Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Live Like You Were Dying ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Warning: Contains Yaoi (clean though) but still M/M pairing

On with the story:

X-X-X-

Kurama sat on the long white doctor's table, the thin paper rustling as he once again shuffled around again. Butterflies deep within the pit of his stomach were on the wildest ride imaginable. Twisting, turning, upside down and right side up. Twice already he had fought desperately the urge to go find a bathroom.

Why had they separated him and his mother. After all nothing was wrong with him. What could they not tell her in front of him. The butterflies took yet another loop on the Kurama Coaster.

The complaints they had were minor. So what if his vision was blurry, all that meant was that he needed glasses. The pounding headaches just meant migraines. All he had to do for that was take some migraine medicine. The fainting and memory loss was only nerves due to stress. So what was the worse that could happen, the doctor come back with a note telling him no school for a week.

Taking a deep, slow, cleansing breath Kurama struggled to will the butterflies down. `All is going to be fine.' All he had to do was keep telling himself that.

Another deep, slow, cleansing, breath settled the rest of the butterflies. Now to keep them down.

The mummer of voices right outside the door, the shuffling of papers and the resounding sound of footsteps stirred all the butterflies once again. So much for his calm stomach.

Now the urge of finding a bathroom became even more necessary. A pale, almost ghostly white, hand came up to his equally pale lips. `Just breath Kurama. Just breath!' He silently willed himself.

The once luxuriously handsome teen had lost most of his charm. Beautiful ivory skin was now ghost white where bruises did not decide to reside. The once deep, captivating, emerald orbs now were empty and begged for others to not look within them. The fine red hair that he was so well known for was now dull and hung limply at his back.

The rattle of the silver knob shook the pallor patient from his dreams. Now was the time for the truth. Was the separating of him and his mother really necessary or not.

The brown door opened painfully slow revealing a young man wearing a white coat. In his hand he held a clipboard, his brown eyes studying it closely. Glancing up he only offered a sympathetic smile.

Behind him his mother walked into the room her eyes red and holding a handkerchief. It looked as though she had been crying. Certainly his headaches could not be that bad. Yes he did look like hell but it was only nerves and nothing else.

Or that was what he had told himself for a month now. It was all nerves, it just had to be.

"Well hello Mr. Minamino. I'm sorry for the wait. We have been very busy lately. Anyways you probably want to get home so let me just get to the point." Pausing for a second he glanced once again at the clipboard, almost as though he had wished for whatever was on it to have changed. "We got the results back from the tests. And," lowering his head the doctor sat beside the confused teen, "I'm sorry to have to tell you this but there's a brain tumor. It's inoperable, meaning we can't do anything to get rid of it. I'm really sorry."

Kurama's jaw dropped as he started at his hands which laid idly upon his lap. Clenching them tight, his knuckles slowly turned whiter then normal. Now all the pieces fit. All the symptoms that he had felt they all fit now.

Shiori stepped to her son's side. No matter what they would face this together. Gathering enough courage to speak she ask, "How long? How long does he have?"

The doctor turned his head away. How he hated to give this news, but especially to someone so young, with so much to live for. "I can't say for sure but about a month. Two at the most."

Kurama's breath faltered as he heard the quiet voice of the doctor. Such a short amount of time, and there was so much that he wanted to do. All of the blood rushed out of his head causing his temples to hurt. Swaying slightly the red head fell forward.

"I need a nurse quick" was the last thing he remembered hearing.

Darkness surrounded threatening to swallow the struggling boy. Such deep darkness. So deep and dark that the boy could not see his hand before him.

He just had to get to the light. To the world that he knew, not this dark, dank place. Slowly, ever so slowly, the boy stood and walked forward his hands out in front of him waving from one side to the other.

Biting his lip in concentration he slowly continued on. Before him he could see a figure. Squinting he slowly made out a feminine body. 'Well that's a good sign.' Relieved he sighed.

Continuing on he could make out more figures. A light appeared from afar illuminating the figures before him. First he saw Yusuke, then Kuwabara, then Hiei. Smiling he continued a little faster. After all these guys he knew and trusted.

The last shadowed figure slowly illuminated. First her shoulders then slowly traveling upward to the top of her head. There before him stood his mother.

Smiling Kurama walked towards her. To his mother and his best friends.

His smile faltered slightly, but why did they not seem to notice him?

Yusuke, Kuwabara and Hiei turned and ran. They did not acknowledge or notice the struggling fox. The fourth in their group. Had they truly forgotten him? Could they just forget him like that.

Oh why did the darkness have to stay so tightly around him. He almost felt clusterphobic it was so tight around him.

Even Shiori seemed oblivious to the her son. The same plastered smile upon her face she slowly turned and walked away from her son.

Confused Kurama screamed for them to wait up and ran. Everything seemed to move in slow motion as he tried to reach his friends and his mother. Almost as though for every foot he ran they would go five feet back.

Falling to his knees in exhaustion Kurama looked up towards the retreating backs, a tear building in the corner of his eye.

But he refused to let the tears fall, instead he continued to run in the darkness not caring for who or what he ran into.

"Oph!" Kurama fell face first as he rubbed his left knee. `I must have twisted it when I fell.' Pulling into a sitting position he reached out before him. Slowly feeling for what made him trip.

Why did it have to be so dark. For once in his life he wished that he had a match or a cigarette or some kind of light.

His soft hand came upon something just as soft and damp. Continuing on he felt a cold, polished stone.

Suddenly, as though his prayers had just been answered the darkness was swept away under a rug, hidden till the next time it was needed.

Green eyes squinted focusing on the stone before him. The same polished stone that he had tripped over.

"Here lies Shuuichi Minamino. Beloved Son and friend."

Screaming Kurama stood and ran. He ran from the gravestone.

`No it cannot be true. I'm alive. I'm right here. Look at me.'

Darkness covered the entire place again. Gasping for air Kurama stopped running and stood looking around. How dark it had become once again.

Before him another scene appeared. There were several people gathered around all wearing black. Yukina, Shizuru, Keiko, and Botan were all together crying quietly into handkerchiefs. Yusuke and Kuwabara were kneeling beside a distraught Shiori trying desperately to calm her. Hiei sat on his normal indoor perch, the windowsill staring out at an unseen object.

On a low table sat a picture of Kurama, on either side of it were two burning candles. On the floor around the pictures were bundles of flowers. Roses, carnations and lilies were just a few. All mourning flowers.

Shaking his head Kurama slowly backed away. It was all to unbelievable. It had to be a bad joke, a very bad joke.

Screaming again, Kurama fell to his knees.

Desperate to leave this monstrous nightmare Kurama grabbed at his crimson locks tugging with all of his strength. "Wake Up! Please just let me wake up!"

Gasping Kurama sat up in a cold sweat. Glancing around him he realized that he was in his bed, safe and sound. Feeling much better he laid back down, a content sigh coming from his mouth as he felt the wonderful sun light cast it's gentle rays upon his skin.

The brown door slowly opened showing a tired figure. Shiori smiled sadly as she walked in.

Just then Kurama's mind was flooded with the memories before he had passed out. About the brain tumor, the fact that his life was cut short, the doctor. Sobbing he curled up into a tight ball.

`Why me?' Kurama felt someone lay beside him but decided against acknowledging it.

Together him and his mother laid in the bed sobbing until there were no more tears to be spilt.

X-X-X-

To relieve any confusion the italics was kind of like a dream, or nightmare- depending on how you look at it.

Anyways how is it? Please R&R

This is probably going to be a very short fic, only about 5 or 6 chapters long with time lapses (and that's really pushing it). I am planning on updating this every day (every other day at max)- with or without reviews- though review are very much appreciated.

Originally this was going to be a one shot, song fic but that changed as I started typing. I figured that a slightly longer fic was needed. Anyways the title and idea came from a Tim McGraw song, "Live Like You Were Dying." Below are the lyrics…

He said, "I was in my early 40's with a lot of life before me

When a moment came that stopped me on a dime

I spent most of the next days, looking at the X-rays

Talking 'bout the options, and talking 'bout sweet time"

I asked him, "When it sank in that this might really be the real end

How's it hit ya when you get that kind of news

Man, what'd ya do"

He said "I went skydiving, I went rocky mountain climbing

I went 2.7 seconds on a bull named Fu Manchu

And I loved deeper and I spoke sweeter

And I gave forgiveness I'd been denying"

And he said, "Someday I hope you get the chance

To live like you were dyin'"

He said, "I was finally the husband that most the time I wasn't

And I became a friend a friend would like to have

And all of a sudden goin' fishin wasn't such an imposition

And I went 3 times that year I lost my dad

Well I, I finally read the good book

And I took a good long hard look

At what I'd do if I could do it all again

And then...

I went skydiving, I went rocky mountain climbing

I went 2.7 seconds on a bull named Fu Manchu

And I loved deeper and I spoke sweeter

And I gave forgiveness I'd been denying"

And he said, "Someday I hope you get the chance

To live like you were dyin'"

Like tomorrow was a gift

And you got eternity to think about what you do with it

What could you do with it?

What can I do with it?

What would I do with it?

Skydiving, I went rocky mountain climbing

I went 2.7 seconds on a bull named Fu Manchu

And I loved deeper and I spoke sweeter

And I watched an eagle as it was flying

And he said, "Someday I hope you get the chance

To live like you were dyin'"

To live like you were dyin' (x4)