Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ 30_kisses ❯ Just a Dream? ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Fandom: Yu Yu Hakusho
Title: Just a Dream?
Theme: 6. The space between dream and reality
Paring: Kuronue/Yusuke
Disclaimer: Yu Yu Hakusho (c) Yoshihiro Togashi
Summary: Dream and Reality, what do you do when the line suddenly becomes blurred?
J.U.S.T.A.D.R.E.A.M
Dreams, something no one can escape as they slumber. Images in your head, that's all it was, all it would ever be. In your dreams you can not be harmed, you can not be touched. Or so one would think.
Yusuke Urameshi never looked into the deeper meaning of his dreams, it was pointless. You had them while asleep, but once awake they faded into nothing along with the rising sun. Most of the time you would forget the moment you awoke, dreams just weren't a big deal. Or so he had thought.
Yusuke looked out at the rising sun from his spot on the roof. The sky was painted with a vast array of colors varying from deep blues to light pinks and yellows. He had taken to the habit of going up there and looking out when he was lost in thought. He couldn't be certain why, maybe because of his youkai heritage? Hm, he should ask Kurama the next time he saw him. He closed his eyes and sighed, a small white cloud appeared before his lips as he did so. It seemed that winter was coming early, not that he really minded. Maybe the youkai would slow down their constant attacks on the Ningenkai during this time, then again maybe not. It was like wishing on a shooting star.
He let his mind wander to a previous time, a time when the Ningenkai had been in danger. But it wasn't Yakumo that instantly jumped into his mind, no. It was one of his lackeys, the one that had the displeasure of pissing Kurama off. Somehow the youkai thought it would be smart to transform into Kurama's old partner and warp his memories of their friendship. Seeing as the Ningenkai was still itself, he wasn't successful and they were able to get to Yakumo. But it wasn't the youkai he was thinking of either, it was Kurama's old partner. An odd person to be thinking of, he knew. But he had his reasons, for he was certain that he was in his dream.
After Yakumo was destroyed, later on Yusuke had prodded Kurama into telling him a bit about his old partner. Back then it had been mere curiosity, but now he was glad he even asked. He didn't forget things as quickly as most would assume, when he wanted to remember he did. Yusuke had been intrigued by the seemingly important pendant that the bat was so adamant to keep with him. He couldn't tell Yusuke why Kuronue had carried it on him at all times, nor why it was so important for he didn't know himself. He was Kurama's senior by a hundred years, not a lot to a youkai, but to a human the difference was great. His thieving skills were impassable, but his code breaking skills were definitely lacking. Kuronue rarely left an area without tripping some sort of alarm, when Kurama came along he quickly remedied that problem. The bat was as mysterious as the night itself and was as hard to catch as smoke. Yusuke chuckled to himself; the youkai reminded him of Hiei in that department.
He lay down on the roof and looked up; a few clouds covered his vision of the deep blue sky with the possible promise of rain or snow later on. His left arm was tucked beneath his head while he right rested on his chest, fiddling with a pendant around his neck. As he clasped his hand around the necklace his thoughts whirled back to his dream.
His dream had been unlike those he had before. The ambiance of it was surprisingly calm, although dark. A mist had been around him, if he remembered correctly. He had been alone, that is, until a still unknown figure wrapped his arms around him from behind. Yusuke, for some reason, hadn't been able to move. He didn't flinch when the man spoke, his voice soft and silky. He spoke words that the young detective, for the life of him, couldn't remember. They were promises, he supposed, and they brought a sort of comfort to him. Promises of coming, of taking, of belonging, of loving. Something had been placed around his neck at that time. He had attempted to turn around, but the other male refused to let him. He could still hear the words in his mind, constantly replaying over and over again.
`No, now is not the time, but we shall meet soon enough. Wake up Yusuke, wake up knowing that you will not be alone much longer.' After the words had been spoken Yusuke's eyes had been covered and a kiss placed upon his lips in yet another promise, this one unspoken.
Of course he had done just that, woken up. However, when he had awoken a pendant was around his neck. One that wasn't there before. Yusuke opened his hand and looked at the pendant once again. It was silver; the top was narrow, but widened to accommodate the red jewel placed in the middle of it. The chain looked so thin and fragile, but was stronger than it looked. For some reason, he couldn't help but believe the words that had been spoken to him in his dream. If his assumptions of who the youkai in his dreams was correct, then all waiting would be lost before it even began. He had been long dead for centuries now and, after all, it was just that…a dream. Right?