Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Demon's Kin ❯ Chapter Four ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Demon's Kin
By: calikocat/LemonKitty
Word count: 5,022
 
Disclaimer: All things Buffy are Joss things, all things YuYu are Togashi things. I own neither, and can only lay claim to my ideas. I'm merely a fan with far out and strange ideas who likes to mess with things and cross worlds over.
 
A/N: <i>College owns me and I'm a tard for taking two Lit courses and a History course in one Semester. </i>
 
XXX
 
“So what are you gonna do while I'm in school? Hey I have an idea; I could skip school and show you all the places the demons hang out around town.” Xander flashed hopeful eyes at Yusuke who looked away just in time.
 
He gave a small groan. “I told you to quit with the puppy eyes Xander, and by the way, that's a bad idea. If Keiko ever found out she'd throw me through a window; a closed window.”
 
Xander pouted but kept walking beside Yusuke. “You sure?”
 
“Yes I'm sure. I don't like flying through closed windows.” Yusuke smirked at his brother. “I'll probably wander around a bit, check out small town life.”
 
“Yeah, boring adult stuff thy name is Yusuke.” Yusuke elbowed him. “Oww! Remember, I'm still a fragile human here.”
 
“I remember, and I didn't even hit you hard.” He smiled at Xander's scowl.
 
His scowl melted away and left a look of resignation behind. “We'd better split up soon, don't want Buffy to see you and go into manic slayer mode. It would suck to suddenly be an only child again, I was just getting used to the idea of an older brother. Someone who would take me to ball games, play catch…someone to beat up the bullies who took my lunch money back in fifth grade.”
 
“Brat.”
 
“Yeah, but I'm the cute one.” Xander batted his lashes and narrowly avoided getting smacked in the back of the head. He stuck his tongue out at Yusuke and dashed away. “See ya after school bro!”
 
Yusuke laughed and waved until Xander disappeared into the throng of students headed into the school. He stopped for a moment and closed his eyes, trying to get a feel for the hell mouth. His abilities in that department sucked as always, but he could feel the pull. It was a lazy thing, almost as if it was a living consciousness that wasn't really awake or aware of its surroundings. It almost had a nasty feeling of oil clinging to the skin. Yusuke shook himself and proceeded to the edge of the school grounds. The crowd had lessened considerably, so he decided to take a chance and venture inside.
 
Inside, kids were disappearing into classrooms on either side of the hall. It made him flash back for a moment to junior high, not that the kids here wore uniforms like he had, but the bustle was somewhat familiar.
 
He felt eyes on him and turned to see a tall brunette walking past him as she gave him a good look. She was pretty and he nodded at her, acknowledging her before he moved on. Pretty she might be, but he was taken, and he didn't feel like dying a third time. Yusuke continued to wander, hoping to come across the library when he nearly ran over a short balding man.
 
“Shouldn't you be in class?” The man glared up at Yusuke, no fear present in his features, his beady eyes showed only contempt.
 
“Nah, I'm not a student.”
 
“Then what are you doing in my school?”
 
“Your school?”
 
“I'm Principal Snyder.” The idiot had nothing in the way of survival instincts.
 
Yusuke smirked. “Good for you Shorty. So, where can I find the Library? I'm looking for Giles.”
 
“The Librarian, I should have known. He keeps the strangest company.” Snyder sneered. “You can't see him. If he wants to entertain guests he can do so outside my school, not inside.”
 
Yusuke fixed his gaze on the small man. “Listen troll, I'm here to see Giles.” He pointed a finger at the principal and let a little bit of blue energy collect into a ball at the tip. “Now tell me, which way to the library?”
 
Snyder made a choking noise and pointed the way Yusuke had been walking. “Go straight then turn left. Library is a few doors down on the right.” He trembled as Yusuke pointed his finger up and let the energy dissipate.
 
“Thanks.” He started to walk past Snyder when he had a thought. “So tell me Snyder, you this harsh on the kids here?”
 
“Y-yes. Children are evil little menaces that need strict guidance.”
 
“Thought you'd say something like that, just your luck that my little brother is a student here huh?” Yusuke walked away, leaving a stricken Snyder behind him, the little man looked very pale and unhealthy, and almost as if he was in pain.
 
He found the library easily enough and pushed one of the swinging doors aside, hoping that the slayer was in class and not visiting her watcher. It seemed luck was on his side because the only living soul he saw was a man that looked to be in his late thirties, or possibly early forties. He was dressed very properly in a stiff looking suit and was going through some very, very old books that looked like they were bound in ancient leather…or some other material that Yusuke didn't want to look too closely at.
 
“Rupert Giles?”
 
The man jumped, startled, and looked up only to drop the book he was holding. Luckily it fell to the table and not the floor. “Good Lord…y-you must be Yusuke, Xander's older brother!”
 
He shot a smile at the older man. “Is it that obvious?”
 
“Well you do look somewhat alike.”
 
“I'll take that as a compliment, since just a while ago Xander claimed to be the cute one.”
 
“He does tend to be quite the joker.” Giles gave a small smile. “Would you like a cup of tea? Classes should be in full swing now; we would have some time for a chat. That is unless Principal Snyder decides to check up on me, the insufferable twit.”
 
“Nah, the troll knows I'm in here. I don't think he'll come anywhere near the library for at least the rest of the day.”
 
Giles smirked a little. “Made a lasting impression on our principal have you?”
 
“Yeah, the kind that left him shaking in his shoes as I walked away.”
 
Giles' smirk turned to a full grin. “Come on then, tea time.” Giles went into his office and Yusuke followed. In no time Giles had two cups of steaming tea ready, one for each of them. “Here you go.”
 
“Thanks.” Yusuke blew on his tea. “Listen, I'll give you some credit that you're a decent guy. Botan seems to think pretty highly of you.” He took a sip.
 
“I suppose I should thank you. You come highly recommended by the same source.”
 
“Yeah well, what does Botan know? She's dating Mukuro.”
 
“Quite.” Yusuke reached into his pocket and brought a small device that reminded Giles of a make-up mirror. He was more than little surprised when Yusuke handed it to him. “And this is?”
 
“It's a communicator. Unfortunately they still look like a girl's compact. I've complained to Koenma but it can't be helped, this is what we're stuck with, for now anyway.”
 
“And what exactly do I do with it?”
 
“You can use it to contact Botan. I'll give Xander one later.” Yusuke reached for his tea and took another sip.
 
“I take it it's for emergencies only?”
 
“Koenma would prefer it that way.”
 
“But?”
 
“But it will be the main source of communication between me and Xander. That way no one runs up a phone tab that's higher than this country's national debt.” Yusuke smirked.
 
“Alright…but we can call on you if we see a need to?” Giles asked.
 
“Yeah, if the need is great enough give us a call; heck, just call Botan and she'll get in touch with whoever you need.”
 
“Thank you.”
 
“Only the best for my brother.”
 
Giles smirked. “Of course. Now tell me, how exactly did you meet Botan?”
 
“You said we had a while?”
 
“More than an hour.”
 
“Well, it all started the first time I died…”
 
xxx
 
Yusuke left the library feeling confident that he had gained a good friend and ally in Giles, something he just might need should Buffy discover him and try to `slay' him. He wasn't overly worried about a teenage girl with mystic powers. From the state of the `demons' in Sunny Dale, he was pretty sure he could eradicate any and all threats without even trying. Then again he didn't want to alienate his brother from his friend, and apparent crush. Giles had mentioned that he might have a way to fool Buffy's senses, and that he was already looking into it.
 
So now he was stuck wandering around town, hoping to find something to distract him until Xander was out of school. Wandering around Sunny Dale, while somewhat interesting, wasn't a big deal; in fact the visual perfection of the town was starting to get to him. Neighborhood after Neighborhood of picture book houses, the kind you saw in American Magazines. There should be a law against that many white picket fences. They looked so innocent, gleaming white in the sun, yet at the same time looking at the fences gave him the creeps. Luckily Xander lived in a not so cheery neighbor hood, where the fences had been torn down and replaced with half dead shrubbery.
 
On second thought maybe he could get Kurama over there sometime to do a little gardening. At the very least Jessica would appreciate it.
 
On his wanderings he noticed another creepy factor, something he hadn't noticed the night before when he and Xander were patrolling. Sunny Dale had twelve cemeteries. That fact made him especially uneasy, no matter what Botan and Giles said it made him worry about Xander. He didn't want to become an only child again. He wondered if Xander ever noticed the number of cemeteries.
 
He'd become bored just meandering around town, and had been regretting Xander's offer to skip and keep him company…at least until he thought of what Keiko would do to him if she found out.
 
As thoughts of Keiko crossed his mind he stopped short in front of a shop with large glass windows. On the other side of those windows was a painting and it made him want to kick himself. It reminded him that he still hadn't gotten a present for her. He grimaced at the painting and his own reflection in the window; he'd promised Keiko that he would get her something to decorate the apartment they had picked out. It was to be his present to her before their wedding.
 
The painting looked like something she'd like, but it took up nearly the whole window and would make their future home look cluttered, something his fiancée had warned him against.
 
He fought an inner battle, wondering if there was something similar, but on a much smaller scale inside the shop. His eyes wandered up to the sign above which simply proclaimed `The Gallery' in bold red letters that seemed to sparkle in the sunlight. With a sigh he reached for the door and gave it a push before stepping inside.
 
While dimmer than the day outside the cooler area of the gallery was well lit and it was filled with more than just paintings. There were sculptures, displays on tables, and what looked like an odd…well he wasn't sure what it was, but it was odd. When it moved he nearly shot it, and the thing froze. He noticed it was wearing a long coat, despite the warmth of the day outside, and a large hat pulled low over its face. The grey skin was a dead give away that he (it?) wasn't human. It opened its mouth to speak.
 
“Uh hi…never seen you around here before.”
 
Yusuke nodded at him/it. “I'm visiting family.”
 
“That's nice.”
 
“…what are you?”
 
The other blinked at him strangely. “I'm a demon.”
 
Yusuke returned the strange look. “And you're out in broad daylight because?”
 
“I come to the gallery once a week. The woman who runs it is nice, and I like to look at the paintings.”
 
Again Yusuke blinked. “And she doesn't scream and throw things at you?”
 
“Nah, most humans in this town see only want they want to see. She sees me as an odd but nice enough guy with a skin condition.” At Yusuke's disbelief he continued. “Hey I'm harmless compared to most demons in this town. Just trying to have a life ya know.”
 
“Right.”
 
“Really!”
 
Yusuke looked at him thoughtfully. “You eat humans? You don't smell like you do, and believe me I've met demons who eat humans; I know what they smell like.”
 
“Me? Nah, humans are too big. I stick to burgers, cheesy puffs, and the occasional stray cat.”
 
“Gross.”
 
“Can't change who I am…so uh…what are you? You're not exactly a human yourself. And could you maybe not point your finger at me…the glow thing is kind of creepy.”
 
“Sorry, just didn't expect to see something not human in broad daylight.” He looked at the demon closely. “You're not the same kind of demon as me. My kind is from Makai.”
 
The demon seemed to grow even paler. “No, no. I'm definitely not from there. I've never lived anywhere but Sunny Dale.”
 
“Geez calm down, it's not like I'm gonna waste ya. I told you I'm here visiting family.” Realizing what that meant the demon started to shake. “Look, you don't hurt humans I've got no problem with you. Heck a few acquaintances of mine eat humans. Everyone's gotta eat, just don't be cruel about it. And don't mess with anyone under my protection.” That seemed to calm him down some. “You gotta name?”
 
“Clem.”
 
“Well Clem, I'm Yusuke.” He nodded at Clem. “So I was wondering if there was a place to get a drink and a little information in this town; a bar for non-human customers.” Clem nodded. “Well?”
 
“Willy's; just ya know, don't tell anyone I told you about it.”
 
“Sure.”
 
“Okay…well, I'll just—“ Clem motioned at the door behind Yusuke who stepped away from the exit. He was almost out the door when Yusuke caught him arm.
 
“One more thing Clem.”
 
Clem gulped and it seemed to echo. “Yeah?”
 
“Don't tell anyone you ran into me.”
 
“Sure thing!” He said it brightly, nervous and eager to please. “Anything else?”
 
Yusuke reached into his pocket and withdrew a card. “You ever hear of one of the Slayer's crew in deep trouble take this card to a new grave and put a drop of your blood on it and wait for one of my associates to show up. Someone from Reikai will deliver whatever message you have.” He handed the card to Clem who took it with a shaky hand, his skin swayed with the movement.
 
“W-why does a Makai demon care about the slayer's friends?”
 
Yusuke smirked. “I told you, I'm here on the hell mouth visiting family.”
 
Clem's eyes widened. “No way!”
 
Yusuke put a finger to his lips and Clem nodded and started to leave again. “And Clem.” Clem tensed. “Don't go to Willy's for the next few days.”
 
“No problem.” And with that he practically ran out the door.
 
Yusuke snickered to himself and wandered further into the gallery. His good mood vanished as he saw nothing but more large paintings, things he'd never fit onto the walls of their relatively small place.
 
“Clem, are you still here?” A woman had emerged from an adjoining room which Yusuke assumed housed an office.
 
“Ah…he just left.”
 
She glanced at him and blinked. “Oh…well that's a shame. I just finished unpacking some photographs taken in Antarctica. He seems to really like frozen landscapes.” She approached him and held out her hand. “I'm Joyce Summers, and this, is my gallery.”
 
Yusuke took her hand and made a little bow over it and she smiled. And Kurama thought he couldn't be courtly. “Yusuke Urameshi.”
 
“That's an interesting name, Japanese?”
 
He blinked at her. “Yes actually…well half anyway, my uh…dead beat of a dad is an American. So of course I use my Mom's family name.” He smiled at her look of understanding.
 
“So, can I help you with anything? You looked sort of disgusted just a moment ago.”
 
“Ah yeah, just trying to find a wedding gift for my fiancée…something that won't take up an entire wall of the apartment she has her heart set on.”
 
“Anything in particular?”
 
“The painting in the window is something she would like…but I'm not even sure we'd get in the door.” He didn't mention that he could probably get it through the doorway on the small balcony, but that would take too much explaining, and as Xander would say, not of the good kind.
 
“That artist is fairly popular, but originals are always expensive. Here follow me.” She led him even further back to a smaller display of paintings.
 
“These by the same guy?”
 
“A student of his actually, and these are all prints so they're more likely to be in your price range.” He raised an eyebrow at her. “Young couples usually tend to watch their budget carefully.”
 
“I'd agree except that I came into an inheritance a few years ago…we aren't hurting financially if you get what I mean.”
 
“Alright, I have some originals by this artist in my office, but I need to warn you that only a few have been priced.”
 
“That's fine.”
 
Again she led him and he wondered briefly if somehow Keiko had managed to train him in obedience when he wasn't looking because normally he didn't follow anyone around.
 
In the office his eyes were drawn to a medium sized painting on a table, it was of an old castle somewhere in Europe. “That one.”
 
Joyce blinked. “That was fast.”
 
“I…it just…” Again she smiled kindly at him.
 
“Sometimes it just works out like that. But it's one that I haven't priced yet, have a seat and we'll look at the artist's notes and decided on a fair sum.”
 
He nodded, and smiled sheepishly as he took one of the chairs in front of her desk. Again he felt his eyes dawn to a picture, a photograph this time, on the desk. It was of Xander and two girls, one blond, one red haired.
 
Joyce sat down behind her desk and noticed him looking intently at the photograph. She picked it up and glanced at the picture of Buffy and her friends.
 
“Mrs. Summers, why do you have a picture of my brother on your desk?”
 
She jerked, startled beyond her years and glanced at the picture of Xander and back up at Yusuke, flashing back to her surprise when she'd first laid eyes on him in the main room.
 
“I wondered why you looked so familiar, that explains a lot.” He just looked at her. “Oh, Xander is friends with my daughter, Buffy.” She pointed at the blond in the photo. “He and Willow are the first friends she's made here, and they've been good for her. And Xander is such a sweetheart.”
 
“Yeah, he's a good kid.”
 
“You know I've never heard him mention an older brother.”
 
“We only just met last night. I'd never met the jerk who left my mom pregnant at sixteen, but well, a friend of mine did a little research and tracked him down. And suddenly I found out I had a little brother.” He blinked. “God, that sounds like the plot of a daytime drama.”
 
Joyce smiled. “Sounds like you might have found a happy ending though. And I'm glad Xander has a brother to look out for him now.” Her smile dimmed a little. “I got the impression that his home life isn't ideal, mostly because of all the times he comes over for dinner, Willow too.” Her face brightened again and Yusuke felt the urge to run, it was the kind of look Botan sometimes got when she had a `wonderful idea'. “Why don't you and Xander come to dinner tonight?”
 
“That's nice of you but—“ And all of a sudden he realized that perhaps the strength of the slayer wasn't just mystical, or perhaps all women had that steely resolve when they wanted something. The look Joyce Summers was giving him left no room for arguing, much less weaseling out of an invitation to dinner. “What time?”
 
She smiled at him and her eyes twinkled in victory. “Seven thirty?” It wasn't really a question.
 
“We'll be there.”
 
“Good, now this painting is part of a series—“
 
xxx
 
“Blast, I know it's in here somewhere.”
 
The scene Xander walked in on was amusing. Giles was elbow deep in a box of what looked to be ancient artifacts. There was a light cloud of dust floating about the Watcher as he searched for something that eluded him by hiding among the old stuff.
 
“Giles! My favorite Librarian!” Xander exclaimed by way of greeting.
 
Giles looked up from his search. “I have no doubt that I am the only librarian that you know.”
 
Xander grinned at him. “Which is why you're my favorite…so what'cha doin'?” The grin faded and the boy started to fidget, not quite meeting the older man's eyes. Giles smiled gently and took pity on him.
 
“I understand that you not only met your brother, but Botan as well, you seem to be handling it fine. I half expected you to be babbling at this point.”
 
“Yeah well, I babbled last night…which amazingly didn't scare off Yusuke.” He still didn't meet the Watcher's gaze.
 
“Xander.” Brown eyes flicked up to meet his own. “What's bothering you?”
 
“I've been thinking.”
 
“Good Lord.”
 
“Hey! Just because I'm a normal guy who gets in the way doesn't mean I don't think.”
 
“Xander, you don't get in the way. In fact if I remember correctly you saved me from a guillotine recently. You are a remarkable young man with a fierce sense of loyalty.”
 
Xander blushed and gave him a shy smile and a nod. “Thanks.”
 
“Quite. Now what is bothering you? Yusuke stopped by this morning and we had a nice chat. He seems to be a likable enough fellow who wants to do right by you...” Unlike your father was left unsaid, but Xander nodded in agreement.
 
“Yeah, it's pretty easy to trust Yusuke, like it's a natural instinct or something. But…well he's my brother, and that still sounds weird coming out of my mouth, but Giles I want him to meet my friends. And Buffy's the slayer, if I can tell Yusuke isn't human she'll know and she might try to slay him…which would be bad `cause Yusuke can shoot energy out of his finger like a gun. He incinerated a vamp from five or six feet away…see there's the babble we were missing.”
 
Giles smiled at him. “I agree, for all those involved it would be bad for Buffy to discover Yusuke's—state of being.”
 
“Ya think?”
 
“However I may have a solution, if I can find the blasted thing in all this rot.” He motioned to the box he'd been going through.
 
“And here I thought something apocalypse-y was happening.” He peered into the box. “Hey what's this?” He picked up a silver pendant on a chain and held it up for Giles to see.
 
The pendant was old, at least five hundred years if a day. It was of the sun and the moon being held in the embrace of two disembodied arms.
 
“That is the Crest of Hidden Wonders.” Giles polished his glasses, hoping to remove the dust that had collected on the lenses, and hoping that was the only reason he hadn't seen it. “It's the piece I was looking for actually. After Buffy left to patrol last night I did a little research, and this pendant should be able to hide Yusuke's demon status from Buffy's Slayer senses.” That Xander had just picked it up astounded him…perhaps there was a reason the boy was simply able to find it without any effort.
 
“Cool…so no Slayage in the case of my newfound bro? Thanks a heap Giles.”
 
“You're quite welcome.”
 
“So… ya got anything in that box of goodies that'll help me pass my history test?”
 
Giles rolled his eyes. “I'm a Watcher, not a miracle worker.”
 
“Hey!”
 
xxx
 
The inside of Willy's was what he'd come to expect of small places with scum clientele. The front room was long with booths against one wall, there were a couple of tables by the door, and a row of stools at the bar itself. It could have been homey with a fresh coat of paint, better lighting and a few less demons. Speaking of which, his presence had been noticed, every eye in the place was on him. One demon sneered at him and started to get up, he was a big hulking creature and probably thought Yusuke would be a push over. He let the demon get half way to him when he bared his teeth in a fierce smile, showing his fangs. Being full demon had its perks. Seeing his sharp pearly whites, the big guy froze, nodded in acknowledgement and kept going, leaving before things got messy. He's smarter than he looks; Yusuke thought and smirked to himself as he made his way to an empty stool.
 
He sighed and looked at the rat faced bartender. “Sake?” Yusuke tried not to wince at the hopeful tone in his voice.
 
“Sorry Kid, don't serve it. Besides, you look a little too young to be in here…” Yusuke flashed his teeth again. “But I do have some good stuff if you're interested.”
 
Yusuke grimaced. “Just gimme a beer.” The little man nodded and retrieved a cold bottle from a cooler under the counter. Yusuke looked at the label surprised. “Do I look Chinese?”
 
The barkeep shrugged. “You guys all look alike to me.” Yusuke snorted and popped the top off the imported Chinese beer. He took a swig and decided it wasn't that bad…but sake was better. “So uh…how come I ain't seen you in here before---you gotta name kid?”
 
“Yusuke; and I'm just in town visiting.”
 
“Oh yeah? Who?”
 
Yusuke gave him an evil grin. “Here's how things are gonna work, Willy right?” Willy nodded. “I'm gonna ask a question and you're gonna answer it. I get all the answers I want, and then maybe I'll give you some information.” Willy started to shake his head until Yusuke slipped a large numbered bill on the counter. Willy's demeanor changed instantly as he slipped the hundred into his pocket.
 
“What'dya wanna know my friend?”
 
“The bad ass demon who runs this town, he's called the Master right?” Willy nodded. “He an equal opportunist or is he focused on the Slayer and her gang?”
 
Willy looked thoughtful. “Well, he don't like the Slayer, but I don't think he knows her sidekicks exist. Lucky kids.”
 
“And the rest?”
 
“Anyone caught after sundown is fair game.”
 
Yusuke pondered this for a moment as he sipped his beer. “Think that will last with the way they keep throwing themselves into the thick of things?”
 
“Who knows? I don't know how the Master thinks, and I'm better off that way. And so are you my friend.”
 
Yusuke smirked. “Anybody else lookin' to put the bite on those kids?”
 
“You plannin' somethin'?”
 
“Answer the question.”
 
“I ain't heard nothin'! `Course now everyone here might try to take a crack at them.”
 
He turned on the stool, putting his back to Willy. “Well?”
 
A vampire sneered at him. “There something special about those two?”
 
Yusuke brought his hand up and pointed at the vamp. A small blue light appeared at his finger tip before shooting out a beam at the animated corpse; the vampire was dust before he could move an inch. The entire room was silent, no one moved, he had their devout attention. “The Slayer's people, her friends, are off limits; especially Willow Rosenberg and Xander Harris.”
 
“Who are you to give us orders?” One demon brave enough to stand up asked him, flicking her mottled purple and green hair over a grey skinned shoulder.
 
He let a little of his power trickle out, enough to make a few of the weaklings piss on themselves. “Yusuke Urameshi, Raizen's successor.”
 
The word Mazoku rippled in whispers around the room.
 
“So uh…beggin' your pardon your highness…why are you so interested in the Slayer's groupies?” Willy asked.
 
Yusuke chuckled. “Xander Harris is under my protection, and so is his friend Willow by default.”
 
“But why?” This came from the female.
 
“Xander is a descendant of Raizen…and my little brother.” He grinned at them all. “Something happens to him I'll kill every demon in this town.”
 
Silence and worried eyes met his announcement.
 
“Hey Willy, get me another beer.”
 
xxx
 
Xander raced out of the building at top speed ten whole minutes before the bell rang to signal the school day's end. Yusuke was on the steps waiting for him.
 
“Tell me you didn't just hang out here all day!”
 
“Nope, I walked around town a while, made some lasting impressions with the local demon population.”
 
“Why does that sound like a bad thing?”
 
Yusuke shrugged. “Nothing to worry about.”
 
Xander rolled his eyes. “So says the guy who doesn't live on a hell mouth. Anyway, here put this on; and wear it under your shirt.” He tossed the pendant to Yusuke who gave him a strange look. “Giles said it'll hide your demony-ness from Buffy. She'll think you're just an ordinary human.”
 
“Cool, and just in time to avoid a close call too.”
 
Xander's eyes bugged. “What did you do?”
 
“Well, I walked around Sunny Dale and ended up inside an art gallery.”
 
“Geez you met Buffy's Mom and got us invited to dinner tonight didn't you! See this is why I should have been with you.”
 
“You have experience saying no to pretty women who want to feed you?”
 
“Ah, no…never mind you make a good point.”
 
“And how'd you guess that anyway? You're not psychic right?”
 
“Nah, there's only one art gallery in town and Buffy's mom runs it.”
 
Yusuke snorted. “This is the weirdest town.”
 
To which Xander grumbled. “You ain't seen nothin' yet brother of mine.”
XXX