Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Free My Soul ❯ Sacrifice ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Free My Soul: A Suicide Tale

Legal Blah: YYH belongs to someone, but it's not me so you can't sue, I just happen to be using these characters to suit my twisted designs, the only thing I own in here is my (now dead) OC, Miyoh Urameshi.

Key

*thinking*

"talking"

*thoughts progressing into speech"

//telepathy//

'substitute for italics'

(occassional poem or something else)

~POV~

A/n: Sorry for the long wait, it takes me awhile to get back into the plight of my many characters and write from their POV.

Chapter Eleven: Sacrifice

::3:45pm, Inside the burning store::

~Miyoh~

The freezer was so fucking cold, and I didn't understand why I could feel it and be cold if I was a spirit. It was then I realized later that even Rekai couldn't make someone a half-spirit, so they had given me with full mortality and I hadn't known.

Man, why wouldn't he wake up?! I mean, well we weren't gonna burn to death, but freezing was almost as bad. We'd been in here for almost two hours, so we had to get help soon. I could see my breath cloud, and it had to be at least below 30°F in here. Yusuke's head was resting in my lap, I had shaken him a few times, slapped his face, and even put a piece of ice down his shirt, but he still wasn't waking up.

I thought about it, then that stupid voice said it.

'Maybe he's dead and how'd you even manage to get us in here anyway?'

*He can't be dead, all he did was inhale a little smoke.* I tell myself, trying to ignore the voice and feelings of panic as I feel Yusuke's neck for a pulse.

It's weak, but there is one.

"G-Good, don't die on me Yusuke." I say softly, hugging him close. It's so cold in here, even if the fire did dissapate, we couldn't get out, because the door had bolted itself behind us.

'Damn you.'

*What? I thought you wanted to take over my body or something, I'm not burning to death now so you should be happy.* I tell the voice sarcastically.

'Won't do any good if you freeze, you retard.'

~Author~

The fire depeartment's trying to get in, but the flames are proving to be very formidable.

"Come on, we don't know if anyone's in there or not! Put your backs into it, all of you!" the chief yells, spraying foam at the inflamed building with the help of two others. Three other firefighters man another hose off to the side.

Two others bust in the glass of the front door, making their way into the inferno, also armed with a hose, and spraying it left and right.

Miyoh raises her head, hearing the noise outside, and starts to scream.

"If anyone can hear me, please help! We're trapped in the freezer! Help!!!!!"

The firemen barely catch her cry, but they hear it all the same.

"Don't worry miss, we're here!" they tell her, already in front of the freezer door. They take out their axes, hacking into the thick auto-bolted door

Miyoh sighs in relief, laughing to herself brightly and hugging Yusuke to her chest, tears rolling down her cheeks to fall onto Yusuke's forehead.

"We're gonna be okay Yusu, haha, we're gonna be okay..." she whispers, looking to the door as the firemen finally manage to break through, and summons the energy to thank them before she goes into hypothermic shock; slumping forward over Yusuke's prone form, out cold.

One of the firemen rushes to the outside to get the EMS team, the other finishes putting out the remaining flames, then rushes out to report to the chief as the other returns.

::6:57pm, Hospital, E.R::

The ambulance had rushed the two siblings to the hospital as quickly as possible, still another contained the charred body of the shopkeeper, and Kurama was promptly called after contact info was found in both the sibling's wallets.

Kurama arrived in the center of a flurry of activity at the receptionist's desk. Papers were attempting to be stamped, sealed in folders and filed, all by one ditzy little receptionist who looked like she wasn't very suited around a pen, much less high tech hospital equipment.

"Excuse me miss?" Kurama asks, following her with his eyes as she darts around behind the desk, she looks at him, and manages to trip over the chair coming back over.

"Itai! Ano...hai?" she asks, grabbing the corner of the desk to pull herself up, but slipping again. "Kuso!" {1}

Kurama leans over the partition and asks if she needs assistance, his jade eyes sparkling merrily.

"Ano...iie, I'm fine." she manages to get back into her chair. "Now, how can I help you?"

Kurama smiles lightly.

"I'm looking for two patients that were admitted a while ago, Miyoh and Yusuke Urameshi?"

"Ano...ano...of course sir." she replies, pushing up her glasses and scribbling something on a piece of paper. "Ano...t-these are the rooms they will be assigned to when they are released from emergency, notice that Miyoh will be in ICU, she has a severe case of hypothermia. Yusuke, however, will be in a regular room as far as I know for the moment, if I get anymore information I'll alert you, but until then you should sit over there somewhere or wander. Either way I can still find you." she replies, nodding affirmatively to herself more than him.

Kurama can feel Youko asking him something.

*Hm?*

'She's so flustered, I bet she's infatuated with us, come on, lemme have some fun.'

*-sigh- Fine.*

Kurama lets Youko flirt with the poor receptionist for a while before deciding to go as it gets too heated. The poor girl was such a deep shade of red.

'Aw...'

*You don't want to make Hiei angry do you? He'd castrate you if he knew you were hitting on a 'ningen' girl.*

'Eep!' Youko squeals, mentally grabbing at his lower regions.

Kurama smirks to himself, finally finding Yusuke's room with the boy already situated and eating the hospital's version of 'dinner'. {2}

"Yusuke?" he asks, knocking on the side of the open door so as not to upset the teen and going in to sit in a bedside chair. "How are you faring?"

Yusuke jerks his head up from glaring at a piece of extremely bland chicken to look at Kurama.

"Are you another one who seeks truth?"

"What?"

"Truth is inside us all, but to unlock it we must first face death."

"What's the matter with you?" Kurama asks, bewildered and going over to the side of his bed.

"He's suffering from mild smoke inhalation, only thing is that fire didn't just burn the store, it burned the magic mushrooms the shopkeep had hidden under the floor tiles." a new voice pipes up from the doorway. Kurama looks over to see the doctor standing with a clipboard in hand.

"So what does that mean doctor? Is he on a permanent 'trip'? {3}

"No, but it has scrambled his mind a bit, so he might say odd things from time to time and it should wear off in a few weeks."

"Great." The red haired fox replies, sighing.

The doctor comes over, taking Yusuke's pulse and scribbling it down on his clipboard.

"He's fairing nicely, so he may be able to go home in a few days."

"What about his sister?"

"We'll know when she comes out of E.R."

Kurama nods, the doctor leaving them to their own devices.

"So Yusuke, other than being stuck here, how are you feeling?"

Yusuke groans, rolling his eyes and frowning more.

"I hate hospital food, and I wanna go home."

Kurama smiles, chuckling lightheartedly as he ruffles Yusuke's hair.

"Soon Yusuke soon, just get better first, which means, you have to eat." he tells the dark haired boy, smiling. Aforementioned boy sighs, going back to pick, albeit reluctantly, at the unseasoned piece of poultry. Kurama chuckles once more, getting up to go back to the reception area and wait on Miyoh's arrval in her room. He makes it to the door, almost getting out before Yusuke calls him back.

"Kurama?" he asks, said fox turning to see him, taking note in the glazed over eyes as they were the first time he entered.

"Yes Yusuke?"

"Be wary, truth shall seek you out, wether you wish it or not. The ones who follow truth are foolish, but the ones who find it are dead."

Kurama nods, not seeing much in these words except some kind of deep wisdom, but taking them to heart anyway.

*Get well soon, my dear detective.* he thinks, shutting the door behind him as he exits.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anaki: I know it's short, but I'm tired, so bite me.

RC#16: Why would they wanna do that?

Anaki: Zzzz...

RC#16: So she wasn't lying, oh well, review.