Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Forever Fornever Tantei ❯ Best Laid Plans ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Author’s Note: This is the sequel to Between Death and Reality. While it is not required that you read that first, some of the things referenced here may not make a whole lot of sense.

Disclaimer: I do not own Yu Yu Hakusho. I am not making any money from writing this. I do, however, own my plotline.

*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*

Chapter 15

Best Laid Plans

*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*

“She’s the one, isn’t she?” Maya asked quietly. Kurama looked up at her. “The one you told me about. Your love.”

The fox nodded. “Yes.”

“I thought so,” Maya said with a nod to herself. “The way she was glaring at me made it kind of obvious.”

“But she wouldn’t even look at you, Kurama,” Yusuke said with a frown, sitting down next to the fox.

“What happened?” Kuwabara asked, taking his own seat.

After an hour of mostly sitting around and looking at each other (or in Botan’s case, not looking), the group had finally decided to give it a break. Botan had immediately said she was tired and Mitari had offered to show her a place to rest.

Kurama sighed and slumped back in his chair. “I suppose it is my fault.”

“She knows, doesn’t she?”

Kurama looked over at Maya in surprise.

“About last night?” she clarified.

“Most likely,” Kurama replied, mentally impressed at the girl’s perception.

“Last night?” Yusuke asked, eyebrows suddenly rising mischievously. “You two didn’t... did you?”

“Of course not!” Kurama snapped, immediately regretting it when he saw the glint in the boy’s eyes.

“I dunno, Urameshi,” Kuwabara added teasingly. “He did say they were old friends.”

“Kurama, you sly dog! Or should I say, ‘sly fox’?” Yusuke teased. Kurama rolled his eyes.

“Ha ha,” Yusuke.

“Come on, Kurama, how often do we get a chance to tease you?” Yusuke grinned insolently.

All the fox could do was shake his head at the younger teens. After a few minutes they grew tired of their game and quieted down.

“So what really happened?” Kuwabara asked finally.

“A kiss,” Maya replied. Kurama was thankful that he didn’t have to be the one to say it.

“A kiss?” Yusuke asked in legitimate surprise. He looked over at Kurama. “You and her?”

The red-head felt his cheeks warm slightly. “Yeah.”

“And Botan saw it...? From Spirit World...?”

“Most likely,” the fox confirmed.

“Ouch,” Yusuke grimaced.

“Why?” Kuwabara asked quietly. “What possessed you?”

“It was my fault,” Maya cut in. “It was my stupid idea and my rash actions.”

“Maya-” Kurama began, unsure of what else to say.

“I was the one who had to know,” Maya disagreed. “I was the one who came onto you. And now it’s all gone to hell. I’m sorry.”

“What’s done is done,” Kurama sighed.

The group lapsed into silence, each party lost in thought. A few minutes later, Mitari reappeared Kurama immediately looked up.

“Mitari-” he began, but the blonde shook his head.

“She specifically asked not to see you, Kurama.”

The fox felt his stomach drop at this.

“Damn, Kurama,” Yusuke whistled. “You really pissed her off.”

Kuwabara smacked the ex-detective on the back of the head. “That’s not helping, Urameshi!”

“Sorry,” Yusuke grumbled, rubbing the back of his head.

“No matter,” Kurama replied with a sigh. “There are other things that need attention right now.” No matter how much I might want to put this at the top. My own selfish problems are not most important right now.

“I still think we should take the battle to them,” Yusuke growled.

“And how are we supposed to do that, Yusuke?” Kurama asked reasonably - and much more patiently than he felt. Yusuke had brought up the same point at least four times in their last session. And the fox had struck it down the same way he was doing now each time. “We still don’t know where they’re headquartered and the entire country is looking out for our faces. Not to mention our team is still separated and we have no idea what kind of resources they have at their disposal.”

“Yeah yeah, I know,” Yusuke muttered. “I just hate sitting on my ass like this.”

“We’ll think of something, Urameshi. We always do,” Kuwabara chimed in optimistically.

“I hope s-”

Fox.

Kurama blinked at the interruption of Hiei’s voice in his head. The others looked at him questioningly when he didn’t finish his sentence, but he merely shook his head.

Hiei, the fox acknowledged.

Where are you?

Underground. Yusuke, Kuwabara, and Botan are here as well. We’re safe for now. What about you?

The old hag’s temple. We’re surrounded but holding up a barrier
.

How much longer will it hold? Kurama immediately demanded.

A day at most. The fire demon sounded tense.

But you need to move before that. All of you.

Exactly.

Kurama looked up at Maya. “How many hideouts do you have in the city?”

Maya blinked. “Four, including this one.”

“That could work.”

What are you planning, fox? Hiei demanded.

“What’s up, Kurama?” Yusuke asked, lost as he had not been able to hear the conversation between the two demons.

“Hiei and the others need to move in the next day. And since there are nine of them there...”

“They can divide among the hideouts,” Maya finished with an approving nod.

“Leaving the temple at staggered times,” Kurama finished.

That’s all well and good, but how are we supposed to find these hideouts?

“Maya, can you have guides meet some friends of ours and lead them to the different hideouts?” the red-head asked, mind spinning as the plan took shape.

“Easily,” she replied.

Kurama nodded. That’s how.

And we can trust these people?

Yes.

Why the pause?
Damn, Hiei would notice a slight pause like that.

We can trust them, Hiei.

Whatever. How soon can we start?

“How soon can we start?” Kurama asked Maya.

She frowned thoughtfully. “Give me an hour to get in touch with the other groups.”

Can you be ready in an hour?
Hn.

That’s a yes, then.

I’ll be in touch in an hour. You better be ready.

With that last cranky word, the connection was cut. The fire demon was more irritable than usual. Though, Kurama realized, they were all running on short fuses at this point.

“I’ve always hated it when you two do that,” Yusuke grumbled.

Kurama chuckled. “Hiei will be in touch in an hour.”

Maya sighed and rose. “I suppose I’d better get to contacting the others, then.”

*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*

Hiei opened his eyes and immediately sent a surge of energy into the shield as he took control of it once more from Genkai, who had been holding it with Touya while the fire demon contacted Kurama. They hadn’t dared use any other means of communication for fear of the Organization having tapped them. The only way the two groups could communicate then was through telepathy - Hiei’s specialty. But that meant that Hiei had to use power he was using to hold up the barrier, so another energy source was needed to keep it up.

“Well?” Genkai asked, wiping some sweat from her brow. Since she had given up her Spirit Orb to Yusuke those years before, any amount of energy expenditure tired her much more quickly than it once would have.

Hiei related the plan Kurama had come up with to the rest of the group in as few words as possible.

Genkai nodded her approval. “That could work... assuming a lot of things go right.”

Hiei snorted. “Isn’t that always the case?”

“True enough,” Genkai agreed.

“How many per group should we have?” Suzuka asked.

“Two,” Hiei immediately said and everyone turned to him in surprise.

“But we have an odd number,” Yukina piped up, counting the present occupants of the temple.

“I’ll go last,” Hiei replied simply. “I can hold the barrier longest while the rest of you go. And I can use the Jagan to create an illusion that will keep unfriendly eyes from seeing you. I’ll go alone so no one else can slow me down.”

“Eloquently put as usual.” Genkai muttered, “but I agree. Any more would draw unwanted attention.”

“How will we leave?” Yukina asked quietly.

“Out the back,” Hiei replied, tone softening the slightest bit. “The brunt of the guards are out front. Go through the trees if possible.”

“Ripper, we’re done just sitting on our backsides,” Chuu slurred in approval. “About time.”

*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*

An hour had passed almost exactly when Maya returned to the group, Mitari at her back. The three ex-Tantei looked up expectantly.

“It’s all set, just as you directed,” Maya told Kurama.

The fox nodded. “Good.”

Kurama. Hiei’s voice popped into Kurama’s head.

Perfect timing, Hiei. Everything has been arranged.

Do tell.

Every two hours a guide will appear at an appointed spot to meet one of your groups. The first will be ready two hours from now.

How will we recognize them?

You’ll know. They’ll be in a designated spot looking for you.

Where will the first be?

The north-east end of the park at the edge of town. He will meet your party at the edge of the forest. Who is going?

A pause. Yukina and Touya.

Kurama nodded to himself. It would make sense that Touya would be the one Hiei would entrust the safety of his sister to of the group he had to choose from.

Alright, the guide will be on the lookout for them. Once they get to safety, they will contact us. Remember, every two hours, Hiei.
The fire demon mentally snorted. I know, fox. I’ll let you know in two hours who the next pair will be.

Alright.

The connection broke.

Kurama looked up at his expectant friends. “The guide in the park will be meeting Yukina and Touya.”

“Let the games begin,” Yusuke said, slumping back into his chair.

“Indeed.”

*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*

Hiei watched stoically as Touya and Yukina slipped from the room to the garden. Jin and Rinku had volunteered to take over holding the barrier while Hiei used the Jagan to mask Touya’s and Yukina’s escape. The fire demon could sense several guards hovering around the back of the temple, but with the illusion Hiei had created, they would only see the garden. It was up to the two escapees to keep from making any noise that might alert the guards to the deception. But once they left the grounds, it would be up to them to make it to the rendezvous point unseen, which made Hiei nervous. He was going to be tense until he heard from Kurama that Yukina was alright. He didn’t dare risk using more energy on the Jagan to trace her and Touya, as he would need the energy later on.

The leader of the guards had probably noticed a flux in the barrier as new energies took it over, but hopefully she would only the ‘watch’ was changing, so to speak. They would have to keep that in mind when deciding the order to go in when they left as well.

When the two ice apparitions disappeared from Hiei’s view, the fire demon turned back to the remaining group.

“We have two hours to decide who goes next,” he told them.

Genkai folded her arms across her chest. “I’m not leaving until the end. This is my temple.”

“I’ll go wi’ Genkai,” Jin volunteered

“I’ll take Rinku,” Chuu put in.

“What do you mean, ‘take’ me?” the young demon demanded.

“Exactly what it sound like, runt.”

“I can take care of myself, thank you,” Rinku replied sourly, blowing a raspberry in Chuu’s direction.

“Children, can we please stick to the business at hand?” Genkai snapped irritably. “I swear, you can be worse than Yusuke sometimes.”

Hiei snorted in agreement.

“So we have Hiei, me and Jin, Chuu and Rinku, leaving Shishi and Suzuka. What order shall we go in?” Genkai continued. “Hiei is last and Jin and I will leave second to last. That only leaves two options for your two groups.”

“It doesn’t matter,” Shishi droned apathetically.

“Then why don’t you two go next,” Genkai replied.

“That’s fine,” Suzuka replied for his teammate.

“Now that that’s decided,” Genkai began, looking at Hiei.

“We wait,” he finished.

*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*

The hours seemed to crawl by, though after Kurama had informed him that Yukina had reached the safe house unharmed, the time seemed to go by a little more quickly to Hiei. Finally the sun was setting as the fire demon watched Genkai and Jin leave under the protection of his Jagan. When they disappeared from view, Hiei turned back to the barrier.

When Chuu and Rinku had left, Hiei had taken Rinku’s spot over once more holding the barrier. And when Jin and Genkai were preparing to leave, the wind master and fire demon had combined their powers to tie the barrier, using their energies like strings. It was a highly complex move that only succeeded because Hiei had the Jagan to guide the tying, but the important thing was that it had worked and should mask the group’s disappearance at least overnight. By the time it collapsed, everyone would be safely underground.

But something in the back of Hiei’s mind was nagging at him. Something felt off about the while thing, though the fire demon could not quite put a finger on what it was. Pushing his worries aside, the fire demon closed his eyes.

Kurama, he called out mentally once he had sought out the fox’s presence.

Have they left yet? Kurama immediately asked in response.

Yes.
Good. Chuu and Rinku made it here unhindered as well.
The fox paused as if wanting to say something else but deciding not to. It was such a slight pause that anyone who didn’t know Kurama as Hiei did would miss it. Hell, Yusuke probably would have missed it. But Hiei hadn’t.

What’s wrong?

Something about all this feels off,
Kurama replied after a moment. Ah, so he felt it as well.

I agree.

I just can’t put my finger on it,
the fox continued with a worried frown evident in his tone.

I have the same feeling.

But you don’t know either.
It wasn’t a question.

Hiei shook his head, even though the red-head couldn’t see him. No.

I guess we have no choice but to continue with the plan and see what happens,
Kurama said, uneasiness lying in his tone.

Hn. Hiei was in agreement with his friend. They had nothing to go on but a strange feeling and they couldn’t very well stop a plan that was already in progress because of that. It was an uncomfortable position to be in for sure.

Anyway, when you come, Hiei, Mitari will be waiting at the warehouse. There was no need to ask which warehouse. It was the one where Hiei and Yusuke had their first battle and Kurama had saved the Detective’s life. Neither of them had spoken of that night in years, though there were some feelings about it for both parties. He’ll lead you here.

Hn.

Hiei broke the connection. Mitari? The kid that had been one of Sensui’s Seven and had ended up helping them find him anyway? Interesting...

*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*

“Be careful, Mitari,” Maya told the blonde teen.

“Of course,” he replied. “But if worse comes to worse, I still have my power.”

“Hopefully it won’t come to that, though,” Yusuke said.

Mitari nodded. “Hopefully.” Then, pulling up his hood, he left for the warehouse where he would meet Hiei. As the door closed behind the teen, Kurama sighed.
“What is it, Kurama?” Rinku asked, causing the rest of the room to look at him.

“I have... a strange feeling,” he replied. It didn’t help matters that Botan was still refusing to speak with him, not even leaving her room. He had tried to get her to open the door but she had refused. Kurama had decided it wasn’t the time to deal with the problem with everything else that was going on, so he had let her be for the time being.

“What kind of feeling?” Yusuke asked.

“I can’t put my finger on it.”

“It’s almost over, though,” Kuwabara put in.

“That means there is still time for something to go wrong,” Maya grumbled.

“Way to be optimistic, shiela,” Chuu snorted.

“Realism and optimism have nothing to do with each other.”

“It doesn’t matter,” Kurama interrupted. “It’s just a feeling, nothing more. I’ll rest easier once Mitari and Hiei return.”

“I think we all will,” Maya said.

Kurama sighed. “All that’s left to do is wait.”

*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*

Mitari started when Hiei dropped down next to him.

“H-Hiei,” the blonde stuttered.

“Hn,” the fire demon grunted in return, acknowledging his guide’s presence.

“I guess... we should go then.” At Hiei’s curt nod, he continued. “Since it’s night it should be easy to stick to the shadows. We should make the trip unhindered.”

Hiei appraised the blonde for a moment. “Let’s go then.”

*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*

We’re on the way, Hiei told Kurama.

Kurama sighed in relief. We’ll be waiting.

Silence.

Too soft? Kurama asked.

Hn.

The fox chuckled. Just don’t get caught.

Yeah yeah.

Kurama looked back up at his friends as Hiei broke the connection. “They’re on their way back.”

Yusuke sighed in relief. “Good.”

The group looked at each other, suddenly not sure of what to say.

“There’s something I’ve been wondering,” Kuwabara said after a few minutes. “I thought there were supposed to be a bunch of humans and demons at all these hideouts. So why haven’t we seen anyone but Maya and Mitari?”

Kurama blinked. Come to think of it, he hadn’t seen anyone but those two either.

“There are other humans and demons here,” Maya replied. “But when I decided I wanted to help Suui-Kurama, the demons said they didn’t want to deal with a traitor and the few humans were just nervous about the prospect of such a powerful demon coming that they hid away. They’ve all been avoiding being seen by you guys, for their own reasons.” Maya laughed. “And now that the entire former Reikai Tantei team will soon be here, there’s no way they’re going to want to be seen.”

“That’s real mature,” Yusuke muttered.

“You are hardly a standard for maturity, Yusuke,” Kurama teased.

Yusuke glowered. “Funny.”

“Let the blokes be,” Chuu broke in. “It doesn’t matter to us.”

“For once, I agree with Chuu,” Rinku added. “There is more important stuff to deal with right now.”

Before anyone could say anything else, three loud knocks were heard before the front door opened. Mitari stepped in, followed by Hiei. A huge sigh of relief was let out by all those in the room.

“Mission accomplished,” Mitari said proudly, closing the door.
Then why won’t the uneasy feeling subside? Kurama wondered. It was very disconcerting.

Suddenly, three more loud knocks were heard on the door. Everyone froze. Maya looked over at Mitari.

“There is no one else out tonight,” Maya said slowly. “Mitari, don’t answer that door!”

Before the blonde could respond, the door crashed open and Mitari was sent flying across the room. He hit his head painfully against the wall and crumpled.

“Rebels, we know you’re in there!” a call came from the outside. “Come out and surrender peacefully and no one will be harmed.”

“Too late,” Maya called out angrily as she ran over to check the pulse of the fallen teen. “He’s alright,” she told the others. “Just knocked out.”

“Surrender the Reikai Tantei and no one else will be harmed,” the man outside called. “There is no need for blood to be spilled this night!”

“You started it,” Kuwabara yelled.

“No one is surrendering,” Maya called, rising.

“How did they know?” Rinku asked quietly.

“We must have been followed,” Hiei growled.

Something clicked in Kurama’s mind. “They must have seen us meet with Yusuke and Kuwabara.”

“How?”

“They must have been monitoring Keiko’s house after all.”

“So they saw us drop off the girls?” Yusuke asked, suddenly pale.

“They must have, but the ex-Tantei have been their target so let them go. So when we met up with you, they must have been expecting us to make contact with Hiei as well,” Kurama realized.

“And they let us leave Genkai’s, waiting for all of us to be in one convenient place all at once,” Hiei growled.

“Well played,” Kurama admitted grudgingly.

“We can’t let them come in here to fight,” Mitari said with a groan as he sat up dizzily from the wall. “There are civilians here. Kids.”

Yusuke’s eyes widened before turning to Kurama. “I think bringing the battle to them is the best option now, don’t you?”

“Yes, Yusuke,” Kurama agreed, amused somewhere deep down. “I believe you’re right.” He turned to Maya. “If any of the other demons get involved, don’t let them kill. It will only prove to the Organization that we’re as bad as they’re saying.”

Maya nodded.

“Try to keep the innocents safe,” the fox added. “Leave the rest to us.”

Maya opened her mouth like she was going to object, but Kurama cut her off.

“This used to be our job. We know what we’re doing,” he told her, attempting to keep his tone reassuring.

“Yeah,” Yusuke added. “We didn’t get a rep for nothing after all. Trust us.”

“Then go,” Maya said softly.

Kurama nodded and the former Tantei headed cautiously for the door.

Hiei closed his eyes and the Jagan began to glow. After a moment, he opened his eyes. “We’re outnumbered,” he said simply.

Yusuke blinked. “By how many?”

“A lot.”

“We’ve done big numbers before,” Kuwabara said.

“Not this big,” Hiei replied.

“There’s a first time for everything,” Yusuke said, eyes glinting in anticipating of battle.

“Remember, no killing,” Kurama reminded the group, though it was mostly aimed at Hiei. “We just need them to withdraw.”

“Ripper,” came a drawling voice and the ex-Tantei started when they saw Chuu and Rinku behind them.

“Why are you so surprised?” Rinku asked. “Forget we were here?”

“Something like that,” Kurama replied uncomfortably. Yes, actually. Though I admit two more are definitely welcome.

“Let’s go before they come in,” Yusuke said anxiously.

“Careful,” Kurama told him. “Watch the tranquilizers.”

“Got it.” The former head detective stepped through the doorway and immediately the sounds of punching and falling bodies reached the others’ ears. It seems the Organization was beginning it’s charge.

The other five stepped through the doorway and looked up the steps to see close to a hundred soldiers waiting.

“Damn,” Chuu whistled. “This should be interesting.”

Kurama reached into his hair for a seed as he heard Hiei unsheathe his blade and Rinku pull out his yo-yos. Chuu cracked his knuckles in anticipation and Kuwabara’s Spirit Sword appeared glowing in his hands. Yusuke stood at the top of the steps, fists up and aura flared for battle.

“Sorry guys, can’t let you come any further,” he said.

*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*

Loud crashing sounds woke Botan up from a fitful slumber. She jolted upright at the familiar cacophony - a fight. And by the sound of it, a large one at that. Pulling her long hair quickly up into a messy ponytail, Botan rose and slid the door open. She looked out into the hall and a black-haired blur rushed by. Botan started.

“Maya!” she called after the blur.

Maya stopped and looked back at the ferry girl.

“What’s going on?” she asked as a loud crash sounded above. As much as the deity did not want to speak to Maya, she was more concerned about what was happening.

“The Organization found us,” Maya replied curtly. “The guys are up there keeping them at bay.”

Botan’s eyes widened. “How many?”

“About a hundred... to six.”

Botan paled. Kurama... Any ill feelings she had been holding toward the fox melted away as memories of her dream from those months ago resurfaced.

“Oh no.” With no other thought in her mind but to get to the ex-Tantei, the ferry girl dashed out of the small room past Maya down the hall to the door at the end, an oar appearing in her hand.

I’ve got to get there... I’ve got to know...

“Botan, wait!” Maya called. “Don’t!”


But the deity did not hear her. It didn’t matter. The deity was so concerned with getting to the battle that she didn’t noticed Maya following her.

Bursting through the side door, Botan was immediately greeted with the sights and sounds of battle. Not able to see her friends, Botan mounted her aor and rose above the battle. In the midst of the fray she saw six familiar figures fighting off the masses of blue coats bravely. Yusuke’s and Chuu’s fists were taking down guard after guard that dared approach them. Rinku’s yo-yos felled blue coats as did Kuwabara’s Spirit Sword, which flashed in barely visible blurs of light. Hiei’s sword moved in blinding patterns that felled guards in an amazingly bloodless manner. And Kurama’s Rose Whip whirled and lashed expertly and blue coats fell from all sides. But amazingly, the grim reaper sensed no death amongst the battle.

A sudden breeze whooshed by Botan’s face and she blinked, her oar bobbing unsteadily. She looked down to see several guards looking up at her, one gun pointing at her, several more being loaded. Her eyes widened in surprised when she realized she had been seen.

“Up there!” a blue coat called. “The boss wants her too!”

The boss?

Another breeze blew by her and a whooshing sound reached her ears as the dart almost hit her. Looking down, she saw several more guns being cocked and aimed at her. Deciding sitting still was not the best move to make in this situation, Botan dropped down twenty feet, which forced the snipers to change their sightings.

However, it seemed others had been waiting for her to move and were already aiming at the deity. Botan froze as the triggers were pulled.

There’s no way I’ll get out of the way in time, she thought desperately.

She could hear the darts approaching and could see the moonlight glinting off their sharp points. She braced herself for impact when she felt arms grab around her. She felt the body tense as the darts hit her savior instead. The ferry girl felt the grip on her loosen as they both began to fall.

“Yusuke!” Kurama’s voice called out from behind her. Botan opened her eyes and realized her savior was the fox. She felt the red-head’s arms release entirely.

“Kurama!” the ferry girl cried out as the red-head fell toward the ground, unconcerned that she too was falling. She watched as the red-head worked to right himself as he fell. He landed shakily on his feet and Botan sighed in relief... until she realized she was still falling. Her voice caught in her throat as she sailed toward the ground.

Kurama looked up, his emerald eyes slightly clouded as the many tranquilizers he had taken to protect Botan began to take their effect. Emerald met amethyst and Botan suddenly realized what he intended.

“Kurama, no!” the deity cried as she felt herself fall into another pair of strong arms.

“Botan, it’s okay,” Yusuke said from above her. Botan looked up into Yusuke’s chocolate brown eyes.

“But Kurama...” Botan trailed off as Yusuke set her on her feet.

“What’s going on?” Kuwabara asked over Yusuke’s shoulder.

Hiei, Chuu, and Rinku joined the group as the remaining blue coats turned toward the unsteady red-head, like a predator turning to its wounded prey.

“He’s giving himself up so we can escape,” Hiei said softly.

“What?” Kuwabara exclaimed. “He can’t!”

Yusuke swallowed. “We have no choice. We’d never make it out of here if he didn’t.”

“But he’s our friend and teammate!” Kuwabara growled.

A break in the masses of blue coats revealed Kurama holding his whip and looking directly at his friends. His green eyes pleaded with them to go.

Kurama...

Botan, please go.

“They’ll take him,” Rinku whispered.

“And we’ll get him back,” Yusuke replied, obviously struggling with the decision of leaving his friend to fall.

“It will be an insult to his sacrifice if we don’t go,” Hiei hissed. He was obviously having a hard time with leaving his best friend as well.

“Yusuke.” Everyone turned to see Maya standing behind them. “We must go! The others have gone.” Silent tears were forming in her eyes as well, but she obviously knew what needed to be done.

Botan spared one last look for the surrounded red-head before Yusuke grabbed her hand.

“Let’s go.”

She could have sworn the fox smiled before she was dragged away while the Organization was preoccupied.

*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*

Kurama smiled in relief as Yusuke grabbed Botan’s arm and pulled her away. Thank you, Yusuke. Keep her safe. Keep yourselves safe.

His vision spin as the tranquilizers began to wear on him.

“You want the Reikai Tantei?” he growled at his enemies. “Well, one of us stands here before you. Come and get me.”

“Don’t worry, fox. We will.”

Kurama lashed out with his whip, missing his opponents as his vision spin. He had taken enough tranquilizer while protecting Botan to take down even a superior A-class demon. He was going down quickly... He dropped to a knee and dropped his whip. That his friends were safe was all that mattered.

The last thing he saw was approaching blue coats with collars as his vision faded into blackness...

*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*

Author’s Note: I’m so sorry it took this long for me to update, but once again, real life has taken precedence over my fics. I hope the length of this chapter made up for the delay, though. I hope you liked. You got this far, why not take a few seconds and hit the little button and submit a review. They are really motivating. Tell me you loved it, tell me you hated it, but tell me something!