Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Hiei is a Father? ❯ Hiei is a Father? ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I do not own any of the characters in this story except for the baby kitsune, Kami. All other characters (so far) belong to Yoshihiro Togashi.

This story is slightly yaoi in later chapters, so you have been fairly warned.

Hiei is a Father?

******Chapter One******

Hiei was meandering aimlessly around the park at night trying to get a few moments peace when he heard the noise. At first he tried to ignore it, but as the cries got more insistent, he decided to investigate. It was unusual for anyone to be out at this time of night, much less someone making that much noise. He left the park and turned right into a narrow, dirty alley. Hiei's nostrils flared at the stench. It smelled like unwashed bodies that were slowly rotting. By now the noise in the alley was almost unbearable.

Hiei looked down and found the source of the commotion. There, beside a filthy dumpster overflowing with every kind of disgusting refuse imaginable, was a basket. Hiei picked the basket up curiously and peered into it. The noise stopped almost immediately. There, curled up inside the basket was a baby! Hiei gaped in amazement. The child was curled up in the basket, under a filthy rag that served as a makeshift blanket. It was pitifully skinny, but the strangest thing about it was that it had tiny little white fox ears at the top of its head and a tiny little white fox-tail. "A kitsune…I'd better take it somewhere safe. No telling what would happen if some ningens saw it like this." Hiei whispered, clutching his precious cargo to him as he headed for the only logical place to go-Kurama's home. He carried it in the basket, because he wasn't quite sure how to carry a baby otherwise.

When he got to Kurama's apartment, he paused outside. Looking down at the tiny bundle again, he felt something inside him stir. This child had been abandoned-just like him. It looked up at him with perfect trust in it's perfect little green eyes. Hiei stared at the child for a moment before knocking on the door to Kurama's apartment. Kurama answered the door, his face registering shock when he saw whom it was.

"Hiei, what is it? You usually use the window. Why use the conventional way now-" he stopped when he saw what Hiei held in his arms. His green eyes expanded in shock. "Where in the Ningenkai did you get a baby, Hiei?" Hiei took a moment to answer.

"Hn, I found it. I was in the park trying to think when all of a sudden I heard this horrible noise. I tracked it back to this baby. I just couldn't let it die, Kurama." He looked up into Kurama's eyes, and Kurama thought for a moment that he was going to cry. "Who would abandon a handsome little child like him?" he gestured to the child, whom he was still holding. Kurama took the baby and looked at it for a moment before carefully handing it back to Hiei and speaking again.

"Well, Hiei-san, first things first. It's not a "he"; it's a "she". As you could tell, by the ears and tail, she is a kitsune. What are you going to do about her?" Kurama called over his shoulder as he went to get the baby some milk.

"What do you mean, do about her?" Hiei questioned, followed by, "What's that?" when he saw the makeshift bottle Kurama had made for her.

"What, this? Oh, it's a baby bottle. That child needs nourishment. Look at how thin she is. She needs milk or she'll die." Kurama said gently. Hiei held the child protectively.

"Mine." He growled, "I want to do it. How do I feed the baby?" Kurama showed him how and watched in amazement as Hiei held the little baby kit tenderly and fed her the milk. Kurama watched silently for a moment before speaking again.

"Hiei, do you and the baby want to stay here, with me? I know that you don't have a real, permanent home, so I would be honored if you and the child would stay with me." Hiei looked up from feeding the child to stare at Kurama.

"You would do that for me?"

"Sure, baka." Kurama replied, frowning for a moment, "I'd be happy to have you living with me. Besides, that little kit is going to need another kitsune in her life to be a role model. With your permission, my friend, I'd like to help raise her." Hiei studied the other kitsune for a moment before nodding his head.

"Hai, Arigato. I would like that very much Kurama-san. She will be like our…daughter." He blushed suddenly, and Kurama smiled. They had always been attracted to each other, now they would be living together full-time taking care of a baby! Who knew what could happen?

Suddenly the baby began to fuss and push the bottle away, making little mewling noises in the back of her throat. A panicked look appeared on Hiei's face. He looked at Kurama and suddenly cried out, "Kurama-san, what's wrong with her? What do I do? Help her!" he handed the baby to Kurama, who immediately placed the baby at his shoulder and proceeded to burp her. Hiei watched in fascination.

"How did you know how to do that?"

"It was easy, dozo. I had to take a class at school about parenting. That was one of the things that I learned." He paused from his burping to look at Hiei. "You know, Hiei-san, we're going to have to give her a name. Have you thought of one?" Hiei looked thoughtful.

"Hn, like our names, right?" Kurama nodded

"Hai. If you don't have any ideas, I've thought of a few."

"Like what?" Hiei watched Kurama carefully.

"Well, like Kyoko. Or Michiru. Or maybe Kami, for starters. What do you think?" Hiei thought about it for a few minutes before answering.

"I like Kami. Can we name her that?" Kurama smiled warmly.

"Of course we can. I like that name a lot, too. Now, she needs a bath and a good night's sleep. I have an old wicker laundry basket in the hallway closet. I'll give her a bath, and you make a comfortable nest for her to burrow in. Be sure to put several soft blankets in the basket so she'll be comfortable. The basket will have to work until tomorrow, when we'll be able to get her a cradle, toys, and clothes." Kurama said as he took the kit and headed for the bathroom, while Hiei looked for the necessary basket and blankets.

"So many things, just to take care of a single kit." Hiei whispered to himself wonderingly. "What have I gotten myself into?" He fixed up a nest in the basket and then padded over to Kurama's bathroom to check on Kurama and Kami. He found Kami splashing about in the water while Kurama cooed nonsensical words back to her and washed her. When Hiei entered the room, Kami looked up at him and gave a little yip. Kurama laughed and turned to Hiei.

"That's her way of saying 'hi,'" Kurama said, his eyes sparkling with mirth and laughter, "Well come over here and say hello back." Hiei inched forward cautiously. Kurama brought the soaking wet kit out of the tub and wrapped it in a towel, and then handed her to Hiei.

"How exactly am I supposed to hold her, Kurama?" Hiei asked warily, looking at the child. Kurama put Kami in Hiei's arms and positioned his hands so that he was holding her securely.

"Just like that, support the head more…there. You make a perfect father, Hiei." Again, Hiei blushed furiously. He looked down at Kami and she yipped again. Hiei smiled at her. It was then that he noticed the mark.

"Oi, Kurama, what's this mark on her…right here?" he asked, pointing to a little red mark on her hip. It was in the shape of two crescent moons that were connected at the middle. Kurama looked down at it quizzically.

"I don't know, dozo. It's probably a birthmark of some kind… although it does look familiar…" Hiei and Kurama looked at it uneasily for a moment before dressing her for bed. It was just luck that Kurama had one of his old sleepers from when he had been a baby. It fit Kami well enough to do for a night. Hiei held the kit in his arms, staring into her eyes. They were the most beautiful shade of green-like Kurama's. He looked over at Kurama.

"What do we do with her now, Kurama?" he inquired. The little kit yawned and turned her head towards Hiei's chest.

"I think it's time to put Kami to bed." Kurama said firmly, "Now, Hiei, she will more than likely wake up during the night, needing her diaper changed, or food or something. It's completely natural, so don't worry overmuch. If she wakes up, one of us will tend to her." He smiled. "Now, where are you and Kami going to sleep?"

"I'll take the futon in the living room…Kami will sleep in the basket on the floor beside me. That way if she needs me, I'll be right there." Hiei explained. Kurama nodded.

"Hai. That will work out fine. If you or Kami need anything, I'll leave the door to my bedroom open so I can here you." Kurama decided to go out on a limb, "If you need to, feel free to bring her into my room. Or, if you want to, you can sleep in there too." Hiei snapped his head up and looked at Kurama. Now Kurama was the one blushing. Surprisingly, Hiei nodded.

"Arigato, Kurama-san. I might take you up on that offer, sometime." Kurama's eyes widened. Hiei grinned at him. Kurama decided to quit while he was ahead.

"Let's get some sleep, Hiei. We have a busy day ahead of us tomorrow." Hiei grabbed up the basket and padded into the living room, while Kurama walked down the hallway to his own bedroom. As he threw himself on the bed, he thought about what had happened that day, and what would happen in the future. Something about the birthmark bothered him, but he wasn't sure exactly what. Surprisingly, the baby didn't cry once during the night…

That's all that I've got for now. Feel free to leave me comments and such. Yes I know that this basic plot has been done, but will change in the future.