Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Assassin's Story ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Akira had been watching Kurama for three days, trying to decide how to tell him that she had not only failed, but could not complete her mission and had been forced to take another. She did not feel that she could reveal the name of her client, not that she thought he'd believe her anyway, so that made it difficult. But, by admitting failure to him, she also would be forfeiting her life to him. With her failure, he had the right to kill her with her own sword. How would she tell him but keep her life and not reveal her client? She chewed on her lip as she watched him and his Jaganshii friend enter the shrine of an old master. It was now or never, she told herself. With a quick thought of prayer, she entered the temple quickly and perched on one of the rafters. None of those gathered had sensed her yet, but she didn't want to be seen just yet. In need of a little more direction on how to approach this, she watched as the meeting began. There were the three she'd met before, along with a large carrot topped male, and a small pink haired woman, the old master. As she watched, she learned their names and their personalities. She had a plan by the time the meeting was breaking up. Quick as thought, she moved from the rafters and knelt by the door, bowing to the floor, placing her sword above her head, pointing toward her. She landed directly in front of Kurama, as she planned, and heard the several gasps of surprise at her presence.

 

"Akira?" Kurama asked in surprise. "What is the meaning of this?" He knew by her posture that she had not only failed but was actually admitting it to him and offering her life in penance. He wanted to know why she had failed.

 

With her face to the floor, she began "I watched them for a week…"

"Get up, I do not want to listen to you talk to the floor," Kurama interrupted her.

 

She winced, did he really need to humiliate her more? As she rose, she also saw that he had not picked up her sword, further injuring her pride. She began her story again, "I found them and watched them for a week. I wanted to be sure their leader was there. There were thirty of them, but none of them were the leader. After a week, the leader showed up. I could not see the leader clearly, even though they were in a clearing. But, I was seen. Their leader saw me and talked with me. Twice during that conversation, I nearly fell out of the tree I was in, to be stopped by the leader. I was hired to kill you the first time because it was known that I would fail and that was the goal. I was rehired by the leader for another job, but since I have failed you, you have the right to my life."

 

"Who was their leader?"

 

"I cannot say."

 

"Why not?"

She bit her lip. She didn't have an answer to this question. "I cannot say," she repeated.

 

"What job were you commissioned to take?"

 

She bent to the floor again, "I cannot say."

 

The Jaganshii, Hiei, spoke up, "Have you been hired to kill him again?"

 

"No, not kill him," she emphasized the word kill.

 

The big one, Kuwabara, now spoke up, "What's going on here? Why is this girl here and what are they talking about?"

 

Yusuke elbowed him in the stomach and hissed at him, "I'll explain it later. Shuddup!"

 

The old master, Genkai, just watched, interested in the turn of events. Kurama had told them of his meeting with this Akira.

 

"If not kill me, then what?" Kurama asked.

 

"Please, don't ask me, I cannot say." Akira was starting to believe she had chosen the wrong course of action, but it was too late to change now. Behind her, she felt the same presence from the clearing. Inari was here?

 

"Actually, you can say, Akira," she heard.

 

She sat up and looked behind her, but she couldn't see anyone, and, when she looked back at the others, it was obvious they had not even heard the voice. Her eyes went wide, focused on her sword, now in Kurama's hand and pointed directly at her throat. Everyone was watching her closely. "I…I uh, was just told that I can tell you what commission I've been given…" her voice trailed off uncertainly.

 

"Really?" Kurama asked coldly, suspicious at this sudden change.

 

"Tell them everything," she heard from behind.

 

"Yes, really," Akira's voice strengthened slightly. She took in a deep breath, looking directly into Kurama's eyes, "I was commissioned by Inari to kill you before because she was worried that someone else would try and she is rather fond of you. She wanted you to live, but to escape the notice of your enemies and reform some of your ways. She is pleased with what changes you've made since you've been here. She wants me to guard your life from your enemies now that they are again aware of you."

 

She saw his disbelief in his eyes. "Why should I believe you? That story is insane." His hand tightened its grip on her sword.

 

She continued to hold his gaze, "Because I am an assassin, not a liar."

 

For an eternity, he regarded her and she waited on his judgment. It was almost as if the room itself held its breath. Finally, he flipped her sword around and handed it to her. Relief washed through her as she accepted it from him, bowing as she did. She was about to resheath it when she felt her hand being stopped. She looked over to see Hiei blocking her sword with his own.

 

"What?" she asked

 

"Why should I trust you to do what we can do ourselves?"

 

She looked at him frankly, "I don't really see that you have much of a choice, Hiei. Unless you want to take it up with Inari yourself, that is. And, I would not recommend that, at least not until you can defeat me." A knife sharp smile crossed her lips as her sword found its way to the side of his neck before he could see it.

 

"Hn," he grunted and turned away. She knew she had proven her point to him. Satisfied, she sheathed her sword.

 

"You mean she can move faster than the shrimp?" Kuwabara asked in amazement.

 

She laughed merrily at him, "Of course, Kuwabara, what good would I be as an assassin if I got caught?"

 

"But you're just a girl," he protested.

 

She laughed again, this time releasing some of her hold on her ki, letting him get a taste of her true power. Her amusement increased as she saw him blanche at what he felt. Even Genkai didn't look very comfortable with what she felt. She damped down again on her ki, "Any more questions?"

 

Yusuke grinned at her, "Glad you're on our side."

 

"But, I'm not…I'm on the side that preserves my life."

 

"Which is our side," he pointed out.

 

"For now," she conceded. "But what happens when this commission is over and perhaps I am sent after one of you? I'm not particularly fond of baring my neck."

 

He shrugged, "You won't take it."

 

She was amazed by his confidence, "You're awfully cocky for a human."

 

"I've been telling him that for ages, he doesn't listen," Genkai spoke up.

 

Akira smiled at her. "It is time I leave."

 

Genkai and Kurama nodded. Yusuke, however, spoke up, "How are you gonna guard him if you're not around?"

 

"I work best in shadows. You won't know where I am, but I will be around. If I need to talk with you again, I'll show myself. Until then, I'll just take care of the ones you can't." With that, she bowed and left the temple.

 

A/N: Well…I still find this story disturbing…and you get to read the toned down version…I can't bring myself to actually write the version from my head, but this gets it out of my head, so the purpose is accomplished. In case you're wondering…the first chapter in my head had Akira going into a berserker rage and Nyota having to fight her until she was exhausted…It was really bad (gory and icky and violent…not pleasant things to have running around) in my head and didn't make a lot of sense, so I distilled it and forced sense on it…as is a needed thing in fiction…and here is the result. Will there be more? I honestly don't know…Depends on how twisted my mind gets.

I'd like to thank my reviewers, Tuatha, Kuramafangirl11, sakurasango, What2callmyself, ShadowJaganshi…you all are wonderful to let me know what you think. I welcome comments that you liked it or that you didn't, but I'd like to know why either way. I'm surprised this line hasn't been taken before…but, I'm glad it's not been "run to the ground" and thank you for cookies, sakurasango…Tuatha, I hope the swirly eyes don't reoccur, though I know this is kinda a fast paced, detail oriented story…I hope I did put enough in to keep it clear. Shadow, I know it's hard to comment on this story, but I appreciate you reading it :D Anyway, I hope you enjoyed…