Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Demonic Guardians ❯ Ch. 1: So It Begins ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Demonic Guardians

Chapter I: So It Begins

Of all the things pacifier-breath could have assigned them, it had to be one involving human brats. And now he had to pose as one as well.

Hiei's mood could not be worse. He scowled at the dreary weather outside, ignoring Yusuke and Kuwabara's fighting in the background. Spider web rivulets of rainwater coursed across the window glass as the countryside went flying past. Hiei was not fond of human methods of travel. He did not understand why they couldn't fly to this 'Hogwarts' place via Botan's oars. But Koenma had insisted that they take the train, as was customary for 'Hogwarts' students. "You need to act just like any other student there, and that includes getting to the school the same way everyone else does," Koenma had said.

"Hn," he scoffed, drawing Kurama's attention.

The fox demon had an almost amused expression on his face. "Koenma is certainly getting creative with his assignments. Who would have thought we'd be sent to a magic school?"

Yusuke, meanwhile, paused his roughhousing with Kuwabara. "He can't expect me to actually go to classes though." Back in Japan, Yusuke rarely bothered attending school, and on the odd occasions he did, he never stayed past noon. What made the demigod of the dead think that this would be any different?

"Or me," added Kuwabara.

"Well, you'll have to, unless you want to blow our cover." Kurama stood up as the sound of squeaking wheels right outside their compartment caught his attention. "They will be all magic classes. It can't be as bad as your normal classes."

"My normal school never included baby-sitting as part of an undercover mission."

Kurama paid no attention to the reply, however, as he opened the compartment door. A plump rosy-cheeked woman stood there with a trolley laden with an assortment of colored packages.

"Anything from the trolley, dears?"

Interest piqued, Hiei left his place by the window to investigate the cart. Kurama selected two pumpkin pasties wrapped in foil before paying the lady with a handful of bronze coins they had picked up earlier at a place called 'Gringotts.'

After the trolley rolled on to the next box (with a considerably lighter load than before), the group sat back down to enjoy their snacks.

Hiei had retreated back to his seat by the window, his foul mood alleviated somewhat as he sat contentedly with one of his ice cream cones. He listened with little interest to Yusuke and Kuwabara's meaningless banter.

After a while, Kurama stood up, crumpling up the sheet of foil in his hand.

Yusuke looked up from his Chocolate Frog long enough to ask, "Where are you going?"

"I'm gonna go take a look around. Be right back," replied Kurama before the compartment door slid closed in his wake.

--------------------------------------------------------

Draco Malfoy sneered contemptuously as he strode arrogantly down the aisle, flanked by Crabbe and Goyle as always. He had just finished taunting Potty and his Mudblood and Weasel friends, and was looking for someone else to ridicule.

He flicked a glance into one of the compartments to his right.  Through the glass he could see a plump round-faced boy and a girl with dirty blonde hair and glazed eyes who had her nose buried in a magazine. Hmm. . . Longbottom seemed a favorable target.

When the compartment door opened, Neville visibly tensed at the sight of the three Slytherins standing in the doorway. The girl sitting across from him laid down the magazine.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't the boy who hasn't enough brains to fill a teaspoon," drawled Malfoy. Crabbe and Goyle laughed thickly at this.

Neville paled and stammered, "G-g-go away, M-Malfoy."

"G-g-go away, M-Malfoy," mimicked Draco mockingly. "And what if I don't? Will you go running to Granny?" He reached down and snatched up the magazine. "The Quibbler? Who would be fool enough to read this rubbish?" he sneered derisively. "But then again, if you hang around trash like Longbottom, I wouldn't be surprised." He tossed the magazine to the floor carelessly.

Luna stiffened at the comment and picked up her magazine, straightening the pages before holding it possessively in her lap.

Neville was clutching his wand in one white-knuckled hand, suddenly remembering Harry and Ron's words way back in first year that "he was worth ten of Malfoy." "Leave us alone, Malfoy. We never did anything to you!" Beneath the fragile layer of confidence, there was a note of pleading in his voice.

Malfoy saw Neville's wand and decided to interpret it as a challenge. He pulled his wand out from his pocket. "So this is how you want to play it, is that right, Longbottom?" Crabbe and Goyle followed suit, fumbling through their robes before producing their wands, ready to back up their leader. Malfoy raised his wand and prepared a hex.

"Now really. Is magic the only way you know how to resolve a conflict?" spoke an unfamiliar voice behind them.

They all turned to regard the newcomer.

Had it not been for the undoubtedly masculine voice, Malfoy may have mistaken him to be a girl. The stranger had long red hair that gave him an almost feminine look and vibrant green eyes. His features were very handsome, and his build was lithe. He carried himself with an air of composed calmness.

Malfoy narrowed his eyes, wand forgotten. He had never seen this boy before, and he looked far too old to be a first year. "And who are you?" he asked, trademark smirk in place.

The stranger met his gaze calmly. "Shuichi Minamino."

"Well, then, Minamino, you can just haul your ass back to your own compartment before I hex you." Malfoy reinforced his threat by holding up his wand.

Kurama had to suppress his amusement at the petty attempt of intimidation. Hex him? With that flimsy stick? Unfazed, he shook his head, the impassiveness never leaving his face. "Empty threats account for nothing."

Malfoy's face twisted in anger. Who did this redhead think he was? "Let's see how empty of a threat this is!" He raised the wand, but suddenly found himself holding nothing. "Huh?" He looked at his hand in confusion. Where was his wand?

"Looking for this?" asked Kurama evenly, twirling a wand nonchalantly in his right hand. He could see Neville and Luna struggling to keep straight faces.

Malfoy's eyes widened in recognition. He turned furiously to his cronies. "Well, don't just stand there! Jinx him!"

Crabbe and Goyle, standing on either side of Kurama, hastened to comply. At the same time, they shouted incantations, badly mangling the syllables. Kurama sidestepped easily, and jets of green and red light crisscrossed the air. Instead of hitting Kurama, the spells landed on Crabbe and Goyle.

Large bulbous boils formed on Crabbe's arms and face, popping spontaneously to release runny pus. Goyle, on the other hand, seemed perfectly normal. He turned to Malfoy and his lips moved, but no sound came out. A look of befuddled cluelessness crossed his dull features and he tried again. . .with no luck.

Whatever spell Crabbe had cast had made Goyle mute.

Malfoy snarled and wheeled around to face Kurama. "What did you do, Minamino?" he snarled.

Kurama cocked an eyebrow. "What did I do? You should be asking them, they're the one's who cast the hexes, not me." His face was blank, though the Youko inside him was laughing. "But of course, only one of them can talk and answer your question. You might want to find a way to get those spells off before a professor comes along and asks about it." He handed Malfoy back his wand and added politely, "And here's your wand."

"I'm not through with you, Minamino," hissed the blonde Slytherin. Malfoy threw him one last malicious look before storming out, Crabbe and Malfoy trailing after him.

As soon as they were gone, Neville and Luna collapsed under peals of laughter. Even Kurama allowed himself a light smile.

When they finally pulled themselves together again, Neville was grinning broadly.

"That was brilliant!" he beamed. "The look on Malfoy's face!"

"Thank you." Kurama studied them for a quick second, evaluating their ki auras. Both had stronger ki than normal humans, but still relatively weak, even compared to the lowest class demons. "I don't believe we've been introduced properly. My name's Shuichi Minamino."

"I'm Neville Longbottom."

"Luna Lovegood." The girl looked at him with wistful eyes. "And thank you - for telling Malfoy off."

Kurama shrugged. "Don't let him bother you too much. He isn't worth your time."

Idiot fox, we're almost at the school. Get over here, wherever you are!

Kurama heard Hiei's voice speaking to him telepathically and realized the truth in the fire demon's words. I'm coming! he replied. Then, to Neville and Luna, he said, "Sorry, but I should be going now. It seems we're almost there."

Neville seemed a bit disappointed, but nodded. "Alright then. See you later?"

"Yes. See you at Hogwarts, then." He turned and stepped out of the compartment, the door sliding shut behind him.

-------------------------------------------------------

When Kurama got back to his box, the others were already changing into their school robes, Hiei a bit grudgingly.

"Sorry about that. I guess I got a little sidetracked," said Kurama as he slipped on the black robes.

"Hn."

"Find anything interesting, Fox?" asked Yusuke.

"Not really. Met some of the students, though," replied Kurama casually.

"Did you see that boy - Harry Potter?"

"Who?" asked Kuwabara.

Hiei glared at the tall, orange-haired boy. "Harry Potter. The ningen boy we're supposed to protect from the ningen Voldemort."

Kurama shook his head. "No, I didn't find Harry, but I'm sure we'll meet him soon enough."

The train stopped moving and they all heard the gravelly scraping of other compartment doors sliding open. The four Japanese boys stood up.

"We're here," said Yusuke. Before they left the box though, Kurama turned to address the Reikai Tantei.

"And by the way, remember what Koenma said about keeping a low profile here. We're just students here, understood? Normal, human students - " Kurama looked pointedly over at Hiei, who responded with a scornful 'Hn.' " - meaning that no one calls me 'Fox' anymore, and no excessive displays of unusual power."

The group nodded and Yusuke smirked.

"All right then. Let's go see what this 'Hogwarts' is about then, ne?"