Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ A Thousand And One Lives ❯ Death Number 1001 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A thousand lives I have lived,
Though I try to die,
A thousand lives I have lived,
And yet I don't know why.
A thousand lives I have lived,
A thousand faces I know as my own.
I kill myself a thousand times,
Yet I wake every time,
To yet another new face,
That I must call my own.
 
A Thousand And One Lives
Chapter 1: Death Number 1,001/Unwelcome Guest
I had just decided I liked this body too, I thought somewhat sad as my spirit floated above my newly dead body. I had liked the power I could wield in the demon body I had occupied for another lifetime. I believe that would make it 1,001 deaths I've experienced now. I don't really understand why, but when I died the first time, as well as every time that fallowed, I'd get sucked into another body to live for another life. Normally I'm born into another being as a newborn, of course. Honestly though, dieing is a lot easier than being born. Another way I get a new life is if someone's in comma or near death my spirit takes over their body and kicks their spirit out. If you where to count all the times I was alive and not just one of the times, I would be 2686 years old. My first, and original life, was dull. I was an average village girl who complained about chores and other things like that, then grew up worked as a story teller to the village, then died of old age at home with 2 sons, their wivesall 5 of them, and 26 grandchildren. I can't even remember what my name was then. My second life freaked me out a bit, but, as naive as I was, I thought this was my chance at a more exiting life. I worked hard, as a teen I learned how to fight, then as an adult I was a traveler and explored the world till one day when I was bit by a venomous snake and died. I wonder if anyone found my body out there in the middle of that rain forest. After that one my whole `another chance' perspective wore off quickly. I believe I killed myself 30-45 times after I got bored of that though, I used my spare lives to mess and toy with everyone else's. This task became easier when I was sucked into a demon body for the first time. I believe that was life number 600. Anyway, I unleashed heck on earth, or rather, the human world part of it, as at that point I had learned of spirit world and demon word. During life 899 I had met King Enma, ruler of spirit world, and his son, King Enma Jr. also known as Koenma. In this life I became a fairy girl, or grim reaper, named Shia and guided spirits to spirit world. I found it all rather interesting since I seemed to not be capable of properly dieing. I spoke to Koenma about my dieing problem and he did some research, but was unable to find out anything about it or figure out how to fix it. That time I had died saving one of Koenma's spirit detectives from dieing. I went back to my havoc reaping ways. My last life, life 1,001, I had been one of the most powerful female demons, that is until another powerful female demon had managed to catch me asleep.
I sigh and look around. I hadn't realized it wile I was thinking about my past lives, but my spirit was being pulled to a nice looking little house in human world. As I passed threw the walls I expected to see either someone about to give birth, or someone about to die, but instead I saw a young girl, about 15 or 16, channel surfing. She didn't look pregnant. I looked around the room for someone else, but there was no one. The girl sighed irritated and finally just turned the TV off, rolled over, and fell asleep. My spirit was thrown forward and into the girl's body. This has happened a few times before, but normally the person's spirit is thrown out of the body as I enter. This girl's spirit, however, stayed.
I took control of the body and walked over to where I saw a mirror on the wall. I was in the same body I had been in during my last life! This is odd, I thought to myself looking over the navy blue hair, blood red eyes, and the black fox demon ears and tail I had gotten used to seeing over life number 1,001. I felt the girl's spirit wake up within me but ignored it, as I am completely confused just now. The girl's spirit is fully awake and lets out a piercing scream that only I can hear since it's only in my head. I stumble back to the couch and give control of the body back to the girl. She continues screaming but now it's out loud. A boy, about 19 or 20 years old, runs into the room and to the girl. He comforts her with a hug.
“Are you okay, Colleen?” he asks as she calms down, “What happened?” The girl, whose name was apparently Colleen, felt her head. Probably looking for the fox ears. Though, as I had guessed, the demon form had disappeared when the girl took control. She was once more her blonde haired, human self.
“I-it looked… real.” She confessed to the boy, “I-I couldn't move. A-nd I had fox ears and a tail. My hair was blue also. My eyes… they where blood red!!!”
The boy sighed and shook his head, “You where watching TV when you where supposed to be sleeping again, weren't you?”
“Brier!!!” Colleen scolded with tears forming in her eyes, “I'mnot kidding! This is not a joke!”
“Fine,” the boy, Brier, said defeated, “We can't have you going to your new school for the first time being tired; you take the bedroom and I'll sleep down here. Okay?” After Colleen nodded and got up Brier gave her a quick hug. She left the room but not before checking her reflection in the mirror.
I waited till she was up in the bedroom to speak to her. “Colleen.” I said to get her attention, then added quickly, “Please don't scream!”
Her eyes got large and she spun around to look at the entire room. “How do you know my name?! Who are you?! Where are you?! Show yourself!!!” She grabbed a small fish bowl, with two little blue fish in it, off the dresser as she continued to look around. Oh boy, this should be interesting, I thought.
“You may call me Kitsa.” I said using the name from my previous life, “You can calm down. I won't hurt you. I can't really show myself… errm…” I decided being blunt was the easiest way to do this, “…I'm inside of you.”
“What?!” She gasped. She was defiantly not calm. “You're an alien aren't you!!!” Not calm in any way. “You came to take over earth!!!” Way too many comic books where in this girl's past. “Or you're an evil spirit that haunts this house and have come to avenge your death!!!” At least she was right about me being a spirit that time. “No!!! YOU'RE AN EVIL *NUBKIN!!!” An evil what? Why does she keep saying I'm evil anyway? What did I do to her? “AN EVIL *NUBKIN FROM THE PLANET *KNUB!!!” What has this girl been smoking?
“STOP!!!” I shout trying to stop the meaningless chatter that was spilling from her mouth. “I'm not an alien, evil spirit, nor am I an evil… ubkin… or… whatever. I am kind of a spirit, I guess. What you saw as your reflection in the mirror down stairs, that is what I look like.”
“Okay.” She said slowly, “But what was with the fox ears?”
“Well, I'm somewhat a demon.” I reply.
“When are you leaving? Tomorrow? Tonight? Now?” She asks.
Well, that was rude. I sighed as I said, “I can't. Not now, tonight, tomorrow, next week or ever.”
Now Colleen just seemed dead tired. “I'm going to bed. I'll deal with this in the morning!” I made her way to the bed.
“Wait!”
“Now what?” she growled.
“Do you always sleep with a fish bowl?”
She looked down at the fish bowl that was still in her hands and sighed. She then placed the bowl on the floor and quietly said to the fish, “Night, Arco. Night, Mr. Blue,” Then crawled into the bed.