Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Hiei is a Father? ❯ Chapter Four ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hey, I still don't and never will own Yu Yu Hakusho. They are the property of Yoshihiro Togashi. I am merely borrowing them for mine (and your) amusement. I do however own Kami, the infant kitsune, as well as Hitomi, Mai-Lin, and their respective pack/group members. If you want to know who owns Wolf-ki, it's Shapeshifter.

******Chapter Four******

"No," Hiei whispered, his eyes filled with horror. "No, it…it can't be! No!" He glared at Hitomi, who was relacing the gap of her pants. She turned suddenly as if she sensed him glaring daggers at her.

"Is there something wrong, my friend?" she asked, confusion clearly written on her face. Hiei just glared at her for another moment. Kurama tried to intervene on Hitomi's behalf, but before he could say anything, Hiei turned towards him. When Kurama looked into the fire demon's eyes, he saw all of the sorrows of the world in those eyes. Without warning, Hiei jumped up from his sitting place and took off running. The others were left alone with the youkai's, wondering.

"He just…left." Yusuke muttered. Kurama looked at him and smiled, though the smile was somewhat forced.

"Let him go, Yusuke. He has a few things that he needs to take care of…on his own. It's best if we don't intervene. Hiei will come around." Yusuke looked at Kurama, feeling a new respect for his friend. Hitomi was the first to break the silence. She stood in front of Kurama solemnly.

"Gomen nasai, if I offended your friend in any way. Is there anything I can do?" she asked Kurama. He smiled briefly at the other kitsune before shaking his head sadly.

"No, Hitomi-sama. Please don't trouble yourself. Right now, I suggest we all rest," he said, loud enough for all in the clearing to hear. They all nodded in understanding and he continued. "On the morrow, I will take you to a cave that I found years ago. It will serve as a shelter until Hiei gets back." And with that said, everyone began to bed down for the night. It was a long time before Kurama was able to sleep, however. He was extremely worried about Hiei. Long after everyone else had fallen into slumber, the tired youko was still awake.

"Oh, Hiei," he sighed to himself, as he stared up into the starry night sky, "please don't do anything foolish. I love you, you baka. Whatever you're planning, please be careful. I need you…Kami needs you…

**************************************************************** ********

Hiei ran as fast as he could through the forest. He was almost there; he could smell it. The wind raced past him as he struggled to move faster and faster. He had never gone this fast, been this desperate. He could sense his destination; he was…almost…there!

He raced up the stone steps and into the courtyard of the old temple. He ran so fast, he had a little trouble stopping at the front doors. Before he could even knock, the door was pulled open slowly. There stood Genkai, the candle in her hands making sinister shadows over her face.

"I was wondering when you'd get here." She grumbled at the fire demon. He just glared at her for a moment before asking the question.

"Where is my daughter, Genkai?" he asked coldly, his eyes sweeping the dark interior of the temple. She held the door open and let him pass. She frowned for a minute before answering.

"Well, first of all, come in. It's bad enough that you show up in the dead of night, but now it seems that I have to stand in here holding the door open for you too." Hiei glared at the small woman for a moment before complying and walking into the temple. Genkai sighed as she shut the door with a quiet thud.

"Answer my question, old woman. Where is my daughter?" Hiei's voice was tight, as if he were having trouble containing his fury. Genkai smiled and jerked her head to the left.

"She's in Yukina's room." Hiei's head shot up. His face showed surprise.

"Yukina's room?" Genkai nodded.

"Hai. After Botan brought her here, Yukina took over taking care of her. Kami seemed to take to her too. The two of them should be asleep in her bedroom. Do you want me to get Kami now?" Hiei shook his head.

"No, I'll get her. It…it would be nice to see Yukina again." Genkai smirked at him and turned to leave.

"In that case, I'm going back to my room. I have some more meditating to do. Goodnight, Hiei." Hiei watched her go into a room and close the door before he headed to Yukina's room.

He quietly opened the door and walked inside. His secret sister was soundly asleep on her futon. Hiei noticed immediately that Kami was asleep beside her, clutching something in her arms as she slept. Hiei stopped at the sight of the little kitsune. To him, she was perfection, from the tips of her little tufted ears, to the tiny toes on her feet. He silently took a step towards her. She immediately woke up, but instead of crying, she yipped softly and crawled towards him. The movement made Hiei's eyes water in sheer joy. The movement also woke Yukina. She turned towards Hiei and lit the candles that were beside her bed.

"Konnichiwa, Hiei-san." Hiei nodded and murmured a reply back. In truth, his eyes were on Kami. She was sitting on the futon, looking up at him with an expression of complete adoration. Hiei finally saw what she was holding: she was holding two stuffed animals; a grey fox and a black dragon. Yukina noticed him staring at the toys. She giggled softly.

"Where did those come from?" Hiei inquired, never taking his eyes off of Kami. Yukina giggled again.

"From Keiko. She bought them for Kami because Kami needs something to play with, and Genkai wouldn't let her play with anything. She's missed you a lot. She seems to favor the black dragon, but she loves the kitsune too."

"I found out where Kami comes from. She's a sacred child of Inari. She's supposed to go into his care. I…I have to take her back…I" he couldn't say anymore. Hiei felt a lump in his throat as Kami toddled toward him and yipped at him. She wanted to be picked up. Hiei obliged her. Picking the child up, he felt the tears falling freely now. Yukina looked sadly at him and stood. Without words she stood beside him and put her arms around him in an embrace.

"I…I love her…I don't wanna give her up." He continued crying for quite awhile. Kami, as if sensing his sadness, held out her beloved stuffed black dragon, Hiei clutched it and Kami and just sobbed into Yukina's hair. He knew what had to be done, he just didn't want to do it…

Gomen nasai to all of you people who wanted this story updated sooner! I've had a lot of computer trouble. I promise that this won't happen again. And I'm also sorry for making another cliffhanger ending, but that's the way the story wanted to be written. Please review, my lovely readers, even if its just to tell me how evil I am for taking so long because of my evil computer. I will have chapter five up soon, I promise.