Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ An Old Enemy ❯ Setting Out ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Setting Out
 
The next morning Aoi returned to them out of breath. Once the air had returned to her lungs, she grabbed one of the drinks on the table before she told them anything. At last she took a deep breath.
 
“Okay Kend is indeed back in Makai,” Aoi confirmed, “Apparently he somehow got one of the guards close enough to the bars of his cage in Reikai and that's how he escaped. The guards who were in charge of his cave never told Koenma because they wanted to make sure that he was back in his prison first. Unfortunately they didn't recapture him in time so now he has your children.
 
“There is a catch though. Kend has the ability to control the elements around him as long as he is only controlling one at a time. This makes Kend a very difficult opponent. At this moment in time I have no idea how you could even hope to defeat him. He is far stronger than you realize. The only reason why you managed to have him captured all those years ago was because you caught him off guard.”
 
Yusuke nodded, “Okay while that is great information that still doesn't help us with where he took Hoshi and Bara.”
 
Aoi sighed, “I was getting to that. Now he is currently located in an abandoned castle at the edge of your territory Kurama. This castle is just crawling with chambers and passage ways that are filled with Kend's henchmen. They alone are not going to be easy to defeat."”
 
Hiei snorted, “That isn't much of a threat. We have faced opponents much more challenging.”
 
Sasha's eyes suddenly widened before she relaxed. The others stared at her in surprise as she glanced out the window. Perhaps they would be able to be successful here. However that could change in a matter of seconds.
 
Kurama watched his bride curiously. Sasha knew something that the others did not. But what did she know? Turning to face Aoi, he found that the barmaid was staring off into space as though she were planning something. Kurama sighed. He would never even hope to understand women.
 
Aoi suddenly spoke up, “You guys do realize that you could use all the help you can get right? Let's face it only two of us at this table can survive going into that forest alone. You do better in a larger group.”
 
“Why are you offering your services?” Kurama laughed.
 
“Yes actually.”
 
“But you are a girl!” Kuwabara cried.
 
Aoi glared at him, “What's your point human?”
 
“Nothing! I didn't mean anything I swear.”
 
“That's what I thought.”
 
An hour later the small group set out. The villagers watched them leave never saying a word until they were no longer in sight. Once the trees had surrounded them everything grew quiet. Kuwabara glanced around nervously recalling what Aoi had said earlier. She certainly hadn't meant him when she had said that only two of their group could survive being in this forest alone.
 
Eventually they stopped and Aoi made a small fire along with some food. They ate in silence before deciding to get some sleep. Aoi volunteered to be the first watch. After she was sure that all slept from the drug she had slipped into their food she ran out into the trees. There she waited.
 
After several minutes a handsome man appeared. He leaned against a tree behind him with an eyebrow raised in question. The man had no idea why he had been called here and he wanted to know now.
 
“The detectives have arrived in Makai,” Aoi whispered.
 
The man nodded, “Very good Aoi you have done well. Now return to them and tomorrow lead them straight to the castle. Koenma's great soldiers will never know what hit them.”
 
“I will do so gladly.”
 
“Good now go,” the man replied as he vanished into the darkness.
 
When Aoi returned she went about her watch never noticing the three eyes that studied her in the darkness. They knew now that she was a traitor. Aoi was going to suffer for this betrayal later. For now playing along was safer.
*******************
“I'm hungry!” Hoshi whined.
 
“Me too!” Bara agreed.
 
The demoness sighed. She knew that it was time to feed the children but they did not have time to stop. If Kend had started searching for them then they needed much more distance. Eventually though, she gave in and handed them some dried meat.
 
“Here take this. Suck on it though because it's hard and I don't want you to hurt yourselves. Remember though that this is all I have until we can find a village to stay at.”
 
“Thank you,” the twins said as they sucked on the meat contently.
 
Next Time:
Aoi is a traitor who is leading the Spirit Detectives straight into a trap. Plus she knows exactly how to separate the poor team until they are utterly confused. Can they survive the castle that is filled with demons out to kill them? Find out on Kend's Fortress.