Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Chains of time ❯ Memories in the Night ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

I decided to rewrite parts of this, therefore this is a replacement. The original had a few flaws.

This takes place after the Dark Tournament, even though I haven't seen the end of said tournament. Stupid CN!! **kicks TV; TV falls off shelf and lands on Phoenix** Eeeyah!! Okay, that ouchies….on to the Fic!! **wiggles out from under TV; smites said appliance with the Squeaky Mallet of Doom**

I don't own YYH…wish I did…Yoshihiro Togashi has that honor…any other shows or characters mentioned I don't own either….except for my plushies….

~…~ is thoughts

"…" is spoken (Japanese usually)

=…= are random Spanish phrases. Used later…. =^-^;=

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Chapter One: Memories in the Night

~Who are you? What are you…NO!!!~

The scream broke out through the moonlit forest, scattering the Makai birds, who had taken to their nests for the night. Two youko kitsune, a male and female, burst into the clearing, the male slumping to the ground as the female checked the area. She could smell nothing, other than Death. Pushing her silver-white hair back behind her shoulder, she knelt down next to her brother and moved his long and equally silver hair out of the way of the wound.

Kurama shrugged her off, and wiped the blood off on his tunic. "Kaen, get going," the male said, standing up. He wobbled a bit then took a step past the girl. "I'll draw him away."

"Niisan! Don't leave me, please…," the girl whispered, her gold eyes tingling with tears. She knew how bad his injury was; that damned Demon Hunter had shot him with a sort of metal Kaen had never seen. If she had, her brother would not be dying. She extended a hand towards Kurama, trying to help him. "Niisan, please, let me…"

"No, Kaen." The girl shrunk back as the older youko turned to her. "It wouldn't help. You need to get out of here. That Hunter's close." He winced as he sat back down and closed his eyes. Kaen looked around her; she could definitely smell the demon blood on the Hunter and didn't care. Her brother was more important right now.

"Kurama, look at me," Kaen ordered, standing up to her height of 6'4". Kurama couldn't help but smirk at his younger sister trying to intimidate him, but he still knew better that to argue with her when she ordered his to do something. He looked up at her, realizing how much she had grown since she had joined his gang. ~She changed further after Kuronue's death, ~ he reminded himself.

Certain that she had Kurama's attention, Kaen continued, "You're going to die unless that wound is looked after. If you let me cauterize it, we can kill this damned hunter and get you fully healed."

Kurama went silent, but still looked at his sister. Since they had been kits, he would look after her and later taught her how to use her Chain Whip, since it wasn't much different from his Rose Whip. Even the death of their parents and becoming a thief hadn't changed Kaen; she was still a caring girl, although she could get carried away when someone she loved was hurt. "You'll never change, will you, Kachi?" Kurama asked, tugging on Kaen's crimson-red streak of hair that framed the right side of her face.

"Not when it comes to things like this," Kaen joked, faintly relieved Kurama felt strong enough to tease her with her childhood name. The smile faded quickly as Kaen caught a new scent on the air.

Demon blood.

Almost as soon as the scent registered for both youko, Kurama was on his feet, dragging Kaen away from the source of the smell. Pulling her up to him, Kurama locked eye contact, sending his message through both speech and the mental connection they had always had. "Kaen, run! And keep running! Never look back," he growled, the anger at the Hunter dripping in his voice in a way that terrified Kaen: she had never seen Kurama this angry.

Embracing her brother one last time, Kaen fought back tears as she ran as hard as she could from the clearing. She could feel the effects of Kurama calling the plants to block Kaen's escape path from the Hunter. As the scent of demon blood became thicker, Kaen felt as though something threatened to rip her apart, clawing at her soul. Stopping she collapsed to the ground and looked skyward as a silver spirit-fox streaked across the sky.

~Niisan….~ Kaen lowered her head, silver hair sliding forward over her shoulders, her blood red stripe falling across one suddenly tear-streaked eye. Kaen cried silently for a moment, before throwing back her head with a scream mixed with anger and sadness.

"NIISAAAAAN!!!!"

* ~ * ~ *

"NIISAAAAAN!!!!"

Reia jolted from her sleep, nearing hitting her head on the lamp cord hanging above her bed. Her eyes quickly adjusted to the darkness of her basement bedroom. All of her things were here, nothing out of place, yet the echo of the yell continued, until it whispered out of her mind. Reia sharpened all of her senses, listening for anything. The only things she heard were the snoring of someone upstairs and the dog barking outside.

Putting her head on her knees, she forced herself to calm down, and more importantly remember the dream. ~No, not dream. Memory. ~ She shook her head, red hair flying around. Out of some random whim, Reia decided to sleep with her hair down, conveniently forgetting its thickness and hatred of staying brushed.

~Well, something's never change. Why should my hair? ~ She thought as her door opened.

"Reia? Are you alright?" voiced a person Reia knew to be her foster-sister Narisuki, as she flipped the light switch.

"Gaah!! Suki! Lights! Dark!! No….." Reia whimpered as her suddenly night-perfect eyes were shot to hell by the luminous 70-watt light bulb. She rubbed at her eyes, glaring blindly as the small blond still at the top of the stairs. Reia cursed under her breathe, before she could censor herself. "I was okay, until blinded."

"Well, you screamed really loud, and I though someone was attacking you," came the quiet reply.

Reia couldn't hold back her laughter. "If I was being `attacked,' the attacker would be the one screaming, Suki," she responded, emphasizing `attacked'. "Now go back to bed, kiddo. We have school tomorrow."

Narisuki hesitated for a moment, but followed Reia's order and left the room, closing the door behind her.

Kaen watched Narisuki leave, then got up and walked over to her dresser. Her red-hair was messy, with its silver streak perfectly separated. Nothing looked different, except…

"Shit!!" Kaen looked closer at her eyes. Her eyes, normally a jade green color were suddenly gold. "Shit! Shit! Shit!! This cannot be happening!!" She blinked several times, wiped at her eyes, and then looked into the mirror again. ~Green…~ Letting out a sigh, Reia went to lie down again to think about her dream.

What bothered her most about the dream was her eye-color changing afterwards. In the past few months that she would have that dream, her eyes hadn't changed one bit. Maybe her streak got wider, but that was it. Nothing like the partial transformation she just did. ~Maybe this has something to do with all those demons coming here. ~

Reia snorted. As if the small scent of Makai creatures could cause a reaction like that. It would have to be greater, like a higher-level demon or someone she knew transforming…

Rolling onto her back, she reached up to grab one of the many plushies Suki had given her. Finally catching one, she pulled it down, revealing it to be a red fox. Giggling, Reia thought back as to when she was given the little fox. Suki had been teasing her about her "Rogue-stripe" as Suki's father, a major X-Men fan, called it. To make up for it, Suki bought Reia the fox for her birthday, renaming her "Rogue-stripe" to a "fox-stripe." Personally, Reia found it quite appropriate, particularly since she was a fox-demon in hiding. Except then, her hair color was reversed, with a silver mane and blood red stripe. Only one other person had teased her about that stripe.

~Niisan…~ The memory of her brother was painful. Even though it had been almost seventeen years since he died, the memory of that day still hurt. Hugging the fox, plushie close to her, Reia rolled over onto her side.

"Niisan," she whispered, "why did you leave me?"

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

YAY!!! I'm done with the first chapter!! Chapter Two: A little fun in the afternoon!!

A/N (Also known as `Phoenix, what were you thinking?'):

1. First off, if you wondered, Kaen Kachi means `flame victory.' A very cool name if you ask me. I have it painted on a board in my room…with a red flame explosion-thing and Kachi written in kanji.

2. Niisan- (Japanese) elder brother. There are about four ways to say elder brother and maybe two for younger sister. Therefore, Kaen got a nickname. Plus I like the name Kachi!

3. The fox plushie is my subtly used my Shippô-chan in my fic. I had to! I sorry!! **glomps Shippô** My Kitsune!! Mine!!