Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Frozen Fire ❯ Chapter 2

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

 
Author's Note: I want to thank yukita for the review. Yukita was the first person to review, so thanks so much, I was thinking about discontinuing this story. Anyway I hope you enjoy and review.
 
Chapter 2
 
A growl raked through Dekage's body as she felt the other demon's hand reach for her friend.
 
“Hey now, I'm only checking to see how bad his wounds are girl. Considering you're in know position to examine them your self,” He replied, annoyance thick in his voice. When the child's growling didn't subside he sighed heavily. “Listen I wont hurt him nor even touch him if that makes you feel better, promise.”
 
Dekage stared at him with her lavender - unseeing eyes. She felt him shiver slight under her unseeing gaze - as most did, including Hiei - and wanted to smirk but again she didn't.
 
“You better honor your word,” Dekage warned, knowing she couldn't do anything to him if he decided not to.
 
“Fine,” the lead demon agreed. “But I'll need you to remove his shirt.”
 
Dekage nodded her head in acknowledgement before turning her sightless eyes to her hands, where they were still tired together. Her sensitive hearing heard the demon sigh and felt him reach for her hands. The only thing she did was tense as the demons hands worked to untie the ropes.
 
The rope slipped off her wrist, revealing raw, bleeding skin. After the demon had untied the ropes around Hiei's wrist, did Dekage gently start to remove Hiei's clock and white, loose mussel shirt, ignoring her own sores. Once the clothing were removed Dekage heard the demon next to her take a deep, sharp breath.
 
“What?” the girl ask curiously, but quietly. Not bothering to lift her head, knowing she wouldn't be able to see anything.
 
“He doesn't look to good, girl, that's all,” he answered, wondering how the boy had walked so long without dieing or complaining. The right side of Hiei's small chest and upper right arm were black and blue, while his left shoulder area was starting to bruise. He also had red stains on his chest - more likely than not from when his neck had been bleeding bleeding.
 
“I don't know where we're goin' to find a healer. Even if we did, I don't think he'd survive,” the leader explained.
 
Dekage ignored him, concentrating on listening to Hiei's chest - mainly his heart and lunges. Listening to the heart first, she quickly dismissed that of being in any danger, after hearing a strong steady beat. Now focusing on his lunges, Dekage easily found problems. His breath was labored and scratchy, but her main concern was that his breaths where becoming shallower and longer between each breathe.
 
“Can someone go and get me some water? I'll need a lot of it, I'm going to heal him.” Everyone started at her in disbelief. There were very few demon healer and none had heard of a healer being so young. So they stood there, unsure of what to do.
 
“You heard what the child wanted. Now get moving!” At their leaders commanding voice, everyone jumped back into reality, hurrying to get what was needed.
 
“Why are you helping us, when you are the cause of it?” Dekage question softly, not liking that she couldn't understand what the demon sitting beside her was. She felt his eyes on her back, but she ignored them, moving so Hiei was lying on the uneven ground.
 
"I have a soft spot for kids,” the demon answered softly. Dekage could just picture his eyes having a soft hue to them. There was a silence that settled between the two.
 
"Then explain why you're doing this to us?" Dekage suddenly asked, in an almost pleading note. "If you have a soft spot for kids, why do this to us?" Along with the pleading note, Dekage tone also held confusion.
 
"It's my job, someday you'll understand kid. Until than, don't question me, understand?" Threat was evident in his voice but she paid no heed to it.
 
"Do you have a name?" Dekage questioned, running her fingers through Hiei's gravity defiant hair. She came across no tangles as she repeated the motion a smile graced her features. She'd always been jealous of the soft and tangled free locks.
 
"Bonsuese," the lead demon suddenly spoke up, bring Dekage out of her musings. Dekage nodded in acknowledgement.
 
"You're men are back, now if you don't mind I have some healing to do. But after I'm done, I'll need some time to recover my energy,” the girl explained, withdrawing her hand from Hiei's hair and running it through her own, which was tangled because it had long since fallen from the braid she had had it in.
 
“How long?”
 
“A day, two that the most.”
 
“Fine, you can have two days at the most. If you're tired after that you'll be carried,” the demon stated, moving to get up.
 
“You're so considerate,” Dekage stated sarcastically. “Now if you don't mind I'm going to ask you to move away from me.” Bonsuese didn't say a word but Dekage heard him walk away, but not too far.
 
“Hiei, I'm going to try and heal you, ok?” the blind girl explained in a whispered voice. “But first I'm going to numb the pain.” Knowing she wouldn't get a reply - he had blacked out a little while ago - she turned her attention towards the two demons holding a large bowl of water between them.
 
“With this be enough?” one of them asked.
 
“Yes it will. Now set it down beside me and leave,” Dekage answered from her spot next to Hiei.
 
“How can you even tell girl? You're blind. Unless you're lying to us and only acting like you are,” another demon accused, while he and his partner moved to set down the water bowl.
 
“Oh I'm very much blind. My last sight I saw was Hiei giving me the katana the Bonsuese now wears. The blindness however is part of the curse inside of the blessing of my blood,” the girl replied. “But I must get to work on so back away.” She heard a grunt of disgust or displeasure - she couldn't tell - but they did what was told of them, after they got a warning glare from Bonsuese.
 
As soon as they were some ways off, Dekage felt around for Hiei's discarded cloak. Finding it, she soaked it in the ccool water. Once it had soaked up as much water as it could hold, Delage removed it from the bowl and placed it so it was lying over Hiei small chest, where the most of the pain was coming from.
 
A shooked gasp escaped Hiei;'s lips as the cool material connected with his fevered flesh. Slowly he opened up his pain filled scarlet eyes, only to be greeted by the sight of Dekage looking down at him. She moved her cold hands so that they were on his forehead, trying to comfort him. Trying to lean into the comforting touch, Hiei found himself in too much pain to more, so he just laid there enjoying it.
 
“Hiei I'm going to try healing you. But first I'm going to numb the pain,” she explained, removing her hand from his forehead.
 
The crimson-eyed demon made no reply, knowing that his friend would heal him no matter what he did or didn't say. Dekage moved her hands so that they were positioned on the wet cloak. Concentrating, she pooled her energy in her hands, causing the water soaked cloaking to freeze. Felling Hiei shiver, she withdrew her hands, allowing her energy to flow freely within her being once more.
 
“Better?”
 
“Hn,” Hiei grunted, happy that the pain was slowly ebbing away. He smirked as he saw Dekage smile down at him. I promise that I'll become strong; strong enough to protect you, so that you wont need a reason to use your healing powers. I know it hurts you when you heal any other besides your self. That's why I'm making you a promise, so that I don't have to see you sure. The silent promise echoed through his head as he allowed his eyes to close.
 
Another smile graced Dekage's lips as she felt Hiei drift to sleep. Sighing, she removed her own cloak, revealing a white, tight, backless shirt. Two vertical scares running down her shoulder blades.
 
“What happened to your back, girl?” Bonsuese question curiously, looking at the two ragged scares.
 
“Nothing now I near to concantrat,” Dekage replied. “No one can talk ok?”
 
“Sure, kid.” Turning his piercing green eyes onto his men, glaring at each in turn. He smirked when no one kept eye contact with him, some even stepped back, showing their submission.
 
Dekage, hearing nothing but breathing coming from the demons behind her, allowed herself to relax and focus on Hiei breathing. Once locking onto Hiei's breathing she moved her hands so that they were gently pressing against his right side of the ice-covered chest. She knew she had the right spot because she heard Hiei growl in warning. She ignored it though and continued building her energy into her hands, this time with out the freezing affect.
 
Hiei looked up at Dekage, a pain filled glare bore into her. She was going to hurt both of them just so that she could fix him. He felt her energy rising and he knew once it reached a certain level, there would be no other choose but to continue on with what she started - she was close to that level of power now.
 
Scarlet eyes - as well as everyone else - never strayed from her being, but Hiei's eyes could see the pain that was written on her face as her power soared pass the point of no return. The pain expression on Dekage's face on grew when Hiei heard the sound of flesh and bone break, reform and tear. Hiei found himself froze; looking up at the pain expression Dekage wore as a pair of black wing sprouted from her back, when all he wanted to do was turn away.
 
Dekage's wings where the color of the midnight sky and was about the length of Hiei, he also knew that they were as soft as they looked. He'd only seen her wing twice, once when they first meant and the second time was when she healed a small child that had stayed with them for a little while. The second time was when he got to run his fingers through her soft feathers.
 
When Dekage's wing sprouted from her back, the energy she'd been collecting rushed into Hiei. The feeling was so good that it almost hurt. Hiei could feel the energy wasting over him, mending what was broken, healing what needed to be heal and even getting him some extra energy to keep for himself so that he didn't feel tired. The bruising quickly faded, leaving his pale skin untouched.
 
A gentle, weak smile graced Dekage's features as Hiei looked up at her. They seem to be looking at each of, even though Dekage couldn't see. But Hiei knew better than to judge, he knew she was looking at him, it was just… without seeing.
 
As if satisfied with her job she gave one last weak smile, before her eyes closed, her body going limp. She fell heavily on to Hiei, who just laid there, make sure Dekage was asleep before he moved. After several long moments, he slowly started to move, holding his friend against his chest as he sat up, being sure nothing hit her wings. He knew that her wings where sensitive to just about everything and not wanting to see her in pain, Hiei was extra tender with the appendages.
 
Holding Dekage bridle style, Hiei moved so that he was leaning with his back against a tree, making sure that her wings were pressed against her back.
 
“That was interesting,” Bonsuese voice broke the silence, his voice revealing nothing. Hiei's gaze turned from soft to cold within seconds of looking up at the leader of the group.