Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Father's Love ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Four years have passed since Kurama died. Kurai was raised by Yusuke and Keiko, never knowing who her father was, or her mother. But she seemed happy like any child would be. Although everyone knew she would begin to wonder about her family when she grew older, but for now she needed to be happy.

~*~

"Your mission is to find a demon named Namu. He is very high-tempered so you must be careful."

"Yeah, yeah. So what'd this guy do?"

"He knows the where-abouts of a very dangerous demon," answered the demi-god. Yusuke and Kuwabara listened to their mission. Since Kurama died and Hiei disapeared, they had to go on the missions by themselves. It was okay, and they managed this far, thankfully.

Koenma droned on about their mission, that's when Kuwabara noticed the little fox ears on the ruler's head."Urameshi look," he whispered. Yusuke looked into his comunicater and almost burst out laughing. Kurai was on top of the "teenage" ruler's head. She waved at her uncles and smiled at them, her fox tail swished happily. The detectives grinned and waved back. Kurai giggled, making the humans go "aw."

"Yusuke are you listening to me?!" roared Koenma.

"Yeah, yeah. I heard ya. All we have to do is find this guy Namu, make him talk and destroy the evil demon. Right?"

"Correct. See you later."

"Bye Uncle Yusuke! Bye Uncle Kuwabawa!"

"Bye!" Kuwabara laughed as the screen went blank."She's grown huh?" Yusuke smirked,"Yup. But she's still small." Kuwabara looked at him."Is she going to stay like that?" Yusuke sighed."Genkai says that Youkos start out small, but because Kurai's only half, it might take some time for her to grow." The red-head stared at his friend."So what? Aslong as she stays cute, there won't be a problem right?" Yusuke laughed."Yeah, I guess."

~*~

Koenma looked at the fox chibi on his head."Kurai, what did I tell you about interupting me at when I'm working?" Kurai smiled,"To be good so I can get a posile!" Koenma nodded."Yes, but what did you do just now?" Kurai thought, making this cute face that made George, who was standing near by, twitch at the pure cuteness."I said hi to Uncle Yusuke and Uncle Kuwabawa," Kurai cheered. Koenma sweatdropped."Yes, but were you being good?" Kurai shrugged."I don't know." Koenma sighed, annoyed at the chibi's innocence.

Kurai's ears drooped."I towwy Uncle Ko. I towwy I wasn't being good." George's eyes teared at the sight of the child, Koenma coughed trying to hold back tears as well."Yes..well...I forgive you Kurai. George get her a popsicle."

"Right away sir. What kind do you want Kurai?"

"I don't know," Kurai beamed."You pick Uncle George." The ogre smiled at the chibi."Ok."

"Get me one too!" Koenma yelled after George. The ruler sighed as Kurai went limp on his head, her hands and feet dangled."Kurai?"

"Yes Uncle Ko?"

"Could you please get off my head?"

~*~

Yusuke sighed as he trugded through the palace's hall. Kuwabara was muttering something about his torn shirt, which Yukina had given him. The mission was a success. They had found Namu, made him talk and destroyed the evil demon. But what really happened was they found a pathetic demon that would make Hiei furious, and the so-called "dangerous demon" was nothing but Namu's pet frog.

And how exactly did Kuwabara rip his shirt? Well, he fell down and ripped it on a thorn bush.

Yes. The mission went very well, not exciting, but well.

Yusuke sighed and muttered something about a vacation. Kuwabara kept messing with his shirt and yelped when it tore more."Hey, Kuwabara."

"What?"

"How's Yukina and the kids?"

"They're fine. Kaori is getting stronger though, thanks to Genkai."

"How is the old hag?"

"She's fine. Getting really old but fine."

"Hn. That's good."

Kuwabara sighed and stopped messing with his shirt."How's Keiko and Yume? They ok?" Yusuke nodded."Yeah, they're fine. Yume wants to come on our missions but Keiko won't let her." Kuwabara laughed."Kaori too. But Genkai says he isn't ready. Hey, how'd you get stuck with Kurai today anyway?" Yusuke groaned."Keiko said that Yume and her needed some time alone, so the fox had to come with me." Kuwabara chuckled."She probably drove you mad huh?" Yusuke sighed."Yeah." The red-head laughed."Sounds like Kurai. The kid's always doing stuff like this. Ever tried a babysitter?"

"We did."

"And?"

"They never came back."

~*~

Koenma greeted the detectives as they entered his office."I suppose the mission went well."

"Yeah, yeah. Where's the kid?" Koenma pointed to the corner of the room. Yusuke and Kuwabara almost burst out laughing. Kurai was poking a red ogre, called Steve. He was sprawled on the ground with the little fox on his chest, George was standing near by sweatdropping. Kurai crawled off the ogre and sighed. She looked at George and shrugged."I guess he wants ta sweep."

"Hey, chibi kitsune," Yusuke called. Kurai turned around and beamed at her uncle."Uncle Yusuke!!" She ran to the human, who picked her up and swooped her around. Kurai laughed as Yusuke began to attack her with kisses."Give her here Urameshi!" Kurai sqealed as Kuwabara began to toss her in the air. Kuwabara laughed as he caught the chibi and attack her with kisses as well.

"Ahem!"

Everyone stopped to stare at the demi-god. Koenma, still in teenage form, gave them a serious look."As much as I enjoyed Kurai's visit, I'm afraid its time to take your leave. I'll call when I need your help again."

"See ya later Koenma." Yusuke said. Kuwabara laughed as Kurai made her way on to the top of his head. "Yeah see ya," he said making sure that the small kitsune wasn't going to fall. After getting comfortable on the red-head's head, Kurai waved "bye-bye" to Koenma and George.

Yusuke and Kuwabara headed for the door, Kurai laughing because she was riding her uncle's head. After they left Koenma returned into his normal form."Now to get back to work," he said as he slid into his chair. George looked at his boss."Sir, why do you change form when Kurai comes?" Koenma snorted."Because I don't want her calling me a toddler! She grows faster than I do."

"But sir, Kurai doesn't care."

Steve groaned on the floor. The demi-god and ogre looked at him."Think we should wake him?" George asked."No. Let him sleep."

~*~

"Kurai why was that guy on the floor?"

"We were playing tag, I was it, and he ran into da wall!"

The men howled with laughter. After calming down, Kuwabara put the little fox on the ground."I gotta go. Bye you guys."

"See ya Kuwabara."

"Bye-bye Uncle Kuwabawa!"

Kuwabara grinned and waved at the two then headed off home. After making sure his friend left, Yusuke picked up Kurai and headed home."Uncle Yusuke," whimpered Kurai. "What's wrong Kurai?" Yusuke asked, concerned."Someone's watching us," she whispered, her silver ears twitched as they moved on top of her head, looking for the other person. Yusuke looked around looking for their stalker's spirit energy.

~Why can't I sense them~ Yusuke thought angrily to himself. Kurai curled deeper into Yusuke's arms."Uncle Yusuke," she whimpered. Yusuke rubbed the chibi's back soothingly."Don't worry Kurai. I won't let them hurt you." Kurai whimpered."I wanna go home," she cried.

Kurai screamed as a very big raven flew out of a nearby tree. Yusuke rasied his hand at the raven, ready to fire his Rei Gun, but let his hand fall as he noticed the bird. Yusuke sighed as he held the shivering chibi close to his chest."It's ok Kurai. It was just a bird." Kurai sniffled and buried her head in the humans chest.

"I wanna go home," she cried, her small fist tightening their hold on Yusuke's shirt. Yusuke rubbed her back whispering sootheing words into the fox's ears. Kurai sniffled, resting her head against his chest. Small tears ran down her cheeks and fell into the humans arms, turning into small jeweled orbs.

Tear gems.

Yuske sighed as he felt the small orbs in his arms. There was only one way to calm down the little fox now. Yusuke took a deep breathe as he began to sing.

April roses, tiny sparrows

Comets bright and new

All belong together

With the mystery that is you

When I see your little face

I hear a song from long ago

I think you know

The many secrets I've forgotten

The gems stopped as the little youko listened to the lullaby.

Generations through the ages

Joined as one somehow

Leading to the miracle

That I'm holding now

From the sky and from the sea

Upon a breeze you came to me

You seemed to see

A greater univers than I do

Kurai's head went limp on Yusuke's shoulder, her silver ears slowly drooped down to her head.

Sleep my baby, sleep my baby

Dream of somewhere far away

Do you still remember still

How I hope you always will

Keep the memory of the day

The world was born

Kurai let out a small yawn, her fangs shined in the cresent moon's light. Yusuke smirked as they reached their neighborhood.

When you wake up I'll be waiting

Eager for your smile

Youv'e had quite a journey darling

You should rest a while

When you cry we still rejoice

To hear you voice - oh yes, it's true

My sweet Washu

Please understand how much we love you

The little fox fought to keep her eyes open but lost after a yawn escaped from her mouth. Yusuke rocked the child and continued the lullaby.

Sleep my baby, sleep my baby

Later on perhaps you'll tell

The wonderous things you've seen

More miraculous than dreams

Tell me all about the day

The world was born

Yusuke smiled when he heard the soft, even breathing of the little youko. He opened the door slowly, careful not to wake the sleeping child. Yume walked up to her father and cooed at the little fox. Keiko smiled and offered to put the chibi to bed. Yusue declined and headed towards Kurai's room. He gently placed the chibi in he crib and covered her with her blue carrot blankets. Kurai curled in her blankets and yawned. Yusuke rubbed her back slowly to relax her more.

Sleep my baby, sleep my baby

Dream of somewher far away

Do you remember still

How I hope you always will

Keep the memory of the day

The world was born

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yay! Ch2 done!

The song is Washu's lullaby from Tenchi Muyo.

Now you guys asked me questions and here are the answers

Who is Kurai's mom? This fact will be revealed in later chapters, but I think you guys might know who she is ^_~

Is Kurama dead? Maybe. They say he is but is it true?

Where's Hiei? He's gone. Ran away after the mission when Kurama died. Poor Hiei =(

R&R PLEASE!! Good reviews mean faster updates!