Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ 3 wishes ❯ dragon flies are like years ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

3 wishes

"You're always so cold" muttered the dark haired girl that gently cradled her best friends head on her lap. Hiei made a huffing noise and closed his eyes. "I'm supposed to be" he muttered back to her. She snorted and looked up at the sky. She hated when he was this way, cold, insensitive, and he treated her like she was a stranger and not even his friend anymore. Her amber eyes gazed intently at his face and she slowly smiled. He looked so peaceful right before he was about to fall asleep.

"I have to leave tomorrow." She bent down and whispered in his ear. Hiei grunted and sat up hugging her around her waist. "I don't understand why you're going" he said slowly and with his free hand picked at a few blades of grass. "Because life is unfair and I'm not growing up the way my father thinks I should" she murmured back to him. Hiei growled and his grip on her tightened. "I don't like your father." he said in a low voice. She laughed patting his back. "He isn't that bad" she retorted and hugged him. He grunted as she attempted to move and stand. "Aren't you going to say goodbye?" he asked tilting his head. "Of course I am I'm not leaving until tomorrow though" she said in a soft sad voice. Her eyes brimmed with tears she didn't want to leave him. They had been best friends forever. The two of them were only pre-teens; they were just innocent victims of the cold cruel world and circumstances.

"I will miss you Hiei" she said in a small voice just as she began to sniffle and a tear escaped her eye. "I will miss you as well" he said hugging her, by a great deal she was smaller than him and less bold, where one of them was flawed the other would fill in that gap and with one gone it couldn't be that way anymore. There was a metal clank and in her hand was her silver and emerald crest. "I want you to keep this" she said as she put it around his neck. He nodded and smiled he hated to see her so sad. "I want you to keep this" he said pulling off his silver skulled ring with sapphires for eyes. "Good bye Starburst-Chan" she said hugging him one last time and disappearing into the darkness of the garden. She jumped the fence and he didn't see her after that.

~*~*~Five years later~*~*~

Hiei growled walking into the newest school he was sent to, it was a boarding school like all the rest he had been to but this one had both girls and boys unlike all of the others and now he was seventeen. Suddenly he saw a flicker of red and then noticed someone he knew actually three someone's. Yusuke was cleverly pissing Kuwabara off and using Kurama to stand behind so the idiot didn't attack him.

He smirked and headed over to the trio. "I didn't think you idiots were going to leave your prissy little private school" he snapped coldly at him. "We wouldn't have if we hadn't gotten expelled" Kurama said back and sighed moving out from between Yusuke and Kuwabara. Kuwabara charged at Yusuke but missed and he slammed into a girl sending her crashing into lockers. Her black pleated skirt and red button up long sleeve were now bunched up. For a moment the group thought she was unconscious but slowly she stood up and brushed herself off glaring at the floor as she did so. "What happened?" asked her friend rushing over and helping to dust her off. "Just an immature jerk" the girl said and shook her black hair out of the rubber band it was in and shot the rubber band at Kuwabara nailing him in the forehead. "Jerk" she muttered as she walked away her friend grumbling every word she knew in Japanese at them. Moments later she came back and snatched the rubber band away from Kuwabara and walked away, none of them even getting a chance to see her face.

Hiei sighed, he and Kurama both first had chemistry so headed there together. The teacher was already taking roll call. She looked at them un-approvingly for being late but continued calling out names. "Akuma yuatari?" the teacher called. She called the name again and after that once more. Finally a girl looked up unemotionally. The teacher glared at her expectantly. "You're supposed to say here and stand up" she said and tapped her foot waiting for the girl to do either of them. The girl simply starred at her not saying anything. An older looking male jabbed her in the ribs. "H-here!" she squeaked out in the smallest voice she could. When the professor called Hiei's name he stood and said here as expected of him. The girl, Akuma looked over at him visibly shaken by something. When Kurama was called she sank in her seat glaring at the floor and slowly raised her hand shakily. After a moment she stumbled over to the professor and murmured something to her then moments later was leaving the room her friend following right after her.

"What's up with her?" asked Kurama looking at the closed door.

"I don't know but I'm going to find out" Hiei muttered back to him in a hiss of a voice so the professor wouldn't hear the two talking amongst themselves. He promptly set his Jagan on the girls so he could keep track of them until class ended then he would get answers. The male that had jabbed Akuma in the ribs was now glaring over at the both Hiei and Kurama. When classes ended he trounced over to the two unhappily.

"You're the friend of that creep that ran into my sister and almost hurt her today aren't you" he asked coldly

"Yeah we are what is it to you?!?" snapped Kurama back angrily.

"Stay away from my girlfriend or there will be hell to pay" he muttered and stalked off to find where Akuma and her friend went to hide.

Hiei walked out of the room trailing after Kurama and glaring at the floor thinking of the girl. She didn't seem to be in any terms connected to this world it was as though she managed to tune them out so long that she had forgotten how to come back to reality out of her dreams.

"She's in the gym" Kurama said quietly so only Hiei could hear him.

"I see this" Hiei said nodding and walking off to the gym while Kurama went to catch up to Yusuke and Kuwabara.

Akuma was delicately balanced in the middle of two ropes high up in the air. She closed her eyes letting herself limply drop surprisingly she knew what she was doing. She landed on a thick overly large mat. She climbed up the wall once more her nails digging in between the boards on the wall and pulling herself up as she went along. She slowly made her way to the middle of the ropes and jumped twisting around as she went down. The moment she hit the mat she bounced up high enough to land on her feet skillfully.

The red headed male that had threatened both Hiei and Kurama walked into the gym settling on the bleachers and watching her. Akuma looked up and pressed her lips tightly together, she said nothing. She spun in circles making her seem as though she were only a blur of skin and clothing. Finally she stopped and began to kick at the air. She began to punch now her face the only thing letting her small audience know that she was concentrating. Within moments she had started up sparring with an opponent that didn't exist.

The red headed male slowly walked over to her and rested a hand lightly on her shoulder.

"Come on you need a break" he said quietly and escorted her out of the room his grasp on her arm was light and tender. He sighed ruffling her hair lightly making her frown lightened slightly and for her to follow after him obediently.

Hiei followed after the two of them silently suddenly he crashed into the girl that had always been by Akuma's side even as she fled the chemistry class.

"Leave meh lovies alone" only she said in a deep English accent and glared at him. Her maroon colored hair framed her pale face making her look all the more intimidating. But Hiei didn't back down.

"I'm going to find out what you and your little sissy friends are doing sneaking around here" he snapped glaring right back at her making her slowly back down.

The girl muttered something and fled down the hall as though she had seen a ghost. Hiei looked around he had lost track of Akuma because of that girl. Suddenly from somewhere to his left there was a loud bang. Someone had been slammed into a set of lockers. He made his way down the other hall slowly. In front of him he couldn't believe at the scene that was unfolding. The girl, Akuma had been thrown into the lockers and a group of girls was slowly surrounding her. She didn't seem to notice it or maybe it was that she didn't care.

"Your slow and your stupid and you know what girl its beginning to annoy us how you just trounced into this school and stole our guys attentions, and my guy!" the blonde haired girl shouted in Akuma's face. Hiei could only guess the girl was the leader of the others.

Two of the girls reached into there purses and pulled out wrenches they had gotten from the wood shop class. Akuma simply leaned back against the lockers starring at them coldly and calculatingly.

"She's stolen nothing!" her maroon haired friend shouted crouching down beside her.

"Let them" Akuma finally said in a harsh dark voice. She didn't bother hiding the fact that she hated these girls.

"Your always drawing lets just see what your drawing" the blonde snapped snatching Akuma's notebook and flipping through it.

Akuma now seemed horribly alarmed she jumped to her feet and snatched the book away. She glared at the girls and slammed the leader into a locker.

"Don't touch what isn't yours" she said in a clear but tainted with hate voice.

Her eyes flashed softly at her friend and she pulled her friend to her feet and began to walk swiftly towards Hiei. She bowed slightly to him.

"Thank you for not intruding" she murmured politely then walked off her hair swaying behind her slowly and rhythmically

Moments later she was stopped by Kurama who was being tailed by Yusuke and Kuwa. She sighed rubbing her temples slightly. Why did god hate her so much?

"Join us for lunch" Yusuke said as the three of them surrounded her gently nudging her towards the lunch room.

She nodded slowly. It's not like the group would hurt her if they didn't have a reason to. Her eyes flashed and they settled at an empty table all of them starring at one another and none of them sure what to say. Finally Hiei walked over settling next to Akuma with his tray of food. Her nose wrinkled up in disgust she personally couldn't stand eating more than one meal a day.

Hiei looked over at her he saw something flash around her neck. When she leaned forward he saw it again. ON a silver chain was the silver skull ring he had given his best friend before she had left. No wonder he felt possessed to follow the girl around. At the same time her eyes flickered and she noticed the glint of silver from her family crest.

"You" she murmured pulling it out from under his shirt where it had been tucked away. She ran her fingers over the cool metal slowly a small smile on her face as she did.

"Starburst-Chan" she whispered leaning against him slightly. Hiei grunted as though he didn't care or thought she was crazy.

There was a low growl beside him and he was shoved away from her. Rei, her boyfriend settled beside her. Hiei grunted and shook his head seemingly not caring about him being protective about her. A soft yelp came from Akuma and suddenly the next thing Hiei knew was Rei was on the floor and Akuma was standing over him her lunch tray in hand and an angry scowl on her face.

"Don't you ever and I mean ever touch me again" she spat venomously at him and kicked him for good measures.

Hiei watched as Akuma fidgeted for a moment then suddenly was pushed against him as her friend settled beside her. Akuma's eye twitched slightly but she made the best of it and rested her head on his shoulder. Her nose wrinkled again and she cringed. The smell of school food made her sick to her stomach. Slowly she exhaled and turned her head away glowering. Her bad mood hadn't changed any from earlier that morning.

Hiei sighed tearing a piece of his roll off and shoving it in her mouth. Instantly he was rewarded with a coughing and choking noise. He sighed grabbing his soda and pushing it to her lips silently commanding her to drink. She closed her eyes but took a few sips. He smirked making her darkly turn away from him.

Yusuke stared across the table at the two of them. He had never seen Hiei even act this remotely open to anyone. He grinned as Keiko settled at the table beside them her eyes instantly landing on Akuma and her friend. Akuma didn't notice her though she was busy plotting against Hiei. Her friend reached over and smacked Hiei; while he was distracted Akuma went to work on his food. She swirled it all together minus the soda. She remembers him always complaining when his food was mixed all together.

When Hiei turned back to his food he slammed his hands down on the table causing it to shake. He glared spitefully at Akuma who was resting her head on the table while smirking cockily. What he did next made everyone stare at the two of them in shock. He hit her beside the head with his tray growling at her. Instantly Akuma fell out of the seat letting out a long howl of a wailing noise hurting everyone's ears.

Hiei covered her mouth instantly silencing her and pulled her up on the bench. Akuma blinked in surprise of his strength he had pulled her up with one arm. He reached to his side grabbing her and tugging at the bottom of her shirt. Slowly she began to understand. She shifted so she was straddling the bench but still close to him. He nodded in approval and sighed just as Kurama's voice rang in his head.

`Getting a little close aren't we?' Hiei looked over and glared at Kurama.

`Stay out of this fox-boy' he snapped coldly.

Akuma suddenly spun around and glared full on at Kurama.

"Pervert" she muttered looking away from him and closing her eyes briefly. Hiei chuckled at her, making her look at the floor to keep from loosing her temper and hurting the whole lot of them.

"Asshole" the maroon haired girl snapped at him, the vein in her head twitching violently as she did. Kurama tilted his head at her, it seemed no one but Akuma knew her name.

As if sensing her thoughts the girl held her hand out for him to shake. "I'm Feyona" she said quietly. He shook her hand firmly. Kurama was surprised at the strong grip she had. He shook his head for a moment and smiled.

"Kurama Youko" he said starring her in the eye.

Visibly the girl flinched she pulled her hand back. "Youko woah... strange last name" she muttered nervously and tugged at her collar as though she knew something about him that she wasn't supposed to. She cleared her throat and leaned back as far as she could away from the group. Akuma simply smiled at her and nodded, quickly Feyona jumped to her feet and dashed out of the room. Kurama's brows came together in confusion. Slowly he got up and followed after her.

Feyona looked behind her and spotted him. `Kuso leave me alone' she thought as she sped around the corner and out the front doors to her car. Kurama rushed in front of her causing her to slide and slam into him. She narrowed her eyes at him and snorted.

"Stop following me" she said coldly, there was a sudden itch behind her ear. She groaned how could this happen to her she had kept up her illusions for years without being caught and just like that she was caught. She twitched and covered her head with her hands. Slowly she turned towards him and glared.

From between her fingers slowly appeared two black cat ears. She growled lunging at him with her fangs bared. Feyona slammed him into the side of her black Ferrari. Her eyes flashed red for a moment and she elbowed him sharply in the ribs. Kurama's eyes flickered in amusement he had never met a cat demon and secretly wondered if they all were like this. He karate chopped the side of her neck instantly paralyzing her and opening a portal. With a sigh he dropped her beside Koenma's desk.

"I thought demons were supposed to stay in cover" he muttered while looking at her. Feyona even while unconscious had a certain high and gracious look to her.

"Not all of them some try to live human lives" Koenma said and looked over the edge of his desk at the slumbering Cat demon that looked more or less like a sweet and innocent kitten. "Which makes me wonder Kurama if she was doing no harm then why is she here?" Koenma said angrily and glared at him. Kurama couldn't help but chuckle I mean Koenma was grouching and yelling at him and he barely came up to his knee in height.

"I actually don't know it just seems that it was the logical thing to do at the moment" he said shrugging and nudging her sleeping form lightly with his foot.

Her eyes slowly blinked open and she glared at him. Her piercing blue eyes locked onto Kurama's. She hissed making her tail flicker out behind her and her ears flatten against her head.

"Send me home!" she snapped with a dark growl. Her spirit energy began to whip around her angrily. Feyona was going to make sure they knew that she was a force not to be reckoned with. She snatched Koenma's large chair out from under him and charged at the two of them, then she gave it a throw. Instantly she calmed down and looked around.

"Could you take me back to school?" she asked walking up to Kurama and smiling as though she hadn't done anything. He slowly nodded and opened a portal nudging her into it with his hand. She looked at it in confusion but slowly entered it.

"thank you" she said calmly as she went to locate Akuma. She found Akuma in the detention room glaring Dagger's at Hiei. Feyona smirked cockily and sat beside Akuma at a empty desk.

"Hiei got us in trouble" Akuma complained and kicked him under the desks.

Yusuke and Kuwabara also glared over at him. "Yeah got us in trouble as well" Yusuke said in a growl of a voice.

Hiei simply sat there smirking with his arms crossed across his chest. He sneered slightly at Akuma for making a whining noise every once and awhile. She simply ignored him and flipped him off. One of Hiei's brows lifted upon seeing her one finger salute. His smirk suddenly got even larger.

"Where and when?" he asked making her flush and look away from him.

"Jerk" she muttered quietly and threw her pencil at his head, making it get caught in his hair. Hiei tilted his head and reached up trying to pull the pencil out of his hair only to find that she had stuck her gum to it and it wouldn't budge. Kuwa by now was laughing his ass off at his partially sticky pink new hair.

Akuma glared at him and motioned for him to lean over. He slowly did so silently contemplating whether it was another trick or not. She skillfully began to tug and twist at his hair. Within moments the gob of gum was in her hand and just as quickly it was on the bottom of the desk and she was smiling cockily and warningly at him. Hiei grunted and turned away from her growling at her and rubbing his head with one of his hands.