Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ A Prayer For The Dying ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A Girl, A Bar, And Dancing

Okay, this is another fic by me! DarkWaterKitsune! Just a heads up: I'm VERY inconsistent. Sometimes I use 'Kasaan, sometimes I use mom. Sometimes I use Hai or Iie and other times I use yes or no. To put it simply, sometimes I use Japanese and other times I don't. Okay? On with the fic! Wait! The disclaimer! Kurama, please do the honors!

Kurama: DarkWater doesn't own me or any of the others, Seal, Rob Zombie, Linkin Park, Vanessa Carlton.....is there anything else? She does own Kairi, though.

DarkWater: Nope! Nothing else! That's right! I give credit where credit is do to the group Seal for their song 'Prayer For The Dying'. So, don't sue. You will get nothing! My wallet has been empty for so long. *Opens wallet to show the vast emptiness.* See? No cash people! *Sniff* I'm so broke....

Hiei: Yes you are because you are too lazy to do anything but write fics. If you would get off your ass and do something like get a job....

DarkWater: I'm only 12! There are child labor laws ya know.

Hiei: Then do some chores and earn some allowance.

DarkWater: Suck it, Shorty.

Hiei: Don't start with me....

DarkWater: Hiei, please! I'm taller than you! *Stands next to him to show she's a full four inches taller.* So there! Now we can get on with the fic! *Runs from the extremely angry, katana-weilding half-Koorime with laptop in hand.*


"Let me out! K'so! Let me out NOW!" Hiei had been following the sound of the orders for the past few minutes out of curiosity. "When I get my hands on you....! K'so!" When the voice stoppped, so did he. Now he followed the sounds of soft banging and pounding. The Makai forest was silent, but he could barely pick up the sounds. He eventually found a long box that resembled a coffin up against a tree in the forest. Hiei walked up and examined it, wondering if this had made the noises. The banging continued from inside the coffin. Whoever they were, they were trapped. He pulled on a lever on the side of it and the front half felt off. A flow of water came gushing out, along with a body. It was a girl with black hair that was tied back. She was no taller than the spikes on his hair. She got up on all fours, coughing the water out of her lungs. Without looking to see who had saved her, she stood up and began to wring her clothes out. "Oi, doumo. I probably wouldn't only last a few mintues in there." She was wearing a simple navy blue cloak, though, it was more tattered and worn than Hiei's. "So, what your name?"
Hiei looked away. "Hn. Hiei."
"Kairi. Here's the part where I would thank you and dedicate my life to you for getting me out of that hell-trap, but I'd run if I were you. That is, unless you can fight."
"If you think you can beat me, you're sadly mistaken." Hiei smirked, knowing she wasn't very strong. Didn't look it at all.
"No, baka. I mean...."
"There's the wench! She got out! How 'bout we just kill her?!" They both turned to a group of demons. Hiei roughly counted 25 or 30 of them. "And he's probably the one that let her out!" Their leader pointed to Hiei. "We'll kill you both!"
"Alright, now you're just being cocky. You caught me off guard and shuved me into a box that was slowly filling with water in an attempt to painfuly drown me."
"You killed our men!"
"Yeah, so? I can be homocidal at times. Got a problem with that?"
"Enough talk! Get her and him!" The entire group charged Kairi first, eager to take out one at a time. Hiei saw the faint glint in her jade eyes. In a split second she was on the other side of the group, and they all hit the ground. Hiei followed every one of her movement all the same.
"Give me a break. Arigatou, Hiei. Maybe I'll see you around. Doubt it, though." And with that, she walked off. If she hadn't been so ragged and dirty, the thought crossed Hiei's mind that she might have looked....nice. Why was he thinking like that? He could have hit himself upside the head to clear his mind, but it really wouldn't do much good to give himself a concussion.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Now class, please take your seats!" Kurama was relieved that this was his last class of the day. It was parenting class. This was a course that some of the students refered to as a 'Bird Class'. (A/N: I got that from the Sister Act 2 if ya've ever seen it) That was the term that they used to describe an extremely easy class. "Now, after a hard day of school, I was thinking we could work outside. You deserve some free time and fresh air. So, let's go!" Cheery, more so than Botan. The teacher lead the class outside with that ever-present smile on her face and let them do whatever they pleased. The boys had fun knocking each other senseless while the girls gossipped and giggled. Kurama took a seat against a tree and simply relaxed. He saw a group of girl approach, ready to giggle about him being so "kawaii" and such. They weren't looking at him, though. They were staring up into the tree.
"K-Kairi-san, how did you get up there?" one asked seemingly to the tree.
"I climbed." came the answer.
"Wouldn't you rather talk with us? I promise you'll have a good time!"
There was a slight laugh. "You do realize that is like saying that I can drink three bottles of sake and not get drunk."
"You don't like to talk about boys?"
Another laugh. "I don't care to discuss your failed attempts of trying to speak with Minamino." Kurama watched them all blush.
"Well, have YOU ever spoken to Minamino-kun?" The branches rustled, and Kairi jumped down.
"Don't care to." She turned around and walked toward a spot where no one stood. She stood with her back to the wall that surrounded the school building and lightly laughed to herself. The group of girls walked away from Kurama and went back to gossiping amongst themselves saying a quick,
"I don't like her." or, "She was too rude." or even, "She was just scared to speak to Suiichi!" There was another rustle of leaves from above.
"Stupid half-wits. Are you still their idle?"
"Afraid so. So, where have you been, Hiei?"
"Hn." Hiei thought it would be better not to say anything about the girl. Then, Hiei caught sight of Kairi standing with her back against the wall, staring at the tree he was sitting in.
"Alright! Class dismissed!" the teacher yelled after a little while. Kairi walked past the tree, glaring at Kurama, then to Hiei who was completely hidden.
"Kairi!" a girl yelled as she ran up to her. "See you at practice tonight?"
"Iie. I've got something else that I can't miss." Kairi sighed.
"I'm not that bad!"
"Well, you're one of the better ones, but that's not the reason."
"Could I come to yours then? I mean watch, of course."
"I don't see anything wrong with it. You could actually help if you want." And they walked off talking.
"Hiei," Kurama began, standing up. "Do you know Kairi?" Hiei's heart skipped a beat.
"What makes you think so?"
"You were extremely uneasy when she walked by." He smiled, knowing he had made Hiei even more uneasy.
"I saw her in the Makai yesterday, that's all." Hiei's voice was even more ( *Cough cough* ) impolite.
"There was something I wanted to ask you." Kurama paused. "Yusuke and the others are going dancing tonight, and wanted to know if you were coming."
"I wouldn't waste my time."
"Yukina's going....with Kuwabara." Hiei's attention sparked.
"The Fool will probably trip over his own two feet."
"Will you come?"
"Hn." was Hiei's 'Yes'.


"I don't even know why the shrimp's bothering to show up." Kuwabara leaned over to Hiei. "Dancing is really hard. Of couse I can dance! I'm a great dancer!"
"C'mon, Kuwabara. We all know that whatever you can do someone else can do better." Yusuke covered his mouth to avoid a laughing fit when Kuwabara leaned over him with hell in his eyes.
"I'm sure everyone will do fine, Kazuma." Yukina assured, tugging Kuwabara back.
"You're right Yukina! You're always right!" Kuwabara blushed heavily as they all entered the club. The music wasn't too loud, but loud enough that it carried over the yells of the crowd.
"Time to have some fun!" Yusuke yelled. He grabbed Keiko's wrist and pulled her in with him.
"C'mon Yukina!" Kuwabara said, pulling Yukina gently into the crowd. Kurama and Hiei took seats at the bar. Watching was enough for their amusement.
"So, what can I get you two?" the bartender asked with a light American accent.
"Anything." Kurama suggested.
"Hey kid! Grab me...."
"Already got it!" A bottle came up from under the bar and into the man's hand.
"Hey, kid! Get up in the rafters and replace the lights."
"Hai." Kairi swung up from the cellar and caught sight of the two. "Hey. Uncle Dante, this is Suiichi and Hiei."
"In that case, drinks on the house for you two."
"Didn't know the goody boy, Minamino Suiichi, would ever touch liquor." She gave a quick smirk, and Kurama gave a quick smile. She climbed a ladder behind the bar and went up into the rafters.
"So, how long have you know her? She normally won't pay attention to anyone, let alone remember their name unless they've done something worth while for her."
"We go to school together, and her and Hiei are friends." Kurama explained.
"I'm done." Kairi announced half to herself as she appeared behind the bar again.
"Alright, kid."
"I'll be back tomorrow night."
"Don't you have anything better to do? Girls your age should have boyfriends or something."
"Get off my case."
"I'm just saying that you'll never fall in love."
"You say that like it's a bad thing." She paused. "Anyway, later." And she disappeared in the blink of an eye.
"Stop doing that! You'll scare people!" He paused, looking under the bar for something. "Now, where did that last whine cooler go....? Kairi!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kairi juggled the bottle in her hand and took the cap off. "Thank you, Uncle Dante!" She paused to take a sip. "Mmmm....strawberries." She finished it quickly so she wouldn't be caught drinking at home. "Kasaan would get mad. She doesn't care if it's legal or illegal." Moments later, Kairi was inside their small apartment. "Oi, kasaan! I'll be out for the next few days!"
"Alright."
"Ja!" She grabbed a bag that was packed before hand, dressed in her usual, ragged attire when she traveled, and went on her way to the Makai. Out the window, onto the roof, and rooftop to rooftop got her places much faster. She gave a short chuckle to herself. "Kasaan just let me off of school for the next days to come and probably didn't even know it! She was probably too tired to tell it was me." She couldn't help but smirk. "Score one for Kairi! Zero for kasaan and Dante!" She came to a halt, catching sight of Hiei, Kurama, Yusuke, Kuwabara, Keiko, and Yukina. "Doesn't that make a sweet group?" She sighed and kept going. Her shoes only made slight taps on the shingles as she ran. That was enough to get attention.
"Hold it!" Yusuke held his arm up for the Spirit Gun. The girls got behind the four, prepared for anything.
"Damn. How to explain myself if I'm caught? Oh well, I just won't get caught." She turned and took off running and leaping again. The four of them kept up. "This is no good. Time for Plan B."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Did you feel that? The ki just disappeared!" Kuwabara half-yelled.
"What do you mean 'The ki just disappeared!'?" Yusuke asked. "Whoever they were, they weren't doing anything wrong."
"Just drop it, Urameshi."
"Yeah, let's get home and sleep."


DarkWater: *Yawns* Sleep.....I love sleep. *Uses authoress powers to create a sunset beach seen with a hammock between two palm trees. Quickly hops into hammock*

Hiei: Review it. *Holds up mallet* I can think of 300,000 different ways to have some evil fun that includes people who flame and this mallet.

DarkWater: No, Hiei. It's okay. Flames will be used to fuel Hiei's Kokuryuha and heat the water in the hot spring for Kurama. Flames are welcome, just don't go extreme and cuss me out or something. Every last bit of those flames will be used to its fullest to make the bishonen happy! Until the next chapter, this is DarkWaterKitsune, keeper of the Land of Protected Bishonen!