Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Mission in America ❯ For Darlene ( Chapter 25 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
"Quit looking at me like that," muttered Shenkan, leaning up against the door to the room. She listened carefully, but her pumpkin with the defeated look (painted on, of course) continued to stare at her. "I said cut it out! The Y. A. T. M. S. may have teamed me up with a stupid put-upon pumpkin, but I'm not going to blow my cover because of you."

Edging closer to the door, she was able to hear voices.

"I don't think you're fat," said Kurama, flipping through the pages of the photo album once more.

"I don't know," replied Genkai, looking up at the ceiling. "Maybe that psycho ninja with the chain whip had a point. I have gained a few pounds."

Psycho ninja. That could only be one person. "Muriko!" shouted Shenkan, kicking the door in. "Where is she?" Genkai and Kurama stared. Shenkan continued to search the room. Yusuke slouched in with a half-shaven face, and Genkai cracked up at the sight of him, considering that he was much too young to shave, and half his face was cut to ribbons.

"Who the heck are you?" exclaimed Yusuke, slamming his bloody razor on a nearby table. Shenkan looked at him, then checked behind her, realized her partner wasn't there, ran out of the room for a minute, then came back with the pumpkin tucked under her arm.

"My name is Shenkan, this is my partner, Darlene, and we are from the Y. A. T. M. S.," she said, suddenly tempted to drop Darlene on her fragile head, but reconsidered.

"Is that supposed to stand for something, or is it some kind of freaky abbreviation used to spell "yatums" or whatnot and it means absolutely nothing but it just sounds right?" asked Genkai, standing up to take a better look at the object under Shenkan's arm. "And is that a pumpkin?"

"It stands for Yelling At The Moon Society, and no, she is not a pumpkin, she is my very good friend and partner," Shenkan replied, looking a little put-upon herself. Everyone was silent for a moment.

"Maybe you should leave," Yusuke said, rolling his eyes and beginning to shove her out the door. Shenkan resisted.

"I'm not leaving until you tell me... where..." Shenkan trailed off, taking a good look at Genkai. "Wow. I must be a complete idiot." Using Darlene, she bashed herself over the head and was knocked unconcious.

She aroused moments later, the Spirit Detectives and the others surrounding her, looking partially concerned, but mostly skeptical.

"Why the heck did you knock yourself out with a pumpkin?" asked Yusuke, cocking one eyebrow. Shenkan sat up immediately and everyone jumped back.

"For the last time, she is not a pumpkin! She is my friend! My partner! We went through years of training together!" Everyone was looking off at the other side of the room, and Shenkan turned around as well. Kuwabara was at the stove, frying Darlene.

"Hey guys, want some pumpkin?" he asked, turning it with a spatula. "Shizuru always fried it for me. She said that killed the parasites that wanted to eat my brain, and I better like it or the devil will eat... my soul and... Why are you guys looking at me like that?"

Yugi ran off to barf somewhere, and everyone else looked very, very put-upon.