Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Demon's Kin ❯ Chapter Three ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Demon's Kin
By: calikocat/LemonKitty
Word count: 3,863
 
Disclaimer: All things Buffy are Joss things, all things YuYu are Togashi things. I own neither, and can only lay claim to my thoughts. I'm merely a fan with far out and strange ideas who likes to mess with things and cross worlds over.
 
A/N: This story happens in between `The Puppet Show' and `Nightmares' in season one. Also, I've noticed that throughout the series we're only given the names of two of the twelve cemeteries…so I made up a few. Wilkins' Memorial Cemetery is one of them.
 
XXX
 
The clang of swords rang throughout the library as Watcher and Slayer went back and forth in the open floor space. Giles kept his face straight, so as not to distract his pupil with his, as she called it, teacher face. He had to admit, if only to himself that her training was coming along nicely. As a slayer she had a natural instinct when it came to fighting, with or without weapons. However she tended to prefer a simple stake as her weapon of choice. Which was why they were practicing with swords tonight, she needed to be prepared in case something stake-proof was drawn to the Hellmouth.
 
She was a thing of beauty as she attacked him, but it was cocky and tinged with carelessness. Something that could snuff out her life one day, something that Giles feared more than his own demise. He tried not to sigh in regret as Buffy took a chance and swung her sword at an angle, trying to catch him off guard. He side-stepped her attack and moved into the opening she'd left and caught her with his sword at the back of her neck. Both froze.
 
She blinked in surprise and looked at him from the corner of her eye. “Oops.”
 
“Buffy, in battle your opponent isn't going to give you time to say oops.” Giles sighed and they stepped apart. “We'll continue with swords later.”
 
“Are we done for the night?”
 
“Not hardly. You told your mother that I was going to help you study for Monday's English exam.”
 
“But-“
 
Giles held up a hand. “However, you may go into the commons to procure refreshments for yourself.”
 
She beamed at him. “Yay!” Quickly she put their swords away and skipped towards the Library doors. “Thanks Giles!”
 
He waved in her general direction before heading into his office for a cup of tea. Relaxed and pleasantly tired from his work out with Buffy he was intent on enjoying the quiet before having to suffer through his charge's butchering of his native tongue.
 
As he leaned back in his chair and took a sip of the calming beverage that was his second security blanket a woman in a pink kimono flew through the opposite wall on an oar. His beloved tea went spewing from his lips and the woman dodged the spray easily, giggling at his expense.
 
“Hello Ripper!”
 
Giles sighed and mopped up the tea with his handkerchief. “Must you pop in unexpected like that? If I didn't know better I'd think you were raised in this god-forsaken country; with the lack of mannerisms that you tend to show from time to time.”
 
Botan smiled at him. “You're just upset because I made you spit your tea out. Which while childish is still much fun.”
 
“I rue the day you became top spirit guide with unlimited freedom to travel between the three realms. Now, what in this realm do you think you're doing? You know I have a Slayer now and you very nearly missed her.” Giles tried to glare at her but found it rather hard to do so. It was always hard to stay mad at someone so bubbly happy…no matter how he might try.
 
“Oh please! I'm not as careless as that, I waited till she was gone.”
 
“But she is coming back.”
 
“I know but I was in the neighborhood and needed to see you.” Her amethyst eyes were still twinkling in merriment but now they held a serious undertone. One that made him pause with curiosity, and a bit of caution.
 
“I should have known this wouldn't be a social call, all the more reason you should have used the bloody door.”
 
Botan pouted at him prettily. “Maybe I just wanted to see my favorite Watcher? We haven't had a chat and a nice cup of tea in months, not since before you left England.”
 
Giles tried not to roll his eyes as he reached for another tea cup and poured her some British nectar. “Have a seat then, though I know you better than that. I also know, for all your flirting that you and Mukuro are currently involved and have been for a while.”
 
Reikai's top Ferry Girl blinked at him curiously. “Someday Rupert I will find out who you get your information from. I know I'm not your only contact for the happenings in Reikai and Makai.” She smiled kindly and Giles relaxed, sensing they were getting down to business. He handed her the tea and settled back with his own. She remained perched on her oar as it hovered in the air.
 
“Well? Why are you here?”
 
“It's nice to see you too old friend, I hadn't heard from you in so long that I was beginning to wonder if you'd fallen through a portal into the world without shrimp.”
 
Giles stopped mid sip. “It's nice to see you as well, but we both know that, as I said before, this isn't just a social call…there's a world without shrimp?”
 
“Yep. But you're right that I'm not here just to chat, though we should do that more often. I'm here to represent a friend who is connected to one of the children you look after, or at least I am in the sense that he doesn't know I'm here talking to you. But I'll track him down in a bit and tell him what I've done.”
 
“Meddling are you?”
 
“Not at all Rupert.”
 
“You mentioned children I believe.” The mildly mannered librarian let his voice grow a bit colder, giving it a sharper edge as he narrowed his eyes at the tiny woman, who despite her youthful appearance had been around for several millennia.
 
“Don't make Ripper eyes at me old friend, not unless you want to explain to your Slayer why you're unconscious and on the floor when she returns.” Giles just glared at her, becoming ever more Ripperish by the second. Botan calmly sipped her tea. “I'm here to talk to you about Xander.”
 
“What about him?”
 
“Nothing bad, in fact I only have good news tonight.”
 
“You said you're here representing a friend. What friend?”
 
“Xander's older brother.”
 
“Good Lord. If Xander's brother is a friend of yours…just who is he?”
 
“You don't seem very surprised that the boy has a brother…why is that exactly?” Botan paused in thought.
 
“Oh, that. Buffy had a slayer dream regarding them.” He waved her off, motioning her to get back on topic. “Who is Xander's brother?”
 
“Yusuke Urameshi, one of the three Lords of Makai, and Raizen's heir.”
 
Giles suddenly felt horribly out of his depth as he put his tea down and reached for his glasses to polish them thoroughly. “It's just never simple is it.” He sighed and returned them to his face. “What sort of danger does this put the boy in?”
 
“None whatsoever; in fact once it's known to all in Reikai and Makai that Lord Yusuke has a younger brother Xander will be off limits to all.” Botan smiled as she calmly took another sip of tea.
 
“That is rather good news. But what about the Hellmouth and demons who are not of the Makai? Will it deter them?” Giles reached for his own tea, keeping an ear open for the sound of Buffy's return.
 
“That's why we're keeping the news from the general population here. The demons that stay in this realm are, for the most part, not as strong as Makai demons. And while they may not make a move to hurt the boy, many might not care at all.” Botan smiled a little sadly. “And if some power in this realm decided to eliminate Xander as a possible threat, him also being a descendant of Raizen, well, there's nothing Reikai could do about it.”
 
“What good are you lot then?” Giles muttered darkly.
 
“I said Reikai couldn't do anything Rupert.” She winked at him. “We certainly can't stop certain powerful individuals from stepping in can we? Have to keep the peace between the three Realms.”
 
His interest piqued he put down his now empty tea cup. “What sort of individuals?”
 
“Yusuke for starts.”
 
“Does he even know the boy exists?”
 
“They're having a nice chat now.”
 
“Meaning?”
 
“They're patrolling the older cemeteries of Sunny Dale. Yusuke came to do this you know, not patrol, but to meet his little brother. He's been hearing Xander call out to him for a while now.”
 
“Calling out? How exactly was Xander calling out?”
 
“I believe he was possessed a while back?” Botan held her cup out and Giles absently refilled it.
 
“Yes, a primal hyena of a demonic nature took hold of him for a couple of days or so.”
 
“Well, it kick started some of his demon heritage.” She noticed Gile's eyes start to widen and she hurried to reassure him. “Not enough to make him Mazoku, but enough to call out for blood kin, left over from the hyena thing you understand. He was calling out for pack as it were. Yusuke heard the call in Japan and thought he was going crazy because of the voice in his head.” She snickered.
 
“Is there a chance that he could turn completely?” Giles asked, somewhat worriedly, for he wasn't quite sure how Buffy would react to one of her friends turning into a demon.
 
“Rupert, Yusuke didn't turn until after he'd died a second time.” He looked at her sharply. “And it hasn't even changed his personality. He's still a street smart punk with a pretty girlfriend who can knock him across the room if he does something stupid…wait they're engaged now, make that fiancée, and she's human. So Xander shouldn't change. Right now all he should be able to do is recognize blood kin and things from the Makai. Nothing more than that.”
 
“That's something then. Now about these other individuals-“
 
Botan handed him her teacup and leaned down to place a kiss on his forehead then drew back with a giggle. “Sorry to leave so suddenly Ripper, but your Slayer is here.” She waved at him and flew through the ceiling.
 
“I hate it when she does that.” He muttered just as Buffy walked into the library, arms laden with snacks from the machines in the commons.
 
“You say something Giles?”
 
“I was just bracing myself for the slaughter of my Mother Language.” He called back to her.
 
“Real funny Watcher-man.”
 
xxx
 
Normally on a night like this Wilkins Memorial Cemetery saw little action, it being one of the oldest cemeteries in Sunny Dale. However a few new plots had opened up so Xander had taken it upon himself to patrol the grounds every now and then. He was cautious as always; more so since the hyena possession, which made him a bit more aware of his surroundings.
 
Yusuke watched his younger brother with amusement and some curiosity. Sometimes the kid moved like a predator, sometimes he moved like a clown. It was hard to decide which part was the real Xander, or perhaps they both were and the boy was having trouble meshing himself together. Considering the possession it almost made a sort of sense, in a way that was probably relative on the Hellmouth. Before he was able to comment on it though something moved to their left, a rather fast something as it tackled Xander to the ground. Xander however seemed to be somewhat ready for it and after a bit of rolling around on the ground between statues of mourning marble angels the kid rammed a piece of pointed wood into his opponent's heart. As he lay still to catch his breath Yusuke walked over and nudged him with a sneaker.
 
“Your technique sucks.”
 
Xander glared at him. “See, that's why I brought you along Mr. Super Demon Guy.”
 
“Can I help it if the dead things rather jump you than me?” Yusuke asked grinning.
 
“That sounds so wrong on so many levels.” Xander muttered as he accepted Yusuke's hand and together they got him to his feet again. “Here's an idea, next time a vamp tries to munch on me you can help.”
 
“Help you get eaten? From what I've seen you can do that all by your self.”
 
“Ha ha. Big brother makes a funny, stupid blue chicken riding guy.”
 
An image of Pu flashed in Yusuke's mind. “How do you know about Pu?”
 
Xander snickered, but it soon turned into all out laughter. “You named your big blue chicken Pu?” He was laughing so hard he nearly fell back to the ground and had to lean on a headstone to remain standing.
 
It was Yusuke's turn to glare. “That's what Keiko named him…that's the sound he made when he was little. And you didn't answer my question.”
 
Xander steadied himself and choked down his laughter. “Buffy, she had a dream and the two of you were riding Pu;” snicker “and in the dream you had a picture of me.”
 
“Weird.”
 
“Tell me about it, you were riding Pu.” More semi-quiet snickers continued as they walked further into the cemetery.
 
“You can quit now.”
 
Xander grinned. “But it's just so funny.”
 
“You want to learn a few moves or not?”
 
“I thought I was doing okay.”
 
“For a mid-night snack maybe.”
 
Xander pouted. “No need to get mean.”
 
Yusuke rolled his eyes and dropped an arm around the younger boy's shoulders. “Don't use the puppy eyes again. I just thought I'd show you a couple of moves to go with that weird `I am bait that hunts the night' thing you've got going on.”
 
“I don't hunt, I patrol.”
 
“Whatever, you wanna learn a few moves or not?”
 
“Yes Big Brother.”
 
“Quit that.”
 
“Yes Big Bro-I mean, sure thing Yusuke.” Xander grinned at him again. “So…moves?”
 
They separated and Yusuke put his body into a stance that was similar to what Buffy would do before a fight, but somehow it looked sharper, less open to attack. Xander took in the position carefully, trying to catalog it for future use as he watched Yusuke throw a few punches and kicks.
 
So intent in his watching that he almost missed the vampire coming up behind him. But he heard the crunch of a broken twig in time to move, and had just moved to the side when a flash of blue light hit the vampire and disintegrated the fledge.
 
Xander looked at the pile of dust before turning back to Yusuke. “You've so got to teach me that.”
 
Yusuke looked sheepish. “I uh…I'm not really sure how it works. I just do it, ya know?”
 
“Aww. That sucks.”
 
“So, you wanna try what I just showed ya?”
 
They worked on Xander's stance for a bit and to Yusuke's surprise the kid did okay, for someone with absolutely no training in any way. Xander threw another punch and Yusuke blocked it easily. He really didn't feel cut out for this teaching thing. So he did the brotherly thing and backed off with a question to distract Xander.
 
“You gonna introduce me to your friends?”
 
“Uh, what part of Buffy might try to slay you did you not get?” Xander got the hint and started walking again, Yusuke followed.
 
“You have other friends.”
 
“Just Willow now.”
 
“Sorry, I heard about Jessie.”
 
Xander stopped and his eyes grew hard and Yusuke nearly shivered under the gaze. If he were a normal person he'd be shaking in his sneakers. “How do you know about Jessie?”
 
“Well…Botan told me about him.”
 
“Botan is?”
 
Yusuke grinned and it was slightly crazy looking. “Behind you.”
 
“What?!” Xander whirled, slightly panicked that something had managed to sneak up on him, and a little pissed that Yusuke mentioned it so casually. However when he saw the flash of pink he relaxed, the color was familiar, and now for the first time he saw the comforting presence that he sometimes felt around him. He tilted his head to the side and looked at her carefully and curiously. “I know you…kind of?”
 
Botan smiled down at them from where she sat on her oar in mid air. “You could say that. But it's good to finally introduce myself. I'm Botan, the top Spirit Guide of Reikai.”
 
“Spirit Guide?” Xander glanced back at Yusuke, trying to keep Botan in sight at the same time.
 
“Grim Reaper.” Was the older boy's reply.
 
“Huh.” He focused on the pretty girl. “So this is what death looks like…and people are afraid to die, why?”
 
Botan giggled and floated low enough to slide off her oar and make it vanish. “You could learn something in manners from him Yusuke. Keiko might like the improvement.”
 
“Right, I don't think so.” Yusuke glared at her. “Time to go already?”
 
“Only if you want to Yusuke; I just wanted you two to know that Rupert knows.” She smiled mischievously at them.
 
“Who?” Yusuke asked.
 
“You know Giles?” Xander's eyes nearly bugged. “Ah, the British Guy is keeping secrets from us! He's met death and survived!”
 
“Who?” Yusuke repeated somewhat annoyed.
 
“Buffy's Watcher.” Botan continued to smile at them. “Rupert and I go back.”
 
Xander shook his head and shuddered slightly. “I need to stop my brain now…it's trying bring up icky images.” He grumbled before what he'd heard made some sort of sense. “Wait…you told Giles about Yusuke and the demon thing? Oh man, is he gonna sic Buffy on us?” He started to flash his puppy eyes on her but Yusuke managed to cover them.
 
“Relax kid.”
 
“Not a kid, teenager here!” Xander complained from behind Yusuke's hand.
 
“Botan was I this annoying when we met?”
 
“Oh you were much worse.” She giggled at Yusuke's sour expression. “No worries Xander, Rupert was very understanding about everything, after I assured him that you'd be in no additional danger.”
 
Xander moved Yusuke's hand away from his eyes and looked at her, the edges of panic plain on his face. “Danger?”
 
“Nothing more than what you face here on the Hellmouth. Being Yusuke's brother protects you from anything Makai or Reikai related.” She smiled kindly. “Actually if you throw Raizen's name into the mix Makai demons will go out of their way to avoid you, even though he passed away nearly three years ago.”
 
“Wow…”
 
Yusuke nodded. “The old man could scare the pants off of most people if he wanted too.”
 
“He could.” Botan agreed. “I'm heading back now Yusuke, but I can come get you in a couple of days if you want to stay?”
 
“That's fine, just tell Keiko. I don't want her to bash my head in for being gone without a good reason.” He looked at Xander's odd expression; it almost looked like dawning horror. “What?”
 
“Your fiancée is that scary?”
 
“She can be.”
 
Xander shook his head in mock sorrow. “I can definitely see it now, we are so related.” At Yusuke's baffled expression he continued. “We're both attracted to females that are scary and violent.”
 
Yusuke rolled his eyes and lightly smacked the back of Xander's head. “Shut up.”
 
Xander laughed and stuck his tongue out, barely dodging the next soft blow. Botan shook her head and waved before flying off, leaving the brothers behind her.
 
xxx
 
Yusuke smiled in amusement as his little brother rambled on and on about his friends, and the man he looked up to instead of their dad. The kid could go on for hours if he went unchecked, and Yusuke wondered how Xander had turned out so well. It was obvious that neither Jessica nor Xander were overly fond of Tony, and he considered more than once taking them back to Japan with him. At least he had before he'd heard the kid talk about his friends. Here was this goofy kid that lived on top of the mouth of hell and acted like he couldn't imagine living anywhere else. Sunny Dale was Xander's home and Yusuke figured he might offer them a way out but he didn't expect either of them to take it.
 
“Yo, you with me?” Xander asked, snapping Yusuke out of his thoughts.
 
“Sure kid.”
 
“Not a-“ Xander yawned mid-sentence “kid.”
 
“Right, get some sleep Xander, if Keiko ever found out I was keeping you up on a school night she'd smack me across the room.” At Xander's expression he laughed. “Out of all the demons and crazy people I've gone up against, Keiko on a rampage is the scariest thing of all.”
 
“Right, so I shouldn't mention this part of our conversation in her presence…ever.” Xander grinned.
 
“That would be the smart thing to do.”
 
They talked some more, or rather Xander talked for a few more minutes until he'd fallen asleep. And Yusuke, as carefully and quietly as he could moved from the air mattress and sleeping bag they'd set up for him and pulled the cover's up to Xander's chin and ruffled the boy's hair slightly.
 
“Night kid.” Xander snuggled deeper into the covers and sighed in his sleep. Yusuke stared at his little brother for a moment longer before moving back to the air mattress, he settled down and brought his communicator into view and opened it up. He pushed a button and few seconds later Botan appeared on the small screen.
 
“Yusuke, can this wait? I just got back to Mukuro's castle.” Her small image sent him a hopeful glance and batted her lashes at him.
 
“No it can't. I need to know what you told that Giles guy.”
 
She sighed. “You don't have to worry about it; Rupert is an old friend, one I trust.” Yusuke glared at her. “Fine. I told him who Xander's brother was. Everyone who knows their way around demons and the supernatural knows who you are Yusuke. You're like that Wizard kid in that famous book series.” Yusuke glared daggers at her through the communicator. “And I told Giles that because of his hyena possession Xander can sense blood kin and other beings from the Makai. And that Xander is in no more danger than he already is living on the Hellmouth.”
 
“Geeze Botan, way to keep secrets.” Yusuke grumbled.
 
“Look, go with Xander tomorrow, walk him to school or something and introduce yourself to Rupert. Honestly Yusuke what do you think the spare communicators were for?”
 
Yusuke rolled his eyes. “Just give me a heads up before you do something like that again, and don't compare me to angst-filled fictional kids.”
 
She stuck her tongue out at him. “Fine, can I go now?”
 
“You just want to get back to Mukuro's bed.” Yusuke grinned at her image.
 
“Well of course, wouldn't you?” She smirked at him and it looked vaguely out of her place on her normally innocent face.
 
Yusuke shook his head and closed the communicator. “You think after walking in on Kuwabara and Hiei I'd learn my lesson, but no, I have to tease Botan about Mukuro.” He grumbled at himself a bit more before settling on the air mattress for the remainder of the night.
 
Over on the bed Xander, feigning sleep, smiled as a feeling of warmth and contentment that he hadn't felt in a long time stole over him.
 
XXX