Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Found ❯ Found ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Found

by Rose Thorne

Disclaimer: Yu Yu Hakusho is the property of Studio Perriot, TV Tokyo, Yoshihiro Togashi, et al.


He hadn’t expected to wake up at all, though it made more sense to wake up in the ferry-girl’s possession. That he was alive was mildly surprising, and judging by the bandages in her hands, likely because of her intervention.

He hadn’t known they were allowed to intervene, but the fact that she was tending to his injuries indicated otherwise.

“You know, Hiei, you don’t have to die to get my attention.”

He glared at her. “I never wanted your damn attention.”

“Too bad! You have it.” He was mildly surprised that her bubbly attitude had evaporated. “Why do you keep putting yourself in danger like this?”

When Hiei didn’t bother answering, she wrapped his injuries even tighter until he grunted in pain. “Danger tends to find me.”

“Only because you court it!” She tied off the bandage and sighed. “Honestly, Hiei… If Koenma finds out that I intercepted the order and didn’t take your soul, I’m in big trouble. I can’t keep bailing you out.”

That startled him. She was violating all rules in protecting him from fate. He hadn’t wanted, or expected, charity of that caliber. That she had apparently done it before… He’d been near death so many times in the last several years. Surely she hadn’t saved him that many times!

“Never asked you to,” he muttered, frowning.

“No,” she snapped. “You’ve never asked me for help. You’ve never asked anyone for help. I doubt it even occurs to you that someone might care if you got yourself killed.”

It hadn’t, and for good reason. Even as part of the Reikai Tantei, he’d never really belonged. It had been enough, for a while, that Yuusuke trusted him, but they’d had a camaraderie that he’d never been able to really join. It felt forced when they’d tried to include him.

He’d spent plenty of time trying to puzzle it out, trying to understand what prevented him from fitting in. It was deeper than just his demon heritage if a youko could fit in—deceivers though they were. Their happiness even in times of trouble was foreign to him. He could understand the determination to survive, and even strength in the role of protector. But they managed to banter and smile in the darkest of hours when all seemed lost.

It was foreign to him.

“Why?” he finally asked heavily.

Botan brushed a hand through his hair, a gesture he found oddly comforting, before she answered.

You don’t have to be alone.”

The whisper was filled with promises he’d never expected to hear directed at him. Botan leaned down over him. As their lips touched he knew that whatever it was that he was missing, she would help him find it.

Maybe she was the one who had been missing.


Decided to expand my horizons a bit. Enjoy!
Converting /tmp/phpD0fdNv to /dev/stdout