Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Forever Fornever Tantei ❯ In Which It Begins ( Chapter 28 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note: Major apologies for taking six months to update this, but my schedule just didn't allow for writing. But the semester is over, softball is done for the season, and I have more free time now to write. So yes, I'm still alive and this story is kicking. Don't forget, this story has to be finished as the sequel has already been started. I turned 21 last week, so here is my birthday present to you, my wonderful readers. Please leave me a review and let me know you're still sticking with me!
Review Responses: w w w . d e a d j o u r n a l . c o m / u s e r s / c h i p p e r l u v a 1 0
Disclaimer: I do not own Yu Yu Hakusho. I am not making any money from writing this. But don't steal my plotline, thankies!
-----
Chapter 28
In Which It Begins
-----
The following day was spent preparing for the approaching battle; the battle that would determine the fate of three worlds. Though the former Tantei had fought battles with similar stakes before, their defeat in this particular battle meant so much more. They were all so much more powerful than ever before, so for them to lose would cause much more damage than any battle they might have lost during their years as humanity's protectors. It occurred to them all that it was ironic that the greatest threat would appear after they had semi-retired from the Tantei business.
The day seemed to go by in a combination of agonizing slowness and incomprehensible alacrity. Yusuke spent hours pacing irritably around the base. He finally managed to convince Maya to call around to the various bases in the city until he found Keiko so he could speak to her for a few moments. He had no intention of losing this fight, but things happened, and battles rarely went just as planned. He had learned that lesson all too well in the past.
Since Shizuru was at the same base as Keiko, Kuwabara took the opportunity to speak to his sister as well. And as much as he wanted to speak to Yukina, he didn't ask Maya to call around to find the ice maiden. Shizuru promised they would get in touch with her for him. Otherwise, Kuwabara sat on the couch next to Kurama for most of the day, trying to go over the documents one final time with the red-head, but was unable to concentrate so ended up being very little help.
With Kuwabara to distract him from attempting to go over the stolen documents again—not that he had been getting much done anyway—Kurama finally gave up and went wandering idly around the base, needing to rid himself of his anxious energy. Without realizing it, his feet had taken him to Hiei's location. The fire demon was perched on a ragged sofa in an otherwise empty room. He looked up at Kurama's entrance and nodded silently at his friend. Kurama nodded in return and took a seat next to the fire demon. They sat in companionable silence for a time. Finally it was Hiei, surprisingly, who broke the silence.
“Are you up to full strength?”
Kurama looked up in mild surprise at the question. He shrugged and took a quick survey of his energy capacity. “Eighty-five percent at most,” he answered with a slight sigh. His energy recovery hadn't been as quick as he'd hoped. He'd thought he'd be at least back to ninety or ninety-five percent by now. It seemed the damage to his system had been worse than he'd initially thought.
“Is that going to be enough?”
“Does it matter? We have to use whatever we have available. I make no excuses,” the fox retorted.
Hiei grunted in response, and the two fell into silence once more.
“What are our chances?” Kurama whispered after some time. His voice was so quiet that even Hiei's strong hearing had to strain to pick up his words.
“Does it matter?” the fire demon asked, echoing his friend's previous retort.
Kurama's lip twitched. “I suppose you're right.” He leaned his head back against the sofa and stared up at the ceiling. “We've never gone into a fight where our chances were good, have we? We seem to perform better as the underdogs.”
“Then we should be fine.”
The red-head looked over at Hiei, who was studying him with his disconcerting ruby eyes. Kurama's own emerald met them, and they stared at each other for several unblinking moments before looking away at the same time. They chuckled to themselves.
“Yes, we should be fine,” Kurama repeated quietly, wishing he could believe the words.
-----
The next morning found the group assembling long before dawn in the make-shift command central. No one could actually get any sleep as it was.
There was uncomfortable silence on the air as the group members slowly found their way to the room. Kurama and Botan had been the first to arrive with Hiei, Yusuke, and Genkai following, all within a few minutes of each other. Maya and Mitari had followed not long after. Touya and Jin joined the silent group next, trailed by Rinku and Chuu. Kuwabara entered last, on the heels of Shishi and Suzuka. They had half an hour before dawn. For a time, the collected group milled around, looking at each other. Each had their own thoughts, but many wondered if this would be the last time some would see each other. Though no warrior likes giving voice to a fear of losing—of dying—that fear remains, an unspoken bond between friend and foe.
Yusuke was the one to finally break the oppressive silence. “Well, if we want to make our grand appearance at sun up, we should probably get going.”
The group collectively nodded, murmuring inaudibly. Yusuke frowned, looking around the room at his friends. For a group of fierce warriors renowned in all three worlds, they seemed uncharacteristically nervous.
“Don't tell me you guys are scared?”
“What are you talking about?” Shishi demanded irritably.
“Are you always this quiet before a big fight?” challenged Yusuke in turn.
“We're preparing ourselves,” Touya replied reasonably.
“We've been preparing for months, ever since this began,” the ex-head Detective countered. “There's no more `preparing' to do.”
“Urameshi's right,” Kuwabara piped up. “This is the big one, the one that matters. We know why we're fighting. We know how to fight. It's just a matter of doing it. And it's what we do best.”
A few grins broke out in the room, and the oppressive atmosphere began to lift. Yusuke nodded his thanks to his best friend. Kuwabara gave him a thumbs up in return. Somehow, Yusuke felt that all together, there wasn't anything they couldn't accomplish.
“We have enough earpieces for the groups we've decided on,” Maya spoke up. “Mitari, Botan, and I will be here monitoring things as long as we can… well, as long as we need to.”
Mitari passed out earpieces to the selected individuals: Touya, Rinku, Suzuka, and Genkai. If nothing else, they should be helpful on their approach to the base. Once the entered, they planned to wreak as much havoc as possible to catch Ichigaki off-guard. If everything went well—which it never did, but that known fact was always taken into account—they should be in and out, victorious before mid-afternoon, rarely needing the equipment they had at their disposal.
Yusuke looked around at the assembled group of fighters and nodded confidently. “If I had us as enemies, I'd be pretty damn scared at this point.”
“So let's show the ugly troll doctor why you don't mess with the best,” Rinku said, chest swelling proudly at both the praise and the company he was in.
“The kid's got the idea,” Yusuke agreed. He liked that attitude. They needed confidence, swagger after being held down so long.
“Remember, if nothing else goes according to plan,” Genkai began.
“Which it won't,” Hiei snorted from his perch across the room.
Genkai glared at the fire demon but continued as if there had been no interruption. “Make sure you stick together with your group. Nothing will make us more vulnerable than separating.”
“We know, Granny,” Yusuke said with a wave of his hand, and was rewarded with a smack to the back of his head. He grumbled to himself, but a small smile threatened to break through. Yusuke was anticipating a fight—a good one, one to protect everyone—and that pumped him up.
“Stay together,” Genkai repeated, and everyone nodded their understanding.
“And with that, shall we?” Kurama prompted, speaking for the first time that morning.
Everyone looked at Kurama, looked at each other, and visibly steeled themselves. It was game time. Yusuke headed to the door and after swallowing, opened it.
Botan grabbed Kurama's arm before he could follow his allies to the exit. “Be careful.”
“Always.”
Botan frowned in disbelief and the fox relented. “I will, I promise.”
“You're not at full strength.”
“I have the others,” Kurama pointed out. “Things will work out.”
“I hope so. I love you.” Amethyst orbs brimmed with tears as she watched her friends and lover ready to fight to the death against the worst odds they had faced yet. If she hadn't been a spirit herself, Botan would have prayed to someone, anyone, to keep her loved ones safe.
“I love you, too,” Kurama whispered.
Botan stood up on her tip toes and kissed the fox. Part of her hoped he wouldn't break it, that he would just stay here with her. He had done enough, suffered enough, already. They all had. So she wanted to break down when Kurama gently ended the kiss and stepped back.
“I'll do whatever it takes to make it back to you, I promise,” he swore.
“You better, I have connections,” the ferry girl whispered in a strained voice, though she tried to smile at her weak joke.
Kurama chuckled at her attempt at humor, and Botan thought it was the best, warmest sound she had ever heard. “I will.”
Botan nodded and let go of his arm. He gave her a heart-wrenchingly beautiful smile before turning to follow his companions. Yusuke was waiting at the door. The fox and ex-Detective shared a nod before the former stepped outside. Yusuke turned to Botan.
“I'll take care of him, Botan.” It won't happen again.
Yusuke was still torn up about losing Kurama the first time, so Botan understood the depth of his promise. Enemies didn't mess with the Spirit Detective's friends and live to tell about it. This was common knowledge in the underworld. Botan nodded her thanks.
“Take care of yourself while you're at it.”
“Getting sick of taking me to Spirit World?” he asked with a wry smirk.
“Excessively,” the blue-haired girl replied with a smile.
“I'll see what I can do,” Yusuke agreed with a wink before heading out the door and closing it behind him.
Botan swallowed and wrapped her arms around herself, feeling suddenly cold. She felt a pair of hands on her shoulders and looked over to see Maya lending her support. Only then did Botan realize that Maya was undoubtedly worried about Kurama as well. Maya had loved him first, after all.
“I'm sorry, this must be hard on you as well,” the ferry girl apologized. After everything they had been through together, Botan couldn't hate the woman anymore. “Here I am feeling sorry for myself, not thinking about anyone else.”
Maya shook her head. “No, it's kind of you to think of me. I've already accepted that what he and I had is in the past, and nothing will come of it. I will just love him from afar, and help the best I can. Help them all the best I can. I've rather grown to like you all,” she finished with a smile.
“Yes, that tends to happen when you get mixed up with them,” Mitari agreed with a smile of his own. “But you also come to see that even when everything seems impossible, they find a way to make things happen.” There was a far away look in Mitari's eye, and Botan could tell the blonde was thinking back to Sensui. That seemed so long ago now.
Botan wiped the tears from her eyes and set her shoulders. “For now we just do what we can for them.”
“And hope,” Maya whispered, likely not meaning to say it out loud.
“And hope,” Botan echoed quietly.
-----
As the eclectic group of human and demons stole silently through the streets of the sleeping city, the sounds of the approaching day sprang to life. The early birds belted out their morning songs as the sky lightened with the forthcoming dawn. The pleasant, normal, natural sounds belied the situation of the city—of the world. It didn't seem possible that so much violence and hatred could occur while the birds sang so beautifully. It didn't seem an appropriate soundtrack to the deed the silent shadows aimed to perform either.
The first rays of sunlight began spilling over the horizon when Yusuke, who was heading the group, skidded to a sudden halt. As they had turned a corner, they had come across a roadblock in the form of a person—three people, actually. The ex-Tantei, as they were in the lead, blinked in recognition.
“Kaito, Kido, Yana,” Kurama greeted as the first one to find his voice. “What are you doing here?”
“We've come to help,” Kaito replied simply. Genkai crossed her arms with a frown. On the other end of her earpiece she could hear Botan quietly explaining to the other two who these three were.
“Help?” Kuwabara repeated dubiously.
“Help,” Kido confirmed. “Today is the day you guys take on the Organization, and we want to make sure they go down.”
“We're sick of sitting on the sidelines, afraid of being captured at any time for what we can do,” Kaito elaborated. “We might not be as strong as you are, but we have our own powers.”
“Please let us do whatever we can,” Yana added.
“Who are these guys?” Touya asked Kurama quietly. While he had heard Botan's explanation through his own earpiece, he just needed to hear it spoken from one of the ex-Tantei to confirm it. The three humans seemed quite out of place, after all.
Kurama smiled. “Psychics. Trained by Genkai to use their powers.”
“Can they fight?” Chuu asked, eyeing them suspiciously. He hadn't heard the explanation from their base.
Genkai shook her head, joining in the conversation. “Not with fists, but they have their ways.”
“I dunno,” Yusuke said. “I don't want you guys to get hurt.”
“We'll be hurt no matter what,” countered Kido. “We're psychics, demon sympathizers, having helped you guys once already. I'd rather do my part helping you than sitting by and waiting.”
“Even the smallest thing can tip the scale,” Kaito continued, echoing a sentiment Kurama constantly reiterated to his younger teammates.
“I—” Yusuke began, but Kurama cut him off by grabbing his arm.
“I think we should let them help,” the fox said in a hushed voice.
“But they're not fighters, Kurama. They could be killed!”
“So could we, and we are fighters. They want to help. You have to respect that. And they have unusual powers. If nothing else, that would catch Ichigaki off-guard. Catch some of our enemies in one of their territories and they won't know what hit them,” Kurama argued. And, as Kurama was the tactical master of the team, Yusuke couldn't argue the point.
“But still, physically they're vulnerable,” Yusuke pointed out instead.
“Pair them with the others. They can watch them and all back each other up.”
Yusuke pursed his lips but finally nodded, seeing the fox's logic. “Alright, you guys can help. These guys back here,” he said, indicating the group of demons behind the former Tantei, “will watch your backs. Make sure you watch theirs in return.”
“Thank you, Urameshi!” Kido grinned. “You won't regret it.”
“I hope not,” he muttered. “Anyway, let's get going.”
They continued through the streets and alleys, though their pace had slowed to accommodate their new additions. A few more blocks down and they were greeted by another human roadblock. Yusuke's eyes went wide when he saw who it was.
“Amanuma?”
“A kid?” Suzuka exclaimed in shock. “What the hell?” On the other end of his ear piece he could hear Botan and Mitari both gasping in surprise. Maya subsequently demanded an explanation, and Mitari gave the human girl a quick recap of the boy's story, both for the benefit of Maya and for those with the earpieces that didn't know about Game Master.
“Watch it on the kid-bashing,” Rinku grumbled. Chuu ruffled his hair affectionately.
“What are you doing here, Amanuma?” Kurama asked, his voice mildly strained at the sight of the boy he had killed. Only his closest friends noticed the slight change in tone.
“I'm here to help, duh!” Amanuma replied cheerfully.
“You too, huh?” Kuwabara muttered.
“Amanuma—” Genkai began, but the boy cut her off, tone turning serious.
“I know you guys think I'm too young to help, and that my powers are no good for this. But I've been training. I can help. I want to help.” He swallowed. “And I'm afraid of getting caught if they ever find out about Mr. Sensui and the Seven. I'm afraid of losing the friends I've made now because of it. And I'm afraid that things are gonna get real bad if you guys lose. Please, let me do something to help.”
The group exchanged looks, and Amanuma picked up on it. “Please! I… I want to repay the favor.”
“Favor?” Yusuke asked in surprise. He couldn't remember doing Game Master, of all people, any favors.
“Yeah. You made me realize how stupid I was. When I came back,” he paused and Kurama stiffened slightly next to Yusuke, “I realized that Mr. Sensui used me, used my stupid kid attitude. So I started working hard at school and made friends. I… I'm happy. I'm happy you guys saved the world. And me.”
Out of the corner of his eye, Yusuke noticed Kurama's face had gone a shade lighter as the boy spoke. Yes, definitely still a sore spot for the red-head. Obviously he didn't consider killing a young child `saving' him, but things ended up for the best it seemed. And now the boy wanted to make things right. There was definitely something to respect in that.
“Amanuma, do you realize the danger?” the fox asked quietly.
The boy gave him an even look. “Yes. I tried to stop you guys from saving the world once because I was stupid. Now I know better. I want to make things right—not just for me, but for everyone.”
Kurama nodded and Yusuke shrugged. “Fine, you can help. Just join the rest of the tagalongs here and we'll get moving again.” Yusuke looked up at the sky and sighed. The sun was steadily rising above the horizon, and bright hues of orange and purple and pink colored the early sky. “So much for dawn.”
“But we have new allies at the price of a few minutes,” Genaki pointed out to her student. “I'd say the trade is worth it.”
“I guess you're right,” Yusuke agreed, watching Amanuma and Rinku shaking hands. Now there's a pair. “But if we don't hurry, we'll lose the element of surprise.”
“Thinking strategically, Yusuke?” Kurama asked with a small smile.
Yusuke glared at the red-head. “I have my moments.”
Kurama's smile transformed into a grin—one of the few Yusuke had seen on the red-head's face since his rescue. He only hoped it wouldn't be one of the last. “Indeed you do,” he acknowledged.
The former head Detective couldn't help but smile back at his fox friend. The feeling of familiar banter between teammates before a battle was nostalgic, comforting. Things that once seemed out of reach now seemed possible with them together.
“Well, are we going or what?” Hiei groused.
Yusuke's smiled widened slightly but he nodded. The group continued moving through the streets. Though the sun had crested the horizon, the city remained quiet. They saw few cars and no pedestrians. Shops that normally would be opening remained dark. It was as if they were walking through a ghost town.
“What's going on? Shouldn't we have seen someone by now?” Kuwabara finally demanded in a hushed voice, as if he was afraid to wake up a sleeping beast.
“The Organization ordered the city to be shut down today,” a new voice replied. “No exceptions on the punishment of being considered a demon sympathizer.”
“Oh, well that's stu—Wait, who said that?” the orange-haired teen began, cutting himself off.
The entire group came to a complete halt as two men stepped out of the shadows in front of them. Several gasps of recognition echoed through the alley they had stopped in as well as through the earpieces.
“Sniper,” Hiei hissed. Obviously he thought he had finished the man off back in the woods.
“Doctor,” Genkai said with a nod. He had escaped among the confusion of Sensui's defeat and evaded the notice of even Spirit World, and yet here he was.
“At your service,” Doctor Kamiya replied. He had been the one to speak in the first place.
Yusuke tensed in spite of himself. Doctor's had been the first human life he had taken (if not the last in the Sensui case), though Genkai had revived him after his defeat. It wasn't something Yusuke liked to think about.
“And why are you here?” Yusuke asked, wondering if he actually wanted to hear the answer. These two men were not quite mentally stable in their interactions in the past.
“To offer our help,” Sniper replied simply.
“We've both been forced underground because of our powers,” Doctor elaborated. No one felt the need to add that they had both been underground already to avoid Spirit World's punishment for their crimes. “Though we've been on opposing sides before,” Kuwabara snorted but Doctor continued, “we're on the same side against the Organization.”
“Your help would be greatly appreciated,” Kurama accepted at once.
“Kurama!” Yusuke and Kuwabara both exclaimed in surprise.
The fox raised a questioning eyebrow. “They were two of Sensui's best fighters. Unlike the others, they can watch themselves. The more power we have, the better our chances.”
“I know,” replied Yusuke hesitantly. “It's just…”
“Don't mistake us,” Sniper spoke up. “We're not looking to join your little gang. We just don't like the Organization. You are their greatest threat. Thus, our interests coincide.”
Yusuke frowned but realized this decision was a no-brainer. “Great. We work together to take Ichigaki down and then avoid each other for the rest of our lives.”
The two rogue psychics nodded their agreement and fell into step with the group of rebels preparing to fight the system.
“What did you say about the Organization shutting down the city?” Kurama asked suddenly. He was frowning thoughtfully.
“That's the reason the city has become a ghost town,” Doctor replied. “The Organization ordered everyone to remain home today, like some kind of national holiday, because of the battle. They claimed it was for everyone's safety, but they just want a bigger audience for their great victory.”
“Too bad they'll be disappointed,” Kuwabara said.
“Still, something isn't right about this,” Kurama murmured.
“Ichigaki wants everyone to watch us slaughtered, and you think something isn't right?” Shishi drawled sarcastically.
Kurama fixed the blue-haired demon with a long stare before speaking. “That's not what I meant.” Shishi hmphed but remained silent. “This seems like something Ichigaki would do, wanting everyone to witness his victory. Something else seems off, and I can't put my finger on it.”
“We'll jus' have ta proceed with caution,” Jin said with a shrug. Ninja operations were, by definition, cautious, directed in the shadows, after all.
Kurama nodded, a trace of a frown still on his face as he turned to Yusuke. The raven-haired teen had long since learned to heed Kurama's instincts so was struck with a need to be careful, prepared for whatever they might meet.
“Let's go then.”
The final stretch of the trip was made in silence. The sun was steadily climbing in the sky, but the streets were deserted, and windows were dark. As they stole through the streets and alleys, each human and demon alike felt the hair on the back of their necks rising. It felt like they were being watched. And with no light coming from any stores or homes, there was no telling where the sensation originated from.
Apprehension gnawed at Yusuke's insides the closer they came to the Organization's headquarters. And he didn't think it was only from Kurama's concern. The mood of the motley collection had had gathered was somber; they all had picked up on it as well. Every shadow seemed a potential enemy, every bird song a call to their foes warning of their approach. Yusuke half-expected people in blue coats to jump out from windows as they passed by.
The scene that greeted them as they turned the final corner, however, was not what any of them had expected.
The block leading to the Organizations' headquarters' front entrance was lined on both sides by men and women in blue coats. At the front door, Ichigaki stood, flanked by Risho. Cameras were set up from various viewpoints. A spotlight seemed to descend on the group as they stood in silent shock at the welcome.
“So much for the element of surprise,” Hiei comment dryly.
“Welcome Rekai Tantei and friends,” Ichigaki said ceremoniously. Yusuke suddenly felt eerily like a human (well, half-human) sacrifice. It was not a pleasant feeling. “As promised, you have been granted safe passage. Now, shall we begin?”
-----
In a scene never before witnessed in Spirit World, the four most powerful demon leaders stood in the Prince of the Spirit World's office. All five parties were grim as they looked (or in Yomi's case, listened) at the screen Koenma used to follow his Tantei. Only this time, Koenma had tapped into a human television channel. They were all showing the same thing in Japan.
On the screen, the former Tantei, as well as some previous allies and enemies, stood in surprise as Ichigaki greeted them. This was not a good sign.
“Our armies have gathered as you requested, Koenma,” Enki said quietly, never taking his eyes from the screen.
“If our boys fail, then we will need them,” Koenma replied in a whisper. “Let us hope we shall not.”
-----