Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ A Mourning Interlude ❯ A Mourning Interlude ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: A Mourning Interlude

Authors: Chrissy Sky and Terra Tenshi

Summery: AU of Episode 53 “Before the Storm! Overcoming Sorrow”. Genkai is dead and Koenma speaks to Yuusuke. Shounen-ai (pre-slash).

Notes: This is the first chapter of a much larger story, but as I don’t know if I’ll write it, this may be the only part anyone sees. It was pre-written during RP sessions with my partner so I’ve given her a co-writer credit.

*

Sitting in front of the cave where Genkai had given him her Reiki orb just a few days earlier, it seemed to Yuusuke as though his teacher would reappear at any moment. She would hit him on the head with a closed fist, telling him to stop crying like a baby. Then she would smile and Yuusuke would joke back, try to attack her and fail miserably.

It seemed impossible that she was gone. She had been otherwise just yesterday. How could that strong presence really be…?

Agh, I can’t even think it!

He hurt too much. His heart felt like it would burst in his chest. It was unbearable and yet Yuusuke kept breathing, kept thinking about it over and over again in his mind. Her small body in his arms as her life energy drained away, the smell of her blood, the desperate look on her face, her last words… All seemed etched in his memory with a hot iron.

He would never forget.

It was that night before anyone found him. Yuusuke felt more than heard his approach.“Koenma…”

“Yuusuke.”

The teen closed his eyes. “Go away.”

Koenma shook his head slowly but did not come any closer.

Yuusuke growled threateningly. “I’m not in the mood, okay? Baa-san’s gone and it’s my fault…”

“No, it’s not,” the godling replied softly.

In less than the blink of an eye, Yuusuke was on his feet, his hands fisting in the collar of Koenma’s shirt. “Yes, it is! I wasn’t fast enough and now she’s gone!” he yelled, his tears renewing.

Gently, Koenma reached up to unclench Yuusuke’s fingers with little trouble. “She knew she was going to die when she agreed to come with you.”

“I know that! It doesn’t mean that she HAD to!”

“If I told you someone had to do,” Koenma began slowly, “someone on the side of humanity, who would you have chosen to take her place?”

“Me!” was Yuusuke’s immediate answer. “It should’ve been me, damn it!”

“Then Toguro would win.”

The teen made a frustrated noise caught between a cry and a snarl. He shoved Koenma away and crouched down before the cave once more.

Koenma let him go, knowing that it would take some time before Yuusuke could accept anything he tried to say.

“How am I supposed to do this without her?” the boy asked helplessly.

“You focus on what she would want you to do,” Koenma said gently.

Yuusuke’s shoulder shook tellingly. “But, I…”

“She died so that you could save everyone. If you fail in that you are letting her down and dishonoring her memory.”

“I know,” said the teen softly. “I know that. But…”

“But?”

“But… I miss her…” He sounded small, as though the admission made him afraid.

“She wanted me to give you a message.”

This surprised the teen enough to force his eyes to him, those large brown eyes watery. “What?”

Koenma’s lips quirked slightly. “She said the last year of her life was crumby because as a student you were a pain in the ass, and she asked you to stay alive for a really long time so she could have some peace and quiet for once.”

Yuusuke blinked owlishly. Absently he noted that it sounded so much like Genkai, Koenma couldn’t be making it up.

The godling watched him closely. “And she added, ‘Win.’”

Yuusuke’s shoulders firmed slowly as the words sunk in. He flipped in the air and stood, looking up n the night sky. It was cloudy and he could not see many stars.

Koenma blinked, watching as Yuusuke’s energy began to stir. He had no idea what the teen planned so he stayed silent and watched.

Yuusuke raised his hands in his signature move, gathering his new energy and letting it surge. “Old hag! Take this!” He shot the huge blast into the sky.

Koenma watched in a sort of reverent quiet, understanding Yuusuke’s intent now. This was his response, showing Genkai and everyone on the island just what he intended to do. Urameshi Yuusuke would win against all odds with the power his teacher had given him, with the courage his friends would fill him with now. He would be stronger.

Then Koenma noticed George’s slight look of fear. The oni had stood by loyally while the godling attended to his tantei.

“You may leave us, George,” Koenma told him quietly.

“Uh, okay!” George scurried off, heading back to the hotel and obviously relieved to be doing so.

Yuusuke had fallen over after the blast. Koenma came forward slowly to kneel near his prone form.

Seeing him, Yuusuke smiled tiredly. “Do you think it reached her?”

“I’m sure it did,” Koenma answered softly.

The teen smiled wider and sat up, watching as the blast disappeared into the darkness above. Koenma watched with him.

“I’ll definitely win,” Yuusuke whispered. “For her sake. Everyone’s.”

“It’s what she would have wanted.”

Yuusuke nodded tiredly. “Yeah… It just hurts. I’m such a fucking kid, I guess. But it hurts…”

“It always does.”

Yuusuke nodded, head hanging and feeling very alone.

Koenma continued to sit with him, though he knew not what to do. While he desperately wanted to comfort Yuusuke it was an impulse he did not dare indulge in.

Without his notice, Yuusuke swayed tiredly and suddenly was leaning against Koenma. He did not even feel Koenma stiffen and it took him many more moments to fully realize what he was doing. When he did, he could distinctly hear Kuwabara’s voice in his mind accusing him of being girly and gay. But did those things really matter right now? He had so many other things to worry about than seeming gay. Besides, this felt nice.

Koenma held his breath subconsciously as Yuusuke shifted against him, not daring to move or speak. He pointedly did not look at Yuusuke and waited for the teen to pull away. It was inevitable. Everyone he cared about always pulled away. But as the minutes ticked away and Yuusuke stayed where he was, the godling began to feel hopeful. He tried to resist it, because hope would just make it worse in the end.

The teen rested his head on Koenma’s shoulder and began to relax. This really wasn’t so bad and Koenma’s teenaged form was warm against the cool evening…

Koenma began to seriously debate the pros and cons of putting his arm around Yuusuke’s shoulders. The teen did seem quite content to rest against him. Sneaking a glance down finally, he noted Yuusuke’s drooping eyes and realized at last – Yuusuke was tired. That was all. It was almost relieving.

Almost.

After a time, the teen spoke again. “Hey, Koenma? Since Genkai… I mean, we’re gonna need five teammates tomorrow and we’re down to four. Could you step in?”

Koenma blinked, surprised to even be considered. “Of course.”

Yuusuke smiled tiredly. “Thanks. You shouldn’t have to fight. We’ll win the first four rounds.”

“I know.”

Yuusuke relaxed against him. He was really quite tired after witnessing Genkai’s death, Toguro punching him across half the forest, crying, and sending that blast of reiki into the sky.

Koenma stopped breathing as Yuusuke slumped more against him, beyond shocked. He waited and all the teen did was snore.

He’s asleep! Koenma mused, surprised all the more.

He shifted slowly and carefully, standing with the teen in his arms. Yuusuke thankfully did not stir, though he seemed to smile in his sleep. He felt a powerful hand fist on his shirt as he walked in the direction of hotel.

Kuwabara still stood in front of the hotel, pacing, and so he saw Koenma’s approach with Yuusuke limp in his arms. “Urameshi! Is he okay?!”

“He exhausted himself,” Koenma told him calmly.

“I saw that blast! Was he fighting?”

“No. He was mourning.”

“Mo – Mourning?”

Koenma nodded, carrying Yuusuke into the hotel. Kuwabara held open doors for them as they passed, following close.

“For who?!” the tall teen demanded.

“That’s for him to tell you.” Koenma supposed that it would be easier if he said something rather than leave it to Yuusuke, but Yuusuke himself was still having trouble facing the reality.

“Oh… Okay…” Kuwabara shook his head, deciding that Koenma was just weird. “Anyway, let’s get the dumb bastard into bed.”

Yuusuke had already spoken in his sleep before so neither of them were really surprised when he did it again. “Kuwabara’s the dumb bastard… Always shooting off his mouth… Mm…” It was the fact that Yuusuke seemed quite content to snuggle in his arms and nuzzle his neck that surprised Koenma.

He blushed.

“Urameshi!” Kuwabara growled, oblivious. He unlocked Yuusuke’s bedroom door. “Here. I’m gonna head for bed. Can you take care of him?”

Koenma nodded. “Of course.”

“Cool.” Kuwabara hesitated – he would have dearly liked to draw on Yuusuke’s face, but one could never be too sure how conscious he was when asleep. Already he had spoken so it was probably best not to. Instead, Kuwabara trudged down the hall to his room, to rest and look forward to the day of training tomorrow.

Koenma took Yuusuke into his room, laying him down. He was surprised again by the teen when Yuusuke still clutched onto his shirt and whimpered almost plaintively. Gently Koenma unclenched the boy’s fingers.

“Mmph…” Yuusuke gave in, settling down in the bedding.

Sitting up, Koenma fussed with the blankets so that Yuusuke was covered just so, safe to show his caring with no prying eyes about.

Yuusuke curled up on his side, seeming to fall into a deeper sleep but was no doubt still aware of his surroundings.

“Goodnight, Yuusuke,” Koenma whispered.

“G’night, Koenma,” the sleeping boy answered. “Thanks…”

Koenma nodded, knowing he probably wouldn’t have heard that note of gratitude if Yuusuke had been awake, and left quietly.

This story is continued in To Serve and Protect. Reviews are loved.