Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ A Battle for One ❯ A Battle for One ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Hey, everyone! I'm back and I decided to make my second fic a Yu Yu Hukusho fic. I hope you enjoy it. I've been working on it since I finished my last one.

^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V

Yusuke and Kuwabara were walking down the street talking about anything that would keep their interest. They were about to start a new topic when they saw Kurama walking down the street towards them.

"Hey, Kurama!" Yusuka called out when he was in hearing range.

"Afternoon, Yusuke, Kuwabara." Kurama smiled as he stepped up next to them and Hiei jumped down from the tree he was on. "Botan sent us to come and find you."

"She said she wanted to tell us all something important." Hiei finished.

Botan then came in appearance flying on her oar. "Good, you found them. Okay, you guys…"

"Hold it, Botan. If this is another mission from Koenma than you can just forget it. This is our summer break and I need…" Yusuke interrupted.

"Don't worry, Yusuke. It's not a mission; sort of. Our equipment has tracked a demon the came into the real world a few hours ago. The only problem is that we're not sure if they're a threat or not, but nothing has happened so far and to be honest we're not sure what kind of demon it is." Botan started again.

"So what do you want us to do about it?" Kuwabara asked, fixing up his hair acting like he wasn't paying attention.

"Koenma asked me to tell you guys just to be on your guard for now."

They all nodded and Hiei went off in his own direction above the treetops like always.

~A week later~

Nothing has happened and Botan hasn't mentioned anything of the demon, but everyone has still kept their guards up all the same.

Yusuke was on his bed reading some magazine on how to stop girls from hitting guys when the doorbell rang. He got up to see his mother already answering it.

"Hi there, chum! Didcha come for ther rumm? Hehehe…Hick…hehe."

"MOM! Don't answer the door when you're drunk!" He yelled and than pushed her in the direction of her room.

"Hey, sorry about that." Yusuke said looking back to the door.

Standing there was a girl of what looked to be fourteen or so with long, silver hair that went to her waist. Her eyes were of a glassed over, bluish-white. She was wearing an ice blue top that went to mid stomach with the sleeves as thick, looks straps that laid gently past her shoulder, showing the skin, a white skirt that went to her mid thigh, and then black, zip-up boots that went up to her knees.

She spoke in a soft voice like the breeze. "Are you Yusuke Urameshi?"

"Who wants to know?" Yusuke asked in his snobby attitude, returning her question with his own.

"I wish to speak with you." She beckoned for him to come, still speaking in her same, calm voice.

"Fine." And he shut the door behind him, following her as she went towards the stairs.

After the girl led Yusuke a ways from home she stopped in front of a large, crystal clear lake with large trees of a few different varieties surrounding them.

"Oh, wow, this is pretty cool. My friend, Kurama, would love this place. He's totally into the whole nature thing. " Yusuke said in an obviously awed tone of voice, looking around as he did.

"This is where I've been staying for the past week." She replied, watching his every movement from the corner of her eye, but facing the lake.

"Why? Got kicked out of your house or something?" He asked turning to face her now.

"No. I know who you are, Yusuke Urameshi. I know what you do." She said avoiding his questions and turning to face him. "I know you're a Spirit Detective for Lord Koenma and you're assistant is none other than the Grim Reaper, Botan."

"What!? How the hell do you know all that!? Who are you!?! TELL ME!!" Yusuke shouted, getting louder with every second.

"My name is Sazuka. I was named after the leader of the four Sacred Demons. I believe you have met him and defeated him as well, am I right?"

Yusuke nodded.

"I was named after him to avenge his death and to do that I must kill you."

Yusuke tensed up and was visibly pissed off as he got into a fighting stance. "So that's what this is! A FIGHT! Let's go then!" Yusuke announced with his cocky ass attitude.

"But," she continued as though he hadn't interrupted. "I refused to do it when I was told this a week ago after my whole life of training for it. That is why I fled to the Human World, to escape my people who wanted me to destroy you."

This unnerved Yusuke by this and he stood back up completely calm again at this was said.

"Also, I came to find you and apologize to you." She had been speaking in that same calm breeze voice, never once leaving its smooth flow.

"But why apologize if you haven't done anything wrong?"

"Maybe I just needed to tell you and show you how much I dislike what I was born and raised to do. Besides, why avenge someone's death if you don't even know if they deserved it?"

"Well, he did. So what kind of demon are you anyway? Koenma's equipment couldn't get anything on you for some reason."

"I'm an Ice Demon. I was brought up in secret so, naturally, there wasn't anything recorded about me."

"That explains a lot. Well, is there anything else you wanted to say or was that it?"

"Do you have any more questions?"

"Actually, there is one more thing I'd like to ask you."

Sazuka waited patiently for him to continue.

"How come it feels like your spirit energy is so low if you've been brought up through your entire life to kill me? Wouldn't it be stronger that what it feels like now?" Yusuke asked, confused.

"I guessed you'd probably ask that sooner or later. Since my people didn't want anyone to get records on me they taught me how to suppress it so it feels lower than it should. When I came to the human world I wanted to be alone for a while without having to be tracked so I suppressed it until I was ready to come for you."

"That's pretty cool. So could you stop so I can see how strong you really hard?" He asked with a bit of hope in his voice.

"No, I'm sorry, but I'm not quite ready to have your comrades or anyone for that matter sensing it since it's so strong and coming to find me thinking I'm going to hurt them."

"Oh, well, that's ok. I can take you to Koenma then."

Sazuka looked at him with careful eyes.

"I mean if your spirit energy is as high as it sounds like, we, my team, could sure use your help on our missions. Koenma would be happy to make you a Spirit Detective if you wanted."

"That sounds nice, but do you really trust me that much already?"

"Hey, you came to me and told me so much already stuff already. I mean if you were going to do something like slice my head or something like that than you would've done it by now."

"I suppose you're right."

"Of course I am." He said with too much confidence in his voice for his own good.

"Then, alright, I'll give it a try if that's what you're asking."

Yusuke nodded and started walking back, Sazuka following next to him; both in silence the whole while.

~At Koenma's~

"Yusuke? What brings you here?" The young prince asked confused, eyeing the girl next to him he asked, "Who's that?"

"Well, Koenma, you remember that demon that came in a week ago and you couldn't find anything on them. They came out to find me. It's a long story, but could they join the team? Their spirit energy is way higher than they're allowing to show right now and I'm sure they can be a lot of help."

"Sure. It's your team so as long as I know who's on it I could care less unless they're evil. But one question, could I get some information on them?"

Sazuka came out of the shadows and nodded slightly as she stepped up to Koenma.

It was about fifteen minutes later when Yusuke and Sazuka could leave.

"Why don't you go introduce her to the rest of the team, Yusuke. It'll be best if you do so they don't ask a lot of questions when she shows up at a mission."

"Yeah, yeah. Come on, let's go." And started walking away.

~Kuwabara's~

"I'll warn you now, Sazuka."

The Ice Demon looked at the boy with emotionless eyes. Her expression hasn't changed a bit since Yusuke first saw her. It was still serious and never even etching to smile. It reminded him a lot of Hiei and Kurama when he first met the fox.

"Kuwabara isn't the easiest person in the world to get along with and he's quiet of a baka. He is a good member of the team to have though since he can sense spirits and his Spirit Sword really comes in handy sometimes too. So, at least try and get along with him. We don't need him hating two members of the team."

He knocked on the door and his sister answered.

"Hey, is Kuwabara here?" Yusuke asked.

"Yeah. Hey, bro!" She yelled. Yusuke flinched and cursed slightly. Mumbling something along the lines of `couldn't she just walk instead of yell'.

"Hey, Urameshi! What's up?" The redhead smirked.

"Not much. Remember the demon that came in a week ago we've been on our guard for like Koenma asked."

A nod, with a bit of eyeing at the girl next to his friend and teammate.

"This is her. She's an Ice Demon and it's kind of a long story and we'd rather explain it to the others and you at once so there's not a lot of repeating, but her name's Sazuka."

Kuwabara went wide-eyed and looked at her suspiciously.

"She's not anything like the bastard we had to fight before to get that stupid flute before though so you don't have to worry about that. She's also the newest member on our team so that's why I'm here."

`As long as she's not like Hiei, I could care less.' "Nice to meet cha then. Name's Kuwabara and unmistakably the strongest person on the team. I know I'm hard to keep your hands off me, but…Ouch! Urameshi!"

"She's not stupid, Kazuma! Besides, we have to get going. I still need to tell Kurama and Hiei."

"Okay, okay. Sheesh. Well, it was nice meeting ya."

Sazuka nodded, not infected at all from the sudden scene that took place.

A couple minutes later they arrived at Kurama's.

*Ding-Dong*

"Hello, Yusuke. What brings you here today?"

"Afternoon, Ms. Minamino. This is Sazuka, a new friend of mine. I wanted too introduce her to Suichi. Is he home?"

"Yes, of course. He's up in his room. Go on ahead."

"Thanks."

Yusuke led Sazuka up the stairs and knocked on one of the doors a little down the hall way."

It wasn't long before Kurama answered. "Who is it?" Yusuke noticed a bit of a strain and guessed that Hiei was in there and the fox thinking it was his mom at his door.

"Yusuke."

"Oh, come on in." Kurama opened the door and gestured them in with a small smile.

"Hey, Kurama. Is Hiei around?"

"I'm right here." Came his voice from the window.

Yusuke supposed that Hiei was there in case he needed to make a quick jump out the window.

"Hey. I wanted you two to meet someone." He pointed to his companion. "This is Sazuka and before you ask, no, she's nothing like that other bastard. It's a long story and I just don't have to time. Anyway, Koenma's made her our newest member to the team."

"What's that supposed to mean? It that big oaf ningen finally realizing he's a baka weakling and is leaving?"

"Sorry, but nope. This is the demon that Botan told us about last week. It's, like I said, a long story and would rather tell it in a more private area and with Kuwabara here so there's not repeating anything."

"Whatever. Just make sure you stay out of my way." With that said, the fire demon jumped out the window and out of sight.

"Don't mind him. It's just because you're new and your spirit energy's a bit on the low side so he doesn't have much respect for you because of it. He'll get over it."

"Don't worry bout it, Kurama. It's just because of her background training. She can suppress it so no one can track her down."

"That'll come in handy." Kurama stated, obviously impressed.

Sazuka nodded and than turned to leave. "Excuse me, but I should be going."

The two nodded and watched her until she disappeared.

"So, what kind of demon was she again?"

"She's an Ice Demon."

Kurama nodded and sat back down on his bed.

Both fell into silence until Yusuke left a little while after saying goodbye.

~That night~

Sazuka was watching out into the lake when she heard a noise behind her and sensed the fox's ki. She turned around and saw him looking around in awe.

"Yusuke told me you'd like it." She said, still in the same nature she was in the whole while of the day.

"Yes, he told me where I could find you if I needed to speak with you." He replied now focusing on her.

"Did you need anything?" She asked, getting to the point quickly.

"Can't I just talk to you?" The fox asked a bit take aback by her action.

"I guess…" Sazuka looked back to the lack. "Can I show you something?"

"Sure. What is it?" Kurama asked walking over next to her as she moved to the shore of the lake.

She placed the palm of her right hand on the surface of the water. A few seconds later ice started creeping out from under he hand and continued to expand until the entire lake was covered in a layer of ice. She stood up and started to walk over the now frozen lake, turning around a few feet away and gesturing for Kurama to follow. He did but the ice cracked under his feet and he stopped afraid of falling through. She went back over and took his hand and led him out without another crack forming. They stopped in the middle and she let go of his hand. He turned in circles were he stood and looked around.

"That's amazing." He said staring out in front of him from the way they just came from.

The frost from the ice was coming up and was swirling around in the wind like glitter in a small, invisible twister. It was sparkling and glowing in the leftovers of the setting sun.

"I thought you might like it." She answered, trying hard not to smile at the fox's unexpected liking towards he action. Until she became serious again when she felt another presence coming at a fast speed.

"Kurama, what are you…"

SMACK!

"Hiei, are you alright?" Kurama asked, sliding next to the fallen form a few feet away.

"Fine, just back off." Hiei said in his usual tone, standing up after a few attempts of slipping and sliding.

"I guess Yusuke told everyone where you could fine me." Sazuka said acting like nothing interesting had just happened even though it was a quiet funny scene to watch.

"He did, actually, in case we had an emergency mission and needed to come get you in a hurry." Hiei acknowledged with a snort for no reason.

Sazuka nodded and headed back for shore with the other two slipping and sliding and a few falls behind her.

Once back on shore Sazuka swished her hand in front the lake and it disappeared into sparkling snowflakes and rose with the wind like the frost had done moments before.

"That was wonderful, thank you for showing us. It was really beautiful." Kurama smiled sweetly, speaking for both him and his friend.

Sazuka nodded. "Anytime. If you wish to come back."

"Actually, I came looking for you guys for a reason. Koenma says there's a demon causing trouble here so we need to stop him. It's a Snake Demon so it can shoot poison from just about anywhere so we can't touch him with any parts of our body. Yusuke already headed out and asked me to come get you."

The two nodded and headed out, following the Fire Demon from watching him jump from tree branch to branch.

V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^

Okay so there it is. Was it good or bad? Please review or just email me and tell me what you think. If I get enough reviews I'll post up the next chapter real fast. It will be very much appreciated if you do.