Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ A Beautiful Thing ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Anime Addicted1~ actually this'll be an OC/Yusuke pairing. ^_^ I thought that the two of them would go good together. I see so many pairings with Hiei or Kurama. You'd still like the story if it's with Yusuke, won't you? = (

Kikyo Killer~ yeah, Roxy's a real badass. She's my favorite character that I've ever made.

Moriko~ thank you so much! You're my very first reviewer! Thanks for supporting me, and I'm so glad you like the story. ^_^ I'm going to try to get a chapter out every week if I can.


A/N: I think it's official. I have used a dictionary more times than any other human on the planet.


Chapter 2


"Yusuke, huh?" Maya looked him in the eye and smiled. "What's your last name?"

Yusuke looked at her strangely, but replied, "Urameshi. Yusuke Urameshi." He crossed his arms and frowned. "What's it to you?"

My attention had been focused solely on the Kuwabara kid and glaring a hole right through his damn head. But at Urameshi's guarded reply, I froze and slid my gaze over to him. I felt numb, my mind still trying to process his response. My thoughts were racing a mile a minute inside of my head. 'Urameshi. Yusuke Urameshi.'

Suddenly my world went white - like I triggered something by thinking his name. Everything around me spun, my throat constricted, and I couldn't breathe. At my right hip, the tattoo burned - a blinding pain that almost brought me to my knees. I swayed unsteadily on my feet, and I would have fallen if Maya hadn't caught me. She was at my side in a flash, one of her arms already around my waist to support me.

I wanted her help, and she knew it. But my pride would allow no such thing - I moved out of her grasp before anyone could blink.

After a few seconds, the pain in my head had dulled somewhat, and the pain at my hip was reduced to an occasional throb. It was like a constant reminder of the fact that I am connected to this Urameshi punk.

The devil himself was staring at me with a hint of concern in his chocolate brown eyes. "Hey, are you all right?" Yusuke asked.

There was a sharp jolt on my hip - almost like I got pinched. That was the last straw. "I'm fine," I snapped.

Yusuke scowled. "That's what I get for trying to be polite?" He demanded.

"Yeah, that's what you get," I said rudely, stepping closer. "You got a problem with it?"


The two of us were practically nose to nose by now, and our gazes had locked in one hell of a staring contest.

Maya glanced worriedly between Yusuke and I, then grabbed my hand. "I have to talk to you," she said quietly. With a final pointed glare at Urameshi, I let Maya steer me toward her convertible. I could feel the heat of Urameshi's gaze on my retreating form.

Maya was walking awfully fast, and she was digging through her small, white leather purse for her car keys. I hopped into the car without even bothering to open the passenger's side door, and sunk down low in my seat.

A small blush worked itself onto my cheeks as I recalled the feeling of Urameshi's warm breath mixing with mine. He had smelled like mint, and for the life of me I just can't seem to get it out of my head. His brown orbs had been fixed on mine with more boldness than I've ever seen in anybody's eyes before. 'It could have just been stubbornness.' Yusuke's jet black hair was gelled back from his face, but a few unruly strands had fallen onto his forehead.

At first, it had taken all of my willpower to not reach up and brush them away from his eyes. Then, however, I remembered about his name tattooed to me and that there were more important things to worry about than falling for a guy I barely even know.

~

To say that the car ride to Maya's was tense would be an understatement. I had tried to turn on the radio to listen to some music, but she had punched the off button so hard she broke a nail. She wouldn't talk to me, she wouldn't look at me, and she made it pretty obvious that she didn't want to listen to Metallica.

She had one hand on the steering wheel, and her left elbow was propped up on the side of the car. Her left hand covered her forehead, and she stared hard out the windshield.

"My?" I finally asked. I got no reply, so I sighed heavily and stared longingly at the radio.

A couple of seconds later, I heard, "Don't touch it."

"Don't be a bitch, Maya," I said, without real heat. I leaned forward a couple of inches, and clicked the radio on.

Maya's eye twitched.

I turned the music up real loud, and sang along at the top of my lungs.

She twitched again.

"Dude, lighten up," I told her.

Her anger and annoyance toward me had darkened her usually clear emerald eyes. "Lighten up?" She ground out, incredulously. She turned, briefly, only to give me a dirty look. "Did you not realize what happened back there?"

I rolled my eyes. "Dude." That was all I had to say about it. The only thing I need to do is find out why the tattoo is on me in the first place. There's no reason to freak out anymore. I just have to steer clear of Urameshi. He makes a lousy first impression.

I noticed that Maya had stopped talking to me again. 'Damn it,' I thought nonchalantly.

With the music still at full blast, the two of us turned down a long, private road. Trees lined the path on either side, and there was an overall lonely feeling to it. After seven solid minutes of driving down this secluded driveway, My and I reached her house. Or condominium, more like it.
I've stayed at her place on several occasions. Mainly whenever my electricity gets shut off because I haven't paid the bills.

The woods surround her three-story condo on all sides except for one. Maya pulled her convertible up to the treeless side, and got out of the car without a word. Following silently, I decided that it wasn't the greatest time to tell her that she turned off the car without lowering the volume on her radio.

~

I sat alone on the giant, black leather couch in the T.V. room on the first floor of the condo. I'm watching South Park reruns on the big screen television, and munching on the big bowl of chips that My keeps on the coffee table.

I could hear pots and pans banging around in the kitchen. That's on the second floor. Maya's obviously peeved about something, but I just can't figure out what the hell it is. 'Did I do something to upset her?' I tried to think back.

My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of soft footsteps coming downstairs. I glanced over my shoulder and gave an almost imperceptible grunt. 'How ladylike,' I thought wryly.

Maya grunted back and collapsed into the large leather chair next to the couch. She had changed out of her tank top and skirt, into flannel pajama pants and an oversized T-shirt. Obscenely furry bunny slippers were found on her feet. I raised my eyebrow.

"We have to talk," she muttered as she pulled her blonde hair up into a messy ponytail.

"No kidding," I said, and burped loudly. "Wow, that was a good one," I said, smiling. Maya dead panned, and slowly inched the bowl of chips away from me.

She sipped on the cup of tea that I'm assuming she had been making upstairs, glancing anywhere but in my eyes. "It seems as if we have a problem," she began.

I was focused on South Park. Until I got a pillow thrown at me. "Oh, what?" I asked.

"Rox...earlier today, when you almost fell?" I scowled. "The energy schematic in that tattoo changed. I can sense it quite clearly now," she said.

"So what?"

"It's not just a tattoo, as I'd hoped." She hesitated. "It's...well, it's not a curse. It's more along the lines of a...a bond. A connection."

I stopped watching South Park long enough to look at her and cock my head to the side. "And?"

Maya's expression was full of carefully placed emotion. "Roxy..." she said softly. "You're bonded to Yusuke Urameshi."



A/N: I have no idea how to pronounce the word "incredulously".

Hey, review if you want to see another chapter. It'll be out by Wednesday at the latest if I get any reviews. I'm going on vacation Thursday and I'll have another chapter out a week after that. Hope you guys like it so far!

-babi blu