Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Barriers ❯ A Test ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: I was recently informed by a coterie of lawyers that I do not, in fact, own YuYu Hakusho. Darn.
Also, this chapter goes to Beth, whose commentary on my drafts always makes me smile.
 
************************************************************** ************************
 
 
Well, this is just great, Yusuke thought dryly. He took a step back, slowing his breathing to recover form the rather intense exchange he had shared with the scythe-wielding woman. She was way too fast for someone swinging around a weapon that large, and it was beginning to piss him off. Kuwabara and Shiki were dealing with the big guy, and Hiei and Kurama were trying to stave off the leader, since they were best able to deal with that weird web thing he did.
 
Summoning a combination of his demon and spirit energies to his fist, Yusuke launched a massive Spirit Gun blast at the woman, who merely moved aside without seeming to expend much effort. Seriously. This is just getting annoying.
 
Izumi fought without saying much; his initial attempts at the banter he so enjoyed were met with cold silence. She might as well have been a sponge, just sucking away any and all enthusiasm he had for the fight, turning it into a grim, robotic dance and nothing more. It was beginning to wear on him mentally as well as her attacks were managing physically.
 
Unfortunately, it didn't seem like the others were much better off. The Spirit Detective was fairly aware of the other fights taking place, enough to know that Kuwabara was sporting several deep cuts from some odd wind-based attack Hiroto had used. Shiki seemed to be faring a little better, mostly because she hadn't rushed recklessly into it. Hiei was looking rather confused; it seemed Kaito was generating some barrier that forestalled direct attack altogether. Judging from the oddly sluggish way in which the fire apparition was moving, it also had some negative effects on the attacker. Kurama was unscathed, though breathing with some difficulty like the rest.
 
Yusuke was woken from his reverie by a disturbance in the air, followed almost directly by a large blade. Jumping back, he reminded himself to leave the thinking to people who actually bothered with strategy and charged headlong towards Izumi. Time to finish this.
 
He realized too late that her blank face had registered the tiniest of smiles.
 
********
 
Shiki watched with horror as Yusuke went flying backwards, crashing into a nearby tree. She wasn't quite certain what the woman had done, but it looked like the high-schooler was down for the count.
 
She pursed her lips as Kuwabara leapt forward. He fought in such a way that it was really hard for her to offer him any aid, except to step forward to relieve him when he seemed about to be beaten back. Thus, they were only able to fight their opponent one at a time, which was no real good for their chances, unless they could wear him down. Unfortunately, they seemed to be wearing down faster than he.
 
She made a quick decision. “Kuwabara, go help Yusuke. I'll hold him here for as long as I can.”
 
Kuwabara looked like he was about ready to protest. She gave him her best imitation of her father's glare, though, and he nodded. She turned to face her opponent, who snickered audibly.
 
“I hope your friend won't need any more than the few seconds it's gonna take for me to pay you back for what happened at the temple.” He grinned savagely. “I gotta say, I don't really like surprises, and that was a doozy of a surprise, girlie.”
 
Shiki just swallowed, and tried to steady her shaking hands by gripping her staff firmly.
 
******
 
Kaito sneered at the diminutive swordsman. This was a waste of time. But still, he supposed he'd have to play it out until the end. By making himself the most obvious target, he'd drawn away two of the strongest at once, leaving the mongrel to Izumi and effectively isolating the two weakest. The dull one had lasted longer than he'd expected, actually. Not that it really mattered. The plan would work correctly either way.
 
He stood behind his perfect defense, launching attacks just frequently enough to keep his opponents from trying to help anyone else, and watched with amusement as all the little puppets danced to his tune. The girl was having problems now. Defensive as she was, she had managed to hold Hiroto for longer than the Kaito's lieutenant had predicted. Still, she was wearing down, and it was obvious.
 
Kaito observed Hiroto smirking rather sadistically and thought of reminding him of his task, but stopped short of actually saying anything. It wasn't really going to ruin anything if the brute enjoyed himself.
 
Kaito himself had never really understood how one could enjoy battle. He found the whole concept rather… distasteful. An incredibly messy way of going about things. Still, he recognized its necessity.
 
He sent the one called Hiei backwards a few yards before launching an attack at the taller one, who managed to dodge. It seemed he was falling into a pattern. Better change his attacks around a bit then.
 
******
 
Kurama saw the attack coming, but also knew that it was too fast to dodge. He cracked his rose whip sharply, slicing the bits of web before they were close enough to do any real harm. Hiei was back up, and did the same to an identical technique, eyes flashing dangerously.
 
Kurama could understand his frustration. The battle was dragging along at a rather unsatisfyingly slow pace. None of the groups seemed to have enough strength to fell their opponents, and so none were able to reinforce the others. It was a stalemate made more dangerous by the fact that Kurama was certain the three strangers were holding back. But what was their game, exactly?
 
He caught glimpses of the battlefield through the corners of his eyes as he fought. Yusuke was back up after a nasty spill, and he and Kuwabara were both occupied by the woman. Shiki was likely the worst off, and her opponent seemed to be relishing in the damage he was inflicting.
 
It was then Kurama understood. Shiki was their target. Did they perhaps desire to possess the other stone? But if that was the case, why had they not taken it at the same time as the first one, or simply kidnapped her? It would have been simple enough. Perhaps…too simple?
 
He was about to elaborate on the thought when he saw something that chilled his blood. The one who called himself Hiroto had managed to disarm Shiki, sending her staff skidding to the side. He grabbed the front of her gi and forced her up, then hefted her off the ground.
 
As he made ready to strike her, Kurama launched himself forward. It was reckless, too reckless for his comfort, but Shiki might not survive such a direct blow. Hiei seemed to understand what was happening; he moved to block his friend's back from Kaito. Kurama lashed out with his weapon and caught Hiroto across the side of his face, but not before the big man had also realized what was happening and thrown Shiki to the ground, sending a wind attack point-blank at Kurama, who had mere seconds to dodge.
 
Even then, the attack caught him on the arm and threw him far enough off-balance that he crashed to the earth beneath him.
 
******
 
Shiki watched in horror as her senpai went skidding across the floor of the clearing. Before she could react, the large man began slowly advancing on him, looking ready to finish him off.
 
A cry tore from her lips, and she struggled to her feet, limping over to her fallen comrade. She turned him over, and winced at the large gash on his arm, which seemed to be bleeding profusely. This had to end soon, or she knew worse would be to come.
 
If only we were stronger… if only I were. They've been fighting for me all this time, and I'm completely useless!
 
She caught the Hiroto's expression and trembled. He had murder in his eyes, that much was certain. She stood and placed herself between him and Kurama, settling into a hand-to-hand stance since she couldn't seem to locate her staff.
 
He'll kill me… she thought without much emotion. It wasn't that she wanted to die. She didn't in the least. But, she supposed, perhaps if I do this, they'll escape… and that's enough. The realization surprised her, but comforted her as well. So this is what it means to have friends. She smiled slightly, and felt something warm in her chest. Well, then.
 
She shifted her weight to her right leg, and was about to spring forward when a hand clasped her shoulder from behind.
 
“I think it would be better if you did not die today, but if you are absolutely intent on it, I will not stop you.” The voice was cool, smooth. It was Kurama, but… she turned.
 
The hand on her shoulder was clawed, and the creature it belonged to regarded her with guarded golden eyes. His hair and skin were pale enough that she might have believed he were made of moonlight, were that contact not so definite.
 
“Kurama…?” She asked weakly. For surely he was, yet…
 
His eyes narrowed. “Not exactly. But explanations can wait.” With that, he stepped forward to face Hiroto, who looked hesitantly towards Kaito.
 
“Boss, she's done it.” All the bloodlust had disappeared, and he spoke almost in a monotone.
 
The other man nodded, seemingly satisfied. “Then it's time for us to leave.”
 
“Say what?!” Yusuke shouted. “Oh no you don't, you lousy bastard!” He rushed Kaito, but was blocked by Izumi. Kaito muttered something in a language Shiki could not understand, and the three of them vanished.
 
Everyone took a moment to collect themselves, and then they gathered together, all hesitant to be the first to speak. Botan, who had been floating above the scene, had lost her characteristic cheer and looked grave, eyeing Youko warily. The others were in various states of personal injury, most notably Kuwabara, though not even Hiei was spared a few cuts.
 
“So, girl, please do tell me how you managed to release me.” There was an odd glint in his eye, something Shiki could not place, and something she surely did not wish to think about. She swallowed hard.
 
What now?
 
************************************************************** **********
Kiku's Corner!
 
~Whee~
 
Lol, sorry. I'm just glad I finally got a chance to update.
 
So, nobody reviewed this time around, which makes me sad. However, I did get some story alert subscriptions and even a few favorites, which is terribly exciting! Yay, and thank you!
 
Hmm… what else? Nope, I guess that's it. Hope it's leaving you with some questions. Or, if you have it all figured out, you at least like it enough to keep on reading. So, stick with me here. I'm imagining this thing will have like 15-20 chapters total.
 
~Kiku~
 
Oh, P.S.: Does anyone like drawing? Want to draw Shiki? I don't have any money to pay you or anything, but I'd really like to see how other people picture the character, you know? Plus, I'd post up a link in my story so other people could see your awesomeness. Think about it, and email me for more details if you need them! ^.^