist. There was silence for a moment, then Kagome asked, "Inuyasha?"

There was no answer and Kagome rolled her eyes. "Why is he so stubborn? Sango said it, but he didn't believe. Let's try and keep each other in seeing distance."

When no one moved she pointed into the mist with one trembling hand. The girls frowned but Yusuke shook his head at them. He would take care of it. They slowly went into the mist. Kagome tried to follow, but Yusuke held her back. Shippo and Puu were both put on the ground as he kept her still. "They'll be fine. What's wrong with you?"

"Nothings wrong," Kagome said a bit too quickly for his taste.

He scowled at her, brown eyes narrowed in thought. "Bull. You're hands are shaking. You're afraid."

"Of course I'm afraid! We're going to go fight Naraku and- and- What if some of us die? What if Sango dies? What if she has to kill Kohaku? What if-"

Yusuke stopped by clamping his hand over her mouth and waited for her to calm down. She calmed, but still added one when he lifted his hand. "What if you die?"

Yusuke actually grinned at her and she looked hurt. He shook his head. "I won't. I've already died once. Possibly twice, I'm not sure if the thing at the Saint Beasts castle counts. I've filled up my quota for dying. Besides, there are a lot more of you now. With us added to your shard hunting gang, we're unbeatable."

"There were more of us a few days ago, too." Yusuke winced at the reminder that she'd been hurt. She continued. "He has masses of demons at his command. We need to be careful."

Yusuke sighed and nodded, letting her go. A strange look came over her face before she took another step towards him and put her hands on his shoulders. He was surprised when she closed her eyes and placed her lips on his. It was only for an instant, and she had taken two steps back again before he realized exactly what she'd done.

Her smile was different, as if she had finally done something. Then she said, "Now I'll have one less thing to regret."

Yusuke had an instant to register the comment in his mind and remember their earlier conversation. A chill went up his spine. She was already walking towards the mist, her strides even. He stopped her with a rough hand on her arm. "Whatever you're thinking, Kagome, forget it. Not gonna happen!"

She gave him a small smile, but she didn't deny that she was thinking something. She stood still and took a deep breath. "Yusuke, let me go. Please."

"No way. Not with what you just said!" He was seething and she flinched back from the anger in his eyes. Then another voice that they had forgotten called out, horror and sadness making the voice tremble. "Kagome? You wouldn't leave us, would you?"

Yusuke turned to look at Shippo, briefly loosening his grip as he stared at the crying kit. Let’s see her deny the kit anything. He turned back, already a triumphant look in his eyes, not noticing that his hand no longer held anything. "Yeah Kagome, would...you...?"

Yusuke stared at the spot she'd been in and ground his teeth together. "I'm going to kill her. If she's already dead, I'll make Koenma bring her back and I'll strangle her. Stupid girl. She's going to get herself killed!"

For some odd reason, the last comment sounded more afraid than angry. Then he gathered the crying kitsune in his arms and Puu landed on his head. The angry teenager marched after his girl, but somewhere in the back of his mind, something was whispering that she was going to be dead, and Koenma couldn't bring her back when she died in another time period. He wouldn't mess with things like this anyway. She was going to get herself killed, and he wouldn't be there to stop her from doing something stupid.

------------------

Thank you to tbiris, Hieis_Mate, and katie patie for reviewing. Please do so again! Only two chapters and an epilogue after this.