Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Lost and Found: Love ❯ Returned from the Dead; Anniversary ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A Past Love

Chapter 7: Returned from the Dead; Anniversary

by AngelK

Author's Note: This is my first Yu Yu Hakusho story I've written. I like comments and suggestions/criticism. But, if you don't like this story as you read it, it's kind of pointless just to tell me how much you hated it and how terrible I am. So, I want a reason for why you dislike it so much if you do. If you see a problem with it, state it. Otherwise, enjoy yourself. If you wouldn't mind, a review would be nice.

Disclaimer: This is a story based upon characters of Yu Yu Hakusho. It is for entertainment purposes only.

Hiei was seated on a wide branch of a tree, dozing lightly.

Hiei...

Jolting up from his sleep, his eyes widened at the creature balancing easily on the branch in front of him. "A-Akita... how... what are you doing here?"

I look awful, don't I?

Hiei shook his head. "Even if you went through a war and you were mostly mutilated, you'd still be the most beautiful creature in this life."

Akita smiled. You know, I'm only here for a short time. I have to return to my body and start to heal. I love you, Hiei...meet me in the human world in approximately six months. I don't want you to see me as I am now... I look absolutely terrible.. Don't try and use sweet compliments on me either...

"But your presence...it vanished half a year ago. That meant you died..." Hiei stated.

Well, that is true if I was human or a mere mortal. I am not. I am the Child of Death...well, the Angel of Death now that I am no longer a child. Nevertheless, I was in the Spirit World. My parents have a pretty decent cottage there. I've been trying to recover my spirit energy since my battle with Kaemon. No luck. Fortunately enough, Koenma has agreed to give me another chance. I had to do a lot of community service but I've been granted a return to my body.

"Hn...if the toddler had not allowed you to live, I would've given him the choice of a slow or quick death. Either way, I would've used my katana." Hiei said coldly.

Anyway...please, say you'll wait for me.

"I will wait. For an eternity if I must." Hiei responded.

I'm glad to hear that. May I kiss you farewell?

Hiei nodded.

Akita bent down and kissed his lips thoroughly.

Even if she was only a ghost or a wandering soul, it felt like a real kiss to the Koorime.

"Akita, are you ready? Time to return to your body. Genkai and Yukina have been taking good care of it." The blue-haired ferry girl, actually known as the Grim Reaper, sat on her wooden oar, hovering in front of the large tree. She paused. "Oh, it's you, Hiei. No wonder Akita's soul wanted to stop here first."

"Yukina's been taking care of her body?" Hiei asked.

"Yes. You will be in quite a bit of pain when you re-emerge with your body. Your soul left but your pain hasn't yet subsided." Botan explained.

I was prepared for that. I'm ready though to be flesh and blood once more. Even if that means having to experience pain and suffering once more.

"That's the spirit. Off we go then. Hop on beside me!" Botan exclaimed.

Akita's soul settled behind Botan. As they flew upward, Akita looked back. I'll be waiting for you in Ningenkai. Six months from today. Don't you dare forget!

Hiei smiled slightly. "I won't forget."

***

"Any change, Kurama?" Kuwabara asked.

The kitsune shook his head. "Unfortunately, she remains in a coma-like state, I'm afraid."

Keiko bit her lip. "I'm worried. What if she doesn't make it through all of this..."

Shizuru, Kuwbara's older sister, placed a reassuring hand on Keiko's shoulders. "From everything I heard about this girl, she's no pushover. She needs you to believe she'll make it through. And, I'm sure she will."

Keiko sighed.

"Shizuru is correct. Have faith." Genkai encouraged.

"I made the tea. It's in the other room. Won't you all come and have a bit?" Yukina asked softly.

"Sure thing. We're on our way, right?" Kuwabara called as he accompanied Yukina back to the room. Genkai and Shizuru followed suit.

Keiko hesitated.

"Go on. I'll stay here. She needs some company." Kurama assured the concerned brunette.

Keiko forced a strained smile. "I'll bring some tea back for you."

"I am grateful for the offer. Thank you." Kurama turned his attention back to Akita as Keiko departed from the room.

***

"Botan?!?!" Kuwabara asked in amazement.

The ferry girl calmly sipped her cup of tea.

"It's ever so good to see you." Yukina said with a bright smile.

"Yes, pleasant surprise, but, exactly why are you here, Botan? We haven't seen you in ages." Shizuru commented bluntly.

"Is Yukina the only one happy to see me? You could at least not be so rude about it!" Botan exclaimed.

"We know but I'd like to know why you are here too, Botan." Keiko said as she entered the room.

"Oh my goodness! Can't anyone be happy with a friendly visit?! I even brought a special friend of yours so I thought you'd all have the decency to be happy! Hiei was plenty happy," Botan declared.

"So...you brought her back, did you? I knew it was only a matter of time." Genkai commented.

"What special friend?" Kuwabara asked, confused.

"She should be regaining consciousness right about now. Check for yourselves," Botan murmured.

"Let's wait. Kurama could use some time with her alone." Shizuru stated.

"Besides, the tea will surely get cold by then. Let's wait a few minutes." Yukina suggested.

***

Kurama held Akita's hand in his own. "Where are you? Why won't you come back to us? Akita...everyone here loves you and misses you..." He froze. Focusing on the silence, he heard the noise again. He then realized what it was. "...Soft yet shallow breathing..."

"Kur-ama?"

The redhead looked at Akita's face. Was he delirious?

Akita's eyelashes fluttered open.

"Akita...you're awake." Kurama said.

The mixed breed grimaced and winced.

"What's the matter?" He asked worriedly.

Akita gazed at him. "Bruises haven't healed..."

Kurama looked at her pained expression. "Would it help if I healed some of your wounds?"

"Thank you for your concern but no. My body has to heal on its' own..." Akita slowly sat up. Her muscles screamed in agony but she forced it out of her mind. "Would it be too much to ask for a hug?"

Kurama gently hugged the girl.

Akita tightened her grip on her older brother. "I missed you so much..."

Kurama brushed her hair from her face as he released her. "And I did you. Would you like me to bring Hiei the next time I come?"

Akita's eyes seemed to get brighter for a moment at the mention of Hiei's name but the light faded. "And let him see me this hideous? I looked much worse physically then I did spiritually. I told him I'd be waiting for him in six months time."

"Well, I'm sure the others will want to come visit you now. Shall I call them in?" Kurama asked.

"Um...no. I've had enough excitement. Give me until tomorrow afternoon after the school session ends. Then visiting hours can begin." Akita smiled at Kurama wryly.

"As you wish. Then, I will leave you to rest in peace." Kurama went to stand when he felt pressure against his fingers.

"Another hug?" Akita pleaded.

Kurama reached down and hugged Akita lightly.

"I'm not going to break. If my body comes accustomed to this pain, it'll heal faster."

Kurama embraced her slightly tighter. When he released her, he saw Akita smiling lightly with her eyes closed.

"You smell like the rain, Kurama. You didn't have an umbrella when it rained today?" Akita asked.

"No, I forgot to take one along and I got caught in the drizzle. It was refreshing." Kurama said. "Now, please rest and take care."

"I will. Good night, Kurama." Akita whispered as she sank back heavily against the pillows with a sigh. Her eyes closed and she was sleeping in moments.

Kurama smiled as he opened the door and slipped silently from the room. He walked down the hall to the sitting room to find everyone waiting for him expectantly. "Good evening, Botan. I see you are the one who brought Akita back from Spirit World."

"Hello, Kurama. How is she doing?" Botan asked.

"Asleep now. She said she'll accept visitors tomorrow after the school session ends." Kurama explained.

"So, we can't visit her now?" Kuwabara asked.

"It would be a bad idea." Kurama replied.

"But, she's asleep. We couldn't possibly wake her if we just peek in." Keiko stated.

"She's a demon. Plus she's a light sleeper. She's exhausted so at least let her have this time to rest." Kurama said.

"Well, it's time to go home then. Let's go, baby bro. It's past your bedtime and I don't want to deprive you of your rest." Shizuru said as she stood.

"Jeez, Shizuru, why do you have to treat me like such a little kid?!" Kuwabara demanded.

"As far as I'm concerned, you're still a kid. You'll always be that way, little brother. Keiko, will you be joining us? We can walk home together." Shizuru looked to the brunette.

Keiko hesitated. She felt a hand on her shoulder and she looked up.

"Would you like to stay and keep me company? I'll probably go and sit in Akita's room later on. I know you've been wanting to see her." Kurama smiled.

"Genkai? Would it be alright if I stayed the night?" Keiko asked.

"Might as well. Somehow I know you'll all be staying here. Good thing that Yukina just cleaned up those rooms. I do hope you don't mind having roommates. If so, you can sleep outside." Genkai said.

"No complaints here with roommates." Keiko declared.

"Kuwabara, you and Kurama can share a room. Keiko and Shizuru can-"

"That's not necessary. I'll be sleeping near Akita." Kurama interrupted.

"I'll be observing Akita as well. No need to worry about me one teeny tiny bit. I'll be returning to Spirit World in a few hours. As long as I know that Akita is stabilized, I have to return." Botan interjected.

"Well, do whatever you're planning to do." Genkai said as she left the room.

"Good night, everyone." Botan said cheerfully as she and Kurama went to Akita's room.

Keiko and Yukina were sharing a room and Shizuru and Kuwabara had their own rooms.

Everyone settled down for the night.

***

Hiei sat high up in a tree. He looked up at the moon. "It's full tonight. It's strange. I've never felt alone until I met Akita. Now, I wish she was nearby. I always scoffed at humans and their petty relationships. Now, I'm acting just like some lovesick human..."

A passing image of Akita entered his thoughts. He sighed as he closed his eyes. He was better off dreaming of her rather than thinking of her.

***

"It's been two weeks and Akita's still bedridden. At this rate, she'll fail this school term." Kuwabara commented.

"Since when are you so interested in someone else's grades? You should place that concern in your own grades." Shizuru said, reprimanding her brother.

"Akita's very smart. I've been helping her keep up in her classes. She's going to try and come to school next week for finals. Just because she isn't in school doesn't mean anything. She absorbs information like a sponge. Both you and Yusuke could've taken pointers from her in junior high school." Keiko interceded in the argument as she looked up momentarily from her books.

"Well, I'm just saying it cause I'm worried. It would be nice if she finished up school with the rest of us." Kuwabara said.

***

"How are you feeling today?" Kurama asked.

"Much better. Pain's almost gone and these wounds are starting to go away. Changing into my demon form helped." Akita responded, her black kitsune ears twitching.

"Why exactly were you so anxious to be healed by today?" Kurama asked curiously.

Akita looked down at her folded hands. She fidgeted for a moment. "I have to be better by today. I...I have to go somewhere. That's all I can say. Besides, if I'm to take my finals, I have to go to school tomorrow." She slowly got out of bed. Standing slowly, her legs wobbled. Taking a few tentative steps forward, she stumbled and grasped for the bedpost.

"You're obviously weak. There's no way you can go anywhere. You're barely walking." Kurama said as he stood.

"No."

Kurama looked over at Akita in surprise.

"I don't care how bad I am. I have to go. I'm not going to go anywhere dangerous. As my brother, promise to stay behind." Akita collected her sword and opened a bureau drawer. With care, she unfolded a dark cloth and put it over her shoulders. "I have Hiei protecting me. What more could I ask for?"

Kurama came over and took her hand. "A healed body would've been something nice to have."

"Well, there's plenty of things I'd like. But, Hiei's presence will do." Akita smiled.

Kurama returned the smile hesitantly.

"Now, promise me." Akita said.

"I promise as your brother to stay here."

***

"Where are you going? You're in no condition to go out!" Keiko exclaimed as soon as she saw Akita enter the room, accompanied by Kurama.

"Keiko, today is a very significant day. I can't spend it lounging in bed. I'm going to Makai. To...fulfill a simple task. I should only be gone a few hours. Back by sunset if I'm lucky." Akita explained.

"That's three and a half hours! Kurama, please say you're going with her." Kuwabara looked to the redhead.

Kurama shook his head. "I'm staying behind at request. I promised."

Akita smiled. "I'll be heading off now. Try not to worry." She left the room.

Genkai entered the room. "Where is she off to?"

"Makai." Keiko replied.

"She's been bedridden for over 6 months and she's already off to Makai. I'm amazed she can even walk on her own..." Genkai muttered.

"I'm surprised at how well she healed. She has many scars but her wounds have mostly repaired themselves." Yukina stated.

"Well, of course she's healed. She had you taking such good care of her!" Kuwabara declared.

"Would you please be quiet, Kuwabara? I'm trying to study for my math final." Keiko said, eyes scanning a notebook. She flipped a page and opened a textbook.

"Jeez, Keiko. Are you really studying everything?" Kuwabara asked in amazement.

"Genkai, I'll be leaving. I'll be back in a few hours." Kurama said as he headed to leave.

"Following after her?" Genkai asked.

Kurama nodded. "I am. It worries me that she's going to Makai with such little spirit energy. It's suicidal really."

"Hey, I thought she said you promised to stay here." Kuwabara said in confusion.

"I promised as only a brother. Never as her friend. I'll only keep an eye out for danger. Good-bye." Kurama left and headed after Akita's scent.

***

Akita hurried through demon world as fast as she could. Her pace was slowed by her low energy. "If only I had more spirit energy. I would've ran there, spent an hour at the site, and been back an hour before sundown." She continued through a quiet forest.

Unknown to Akita, two figures followed. One by ground. The other was farther back and leapt from tree to tree. Both blended flawlessly with the shadows.

***

Akita parted some overhanging tree branches. Inhaling, her nose was filled with scents. With a sad smile, she took in the scene. "It smells like home. Water is near. Cross the bridge and I'll be a few steps from the house." Hope renewed, the girl tried her best to hurry towards the wooden bridge.

After crossing the bridge, Akita anxiously continued on. "I'm nearly there. I can make it without running out of energy." As she came to the clearing, she smiled. Snowflakes swirled around the area, some melting upon the large bush of flowers that grew over a good-sized amount of earth.

There was crunching of snow before a large white wolf lumbered out of the bushes surrounding the west side of the clearing.

Akita opened her arms and the wolf leapt up, placing his paws on Akita's shoulders. With a giggle, she threw her arms around the white creature. Burying her face into the wolf's thick coat, she wept tears of joy. "Comp...I've missed you so much..."
***

Akita knelt before the gravesite, her eyes closed and her hands folded.

The white wolf had settled beside her and his tail thumped upon the snow-covered ground.

"This is their resting place then?" A voice asked.

Akita bowed her head in respect and turned towards the voice.

Kurama stepped out from behind a large tree trunk. "May I come near? Or does your friend plan to try and chew me up?"

Akita looked at the wolf who lay beside her in a protective manner. With ears flat against his skull, a low growl rumbled from deep in his throat. "He is one of the pack, Comp. My pack." She repeated it once more sternly.

The wolf growled another time, seeming to test Akita's words. Then, after another moment, he did not growl and regarded Kurama with clear blue eyes.

"You may come nearer. Please, pay your respects to our mother's grave." Akita gestured to the area in front of her with an expressionless face.

Kurama approached and knelt in the snow. "I would think to do nothing before." He bowed his head for a moment and all was silent. After he was through paying his respects, he turned his emerald-eyed gaze to his younger sibling. "Tell me why today it was so important for you to be well. It is obvious that you had a specific reason in coming here."

Akita looked away. "Today is the day my father and our mother died."

Kurama nodded with understanding. "But that isn't all, is it?"

"You know me too well, Kurama...That isn't the only significance this day holds." Akita's hand rested in the wolf's thick coat.

The wolf looked at her and whined.

"....he's right, you know. It's hard for me to tell you. If you'd give me a few moments to contemplate an answer. By the way, Comp and I go way back. He befriended me one night soon after my parents had passed away. I was raised as one of his pack mates. I can howl with the best of them." Akita grinned.

"Why do you call him 'Comp?' That doesn't sound like a suitable name for a creature such as him." Kurama commented.

"The name 'Comp' is short for the word 'companion.' When I was young, I couldn't remember the full word and resorted to call my new friend Comp. He's been a true companion since I first met him." Akita scratched the wolf behind the ears.

"A fine companion indeed. He suits you," Kurama stated.

"Now, looking back, the word 'companion' doesn't even do him justice. He's too fine of a creature for that. But, 'Comp' grew on him, didn't it?" Akita asked the wolf.

He howled his agreement.

"Well, back to the alternative reason as to why I am here. Seven years before the day that my parents passed away...I was born. If I knew that they'd die, I would've wished to have never been born. No one knows what day I was born. I never told anyone. Humans believe birthdays are to be celebrated. I mourn on the day of my birth. Because of me, my parents were unable to rest in peace..." Snow swirled around Akita as if the flakes were dancing.

"So, you return here to mourn?" Kurama asked bluntly.

"Not only that. I return because it is tranquil here. I am filled with serenity and peace when I am near my parents. Their resting place has become my haven. I connect with them in this place. I take care of it as best I can. Comp comes here every year. To mourn my loss and be my comfort. As a child, he was my only friend. My companion..." Akita petted the wolf's head.

Kurama nodded. Sadness and regret hung around Akita like a cloak. It surrounded her as if it were a blanket.

"Anyway, how did you find me? Besides tracking my scent." Akita asked.

"Your blood led me here. Did you know that there was a trail of red droplets leading all the way here?" Kurama looked pointedly at Akita.

"Careless of me, wasn't it? I had to hide the fact I'm not completely healed enough to be going at the pace I was. Quite foolish..." Akita trailed.

"Not only is it foolish but suicidal. Demons could pick up on you and hunt you down," Kurama scolded.

"You came against my request, Kurama...Why?" Akita asked quizzically.

"It's obvious, is it not? You are my sister as well as my friend. I couldn't let you come here without protection. I'll carry you back."

Akita sighed in defeat as she slowly stood.

Comp rose to his feet. He seemed to study Kurama for a moment. He leaned against Akita's leg.

"He's very protective of you, isn't he?" Kurama asked.

"We're pack. Of course he's protective of me." Akita suddenly fell to her knees.

Kurama rushed over to her. "Are you alright?"

"Just dizzy mixed with some draining fatigue. I think I should go home, don't you?" Akita smiled faintly.

"You look nauseous. Are you going to be sick?" Kurama put his hand to Akita's forehead. "You have a slight temperature. You pushed yourself too much..." He lifted her onto his back and stood. "You're like a bird. I think you have bones that are hollow. Akita?"

There was light breath against his neck and he shook his head as he began walking. After crossing the bridge into a forest with green trees, Kurama abruptly stopped.

Comp looked at him expectantly.

"Will you be accompanying me back to Ningenkai? I'm not sure you'll fit in there too well but you're welcome." Kurama said to the wolf.

Comp cocked his head to the side and continued on looking at Kurama. He then turned his gaze to the trees and growled when there was a rustle of leaves overhead.

"Show yourself. There's no point in trying to hide anymore."

A blur jumped down from the tree. Landing on the ground, the figure looked up.

"Hiei? I should've gotten your scent but I guess I was too pre-occupied... Hiei?" Kurama paused.

The Koorime looked down at the ground. "Her parents died on the day of her birth-I never knew."

"No one knew, Hiei. Akita doesn't tell anyone much. She expects whatever she revealed to someone to somehow return someday and attack her mercilessly. Comp...Hiei is pack as well. Stop giving him those looks." Kurama reprimanded.

"I'll carry her," Hiei said.

"She'll probably wake up. I don't think it's a- Hiei?" Kurama turned to only see intense red colored eyes that wanted to be boring holes into him.

"It wasn't an offer, Kurama. I said I would." Hiei took Akita from Kurama. Cradling her snugly to his chest, he began walking.

Kurama and Comp watched Hiei continue through the forest.

Suddenly, Hiei stopped when he felt Akita shift slightly.

Akita opened her eyes. Everything was blurry to her. I must be worse off than I thought... She looked up, trying to make out the features of this unknown person carrying her. It wasn't Kurama...she couldn't distinguish whose scent it was really. It felt as if all of her senses had been muffled somehow. The grip was strong and she had no strength to fight whoever it was. She reached a shaky hand out towards the face. Akita paused as her head began to spin and she blacked out once more.

Hiei felt the girl relax again. He stroked her hair gently. "It's okay, Akita. Everything will be alright... Kurama, her temperature has risen. We should return her to Genkai's...."

Kurama nodded. "Yes, we should go immediately."

"...but I wish I had more time with her. I'm not ready to give her back yet. It was foolish of her to come here and leave a clearly visible trail. The blood left her to be a vulnerable target. But, if she hadn't come, I never would've found her. It's impossible to track her spirit energy. Her energy's at an all-time low. You're fortunate that you can track her scent. When her mind's closed, I can't reach her. She makes me act so much like a human, Kurama. I don't understand these feelings of fear when I don't see her....loss....loneliness..." Hiei gazed at Akita lovingly.

"Love is complicated to comprehend, Hiei. This fear when you don't see her means you worry about her. You don't want to be alone because you think you won't ever have her again and you don't want to imagine the loss you would feel. Isn't that correct?" Kurama asked from his point walking behind Hiei.

The Koorime made no effort to reply. He had been struggling with these feelings for weeks. Now that the kitsune had put in his logic, it all made sense. Yet...it made him vulnerable. If someone ever killed Akita because of him...

A sharp bark cut into his thoughts like a knife.

"Yes, this is where the barrier used to be. We'll be going onto the human world."

Another bark; this one was questioning Kurama.

"The barrier disappeared after the Makai Tournament. A battle tournament of demons. And, yes, we'll be continuing through. Hiei, why did you stop? Are you going to continue through to Genkai's temple?" Kurama questioned.

Hiei looked over at Kurama. He contemplated for a moment before nodding. He followed after the kitsune into the human world.

Author's Note: Please review or give me input somehow.... you know the drill. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed it.