Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ A Grim's Promise ❯ Chapter Thirteen ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the Harry Potter books or Yu Yu Hakusho
 
Summary: Two years before his death a powerful psychic made Sirius a promise. Now Genkai and Yusuke travel to London to keep it and throw the British magical community for a loop.
 
Warnings: Swearing
 
 
A Grim's Promise
 
Chapter Thirteen
 
July 8th
 
 
Harry looked around the training room warily as he walked over to the mats. Even though the mess had been cleaned up from the day before the room still smelled like fruit and rotten eggs. He blanched slightly as he sat down next to Yusuke and saw the fresh dents in the wall. What if Genkai wanted Yusuke to practice on him instead of fruit?
 
“Genkai why am I here?” Harry asked softly. His eyes were wide as he stared at the old psychic.
 
“Yeah, why is he here? He already knows this crap,” Yusuke said grumpily. He was not happy about having his embarrassment witnessed by anyone.
 
Genkai looked down at Harry. “You're here because you already know magic. Yusuke,” she pointed at the scowling teen, “needs motivation. You're going to provide that.” She smirked at Yusuke. “He performs better in two situations, when someone he cares about is in danger and possibly hurt, or when he has a challenge. I don't care to get my ass kicked for threatening Keiko so I'm giving the two of you a challenge.”
 
Yusuke raised an eyebrow at the woman. “A challenge?” He scoffed, glancing at the wizard next to him. “No offense Harry but there's no way you can offer me a decent fight, let alone a challenging one.”
 
Harry rolled his eyes at him. “I know I suck at fighting without my wand but I don't think that's what she meant.”
 
“You're right Yusuke,” Genkai said as she began pacing in front of them. “Harry couldn't give you a decent fight, but you couldn't give him a decent duel. No, you wouldn't win by blasting him with raw energy from your wand.” She smirked briefly when Yusuke scowled at her. “I was hoping the little prank war you two are having would give you some incentive to actually master using a wand without my interference.” She stopped to scowl at the two teens. “Unfortunately that wasn't the case. Now we're going to have a little competition.”
 
Yusuke and Harry glanced at each other. “What kind of competition?” Yusuke asked suspiciously. He wasn't sure if he liked where this was going.
 
Genkai smiled in a way that made the two teens in front of her tense. “You, Dimwit, will learn how to better control your power and thus magic while you, Harry,” she turned to look at the wizard. “You will learn to control your energy in its raw form. We're going to see who can master what first.”
 
“Problem Grandma. If you're training me then who's training Harry?” Yusuke asked, pointing at the quiet boy next to him.
 
“Well that depends on what form his energy takes. It could be you, Kuwabara, Kurama, Yukina, or God help us, Hiei. The point is that Harry here needs to develop his powers without a wand and you need to develop your powers using a wand. Now scram Yusuke. I need to test him before we can start.” Genkai smirked at the quiet British teen.
 
“Fine by me,” Yusuke said with a shrug as he stood up. “I'll go see Koenma now instead of later. Have fun with the old hag Harry.” He took off out the door before anyone could say good-bye; way to happy with being let out to notice the other teen's shocked state.
 
Raw energy?” Harry asked pulling his braid over his shoulder to play with the end.
 
“Your magic in its purest form,” Genkai said as she sat down in front of the boy. She pulled his braid out of his hand and tossed it back over his shoulder, making a mental note to try to convince him to cut it before he went back to school. He had enough trouble masking emotions; he didn't need to have any nervous habits.
 
“Why do I need to learn this?”
 
Genkai raised an eyebrow at the question. “I would think the answer would be obvious. You're expected to fight Voldemort. This will help you gain control of your energy, help your energy levels to increase faster, and depending on what form your energy takes, you can either use it as a weapon or use it to heal.”
 
“Oh,” Harry said quietly, blushing. “Stupid question, huh?”
 
“A very stupid question.”
 
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
 
Koenma was muttering to himself as he searched his office for the remote for his view screen. Having Black work in his office to work off the debt he had earned was either the biggest mistake of his life or one of his better decisions. On the good side, the ogres were processing paperwork and souls faster due to the new system Black had come up with and office morale was up by twenty percent. On the bad side, he could never find his remote because Black kept using it to check on his godson and friends and office moral was up because the black haired menace kept making him the brunt of his pranks. Koenma had considered lengthening his punishment by a month because of the pranks but the wizard's latest one made him want the animagus out of his office as fast as possible. Being stuck in his teenage form wasn't bad but the rest of today's prank was horrible. As he tossed sofa cushions to the side Koenma made a mental note to convince his father to abolish the rule that all wizards and witches kept their wands when they died. He did not want to go through this again. Ever.
 
Yusuke started snickering when George opened the door to Koenma's office. During his time as a Spirit Detective he had seen the toddler prince do a lot of stupid or inadvertently funny things but this… “Hey Koenma, when did you take up cross dressing?” he asked, making his way into the office.
 
“Shut up Yusuke,” Koenma snapped as he pulled his remote out from under the couch. “It's just an illusion. It should wear off in another hour or two.” He ran back over to his desk and sat down in his chair, trying to ignore the image he made. “You can go now George. Make sure you keep Black out of here. I don't him anywhere near me until this thing wears off.”
 
“Yes sir.” The blue ogre shut the door and raced off to find Botan, maybe she could convince Black to take the illusion off. Hopefully he could find her before he had to go back in there. Koenma in a hoopskirt dress was not something he ever wanted to see again.
 
Yusuke smirked at Koenma. “Black did this? Next time I'm coming with a camera.” He made a mental note to ask the man how he did this before he left. It would make a great prank to use on Harry.
 
“Like I said Yusuke, it's an illusion. You won't be able to take a picture of it.” Koenma turned the view screen off, causing the picture of Genkai and Harry to disappear. “I called you here to talk about Potter.”
 
“What about Harry?” Yusuke asked scowling.
 
Koenma tossed his remote onto his desk and leaned back in his chair, looking at the detective. “What do you think of him?”
 
Yusuke's mouth dropped open and he blinked a couple of times. Botan had given him the impression Koenma was going to lock the kid up or something. “He's alright, a little more powerful than I expected but okay. Why?”
 
Koenma shrugged nonchalantly. “You're a good judge of character and I need to know if Potter is going to go down the same path as Sensui or Riddle.”
 
Yusuke scowled again. “Look like I told Botan before, the kid isn't going to do that. From what I can tell so far he's got a good head on his shoulders and he's got a damn clear aura. Well he does have a few small dark spots but nothing major,” he said with a shrug. “Why aren't you asking Kuwabara or Hiei this? Hiei could give you a better idea of what goes on in the kid's head and Kuwabara sees auras a lot better than I do.”
 
“You've known him longer and your ability to only see someone's energy is a lot more helpful at this point than Kuwabara's ability to someone's entire aura. Right now Potter doesn't have enough control and his spirit energy completely eclipses his soul's aura and that blocks Kuwabara from telling me anything useful.” Koenma sighed as he leaned forward to grab a file on his desk. “One last thing Yusuke and I'll let you leave. There are two teaching spots open at Potter's school and I was thinking of sending someone there to keep an eye on the local demon population. Who can you do with out come September?”
 
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
 
Yusuke shook his head as he climbed back up the stairs to the temple, trying to make sense of the last two hours. Even if he didn't count Black's prank on Koenma that had been the weirdest meeting he had ever had with his boss. First the semi suspicious questions about Harry then the odd question of who could pass off as a teacher.
 
He and Hiei were automatically out. He couldn't go because even with portals, Scotland was way to far away from Japan for him to guard the barrier and Hiei couldn't go because he had absolutely no tolerance for human children and he needed to be here to guard the Makai side of the barrier. That left two options, Kuwabara and Kurama. Both could do it. Kuwabara wasn't the brightest of their group but he was a good fighter, had great instincts and a big heart. All those traits would make him a good teacher and mentor but Yusuke didn't think his sense of honor and right and wrong would survive a long term exposure to the kids at Hogwarts. Harry and Koenma had told him enough about the school that he was really worried about sending his friend there. Kurama was the smartest of their group, had the patience and cunning to deal with a bunch of brats, had the experience to not only teach one of the subjects but to deal with the demons and other nasty crap that was going on in Europe and, unlike Kuwabara, his major in college was teaching so he at least he sort of had an excuse for doing it. However Kurama was a demon and if Harry's descriptions of Granger and the Ravenclaws were accurate, the guy would more than likely be found out halfway through the school year. Then there was the fact that the kitsune would not be happy about not being able to protect his mother. Yusuke didn't like the idea of sending either of them to the school. If it wasn't for the whole danger part of the mission he would have voted to send Keiko. She was strict, great with kids and had a right hook that could knock anyone on their butt.
 
Yusuke groaned softly as he walked towards the temple, wishing he had someone to fight to get rid of his headache. Where was a stray demon when he needed one?
 
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
 
Harry looked up from the journal he was drawing in when the door to the training room opened and Yusuke walked in. The Japanese teen didn't say anything but he came right over to where he was and sat down next to him and buried his head in his hands with a groan.
 
“Are you okay?” Harry asked putting his pen down.
 
Yusuke nodded without looking up. “Other than the fact that Koenma has lost his mind and I have the mother of all headaches, I'm great,” he said sarcastically. He tilted his head to the right so he could look at Harry through his fingers. “How are you?”
 
Harry shrugged. “I'm fine. We finished the tests a few hours ago and Genkai stuck me with this while she tries to get a hold of Shuichi.”
 
“You work with plants?” Yusuke asked cracking a small smile as he lifted his head.
 
“Yeah I do. It's kind of odd since Herbology isn't my best subject and…” Harry's voice trailed off when Yusuke started laughing. “What?”
 
Yusuke just shook his head and smiled. “You won't get it.” He started chuckling again when Harry kept looking at him, waiting for an explanation. “I gave you fox ears the other night.”
 
“What does that have to do with anything?” Harry asked frowning. He picked up his pen and went back to drawing the animals from the shelf he had seen in his soul room. He wasn't the best artist but Genkai had insisted he do this after he had described his soul room to her during the tests earlier.
 
“I'll explain later,” Yusuke said looking over his shoulder at the journal. His eyes almost popped out of his head when he saw the rough sketch of a kitsune, Kneazle and a small snake-like dragon. “What are you drawing?”
 
Harry glanced at him from the corner of his eyes. “Something from my soul room. Genkai asked me a bunch of questions about it earlier and when she heard about this she wanted me to draw it. She also said something about spiritual awareness and morons.” He put his pen down and looked at Yusuke. “Do you know what she was talking about?”
 
“Um, I think I'll go get something for my migraine now,” Yusuke said standing up. “See you at lunch.” He ran from the room, almost knocking Genkai down as she tried to enter.
 
Genkai watched Yusuke run off before looking at Harry with a frown. “What was that about?” she asked as she walked over to the boy.
 
“He freaked when he saw this,” Harry said holding up his journal.
 
Genkai took the book from him and raised an eyebrow at the pictures, surprised at the contents. His spiritual awareness hadn't tested anywhere near high enough for him to pick this up. She handed him the journal back and sat down in front of him. “He'll get over it. Kurama will be here tomorrow before he goes to class.”
 
“Does that mean we're done then?” Harry asked hopefully. He really wanted to go find Yusuke and ask him what was going on.
 
“No. Not including your visions from Voldemort, how often do you have prophetic dreams?”
 
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
 
Kurama scowled when his cell phone rang for the second time in ten minutes. He dug the phone out of his bag, his scowl worsened when he saw the temple's number on the id screen. What did Genkai want now? He only had another ten minutes before his next class started. He turned the phone on and held it up to his ear.
 
“What can I help you with now Genkai?” Kurama asked irritably.
 
“Damn, someone's in a bad mood.” Kurama blinked when he heard Yusuke's voice.
 
“Sorry Yusuke. I only have,” Kurama looked down at his watch, “nine minutes until class starts and I've got an exam.”
 
“Sorry man. I'll make this quick then. You don't have any classes in the morning, right?”
 
“No I don't, why?” Kurama asked as he walked into the building for his next class. He smiled at Keiko when she waved at him before she darted back into her Chemistry lab.
 
“Harry knows, well sort of knows, and I need some help explaining things.”
 
Kurama was quiet for a minute. “What do you mean he sort of knows?”
 
“For someone who's never seen us fight he's doing a damn good job of drawing a kitsune and Hiei's dragon. He said he saw them while he was meditating.” Yusuke's voice dropped to a whisper half way through his explanation.
 
Kurama sighed as he leaned against the wall by the classroom door. “There's no way his awareness is high enough to be that specific. If it was he would have spotted you back in London.”
 
“I know, but Genkai's been teaching us some weird stuff the past few days and that's when he saw it. I was wondering if you would help me explain this to the kid. I'd ask Kuwabara or Keiko but…” Kurama could almost hear Yusuke shrug.
 
“They can't show him and you don't want to cut your hair again.”
 
“Yeah.”
 
“I'll be there after breakfast.”
 
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
 
“Since Kurama won't be coming until sometime tomorrow I want you to begin researching that shelf you saw in your soul room,” Genkai said as she pushed the door open to a personal library. She led Harry around stacks and shelves full of books and scrolls. “I don't expect you to be able to pair up every animal with the person they represent but you need to have at least some idea of why people are represented by certain things.”
 
“Some of the animals I've never seen before.” Like the ones on the last shelf Harry thought as he carefully stepped around a large stack of old books.
 
“I know, but you still need to learn how and why your mind makes the connections it does,” Genkai said as they reached the back of the room where a long table was sitting. One end of the table was covered with books on wards, spiritual awareness, blood bonds and…
 
“Um, Genkai, why do you have books on demons?” Harry asked as he picked up a large dark blue-green book. He looked at the old woman with wide eyes.
 
Genkai hid a small smirk as she took the book from him. “What do you know about Japan's magical and spiritual community?”
 
“Nothing.”
 
Genkai nodded to herself as she put the book back on the table. “Think about what you've heard over the past few days. You know more than you think.” She moved over to a shelf and began pulling down a few books.
 
“Okay,” Harry said as he sat down in one of the chairs by the table. He rested his head on his arms. His eyes glazed over in thought as he watched the woman search the shelves. “Does this have something to do with Yusuke's job?”
 
Genkai smiled as she put a small stack of books in front of Harry. “That's part of it.” She sat down across from him and settled into teaching mode. “While most of countries legends are based on local magical animals and non-magical animals Japan and Asia have a much larger mythological canon. The reason for this is because the barrier between the three realms is weakest here in Japan. It's easier for demons, apparitions and other beings to cross the barrier here into this world.”
 
“Okay,” Harry said slowly. “Does that mean that you have these books for Yusuke and the others?”
 
Genkai snorted a small laugh. “Yes and no. I've collected these books all of my life and Yusuke is welcome to use them as my successor.” She took a book from the stack and began flipping through the pages looking for something. “When I was younger I was one of the best fighters in Japan. I spent years developing my own techniques and style of fighting. Because of my skills I often found myself fighting or being confronted by demons. At one point a friend and I were so well known we and a few others were invited to fight in something called the Dark Tournament.” She glanced up to see the confused expression on his face. “Ask Yusuke, he's been to one as well.”
 
“My point is that Japan is the home of many beings that you will more than likely never see anywhere else. Other than the fact that they are more violent, the stronger ones are very similar to humans. Here, what does this look like to you?” She handed him the book she had been looking at, waiting for his reaction.
 
Harry took the book and looked at the beautifully detailed picture. It was a water color print of a large silver fox with five tails sitting on top of a rock. “That's almost exactly like the fox I…”
 
“I know. It's called a kitsune or spirit fox. This one happens to be a painting of a kitsune called Youko Kurama,” Genkai said blandly.
 
Harry froze when he heard the kitsune's name. He looked at her then the picture then back at her. “You didn't bring me in here to look up animals did you?”
 
Genkai shook her head as she stood up. “Out of all the morons and fools that have come to me over the years looking for training, Yusuke was the best. But he also happens to be an over protective, big hearted dimwit who tries to keep the people he cares about safe, even when they don't need protecting.” She gave him a pointed look as she picked up another book and flipped it open to a page with a picture of a Jagan eye surrounded by a dragon made of black flames. “You're not an idiot. I'm sure you'll figure it out before Kurama gets here tomorrow.” She dropped the book on the table in front of him and walked out of the library.
 
 
tbc…
 
 
Author's Notes and Review Responses:
 
1) Hoopskirt: think Scarlet O'Hara in Gone With the Wind. The scene before the picnic where she's wearing that white and green dress.
 
 
 
Alexandria Asemet: Cookies! ::hugs box before opening it:: My first bribe! Thank you!
 
Viridian Magpie: It's coming.
 
Kit-kit: Ooo, good idea. Do you mind if I modify it a bit? I want to pair Hiei up with someone else for a prank.
 
Time and Fate: I'm having a little trouble understanding your question. If you mean am I going to show what's happening in Britain with Hermione and the Order then yes, occasionally I will show what some of the characters are doing over there. But if you're asking if this story continues through to Harry's sixth year then the answer is no. This story is only about the two summer months in Harry's school break. You'll have to wait and see what type of animal Harry is.
 
Metal Dragon1: Thank you! It will happen, eventually.
 
Bomb-O-Maniac: No, Yusuke won't be going to Hogwarts, he's needed in Japan. But I do have plans for other characters.
 
Dark Comet: Sorry about the keyboard and thank you for the idea. I'm sorry I didn't mean to make you cry. He has Pa'foo back now so it's okay.
 
Arano Honou: Thank you.
 
Kitsu3: Thank you! I really do need to reread the books.
 
Aura Black Chan: Thank you!
 
Kazztar: Congrats. You got all of them right. I choose the Kneazle because Kuwabara's spiritual awareness reminds me of Crookshanks in the third book. He's also the pet of Hermione and she has a very clear definition of right and wrong just like Kuwabara. (If anyone doesn't know Crookshanks is Hermione's cat and he's part Kneazle.)
 
Pr101: Did you remember your question you wanted to ask from chapter eleven? Well, chapter twelve according to ffnet
 
Oblivious Dreamer: Don't worry about it, like I said before I like getting questions. Your first one sort of got answered in this chapter. As for the second one if you go back to the third chapter Genkai explains this to Yusuke. To simplify it, spirit energy and magic are the same thing. Demon energy, or Youki as some sites I've seen call it, is similar enough that Yusuke can learn to use a wand and for Kurama to use one in the wizarding world if he has too. The main differences are how it's used and when a person uses it for the first time. In my universe wizards have access to it from birth while other humans like Kuwabara call on it the first time when they really need it.
 
Silver Warrior: Actually Yusuke and Kurama's animals were hiding Harry's animal.
 
Elfie-chan: Thank you!
 
Rabid Fangirl101: Okay. Pink and gray dragon-Genkai, Dolls-Botan and Yukina, Cat-Keiko, Wolf-Yusuke, Kneazle-Kuwabara, Black dragon-Hiei, Silver Fox-Kurama, Harry-hehe. I'm going to be evil and not tell anyone yet. But I will give you one tiny little clue, it's his animagus form.
 
Okaasan-7: Someone will eventually say or do something that ticks Yusuke off. Right now I'm trying my best not to fall into that fanon trap of making Yusuke into someone that goes off at the slightest little thing. He does enjoy a good fight and he most definitely has issues with authority but I just couldn't see him kicking that guy's ass unless he had specifically insulted Keiko. God knows I wanted him to but I had to stay true to how I see Yusuke's character.
 
AMK: Sirius is already torturing Koenma daily, we just don't get to see it.
 
Thank you to everyone who reviewed. I'm curious, what do you guys think Harry's animagus form will be a.k.a what was his animal on the last shelf in his soul room? I know what it is but I was wondering what everyone else thought. Hope you enjoyed the chapter. See ya.
 
Kel