Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Life Through a Dragon's Eyes ❯ Chapter Thirteen: I Tried... ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Thirteen: I Tried…
 
(Okay people, I wrote the vast majority of this chapter while in the hospital waiting to see my grandmother. So, if you guys think this isn't all that good, which I don't think it is either…you now know why. So please don't bug me about the length of it being shorter than usual and stuff like that. It's the best I could do, and I was only writing this at the time to keep my mind off of where I was. Hospitals depress me.)
 
“Do you plan on going?” I hear a voice from behind me ask. I spin around quickly; glad to see that it's only Hiei and not a real enemy.
 
“Going where? I have no clue what you're talking about,” I answer. He didn't read the note, so how could he possibly know what it said? Then again, I never even heard him come in the house. He could've been reading over my shoulder and I wouldn't have noticed.
 
“Don't play dumb with me. You may have already shredded the note, but I can read minds. I'll ask again, do you plan on going?” he asks sternly.
 
I sigh tiredly. He shouldn't be here, let alone be asking questions that have nothing to do with him. I still have to help the Detectives, but only when I'm ordered to do so. Other than that, they should all just mind their own business and leave me alone.
 
“I don't know yet. It would probably only cause more trouble than good.”
 
“Sasuke's older brother, Itachi Izumi; he's really the one who's responsible for his brother's death, not you. Is that right?” he asks calmly, though I just barely catch a faint smile on his face caused by my look of surprise that vanishes just as quickly as it came.
 
“How…how could you possibly know about him? And how the hell did you find out that it was him and not me?” I ask, my shock at his knowledge suddenly turning into rage.
 
He smirks arrogantly, obviously amused by my reaction.
 
“I've stolen things from Spirit World before. Obtaining simple information was far easier than that.”
 
“But the only person in Spirit World who knows the truth is Botan, and I made her swear never to tell a soul,” I reply. I never thought it would be Botan who would betray me. I guess I shouldn't be all that surprised. Just about everyone I've ever trusted has always betrayed me, why should it be any different now?
 
“It was probably more difficult for her to conceal the truth from us now that Sasuke is alive again. That's really what intrigued me the most. Why go to such great lengths to conceal who his true killer was by framing yourself…if you…care for him so much?” he asks curiously. The last part seems rather hard for him to say, probably because any association between demons and humans, (other than demons killing humans that is), let alone love, is frowned upon.
 
I stare at the floor for what seems to be like hours, though I know only a minute at the most has passed.
 
“When the rest of the dragons died out, I didn't know what to do with myself. Without a known purpose in life, I wandered around Demon World killing everyone who was stupid enough to get in my way. In a way...I was happy when that happened, because in those short moments when I could lose myself in a fight…I was able to forget that I was completely alone. Fighting became a sort of drug for me after a time.”
 
I pause in my explanation, trying to think of the best way to express what happened to me years later. I look up and see him watching me expectantly, though he doesn't ask me to keep going.
 
“I came to Human World by accident, and when I fell through the portal, I landed hard on my back from about ten feet up in the air. It broke one of my wings of course. Sasuke had been there…and he reset the bone for me. I came to live with him and his family a while later. Five years later…Itachi tried to shoot me, and Sasuke blocked the bullet with his own body. I tried…I really tried to get him to the hospital in time…but he'd lost too much blood by then.”
 
“So am I to understand that you really believe that you're to blame for his death?” Hiei asks in an almost mocking tone. He probably thinks it isn't really my fault, and that what I feel is just guilt for not being able to save Sasuke. He's…almost right. That does have something to do with it.
 
I chuckle softly at his words. I suppose that would be the conclusion just about anyone would first come to.
 
“I'll give you half credit for the effort, but you would probably only be able to come to that conclusion no matter how much time I gave you.”
 
He raises an eyebrow slightly, obviously surprised that he could ever be wrong. It's my turn to smirk at his reaction this time, amused by his uncertainty.
 
“Well then, what's the rest of the answer?” he asks after a time.
 
I smile lightly and walk past him and continue on until I reach the front door of the house. I don't even have to bother to open the door, since it's hanging on one hinge anyway. Apparently, whoever used to live here left because he or she didn't want to make the effort of fixing their obviously poorly built home, and just abandoned it. Since then, I can tell that the only people who've been living here are probably just human teenagers trying to get away with drinking when they're not supposed to be, judging by the numerous beer bottles I found when I first started living here.
 
“Are you going to answer me, Dragon?” I hear him ask, aggravated by my sudden silence.
 
I shake my head in reply as I allow my wings to come out of my back slowly.
 
“It's not something you need to know,” I say as I take one step outside and then immediately take off, soaring high into the air with the help of an updraft.
 
Truth be told, the biggest reason as to why I framed myself for Sasuke's death is…well, I was ashamed of myself. After the rest of the dragons died out, I took great pride in the fact that I still managed to live on all by myself without needing help from anyone else. Then, when I came to Human World…my resolve to do so just seemed to melt away whenever I was around Sasuke.
 
Thinking back, it was really right after Sasuke died that I realized that I'd become soft during my years living with the Izumi family. The shame I felt from the realization of my weakness is really why I wanted to be blamed for Sasuke's death. I have always cared for Sasuke, and I have never been able to bring myself to hate him for making me this way. But…
 
“I must accept my punishment for causing him such pain, but…I won't allow the one who really killed him to live either. Itachi and I will go to hell together…”