Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Demonic Circus ❯ Youko trapped? ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

TITLE: Demonic Circus
DATE STARTED: 1/15/06
COMPLETED: 1/15/06
RATING: T (swearing,violence, rating to be safe)
PAIRINGS: Not any really, just some small mentions of Jin/Touya and Hiei/Kurama. Nothing noticeable really, but, don't like, don't read. Don't complain because you didn't like it when I gave you fair warning.
 
DISCLAIMER: I don't own Yu Yu Hakusho. If I did, I wouldn't be writing under a fanfiction site.
 
~*~
 
“Hey, Minamino!”
 
The red head sighed deeply. “I'm sorry, but my study group is already full. Perhaps we can plan for another day?” He said, not turning from his locker, pulling out his Advanced Chemistry book.
 
“That's not what I meant!” growled the young man, slamming a hand on the locker next to the emerald-eyed fox.
 
Kurama closed his eyes, reaching for his Advanced Trigonometry book. “Irate?” He pulled the book from his locker and placed it in his bag along with the Chemistry book.
 
“What? Wait a minute! You're not going to use your big words or your pretty face to get out of this one! You stay away from my girl, ya hear me?!”
 
Kurama sighed inwardly. Probably the boyfriend of one of his fangirls who had signed up for a study group with him that evening. He didn't do it by choice, it was something he had been volunteered for, and was caught off guard. Unfortunately, he was too stunned to decline and was forced into it. It was too late to say he wouldn't do it.
 
“Stand in line, Kagato. It is not my fault your `girl' signed up for it. I didn't even want it in the first place. Talk to her about dropping out of the group. I can't remove anyone who actually wishes to do well on the upcoming exams.”
 
Kagato slammed his other fist into the locker on the opposite side of Kurama's head as the fox closed his locker door and turned to move away. “You are not walking away!”
 
“I have classes to get to.”
 
“They can wait!” He snarled, putting his face close to the reincarnated Youko.
 
Kurama coughed. This man's breath was horrid, and harsh to his senses. Kagato was the one who challenged him once before, on the way home from school. That was a huge mistake. Hiei happened to be waiting for him, and didn't waste a moment to waste the oaf for crossing his path. Apparently Kagato didn't learn lessons as well as Kurama believed he did. It had been a total of three months since that incident, and Kurama had believed he had forgotten the whole thing, and left it at that. He didn't.
 
“Kagato, I had nothing to do with Shiru signing up, but if it bothers you, I will talk to her today to see if she would hand her place over to someone else.” He turned his sensitive nose from the intruding male. “I don't believe she needs the tutoring. I could place you in her slot. You seem to need it very badly.”
 
Kagato growled deeply, and aimed a punch at the red head who easily ducked and moved to the side as Kagato brought a knee up. Kurama smirked. He wouldn't fight on school grounds, but watching the human try to fight him made the situation funny. He had no idea who he was up against, and it made it that much more amusing.
 
“Kagato! Suuichi!” A pretty blonde female walked up, her green eyes glaring up at the muscle head who had his hand through her locker. “Kagato, leave Suuichi alone! You know he's not a fighter!”
 
“Shiru! He started it!” Kagato replied like a five year old boy. Kurama shook his head.
 
“This is about that damned study group Suuichi is running, isn't it!? I told you, I want to get into a good school, so I need his help! I can't mooch off my parents for the rest of my life!”
 
The red head turned away from the quarreling couple and left for his class, arriving just in time for the bell. He slid into his seat just before the teacher walked in, preparing for class.
 
He tuned out the teacher, as always, and stared out the window, but pretended to write down notes, so the teacher thought that he was taking notes. Although he was top student, that didn't stop him from ignoring what was going on. All he had to do was read the chapter, which usually made it less complicated than the teacher, and complete his work.
 
The day was nice, and he desired to be out there, then in the stuffy school with the noise that hurt his ears, offending smells, and annoying people. The sun shined down, the sky was a brilliant blue, and the leaves on the trees blew in the soft wind.
 
It was early, only about 9:00 am. He sighed. Hiei wouldn't arrive til lunch, when the fire demon would join him for lunch, and complain about how boring his day was. It was the same thing everyday, but something he looked forward to. Sitting on the roof, listening to Hiei growl about `baka ningen', and being called a child. The same thing, but it never got old. He enjoyed spending time with him, more than the students of the school. Hiei understood him more than they did, and they could talk about more things than just school.
 
“Minamino! Please tell me the answer to the question on the board.” His teacher called.
 
Kurama glanced up at the middle aged man and sighed inwardly. He stood up staring blankly at the board. “The angle measure to bring 300 degrees back to zero would be 60 degrees. That means the sine of 60 degrees is negative square root of three over two, cosine of 60 degrees is one over two, tangent of 60 degrees is negative square root of three, cotangent of sixty degrees is negative square root of three over three, secant of 60 degrees is two and cosecant of 60 degrees is negative two square root of three over two.”
 
The class glanced from Kurama to the teacher, then back again. Their teacher smiled, and nodded. “Good job, Minamino. You've done well. Would anyone care to explain how Minamino came up with the sixty degree angle?”
 
Kurama sat back down and returned his gaze to the window. It was just the beginning of the year. He would have to suffer through more days with these annoying gapers and fangirls, but remembering that the little fire demon, though he protested to caring, would always visit at the same time everyday and escort him home. That was what made the day bearable.
 
~*~
 
“Hn. Fox, what are you doing?” Hiei asked, standing in the same spot he did everyday, waiting for the fox to be dismissed for lunch.
 
Kurama dropped his books by the door and used his Rose Whip to block the door so no one would be able to get through. He sighed and then looked over to Hiei who started towards him. He gave him a small, drained smile and nodded to his bag. “Go ahead.”
 
Hiei glanced down at the bag and then back up at the fox. “Something wrong?”
 
“No, why do you ask?”
 
“Hn. You seem weary. Koenma could call us anytime. Haven't you been sleeping well?”
 
Kurama chuckled to himself. Hiei never showed much concern until lately. “I'm fine. Just a group of annoying ningens.”
 
“I seen that fool try to fight you. Why didn't you send him to hell?”
 
“Because then I would have to explain why there was a dead schoolmate in the halls of the school, and then it would raise some very awkward questions with `kaasan.” Kurama sat down, pulling out his books and then the wrapped lunch he had prepared for the fire demon. “It would be more of a hassle than I want at the moment. You do know what today is, correct?”
 
“That study thing, right? Why did you go for such a thing?” Hiei snatched a cookie, Shiori had slipped in. Kurama chuckled again. The Jaganshi loved sweets and was not afraid to show it.
 
“I told you, I didn't really have a choice. Besides, it wouldn't hurt for you to learn some of the things that they will be studying about.”
 
“Hn.” That meant that subject had outlived his attention span, as he moved on to a rice ball.
 
“I wonder. Do you think you would mind being around a group of swooning ningens?”
 
“Of course I do! I can't stand those baka ningen! If only they knew what lie beneath that ningen shell.”
 
“They would probably drool.”
 
“Hn, I just think it's pathetic. There is no reason for it.”
 
Kurama grinned. “So, you're immune to the Youko?”
 
“Of course. I know Youko.” He replied simply, going in for some of the curry.
 
“I suppose…” Kurama sighed and leaned back against the wall. “You know, I like this breeze.”
 
“Probably Jin playing around again. According to the ningen box with moving pictures—”
 
“Television, Hiei.”
 
“Fine, whatever. He said that the wind was unnatural for the heat.”
 
“You understood him?”
 
Hiei shrugged, eating the egg roll. “More or less, the Wind Master is having his fun again.”
 
“You amaze me sometimes.”
 
“You can talk too much, sometimes.”
 
Kurama turned his eyes to the sky, admiring the blue. Hiei liked to eat in the quiet. He would respect that. The wispy clouds floated lazily by, hypnotizing the already worn down kitsune.
 
“Kurama, I think that was the bell.” Hiei said, shaking his partner. “Get up baka kitsune!”
 
Kurama blinked and stared up into the almond shaped, blood red eyes of his lunch companion. “What?”
 
“That annoying sound you called a bell rang. Perhaps you should go.”
 
“Oh, yes, of course.” Kurama stood and gathered his things. “I'll see you after school.”
 
Hiei grunted and jumped from the roof, disappearing from his view. The fox gave an exasperated sigh, retrieved his rose whip, hid the reverted back rose in his hair, and left for English.
 
~*~
 
“Hey, Suuichi!” The entire study group had circled around him, ready to follow him back to his house for a serious cramming session.
 
Kurama shuddered. He really hated this. He gathered his books from his locker and turned to the circle around him. “I suppose we should get going.” There were thirteen faces, mostly giddy girls who only signed up to get closer to him. Unfortunately, his mother had thought this a good way to make friends, and told him to bring the study group home, so they could work there. She promised to have food and drinks for them, so they could stay as late as they needed to get their work done. Kurama protested, but this was a topic she was firm on.
 
He led the thirteen classmates from the school, stopping only to look up at the ningen clothed Hiei who stood in a tree. He looked back down and ignored the ningen staring at him, he jumped down to join his friend. Kurama shook his head, seeing the annoyed expression on his face. “Well, I told you that they would be coming home with me.”
 
“I didn't think there'd be so many.” He growled, looking back at the gaping ningen.
 
“Oh! Suuichi! Is this your little brother?!” squealed one of the girls, standing in front of Hiei and pulling on his cheeks.
 
“Um…no, but maybe you shouldn't do that. He gets really…grumpy when people do that.”
 
Shiru backed away at Hiei's death glare and waited for the two to pass before she started following again.
 
Hiei rubbed his reddening cheeks in annoyance, trying to burn a hole through the ground. Kurama sighed and put a calming hand on his shoulder. “Try not to hurt anyone tonight. I'll keep you busy with a steady supply of sweet snow.”
 
“Hn, but they had better not do it again.”
 
“I know, I know.” Kurama's gaze left the Jaganshi to the road ahead of him, a young boy slumped over catching his attention.
 
Hiei wrinkled his nose in distaste. “What is that?”
 
Kurama ran over to him, the study group close behind. “Are you all right?”
 
The boy looked weakly up at the red head, his blue eyes reflecting his pain and exhaustion. His skin was pale, and Kurama noticed the blood on his hands. His white hair was stained in the back with red. He wasn't in good shape, to put it lightly. “What do you want?”
 
“Let me help you. Hiei?”
 
Hiei rolled his eyes. “Fine. You owe me.”
 
Kurama shook his head, grinning some. “Fine.”
 
The fire demon lifted the child into his arms and nodded for Kurama to leave. The boy did some resistance, but a threatening glare from Hiei made him freeze in what appeared to be fear. Once Kurama had led the ningens out of sight, Hiei took off at full speed to the fox's home.
 
~*~
 
“I'll just be getting some supplies from my room. Get your things out and I will be back shortly.” Kurama told them, setting them around the dining room table. He dashed up to his room, spotting Hiei sitting in the window sill. The boy lay frightened in the fox's bed, staring around wildly at his new surroundings.
 
“Are you all right, kid? What's your name?” Kurama said gently, lifting his hands seeing a knife wound.
 
“Sa—Sasuke,” he replied feebly.
 
Kurama smiled to comfort him. “Don't worry Sasuke. I'll take good care of you. Can I ask what happened?”
 
Sasuke shook his head but stopped quickly. It pained him to move really. He watched the emerald eyed beauty move to his desk for something. Then he turned around and gave him another soothing smile. “We should clean your wounds before we wrap them up. Hiei, I'll need you to keep them busy downstairs until `kaasan comes back home.”
 
“No! I refuse! I'll take care of the kid.” Hiei snarled, crossing his arms.
 
Kurama laughed inwardly at the fire demon's quick rejection. “There's sweet snow down there. All you have to do is take these pencils down to them, some paper, and pass out some snacks for them.”
 
“I don't want to go near them.” He said through gritted teeth.
 
“I know, but you have to go near them to get to the kitchen where the freezer is for sweet snow, so you might as well take this down anyway.”
 
Hiei steeled himself for the venture downstairs, knowing he wouldn't be able to hold out any longer against the kitsune, and took the supplies handed to him and stomped down the stairs to the right of Kurama's bedroom.
 
“Sasuke, do you think you can walk across the hall?” he asked softly, opening the door to the bathroom.
 
Sasuke looked at the edge of the bed and scooted closer to it. He looked over the edge at the floor that seemed several feet away. He took a deep breath and reached his shaky legs down, coming in contact with the plush carpet. He stumbled and fell into the fox who nodded. “It's all right. I've got you.” Sasuke took Kurama's hand tightly, leaning close to the reincarnated Youko as if afraid to fall.
 
Kurama lifted him into his arms and carried him to the bathroom where he shut the door and locked it, so they wouldn't be disturbed. He set Sasuke on the closed toilet and started the bath water.
 
Sasuke watched him work quietly, admiring the kindness he was receiving. “Thank you…?”
 
“You can call me Suuichi. You should take your clothes off so I can clean those wounds properly.”
 
Sasuke froze and wrapped his arms tightly around himself. “No!”
 
Kurama straightened, his right sleeve rolled up to test the water's temperature. “I won't hurt you.”
 
“I won't! No!” Sasuke screamed, almost falling from his perch.
 
Kurama's eyes narrowed in suspicion and he righted the boy. His left hand remained on his side, while his right kept checking the water. “Did someone hurt you?”
 
“No more…Please…”
 
“I promise, I won't hurt you. I just want to help. If you don't clean them out, they could cause illness and infection. You don't want to feel sick, do you? I won't look, I swear.”
 
Sasuke swallowed hard and with Kurama's help removed his clothes and climbed in. Slowly, Kurama ran a cloth through the water and over the wounds, looking for any debris. Once he had finished his inspection, he tossed the bloodied cloth in the sink filled with cool water and reached for a second one, running it over his tense shoulders and back, spotting the contusions.
 
Sasuke relaxed and closed his eyes, moaning at the gentle strokes that loosened his tensed muscles. “You…wanted to know what happened?
 
“Not if you don't want to say. It isn't my job to pry. I just wanted to help you.” Kurama replied, moving the soapy cloth to Sasuke's right arm.
 
It was a demon. My Grandfather is very ill and my sister was taking care of him when it happened. He came to my room, and when I refused to…to give him what he wanted, he got upset. I was able to get away, but…I'm scared.” He repressed his emotions. He would not show anyone that he would cry. Not even a total stranger.
 
Kurama bit his lip. “You are a brave young boy, Sasuke. I'm glad you got away. I will take care of you for now, until you can get back to your family.”
 
“You promise?”
 
“Of course.” Answered the kitsune, running the cloth between the thin digits on his left hand now.
 
“You can help my injuries?”
 
“Yes. I'm quite skilled at it. I've…had to get used to it. My friends aren't the type to walk away from challenges. They hardly come away from a fight without getting hurt, even if they do win.” He smiled and handed Sasuke the cloth. “You can say I've had to become a doctor around them. Now finish washing up while I go and check on Hiei and get you some clothes.” He stood up and left the room, making sure to twist the lock on the door and close it.
 
~*~
 
Kurama knocked on the door some time later, his ointments and spare clothes in his hand. Sasuke opened the door, a towel around his small waist. However, Kurama noticed his muscles were well-toned, like Hiei, very unlikely for a ningen child.
 
“You seem to find my appearance confusing…I figured you knew that I am demon as well.” Sasuke said, stepping aside so Kurama could enter.
 
“I never expected it. I never even sensed it.” Kurama mentally slapped himself. He could have been killed! Why didn't he see it before? Why didn't he notice? Was he losing his touch, or was this kid good?
 
“I don't have any outward power. You usually have a hard time sensing things unless they have an offensive power. And don't worry. You have shown me kindness. I won't hurt you.” Sasuke set himself down on the toilet again, allowing Kurama to tend to him.
 
After applying the cool ointment, making the small creature wince more to the touch than the hurt, he tightly wrapped up his stomach, the cut on his arm and the bleeding head injury.
 
Sasuke gave a tired yawn. “Can I sleep somewhere?”
 
“You've been awake for more than an hour, so I suppose you may. Here.” He led Sasuke back to his room and set him on the bed. “I'll come back in about a half hour. If you need anything, don't be afraid to yell for me.”
 
Sasuke smiled and nodded, laying back into the soft blankets and pillows, instantly falling to a peaceful rest. Kurama sighed tiredly, and left the room closing the door and joining the study group, after cleaning up the bathroom.
 
~*~
 
“Thanks Suuichi! That was a great help!” Shiru said, waving. She and the last two members of the study group waved their goodbye. They left, planning to meet in two days for another session. Hiei had gone an hour before to go and bother Kuwabara and Yusuke who would be getting out of detention for making a snowman out of wet toilet paper and leaving it in the teacher's lounge. Hiei of course had been spying on them as he had with Kurama. It seemed the little Jaganshi had nothing better to do with his days.
 
Kurama bid Shiori, his stepfather and stepbrother a good night and trudged up the stairs slowly. He was exhausted, and that was putting it lightly. Thirteen ningen who were as stupid as a rock trying to get the hang of Algebra…he would rather go and take on Yomi's entire army than do that again.
 
He opened the door to his bedroom and silently changed. He turned to his bed and jerked from his daze. He had forgotten about little Sasuke! The young boy rolled over, wide awake and smiling some. “Don't worry. I didn't look.”
 
Kurama blushed slightly. “I forgot you were here.”
 
“It's all right. You can have your bed back.” Sasuke climbed out and motioned for the fatigued fox to lay down.
 
Kurama shook his head and grinned. “No, that's all right. I'll take the guest room.”
 
“No. I should go. You've done enough for me.”
 
“Don't be silly.”
 
“Then…stay here with me.”
 
Kurama blinked, bemused by the sudden blush on the child demon's face.
 
“You, remind me of my big brother. He's dead now, but—whatever.” Sasuke looked at the ground.
 
“You're still a bit frightened.” Kurama concluded.
 
Sasuke nodded. Kurama chuckled lightly and nodded. “All right, get in.”
 
“No, you first.” He said quickly. “I want to be able to get up for water without waking you.”
 
Kurama sighed. He was not going to argue tonight. He was tired, had a huge headache, and was ready to collapse where he stood. “Fine.” He threw himself in and pat the spot next to him, yawning widely.
 
Sasuke's eyes filled with sorrow. “I'm sorry for this. You showed me great kindness, but I must do this for my Grandfather.” His eyes turned a bright gold and the bed turned into a yellow cell that zapped the Youko when he moved to touch the bars.
 
“Sasuke! None of it was true was it?”
 
“All of it was true. I do not lie. I won't hurt you either. I just need the jewels. Let us go and see your new master, Youko Kurama.” He reached out with his right fist and smashed the glass, ripping the cuff on the overly sized shirt, leaving the fabric traces and blood on the window. “You will not be alone.” He held up his left hand towards the door, and a black hole formed drawing things not tied down into it. Kurama's prison joined it and Sasuke jumped in behind him.
 
~*~
 
Kahuffstix-Well, you're the only one on either site! Thanks for the review. Any suggestions?