Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Destiny Sucks ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Change is something no living being can bypass, overlook, or dodge away from. Change is a word that can mean so many different things. There's change for the best, change for the worst, and then there's a change that you sometimes forget about. That change, the one from years and years ago, always tends to come back to bite.
 
Nothing's ever the same after a drastic change, we all know that. But soon enough you decide to move on and forget about it. That's right, there's nothing you can do. She's dead.
 
Inya's eyes slowly opened. She was lying beside her love, who was still too deep in his slumber to awake. Inya sat up and let her feet touch the soft carpet. She touched her stomach; her skin soft, yet slightly stretched. “I remember your words, old friend, they still tend to sting me every once in a while. But now that you've passed on to the Netherworld, I guess I couldn't…” Inya applied pressure to her stomach without knowing it, and her hand was soon pulled away from her skin. She looked at her side; her love was staring in her eyes with a puzzled look on his face, “Careful, love, what is the matter?”
 
Inya relaxed the muscles I her hand and turned her head away, “Nothing, I was just…”
 
Her love sat up beside her and touched her chin, tilting her face towards his just enough to give her a gentle kiss. “You mustn't let yourself feel guilty, my love, things change.”
 
“Yes, Kurama, I know…but it has slipped my mind so many years now. There is a reason these memories are now returning to me. Something is different, I can feel it.”
 
“Your friend has been gone for seven years now. Those memories should not haunt you.”
 
“You must understand, we had an agreement, and it was supposed to last till the end of our lifetime. And now…”
 
 
Kurama lifted himself off the bed's edge and pulled Inya up to her feet. He embraced her within his arms tightly. “Forget those memories; you have much more to look forward to. The past cannot be changed.”
 
Inya sighed, “You're right, I will just have to forget her.”
 
“That's better, now let's go and get some breakfast.” Kurama took her hand and led her out the door.
 
They were the last one's to eat breakfast that morning. Everyone else was already awake and in Koenma's office.
 
“Ok, Ok, let me get this straight: you want us—after a whole year of absolutely zero missions—to go out and find this—thing—and bring it here, because it just so happened to be killing everything in sight, right?” Yusuke asks while standing up.
 
“Yes.”
 
“And you want it done today?”
 
“Yes.”
 
There was a long pause that came from Yusuke, followed by: “ARE YOU MADD?! How the hell are we supposed to just wake up after a year of sit'n on the couch eat'n cheetos to go and fight off a demon that's obviously strong, deadly, and on a killing rampage?! I doubt I even remember how to point my finger at anything and actually hit it!”
 
“Yusuke, you are truly part demon now, those instincts that you had a year ago are still fresh compared to what they'd be if you were still human. You only thing you're ill-prepared because you haven't done anything serious. If you were to go on any mission, you would be fine.” Hiei points out from across the room beside the wall.
 
“Hiei's right, you will be fine.” Koenma assures.
 
“Hey, what about Kurama and Inya, will they be going?” Kuwabara asks.
 
“Of course, they're part of the team, they have to go. Kurama will protect his mate and you all will help him. I don't want to see an angry Yoko at my desk trying to strangle me because his mate was killed. Besides, by now I'm sure Kurama's mate will be expecting a child soon, he will be extra cautious,” Koenma states.
 
Botan had already rushed to inform Kurama and Inya on the situation. Both were fairly unsure about going on a mission, but they both soon assured themselves that all was going to be well.
 
The team met outside where the portal to the Makai awaited their entrance.
 
“Alright, is everyone ready?” Botan asks in her cheery voice that didn't seem to cheer anyone up at the moment.
 
Everyone nodded in approval and walked toward the portal. Yusuke went first followed by Kuwabara and Hiei. Kurama and Inya entered last, and Botan tightly sealed up the portal behind them.
There was nothing around them as they scouted the area for any demons that might get the urge to attack them since at first glance they could be easily mistaken for normal humans. Hiei jumped in the tree tops and went on ahead to clear the area for any weak demons that might get in their way.
 
Kurama kept close by his mate's side, cautious and alert. Yusuke stayed ahead while Kuwabara stayed behind. Inya had to remain in the middle if any surprise attack was to befall the group at a moment's notice. She had to be protected at any and all costs.
 
Three long hours passed, and still no sign of the target. They went to two cities and asked about the demon, and noticed that many people have come into contact with it. One woman said that it wasn't a demon at all, it was a young of about sixteen years old, and wearing clothing she had never seen before. She claimed that the girl was only killing demons that were causing trouble, and humans that were thieves and murderers. Another stated that the girl was traveling with a bunch of wolves, but the man couldn't confirm this because his eyesight had gone bad over the years.
 
Everyone met back up just outside a small village that had just been raided by thieves on horseback. They had long since left the town and were miles away by now.
 
“This is going nowhere. I'm worn out.” Yusuke says as he sits down on the ground and lies out.
 
“No one knows where this girl came from or where she lives. She just appears at the right time to save a town or someone from any danger.” Kurama confirms.
 
“Well, it seems this town got the short end of the stick this time. She didn't come and save them.” Kuwabara says.
 
“I don't know maybe we should just rest for a while and think about this.” Kurama says as he sits beside a tree, Inya sitting next to him.
 
“I wouldn't rest right now, look over there.” Hiei pointed on down the road from his perch in a tree at four riders on horseback.
 
Everyone jumped up and watched them as they trotted toward them. They were laughing and going on about the raid they had just completed. They were four older men that looked about in their forties or so. They were reaching in sacks and pulling out handfuls of gold and silver. The laughing got louder as they advanced onward.
 
Hiei pulled his sword out about an inch or two, ready and waiting. Kurama pulled Inya behind a tree and they hid there, watching the riders. Yusuke and Kuwabara also hid behind trees. They waited for the thieves to pass through, and then they would return to their hunt.
 
All was well until—right when the riders were in clear sight—the rider in front was shot down. The other four stopped and their horses reared up in fear. They began to flee from the scene as fast as their horses would carry them. Unfortunately, all three were shot down and fell to the hard ground.
 
The team watched in surprise as the horses were all pinned to the ground by their long reins by arrows. Strangely, they were strong enough to hold the horses who were pulling and jerking their reins. Someone jumped down from the treetops and rushed to calm the horses. The person took hole of the horses' reins and led them to each body on the ground. An arrow was in each one's neck, and they were yanked out as the stranger collected the stolen money and other materials. The arrows were placed back inside the quiver on the person's back. Soon, the person began to walk back towards the village.
 
Kurama took a quick glance at Inya, and was dumbfounded at what he found. She was staring endlessly at the stranger who gradually became smaller and smaller. She emerged from behind the tree and walked in the direction of the stranger like she was being manipulated. Kurama hurled his arm out in front of her. “What are you doing? You might get hurt.”
 
Inya looked at Kurama, “I think I know who that is, let me go.” She grabbed his arm and moved it aside while making her way toward the person of which she claimed to know.
 
Kurama followed a little ways behind her, and everyone came out of hiding to join him.
 
Inya walked faster and faster and soon began to yell at the person.
 
“Hey! Wait, tell me who you are! I think I know you!”
 
The stranger stopped and turned around to face Inya.
 
Inya could now clearly see the form of this person. She had hazel eyes and auburn hair. She was dressed in a strange outfit with sleek, silver-looking armor on her right knee and across her collarbone. She had green leather straps on her arms over long green, unattached sleeves. She wore a short brown skirt that had a split down the side clean up to her hip. Large and small green jewels adorned her already bizarre outfit. There was a jacket-like shirt over her shoulders that had short sleeves and a large folded collar. The fabric of the shirt was under the armor on her collarbone and only reached to the end of her shoulder blades on her back. Her top was brown and cut off above her ribs, where a sting of three green jewels were attached and ran down to the middle of her skirt. On each side of this string was a thick green leather strap that wrapped around the outside of her ribs. Her hair was in a loose tie at her neck and she carried a long brown bow with a decorative red handle. She also had strange black markings under her left eye, around her bellybutton, her right arm, the inside of her right leg and on the outside of her left leg. And there was a green charm hanging on her forehead by a green thin strap with a thin string affixed to it with one tiny gem stringing under her right eye and to the side of her face.
 
The girl did not look happy that Inya had stopped her and glared at the red toga-wearing-demon.
 
“Who are you? Tell me your name.” Inya pleaded.
 
“Why should I, demon? What business do you have with me?” the girl replied harshly.
 
“You look fairly familiar. I know I've seen you before.”
 
“Lots of people have seen me before, now go on; I have to return these horses and money to that village over there.” She turned to leave.
 
“Hold on there! The rest of my team has been searching for you and we need to bring you to Reikai—or Spirit World.”
 
The girl paused. She took a glance back behind Inya at the team of boys. She turned fully around. “I don't have time to go with you. I have more important things to do.”
 
“You won't after you see this.” Inya brushed her hand across her face, removing the long white hair that was covering up her cheeks to reveal a marking much like the girl's under her right eye.
 
The girl stared at the marking. “Tell me your name, demon.”
 
“You should remember me now. I am your old partner, Inya.”
 
There was a long silence. The girl's expression did not change. There was a sudden movement that shook the minds of everyone around. The girl had let go of the horses and reached down for a knife that was strapped to her left leg and lunged toward Inya. Before anything serious happened, Inya had ducked low to the ground holding her stomach with a blade a foot away from her body. Kurama had a strong grip on her right arm. Yusuke was gripping the back of her neck, Hiei had the blade of his sword inches from her neck, and Kuwabara had a grip on her left arm.
 
The girl glared evilly at the cowering Inya. She growled with anger, “You are not my old partner. She would have never ducked in fear of an approaching enemy, nor would she ever join a team of Spirit Detectives. My teammate was strong, selfish, and didn't have much a care in the world. She wore clothes adorned with gold and fought alongside me. You are nothing of the sort.”
 
“I wouldn't say much else if I were you.” Kurama stated, gripping her arm to the point of fracturing it.
 
The girl flinched and then released the tension that was flowing throughout her body.
 
“Get up, Inya. You're making me sick.”
 
Inya looked up at the girl with a spot of fear in her golden eyes. Her arms were still tightly wrapped around her stomach.
 
“Why did you do this…? I thought we had an agreement. Why did you go back on your word, Inya?!”
 
“You died. I couldn't continue being the way I was without you there to keep me straight. I lost my mind. How could you have survived?”
 
“I can't really answer that. I wouldn't be able to give you a correct answer. I had to dig myself the hell out of that eleven foot hole you threw me in. Don't ask how I survived that either. Coming back to life wasn't exactly the easiest thing to do. But I had to come back to make sure that you kept your word, but it seems I'm a little too late. You've already given up. I might as well die all over again, now that I don't have a reason for living anymore. Hey, you, with the sword, slit my throat please.”
 
“No! Don't, Hiei!”
 
Hiei looked at Inya when the blade was touching the girl's skin.
 
“Let her go.”
 
Kurama hesitated for a moment and then released his hold on the girl's arm. The rest of the team released their grip as well. Inya stood up and wrapped her arms around the girl. “I'm glad you're alive.”
 
The girl gently shoved her away, “What is WRONG with you?! Have you gone crazy? You would never hug anybody if your life depended on it. What did these Spirit Detective freaks do to you?! Why the hell are you in a toga? No wonder I didn't notice you. Which one of these bastards did this to you?!” she yelled as she took hold of Inya's shoulders.
 
“Can we discuss this later? Alone?”
 
The girl let go. “As long as you tell me what has been going on for the past seven years.”
 
“Deal.”