Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ A Grim's Promise ❯ Chapter Ten ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the Harry Potter books or Yu Yu Hakusho

 

Summary: Two years before his death a powerful psychic made Sirius a promise. Now Genkai and Yusuke travel to London to keep it and throw the British magical community for a loop.

 

Warnings: Swearing

 

A Grim's Promise

 

Chapter Ten

 

July 6th

 

 

Harry absently batted at something tickling his nose before he rolled over to get away from it. He pulled the covers up around his head and tried to go back to sleep. He scowled sleepily when it happened again. Yawning, he opened his eyes to find Hana starring at him. She mewed pitifully at him and batted his nose lightly with her paw before jumping off his pillow. He tossed his covers to the side sat up grumbling softly about stupid people and their stupid cats. As he swung his feet off the bed he touched something that felt like an arm.

 

While he was normally very alert in the mornings, if you counted his vision Harry had only gotten three hours of sleep the day before and going by the clock only five last night. His sleep deprived mind couldn't figure out why there would be an arm by his bed. Unless Yusuke had taken their little war to the morbid stage there wasn't any reason for an arm to be beside his bed. Going by the prank wars the twins had caused in the tower over the years it was a little early for the morbid jokes. Harry poked the arm again with his foot, this time hitting a hand. He blinked a few times before looking over the edge of the bed. He raised an eyebrow in surprise. There was Yusuke sound asleep on the floor next to his bed. What the…

 

Harry scowled at him. The entire time they were in London he had been woken up every morning by Yusuke's snoring and now he stops? Harry was seriously considering kicking him. The more he thought about it, the better that idea sounded. After all it had been Yusuke's cat that had woken him up. His foot stopped in mid swing when a thought occurred. What was Yusuke doing in his room?

 

All thoughts of revenge flew from Harry's mind when Hana started scratching at the door and meowing desperately. "Oh, Hell no! You do not go bathroom in my room." He quickly jumped over Yusuke and let the cat out. He almost closed the door when Hana started meowing again.

 

"Damn it, this isn't my job." Harry muttered as he walked down the hall to open the door to Yusuke's room so Hana could get to her litter box. Back in the bedroom Yusuke buried his head in his pillow, trying to muffle his snickers. He loved that cat. Now if he could only find a way to trick Harry into cleaning out her litter box.

 

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

 

Genkai walked into the training room the next morning to find Yusuke and Harry talking quietly while leaning over a small, leather bound book and a small spiral notebook. By the looks of things a temporary truce had been called. Considering the screaming she had heard last night and the pictures sitting on the kitchen table she hadn't expected that to happen. As she walked over she looked at the notebook Yusuke was writing in, raising an eyebrow at the five page supply list. Good thing Harry and Kurama knew some magic; they would definitely need a couple of shrinking spells and maybe a duffle bag. She raised the other eyebrow when Yusuke flipped to a new page. Make that two duffle bags.

 

Genkai clapped her hands to get their attention. "Put the books away boys. You can plan the torture later." She smirked when they closed the books and pushed them to the side, trying their best to look innocent. "Don't even try it with me. I don't care what you do as long as you stick to the rules I gave you in London. No property damage and if you prank me, you will regret it for the rest of your lives."

 

"Yeah, yeah. We know Grandma." Yusuke said, rolling his eyes. "You promised us a fate so horrible that we'd wish for death if we went after you. But we can count on your help when we go after the guys, right?"

 

Genkai sighed when they both gave her the puppy dog eyes. "Yes Dimwit, you can." She said as she sat down on the mat in front of them. "Now, down to business." She looked at Harry. "Did you read any of that book last night?"

 

Harry nodded. "Yes, I got all the way through the section on meditation techniques. The only one I didn't have a problem understanding was the color based one." He poked Yusuke in the side when he whispered suck up softly. He had to bite his lip not to laugh when Yusuke poked him back. He quickly retaliated causing the other teen to snort.

 

"Not my favorite technique but it's perfectly adequate for what you need to do." Genkai said, before reaching out and smacking their hands. "Enough with the poking, this is serious. You both need to learn how to shield your minds so quit fooling around. By the end of the summer I expect both of you to be able to withstand a Legilimency attack of thirty seconds. That means I want you to feel and repel the attack. And not the blatant attacks, where anyone can feel them. But the more controlled attacks, like the one Dumbledore used at the hotel."

 

She looked over the two teens in front of her critically before her eyes settled on Yusuke. "You already have a head start Yusuke since you at least felt Dumbledore." She turned to look at Harry and mentally smirked when he squirmed slightly. Nice to know her glares were still effective on someone. "But you need to seriously work on this. You will practice this every morning with me and the Dimwit and every night before you go to sleep, no matter how tired you are."

 

"Yes Genkai." Harry said softly. "Um, last time I tried to learn Occlumency Snape would test me every couple of days. Are you going to…?" Genkai cut him off with a wave of her hand.

 

"No, I will not start testing your shields for at least two weeks. It would be pointless for me to knock them down right after you started building them." Genkai debated with her self for a minute before continuing. She needed him to trust her, but she didn't want it at the cost of his trust in others. "The technique your teacher used works for people who naturally have strong mental shields by helping them find and fill in what ever holes they might have. This way is the more common one. It not only helps you shield your mind but will help you with your studies later." She turned to Yusuke with a rueful smile. "I probably should have taught you this before. You might have actually learned something in school besides the best places to hide from Keiko when you wanted to skip class."

 

"But that was the most important thing I ever learned." Yusuke said with a small shudder. "She's scary when she wants to be." Harry snorted softly. Yusuke didn't know what a scary girl was. No one could be scarier than Hermione in research mode.

 

"And that would be why you dated her." Genkai said sarcastically. "Now back to the matter at hand. Once you've reached the midpoint of your meditation, the spot where you'd normally clear out your mind and drift," she focused on Yusuke briefly, "or in your case, focus on controlling your energy, I need you two to picture something. It can be a library, an arcade, a shelf of stuffed animals, it doesn't matter. As long as it's something that represents your memories. Don't be surprised if what you end up with isn't what you originally intended. The mind works that way. Do not change it. If you do, it will no longer represent you or your life."

 

"Tomorrow we will begin to organize, but for today you will only need to figure out what is where. Do not be surprised if you find one of your worst memories sitting right next to one of your best. The mind is not organized the way you might think it should be. The subconscious makes connections that you might never make on your own." She sighed as she shifted into a more comfortable position. "Now get comfortable boys, you're going to be here at least two hours. I'll tap you on your knee to let you know when it's time to come out of it." Pulling a small book on blood wards out of her pocket Genkai began reading. She ignored Yusuke's not so quiet grumbling as the two boys shifted positions and began to meditate.

 

A few minutes later Genkai put her book down and smiled at Yusuke fondly. He had truly come a long way from the street punk she had met three years earlier. She might never tell him, but she was damn proud of her student. She snorted softly as she picked her book back up. He was still a Dimwit though.

 

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

 

Harry slapped a hand over his eyes when he reached what the book had called his soul room. He peeked through his fingers and winced at the mismatched disaster of a room. He knew it was going to be strange but this was just...ick. He lowered his hand with a resigned sigh and looked around the odd library-like room.

 

If you didn't count the paintings of a lion with a snake coiled around its right paw, the neutral beige color of the walls was a wonderful change from the rest of the room. The carpets thrown across the dark red-brown hardwood floor were red and green plaid with small gold stars with silver shadows scattered across them. The couches were large and plushy like the ones in the Gryffindor common room but the colors were wrong. Instead of a worn red and gold, they were a dark green with large, bold red stripes and there were a few gold and silver accent pillows. When he looked at the stripes Harry saw thin braided ropes of silver, gold, bronze and black separating the stripes. The bookcases and shelves scattered around the room were painted a dark red. Sitting on top the bookcases were potted roses vines that Harry was sure had never existed in the real world. Something about the way they curled downward around the bookshelves and seemed to wrap around the books and picture frames just screamed unnatural. He snorted softly when he saw the small gold and silver roses mixed in with the large white roses growing on the vines. Why not? Everything else in this room was a strange mix of Slytherin and Gryffindor colors.

 

Maybe it wasn't mismatched, Harry thought as he began exploring the shelves. He knew the hat had originally wanted him in Slytherin and he definitely had some Slytherin qualities. He could be sneaky when it was called for, he could scheme with the best of them, and he almost never got caught, at least not at school. And when he did get caught he got rewarded for it Harry realized, thinking of his first year's end of term feast. Yeah, he definitely had some Slytherin in him. But it was balanced by his Gryffindor nature. He still acted with out thinking, was outspoken about what he believed in, and he was way too brave for his own good or as Hermione put it he had a `saving people thing' that could rival Godric Gryffindor's.

 

Harry was amazed as he explored the room. So far he had found a very odd assortment of both muggle and wizarding things. Knowledge orbs were sitting right next to clocks, games and books. On the few tables in the room potted rose bushes were surrounded by books on charms and hexes and the occasional sci-fi or fantasy novel. When he looked up he realized there were even more of the vines on the ceiling, but instead of roses they had small light orbs. After wandering around for a few minutes he came across a small bookcase filled with books, photo albums and odd trinkets. As he scanned the shelves he finally spotted two large photo albums sitting next to each other. One was a solid dark, almost black, red with dull gold lettering and the other was a large red and gold photo album with blue and bronze lettering, Gryffindor and Ravenclaw colors. That one had to be his memories of Hermione. He pulled the heavy book off the shelves and went to go sit on a couch. Harry smiled as he began looking at the pictures and captions in it. He could finish exploring in a minute.

 

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

 

Yusuke snorted derisively as he looked around his soul room. He could understand if this was Kurama's or maybe even Keiko's soul room, but him, Nah. Raizen's personal library just didn't seem to fit. It still had the same gray stone walls and floor with tons of dark hardwood shelves filled with books but there were some differences. Instead of a desk the center of the room there was a large living room type area. Sitting around a warm forest green carpet were three large black leather sofas arranged around a big screen television. Yusuke walked over and saw the game systems, DVD players, and VCR sitting on the floor around it. Maybe this was his room after all.

 

Giving the Playstation one last longing look, Yusuke walked away from the sitting area and began exploring the shelves. Unlike Raizen's library, there were more than just books and scrolls. Stuffed in between the books there were DVDs, CDs, and the occasional video game. Lots and lots of video games. Underneath some of the scrolls were photo albums, loose pictures, and in one spot he found Keiko's old school uniform. He began rubbing his cheek when he saw it. Just looking at it made him think of how hard she could hit. He picked up the bright yellow scarf with a sad smile. He could almost smell the apple blossom perfume she used to wear coming from it.

 

Yusuke forced himself to put the scarf down and continue looking around the room. No matter how much he wished he could go back and change things, Keiko wasn't his girl now. He smirked as he walked farther away. God help anyone who hurt her though. He'd kick their ass to hell and back.

 

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

 

Harry wiped his face after he put the red and black photo album back on the shelf. When that book had said all of his memories would be in the room he hadn't thought about memories of his parents. The images in the photos had been blurry and indistinct but just like Hermione's album, they had moved and there had been voices and small notes to go with them. He wanted to keep looking through it but he needed to move on. He had promised his mother he wouldn't waste her gift, which meant he needed to learn Occlumency to defend himself against Voldemort. He didn't want to give the man the chance to hurt him again.

 

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

 

Yusuke muttered a few curse words as he rapidly pushed the buttons on the game controller. He had explored the room quite a bit before finding an old copy of one of his favorite video games. Sure he had played it hundreds of times, but damn it, he loved this game. He started cussing when a loud knocking sound caused him to drop the controller. He looked towards the door all set to tell someone off when he remembered where he was. The knocking sound must be Genkai trying to get his attention some how.

 

Scowling, he turned the system off and put the game back in its case. After he put the game back on it's shelf he left the room through the large blue, green and gold door. As he closed the door behind him, he wondered where it had come from. It hadn't been there before.

 

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

 

"Ow!" Yusuke glared at Genkai as he rubbed the back of his head. "What the hell was that for Grandma?"

 

"I've been trying to get your attention for the past fifteen minutes." Genkai snapped as she stood up from the mat. "Kurama and Keiko will be back in twenty minutes so get up and go change." She tossed him a small package. "Botan dropped this off for you. She also has a message from Koenma for you."

 

Yusuke blinked a few times before Genkai's words sunk in. "Wait! She has a message? Where is she?"

 

Genkai smirked as she opened the door to the training room. "I believe she, Yukina and Harry are having breakfast."

 

"Oh hell," Yusuke groaned as he stood up. "The kid's going to be traumatized for life. Death saying bingo is so not normal."

 

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

 

Kurama opened the door to the temple's living area. From the smells coming from the hallway Keiko had already beaten him here. He smelled the hallway a few more times. Breakfast or go meet Keiko and Yusuke first? While their fights were amusing he was hungry and it smelled like Yukina had just got done cooking. Instead of eating breakfast at his house he had spent the past two hours trying to convince his mother to loan him her van. It had taken him a lot longer than he had thought it would. It had taken him an hour just to convince her he had a good reason for needing it. Then she had made him promise to bring his new friend to dinner sometime soon before she handed him the keys.

 

Kurama snorted softly as he walked off towards the kitchen. New friend, right. Only his mother would expect him to make friends that fast. He smiled as he got closer to the kitchen. Botan was here, only she smelled liked a mix of peonies and death. Now if only he was wrong about the food he smelled. He pushed open the door to the kitchen and head straight to the counter for a plate. Food and coffee first, then he could worry about everything else.

 

Kurama smiled at the two girls and the young wizard as he sat down at the table. He scowled slightly at the large, sticky cinnamon rolls sitting in the center of the table. They were surrounded by pancakes, sausages, eggs and a fruit salad. From the looks of things Yukina was sticking to non traditional foods in an attempt to make their guest more comfortable. One of the reasons he loved eating at the temple was because of Yukina's traditional Japanese meals. Not even his mother stuck to those much anymore. He did a mental shrug and started loading his plate. As he ate he listened to the conversation the three were having.

 

"Now what was it you wanted to ask me?" Botan asked Harry as she picked off a piece of her cinnamon roll.

 

"Well…" Harry looked from Botan to Kurama. "I…um…"

 

Botan and Yukina giggled. "Oh don't worry. Kurama here knows I'm the grim reaper. You can ask." Botan looked worried when Kurama almost choked on his coffee. "Are you alright?" she asked. Yukina and Harry were also starring at him concerned.

 

"I'm fine." Kurama said, waving his hand dismissively. "Go on with your conversation." He began poking his fork at the cinnamon roll, pretending that he wasn't listening.

 

"Oookay," Harry said before looking back at Botan. "I was wondering about Siri. He said something about ditching you so he could talk to me and Remus. Is he in trouble?"

 

Botan shook her head, smiling slightly. "He's not in too much trouble. Just a little community service and he'll be fine." Kurama resisted the urge to snort. If this Siri was the same human spirit that was helping out George for the next month his punishment was far from community service. More like legal torture. No one should have to deal with that much paperwork with out getting paid for it.

 

Harry tilted his head to the side, confused. "Community service? What can he do? He's dead."

 

Botan and Yukina traded glances. Being dead hadn't stopped Yusuke from helping Kuwabara, but he didn't know that did he?

 

"Paperwork," Kurama said, taking a sip of his coffee. "If who I saw the other day in Koenma's office is your godfather, then he's stuck doing paperwork." He blinked at the hostile looks the girls sent him. What did he do? If the boy knew Botan was the grim reaper, surely he had an idea of what he and the others did and who their boss was. He paled when the glares kept coming. Oh shit, this apparently was another thing Yusuke hadn't told him.

 

"Koenma?" Harry asked, looking at the three of them confused. "Who's that?" He became even more confused as the silence stretched on and the others refused to answer him. "Um, guys? Shuichi? Yukina? Botan? Are you ever going to tell me? Who's Koenma?"

 

"Koenma is my pain in the ass of a boss I told you about," Yusuke said as he pushed open the door to the kitchen. He walked over to the counter and poured himself a large cup of coffee. "I died and he stuck me with hunting down all the bad guys. And does he pay me? Hell no! Little pacifier sucking bastard says it's my fucking duty. And now I can't even go on a damn date with out him ruining it somehow." He smirked as he leaned against the counter and sipped at his mug. Their faces were priceless. What he wouldn't give for a camera right now. "What? Harry knows I died. We had a nice long talk about it."

 

Botan snapped out of her shock and whipped out her oar. "Don't say things like that about Koenma," she snapped. She swung the oar, missing Yusuke's head by inches as he dodged. "He's done a lot for you over the years. He deserves more respect than that. Doesn't he Kurama?" Botan asked, turning to the kitsune.

 

Kurama looked at her then at the oar she was still holding. He put his fork down and wiped his hands. "I'm sorry Botan but I'm siding with Yusuke on this one." He stood up from the table and began moving for the door. "Koenma's a pain. If anyone needs me I'll be waiting in the van with Keiko. Excuse me." He practically ran out of the kitchen when the blue haired girl raised the oar in a threatening manner.

 

Yusuke snickered as he sat down in the chair the kitsune had just abandoned. "Don't bother Botan. He has his reasons for not liking Koenma. And you know they're valid ones."

 

Botan scowled as she put her oar away. "I know that but still… Koenma is a wonderful man. I wish you guys would acknowledge that," Botan said with a small pout.

 

Yukina patted her hand. "They know Botan."

 

Yusuke snorted into is coffee cup. Yeah, a wonderful two foot tall man who still sucked on a pacifier. He put his coffee down and grabbed a roll from the table. He might as well make an attempt to pacify Botan. "We know he's a good guy. We just like to pick on him. Besides," Yusuke said as he ripped a piece of his roll and stuffed it in his mouth. "How many guys his age do you know that still suck on a pacifier?"

 

He turned to look at Harry who was picking up his plate and taking it to the sink. "You ready? `Cause it's already nine and we've got to be at that bank by ten."

 

Harry turned to look at him after setting his plate down. "That's today?"

 

Yusuke nodded. "Yep. They said either today or the tenth. Since Kurama knows the way we might as well go take care of it. Go ahead and get your stuff. Genkai said that she wants you to handle this on your own." He took a big bite of his cinnamon roll.

 

Harry blinked. "Is she serious? Does she have any idea how much crap Sirius left me here?" he asked, shocked.

 

Yusuke snickered. "Oh yeah, she knows. But Grandma's always been the sink or swim type." He rolled his eyes at the other boys pale face. "Don't worry, Kurama and I'll go in with you and help you figure it out. Now go on, get your stuff. I need to talk to the girls for a minute in private."

 

"Fine," Harry said with a small sigh. He turned to Yukina. "Thank you for breakfast."

 

"You're welcome Harry. Have fun shopping today," Yukina said, smiling as the young wizard walked out of the kitchen. She looked at Yusuke and frowned. "Are you and Genkai sure this is a good idea? Not telling him?"

 

"I'm going to tell him Yukina, I just don't know when." Yusuke finished off the last of his roll and sighed. "He already knows that I'm working for Koenma and that Botan here is the grim reaper and he handled that fairly well. Hell, he even took it well when I told him I died twice." Yusuke smiled slightly, thinking of the younger teen's reaction to that piece of news. "He thought it was funny that he was famous for surviving the killing curse but I had died twice and no one knew who I was. I'm just not sure how he would take knowing what we are."

 

Botan smiled and reached over to pat his hand. "I'm sure he'll take it well. Considering his past I'm sure he'll be able to look past it. Now I hate to do this but…"

 

Yusuke glared at her. "If it's a job then the answer is hell no. Unless the world is going to end I'm on vacation."

 

Botan rolled her eyes. "It's not a job. Koenma has the other guys covering your cases." She ignored Yusuke's snort and continued. "Koenma would like to speak to you sometime next week though."

 

"That's it?" Yusuke asked raising an eyebrow. "The toddler doesn't want anything else?" His eyes narrowed when Botan looked away and started fidgeting. "What does he want Botan?"

 

Botan glanced at him through her bangs. "I really don't know. All he said was it had something to do with Harry. He wouldn't tell me much else."

 

"Since when does Koenma care what a human does?"

 

Botan sighed. "I'm guessing it's because Harry is prophesied to save the wizarding world. A lot of lives are riding on that boy. He also has the potential to be very powerful Yusuke."

 

Yusuke snorted as he took a sip of his coffee. "So what? It's not like he's going to turn into another Sensui." He put his cup down and glared at Botan when she looked down and blushed. "You've got to be fucking kidding me! Koenma thinks he's capable of that?" He shook his head. "He's not capable of that Botan. Any idiot can look at his aura and tell that. It's not in his nature." He turned to Yukina. "Please don't tell me you're backing her on this?"

 

Yukina shook her head. "No I'm not. Right now he's not capable of that. But all beings have the capacity for evil Yusuke. Koenma is just worried."

 

Botan looked at him and sighed. "You heard his dream the other day. You know what he sees when he has a vision. Things like that that were kept on the black chapters tape. You know how they affected Sensui's followers." She looked down at her hands. "Koenma wants to make sure he doesn't have to ever send you out against him."

 

Yusuke growled softly as he grabbed his coffee cup and stood up. He walked over to the sink and poured the rest out before washing his hands. "Fine, tell him I'll be by sometime on Monday." He was almost to the door before he turned back to look at Botan. "I thought I heard Kurama say Black is working off a debt in Koenma's office. Is that true?"

 

Botan nodded. "Yes, he is. He has another month to go."

 

Yusuke sighed as he pulled the door open. "You better make sure he's not in the office when Koenma and I have this little talk. I don't think he would appreciate what Koenma thinks of his godson." He walked out, shutting the door behind him.

 

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

 

Keiko looked around the street in a mix of shock, and amazement. All around her people were dressed in the oddest clothing. Their clothing was similar to the clothes Harry had been wearing in the photo he had shown her the robes these people wore were very elaborate. Keiko starred at a handsome white haired man wearing dark purple robes with silver trimming and what looked like a feathery white cape. As they got closer she saw that the cape was actually a pair of large white wings. She stopped in the middle of the street and just starred. She wasn't seeing this. When the man saw she was starring he snarled at her, revealing two sharp fangs, before he walked off in a huff. Keiko was pulled out of her thoughts when Harry grabbed her arm and began pulling her towards a white building.

 

"A bit of advice, never stare at a half Veela when they have their wings out. It means they're in a really bad mood," Harry whispered softly to Keiko. He locked arms with her and guided her towards the building that Kurama and Yusuke were walking to.

 

Keiko looked at the teen next to her. "Veela?" she asked confused.

 

Harry sighed. "Veelas are a magical race. They're very similar to humans except for two things. They're always extremely attractive and when they get angry they…" he shrugged and sighed again. "I'm not really sure how to explain it. They get bird-like I guess is the best way to put it. Half Veelas, like that man back there, only show some of their Veela traits." He looked back at the man. "Usually only when they're angry." He let go of her arm when they caught up with the other two boys.

 

Keiko blinked, trying to process what he had just said. She looked at Kurama and Yusuke, her glare at half power. "Is there anything else I should know before we go into the bank? I don't want to make a complete fool of myself while we're here." She crossed her arms and tapped her foot, starring down the two teens. "Aren't you two going to say anything or is he going to be the only helpful one here?" she asked, pointing at Harry.

 

Harry blushed when Keiko singled him out. He hated it when people did that. He stepped back when Kurama and Yusuke looked at him amused. "What?"

 

Yusuke tilted his head to the side studying Harry before turning to Kurama. "He looks cute when he does that, doesn't he? He doesn't turn bright red like most people, just pink. I kinda wish I had made him the kitten instead of Kuwabara, it would have fit better." Kurama snickered softly when the wizard's blush got worse.

 

Keiko rolled her eyes. "Stop picking on him and answer my question. Is there anything else I should know?" She waited a few seconds before throwing up her hands in exasperation and turning to Harry. "Since those two seem to find this too amusing to be of any help, can you tell me anything?"

 

"Um, the goblins might freak you out. But as long as you don't try to steal anything you're fine." He looked at the other two boys strangely when Yusuke started laughing and pointing at Kurama.

 

"Somebody better be a good boy then," Yusuke said, trying to catch his breath.

 

"Somebody better shut up before pictures of him drunk and in women's clothing get posted around town," Kurama replied, looking smug.

 

"Oi! I've never done that," Yusuke yelled. "Drunk, yeah. The other thing, hell no!"

 

Kurama shot him a superior look. "Shuichi has a computer and I'm not afraid to use it."

 

Keiko sighed and turned back to Harry, ignoring the verbal battle. "Is there anything else I should know?"

 

"The ride down to the vaults might be a problem if you don't like roller coasters."

 

Keiko snorted softly. "I dated him," she said, gesturing at Yusuke. "After that I don't think a little roller coaster ride is going to be a problem." She noticed the way Harry was worrying his bottom lip. "Is there something else?"

 

"Yes there is." Harry looked at the two other teens before looking back at Keiko. "I don't know if Shuichi told you or not but you might want to stay with one of us at all times," he said softly, looking at the wizards around them, trying not to flinch at the hostile looks they were receiving. "I don't know how bad it is here but in Britain there are some people who believe people who don't have magic are inferior. They're usually just rude but some can be down right nasty."

 

"Harry's right," Kurama said, ending his argument with Yusuke. "It would be best if you stayed with one of us." He looked at Harry. "And it is quite bad here. Magical creatures and beings are treated fairly for the most part, but those with out access to their spiritual energy or muggle borns are treated like dirt by the older pureblood families."

 

"What are you talking about?" Yusuke asked quietly. "Why is Keiko in danger?"

 

Harry sighed. "Remember the way the witch in the bookstore looked at you?"

 

Yusuke snorted. "Yeah, so what?"

 

"She looked at you that way because of your clothes. They weren't robes or wizarding clothes. She was a…" Harry looked at Kurama for help.

 

"We'll be right back, stay right here." Kurama said with a sigh, pulling Yusuke away from the others for a minute. He really didn't want Keiko to hear this.

 

"Okay man, what's going on?" Yusuke asked when they were at about ten feet away. He could still see the other two but he couldn't hear them unless he decided to take the blocks off his hearing.

 

Kurama sighed. "People like that witch Harry was talking about believe that people with out spiritual energy are inferior. At their worst, some believe people like Keiko are nothing more than animals. While many witches and wizards don't believe that, there are enough that we need to keep a close eye on Keiko at all times in the wizarding world, especially here. This part of Fireball Alley is mostly used by purebloods and they're the ones that we need to be wary of."

 

"Fuck." Yusuke sighed, looking back at Keiko and Harry. They were sitting on the steps to the bank and talking. He looked past the two teens and saw the way a couple was starring at them, at their clothes. His eyes narrowed as he looked around the Alley. Almost everyone there was giving the four of them hostile and hateful looks. Only a few ignored them or were looking at them curiously. He turned back to Harry and Keiko. These were the kind of people Harry was supposed to save? "I really hate shit like this."

 

"You're not the only one, but that's the downside of being a Spirit Detective Yusuke. We get the good with the bad." Kurama said sadly, looking around the Alley. "We need to get back. As strong as he is, I don't think Harry can protect himself and Keiko yet." He sighed as he watched Yusuke walk back to the others, starring down anyone who got in his way. He looked around the Alley one last time before following. It was things like this that reminded him that there wasn't much of a difference between demons and humans. Both species valued power far too much and would do anything to keep it.

 

tbc

 

Author's Notes and Review Responses:

 

1) Harry's room is dominated by the colors of the Hogwarts houses because at this point in his life the fact that he is a wizard and his acceptance into Hogwarts is what he uses to define himself and most of his friends. If you're curious Gryffindor colors are red and gold, Hufflepuff colors are yellow and black, Ravenclaw colors are blue and bronze, and Slytherin colors are green and silver.

 

2) While white roses typically stand for purity or innocence here they're used to represent humility and secrecy.

 

Review Responses:

Cattibrie393: The last chapter should have answered your question, but if it didn't Hiei just thinks Kurama will enjoy having him around.

 

Aura Black Chan: I kind of felt bad for Kuwabara too but the gang doesn't really know about wizards yet. I'm glad you liked Yusuke's prank. It's not just Kurama who's going to get in on the prank war; Kuwabara does have to get Yusuke back for the kitten episode. Oh, and the snake's coming. Really soon actually, but Kuwabara doesn't get to meet him for a little while longer.

 

kit-kat: Thanks. Actually only Keiko fell asleep. Hiei sort of ended Kurama's nap before it began.

 

Eternal Light/Fire Dragon: The prank's coming. Either at the end of the next chapter or in the one after that.

 

Poltergeist report 101: Nah, it's not going to be polyjuice potion. That takes a little too long to make. Good guess though. By the way Mr. Pierson was the Hotel manager.

 

Donamarine: Feel very sorry for Yusuke, Kurama's helping Harry set it up.

 

Bronze Dagger: Thank you! As you see in this chapter Sirius isn't completely gone yet, he's just not coming back to life.

 

Arano Honou: I know. I tend to skip Author's notes sometimes too. Then I get confused and have to go back and read them. So I really sympathize with people who miss them. That one is there to explain a few things in the coming chapters. It's also the condensed version a scene at the hotel that got cut. I was going to put somewhere else but it just didn't seem to fit which is why it got stuck at the end of the last chapter.

 

trunksgirl85: Thank you! I totally understand the getting absorbed in your own fic thing. I need to go read the last few chapters of Faith that I missed. I need to review it too.

 

Silver Warrior: Thanks.

 

Okaasan-7: Your right, the YYH ages are a little off from canon. I played with them a bit because it makes it easier for me to see Harry and Yusuke developing a brother like friendship if they're closer in age. My three sisters are older than me, the youngest by three years, and we have never really been that close because of the age barrier and I can see that being a problem if Yusuke were too much older than Harry.

 

AMK: You're welcome for the mental image.

 

foxylilraven: Yusuke is going to tell Harry eventually. I actually already have a couple of ideas and rough scenes written out for that. I just need to decide which one to use.

 

RabidFangirl101: Thank you!

 

Thank you to everyone who review and if I missed your question above, sorry. I'm writing the review responses at one in the morning so I think some of them might be a little wacky. Good night everyone, I'm going to bed now.

 

Kel