Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Assassin's Story ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Akira stared at the clearing from her perch in a tall tree. The Makai was full of forests that concealed the hunters and the hunted. She was near her quarry, of that she was sure. The problem was that her quarry was one of the almost thirty demons that frequented the clearing. The blood had not told her exactly which one was in charge. She had to wait and watch and learn. She was used to this, however. One did not survive as an assassin without learning hunting skills. It was thrilling to be hunting again. She had missed the thrill of stalking her target, of singling him out, of planning the perfect kill, and vanishing, only leaving a corps behind as evidence. A knife sharp smile touched her lips, marring the innocence of the face. After seventeen years of being hidden by the guardians, her blood was singing in her veins. It wasn't that she was blood thirsty. No assassin would be, if they wished to survive. Her instincts were riding high. She wanted to take care of all the demons in the clearing. Maybe she would, but not until she was sure the leader would be among them.

Mentally, she shook herself. It wouldn't do to loose concentration. She had to control her ki or she would be found. That wouldn't do at all. After all, she had a reputation to uphold. The Phantom of Death would not be found, especially on this job, which was as personal as it was commissioned. She smiled at the thought of Kurama trying to take care of this group. He wouldn't have been able to handle it on his own. Maybe with his Jaganshii friend, but not on his own.

Motion in the clearing caught her attention. Someone was arriving. Someone new to her, but known to the group. Judging by their reactions, it was someone important. Her concentration spiked as she unconsciously suppressed her ki even further, almost becoming a void to that spiritual energy. Confusion crossed her mind. There was no strong spike in ki that should have accompanied the arrival of a powerful demon. The ki was almost as weak as most humans. What was going on? All of her senses were on high alert, waiting.

A column opened in the gathering of demons, a path to the center of the clearing braced by bowing demons on both sides. A small form separated itself from the forest's shadows and walked slowly to the center of the gathering. A chair was produced quickly and the form sat on it. The demons began milling about, almost as if seeking blessings from their ruler. How odd, Akira thought, why are they acting that way? Why can't I see the leader clearly? She wanted to move, but an instinct held her still, perched on the branch, barely breathing. Her eyes were wide as she continued to take in the odd scene being played out in front of her.

She saw the eyes of the leader looking at her, actually looking at her, even though that should not have been possible. A flutter of darkness and the form was in front of her, hovering above her branch. Even this close, she could not clearly make out details of the person in front of her. What was going on? No demon should have been able to see her. Certainly none of those in the clearing had spotted her all week. What was this creature?

A chuckle rose from the chest of the creature hovering before her. "Why, my darling Akira, it is good to see you again. Did you miss me?"

Akira was taken aback. She did not use her given name to take assignments. If someone wanted her services, they left a message with payment for the phantom in a certain tree. Several had tried to catch the phantom by placing assignments in the tree and waiting in ambush. What they didn't know was the tree contained a portal to Akira's hide away. She never went to the tree. She didn't need to know who commissioned her, only that she was paid. No one should have known, but this creature did. "Who are you?" she asked rudely, trying to recover the balance in her mind as rapidly as possible.

"My, my, such manners. Well, I suppose I do have unfair advantage over you." The figure's head cocked to one side as it seemed to appraise her. The voice did not help Akira determine the gender of the speaker. A hand reached up and stroked her cheek, causing Akira to slam back into the tree. The figure chuckled again, "I can see you don't remember me, little Akira. Such a pity, really. You used to know me. Don't you remember, koi?" The figure bent near her and lips brushed against hers.

For the first time she could remember, Akira was completely at a loss. Never had she been so off balance mentally. She lost her physical balance and would have fallen from her perch had not the shadowy person wrapped her in its arms. She didn't remember. How could she? Koi? No one had used that term to her. No one had ever kissed her. She had never been close to anyone, ever. "K-k-koi?" she finally managed to stutter.

A ripple of amusement, a true laugh, emerged from the shadow holding her on the tree. Akira felt, for the first time, a spike of fear coursing through her body. Her hand began to reach for her sword when it was caught by the figure. Some part of her mind registered that the touch was gentle, that it didn't hurt, just kept her from moving. "Ah, koi, we can't have that, can we?" the voice rippled with amusement. "I should be hurt that you don't remember me, my little one. We used to have such fun."

Images flitted through Akira's mind. Images of friendship, of touching and more. But there was something wrong with them. What was it? Her mind was reeling. She struggled to find something to grab onto. This was a game, she thought desperately. This has to be a game. Suddenly, it struck her. The images were from the wrong perspective to be her memories. That thought relieved and frightened her. She didn't remember because there was nothing to remember. But, how could this creature enter her mind?

Again, laughter burbled up from the one before her. "Quick, aren't you, little one? Good, I'm glad to see it. You're here for that kitsune. I knew you wouldn't kill him, you know, and that's why I hired you. There were others after him that would not have had the same scruples, you understand."

Akira found herself sitting upright again on the branch. "I don't understand. You hired me because you knew I'd fail? Then why did you send those automations and demons after me?"

The figure was becoming clearer and Akira could see it was a woman. "Yes, little one, I hired you to fail. I did it to save him. I needed to talk with you and figured that was the easiest way to get you to come to me."

Recognition was beginning to flit around the edges of Akira's mind, "Why? Why did you want me to fail? Why do you want to talk to me?"

"My little Youko was pushing too many limits. He needed to be curbed, but not so that he'd know he was being curbed. He needed to learn some caution, some respect, and his station. I like the changes in him since he's been in the Nigenkai. I wanted to warn you to keep guard over him. I do like him alive, you see."

It was almost as if a lightning bolt had passed through her. Recognition rocked Akira so strongly that she almost fell out of the tree again, to be caught by the woman across from her. "Oh, Inari!" she gasped.

The woman, the goddess, across from her laughed. "Well, now that we know each other, I must leave. Return to my precious one, and watch out for him." Inari faded from sight, leaving Akira in the tree, visible and detectable. The demons in the clearing looked up at her, but she didn't notice. Slowly, her awareness of her surroundings returned. She would have been embarrassed at her lack of control, but the demons in the clearing gave no indication that they knew she was there so she was spared that knowledge.

Well, she thought, back to the beginning.

A/N Well, honestly, I didn't expect to update this story since I had a lot of unanswered questions about it in my own mind. I personally find this story disturbing, but it's better written than floating in my head. I don't think there's a need for footnotes to this. The narrative allowed for explanations in this chapter. Maybe a little on Inari? She/He (Shinto doesn't take that much exception to gender bending, I guess…although the "he" could have been Buddhist influence) is the god(dess) of the rice. Her messengers are the kitsune, shape shifting foxes, and she is often pictured riding a fox. She is as playful as her kitsune and would often tempt humans by becoming a very beautiful person (as did the kitsune). Though the kitsune are hers, she is not held responsible for their actions, but she does care for them…anyway…

Trin-hope you like it

Dark Rose-How can I steal a name that was given to me at birth? My nick is my first initial and my middle name…*shrug*