Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Lost and Found: Love ❯ The Finals; Haunted Soul ( Chapter 19 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A Past Love
Chapter 19: The Finals; Haunted Soul
Author's Note: This is my first Yu Yu Hakusho story I've written. I like comments and suggestions/criticism. But, if you don't like this story as you read it, it's kind of pointless just to tell me how much you hated it and how terrible I am. So, I want a reason for why you dislike it so much if you do. If you see a problem with it, state it. Otherwise, enjoy yourself. If you wouldn’t mind, a review would be nice.
Disclaimer: This is a story based upon characters of Yu Yu Hakusho. It is for entertainment purposes only.



“....ten! The winner of this match is Kuwabara!” Koto exclaimed.
As soon as the match was called to an end, Akita raced to the defeated demon. She threw Hana’s arm around her shoulder. “Can you stand?”
The blue-haired demon nodded.
“Easy.” Akita urged as she helped Hana out of the arena. She helped her sit up against a wall.
“I knew the rumors weren’t true,” Hana rasped. “I knew Kaida was lying about you abandoning Nariko.” She smiled with closed eyes and her head listed to the side as she lost consciousness.
Akita looked at the other cloaked figures. Who would be the next to step forward? She patted Hana’s shoulder as she returned to her side of the ring.
“Is she hurt too badly?” Kuwabara asked, concerned.
“She’ll live. Nothing life-threatening.” Akita said softly.
“Will the next two competitors please step into the ring?” Koto requested.
One from the Nariko team leapt and landed in the ring. The cloak was removed to reveal a young male who was about as tall as Kuwabara with mint green hair. He held a sword in his right hand.
“Kurama, he’s yours to defeat. He’s a disciple of Kaida’s and he can’t wield a sword to save his life. Just a simple plant could do him in. Even a slash of your Rose Whip will send him running.” Akita hissed to her brother.
“If none of you will mind that I take this fight? I’d like to gain these two victories quickly so we can take Kuwabara to be healed. The girls are staying at the hotel.” Without another word, Kurama strode towards the ring.
“Fighters ready? Begin!” Koto shouted.
The two remained motionless, staring each other down.
“By the time Kurama is done studying that boy, I’ll pass out from boredom.” Hiei muttered.
Yusuke sighed in agreement.
The male, called Kin, came at Kurama, sword in hand, ready to attack.
Kurama observed the boy for a moment. Watching his pursuit, he realized the difference between this boy’s stance and those of Akita and Hiei, both incredibly skilled and gifted with the sword. A foolish mistake... Kurama pulled a rose from beneath his red locks. “Rose Whip!” His green weapon wrapped around Kin’s sword and jerked it from his reach.
Kin’s hazel eyes widened in fear.
“It will be the last mistake you ever make, I’m afraid.” Kurama’s emerald colored eyes were hardened somehow. “If you can’t grip your own weapon properly, you don’t deserve to wield it.”
“P-P-Please, spare my life!” Kin begged, clearly trembling with fear.
He has a rotten, dirty soul. Kin has killed many innocent children and others that were weaponless. There was hatred in Akita’s thoughts.
But does he truly deserve death? Kurama asked through telepathy.
Akita’s eyes brimmed with loathing and revulsion. I watched him slaughter all of the children in a village. He lined them up and beheaded them one by one. Sloppily at that. He... Akita faltered for a moment. ...he almost killed Kaori. I stopped him.
“Kurama! Look out!” Yusuke called out.
“Baka kitsune!” Hiei exclaimed.
Kurama dodged, catching Kin’s sloppy sword chop in the shoulder. He winced. “Akita’s right about you. Only a fool would’ve attacked me just now. Your life is in my hands.” A seed lay in the palm of Kurama’s open right hand. “Have you any last words?”
Kin watched the redheaded human, eyes wary. “And what can some flower do to me?”
“Arrogant fool.” Akita muttered, glaring.
“I’ll show you.” The energy aura around Kurama changed as well as his voice. “They will show a fool exactly how to respect Youko Kurama.” Kurama’s angry emerald colored eyes shifted over to ones of pale amber before returning to their original bright green color.
Kin’s mouth shaped itself into a sneer. “Try it, weak human.”
“Apparently, you’ve never heard stories of Youko. Well, now you’ll know.” With a sudden burst of color, the seed burst into full bloom.
“Oh my... If you blinked, you missed Kurama’s final attack. I’m not even sure what just happened but we’ve got a beautiful plant creation and no sign of Kin at all. You know what that means. The winner of this match is Kurama!” Koto exclaimed with a flourish of her hand.
Kurama stepped out of the ring, his hands in his pockets.
“Good job, Kurama.” Yusuke congratulated his friend enthusiastically.
Akita eyed the remaining team members with cool interest. Who else had Nariko sent?
“Will the next combatants come into the ring?” Koto requested.
One team member from the opposite side walked into the ring. With a removal of the cloak, Kaida was revealed. She stared at the Urameshi team, her cold violet eyes settling upon Akita.
Akita glared right back, black eyes reflecting hatred.
“Is that Kaida?” Hiei was standing beside her, voice close to her ear.
Akita gave a curt nod.
“Well, who wants to fight her?” Yusuke asked his companions. “I’ll do it if no one else is interested.”
“I’ll do it.”
The four males looked at Akita in question. Her tone had been cold, low, and harsh. Something they hadn’t heard often before.
“She and I have a score to settle that only death will be appropriate.” Akita began to walk toward the ring. “Oh... and, Hiei?” She gazed back over her shoulder at her love.
Hiei waited for her response.
“Please...take care of Akiei and Toshiro. Never abandon them.” Akita continued walking, hands buried into the pockets of the cloak that Hiei had given her so long ago.
“Two female fighters. This should be a good one. Be sure to make it as bloody and gruesome as possible, ladies. Begin!” Koto backed up, standing a minor distance fron the center of the ring.
“Why, Kaida? What do you want? What will you gain?” Akita asked, tone simple and eyes sad.
“I could’ve been Nariko’s second in command. Because of you...I’m nothing to her.” Kaida’s violet eyes flashed with hatred.
“Your loss. If that’s why you’ve come today, you’ve just wasted your life.” Akita drew a katana, the blade directed at Kaida’s chest. “Draw your last breath. I’ll make it quick.”
Kaida smirked haughtily. “As if you could.” Blue and violet colored flames danced at her fingertips.
Akita’s glare deepened. “I can and I will.” She rushed forward, sword raised to strike.
Kaida met her attack with crossed knives. Dragon-fire danced on the blades. “If only the plant sorceress would’ve killed you. It never would’ve come to this.” She said, grinning smugly.
“Sada... You mean, that was your doing?” Akita asked, stunned.
“It was only too easy to plant that flute in her hands. You were so... distracted when you returned to Nariko...” Kaida commented, grinning manically.
***
“I’m glad you’ve come back to us, Akita. It...” Nariko slowly shook her head. “...just hasn’t been the same without you here.”
Akita nodded her head, eyes cast down at the floor.
“Will you be with us...long?” Nariko’s amber colored orbs held question in them.
Akita bit her lip and refused to make eye contact.
“So....you’ll leave me for him?” Nariko asked, understanding Akita’s unsaid words.
“I won’t say that I will. But, I won’t swear to you that I will always remain here.” The half-breed gestured to the room around them, indicating Nariko’s compound.
“But...you’re my friend.” Nariko’s eyes were sad. “The only friend I’ve ever had. I’ve had accomplices and allies. Never once did I have a friend besides you.” The female demon thief could only frown.
“I know...I know. You’re the best friend and ally I could ask for. Please, don’t think I’ll abandon you.” Akita found herself wrapped in a loose, friendly embrace of her long-time comrade and friend.
Nariko rested her chin on Akita’s head. “I’ll always care about you. I just want to ask you something...”
***
“When I was informed that she named you as her heir, I knew it was time to get rid of you.” The grating noise of the blades being slid across one another filled the air.
Akita’s eyes blazed hatred in their depths. “I hate greedy creatures like you. You want your greed to be satisfied. Mine was only satisfied through another.”
Hiei’s keen red eyes focused in upon his mate. She was trembling, having sealed the katana to her hand with ice. His gaze intensified and he summoned the powers of his Jagan to examine Akita’s aura. His eyes widened with dismay as he examined the results.
Akita’s aura was pulsing and flickering. Something was incredibly wrong. Or, at least very different.
“Who gave you the right to stand up on a soapbox and preach? You’re no better than the rest of us. At least we know that when we die-” Kaida lunged forward; the knives dancing with dragon flames were prepared to strike. “We’ll have something to take with us!”
“Fool.” Akita drew her Death Sword with her right hand. Flames shot up its’ length. “This fight is over.” Her slash sent flames through the air, catching Kaida right in the lower abdomen.
Kaida stumbled, crouched in a low position with her knees bent. She had dropped her one knife and was holding her right hand to cover the bleeding wound.
Akita stood over her, her blades poised to strike. “Don’t bother with a plea for mercy. There will be no allowance for one.”
Hiei saw her aura blaze, burning his eyes even to look at it through his Jagan. It wasn’t its usual mixture of red and blue color either. It was the color of blood.
Kaida chuckled. “You’re just like me. That’s why you want to kill me. You hate knowing that I am exactly what you are.”
Akita trembled. “You’re right. I am just like you. Unless I can feel the thrill of killing you, I won’t be satisfied.”
“Our souls are dark and tainted.” Kaida said with a grin.
“They are.” Akita’s sword drove straight through Kaida’s throat.
“The match is over. The winner is Akita.” Koto exclaimed. “Team Urameshi is the winner of the Dark Tournament once again!”
Akita collapsed to her knees. Her hands shook.
Yusuke jumped into the ring. He knelt beside her and rested a hand on her shoulder. “Hey. You okay?”
Kurama helped Kuwabara into the ring. “Akita? What did she say to you?”
Akita remained motionless and unable to answer.
Hiei walked slowly into the ring. He stopped a few feet from the rest of his team.
Akita looked at him, her eyes wide and frightened. “I...” I’ve done a bad thing.
Hiei was the only one to hear her.
***
Back at the hotel, everyone settled in to sleep peacefully. The award ceremony would take place tomorrow and then it would be farewell to Hanging Neck Island once more for the original members of Team Urameshi on the first time around.
Akita stood on the edge of a cliff overlooking the water.
The water glistened and shimmered in the soft, pale moonlight.
“You should be asleep.” Hiei commented as he emerged from the shadows.
Akita did not reply. She only stared out at the endless water.
Hiei gritted his teeth and stalked forward, gripping Akita by the shoulder. He turned her to face him. “What the hell is the matter with you? Ever since that fight today you haven’t spoken! Kaida had to die. She tried to kill you. She-” He stopped.
Akita didn’t respond. Her eyes were eerily blank.
Hiei softened. “Akita, I’m just-”
“If you’re so worried, leave me alone!” Akita snapped, tears sliding down her cheeks. They slid down and dropped into two imperfect hiruiseki stones on the ground.
“Akita-”
“Don’t touch me!” Akita’s voice was shrill and tears continued to fall. She blindly brushed them away. “I’m dirty. Just like Kaida...I’m just like her.” Akita’s tone had developed almost into hysterical as she dropped to the ground, her legs collapsing from under her. Her head hung as she buried her face in her hands, weeping.
Hiei was startled by Akita‘s sudden display of emotion. What was wrong with her? He knelt down beside her and pulled her into his arms. Stroking her hair, with his mouth close to his ear, he whispered soothingly over and over again, “It’s alright. It is going to be all right...”
Akita closed her eyes, still trembling. “I hate myself for what I’ve done.” She suddenly looked up into Hiei’s deep, dark crimson eyes with an unsettling intensity. “Do you hate me?”
“Do you think that everyone but you has a clean slate?! Do you think you’re the only one who’s ever done anything wrong?!!” Hiei demanded incredulously. He gripped her arms, applying light pressure. The jaganshi leaned forward, planting a shy kiss on her forehead. “I love you. Doesn’t that count for anything? Do you even remember what love is?”
Akita sighed and rested in his arms, silent tears trailing down her cheeks. “Love is when you care for someone without any strings attached no matter what.”
The pair remained entwined together, Akita resting her head against Hiei’s chest.
The wind whispered softly and, suddenly, rain began to pour rapidly from the sky, drenching the two.
“Perhaps we should return.” Hiei helped Akita to stand.
Akita smiled. She wrapped her arms around Hiei’s waist. “I love you too, Hiei...” She released him, laughing and began to spin beneath the dark sky, arms open and palms facing upward.
Hiei sighed, shaking his head hopelessly. I may never understand females and their behavior...
With her face turned upward, Akita felt the raindrops splatter against her skin in little bubbles filled with coolness. Forgiveness...it is a wonderful thing...
***
Akita rushed inside the room, shivering. Her clothes were soaked and her teeth chattered.
“If you’ll just let me hold you for a moment, you won’t be so cold. I can dry your clothes at least- eh?” Hiei raised a confused eyebrow.
Akita’s clothes were scattered about the room. She reappeared, wrapped in a blanket, her expression identical to Hiei’s own. “What are you doing standing around? Aren’t you coming to bed?”
Hiei shook his head hopelessly. “You’re a very puzzling creature...”
Akita blushed sheepishly as she quickly picked up her clothes and tried to keep a towel wrapped around her wet hair. A hand appeared over hers and squeezed gently.
“Why don’t you call Genkai? I’ll clean up your stuff.” Hiei offered.
Akita smiled and went into the bedroom to find the cellular phone. After a conversation with Genkai, she hung up, reassured that her children had been fed and cared for by Keiko. Akiei, Toshiro, and Kazuo were already sleeping. Akita sighed happily and turned to go in search for Hiei.
Hiei stood at the bedroom window. “They’re alright, then?”
Akita nodded.
Hiei turned to face his mate. She was still wrapped only in a blanket. “Do you want to?”
Akita began to undo his belts.
Hiei tilted her chin up and kissed her.
***
“Well, what are your requests?” The child-sized ruler with a pacifier in his mouth sat, awaiting Team Urameshi’s reply.
“Keiko’s frail mortality. I want her to be with me for as long as I live and after death naturally,” Yusuke replied.
“Yukina’s happiness is what I request.”
“Nothing for yourself, Kuwabara?” Koenma asked, a curious eyebrow raised.
“No. As long as she has what she wants, I’ll be happy too.” Kuwabara said with a faint smile.
“As for you three?” The prince looked to the three demons.
“When I deem necessary, I’ll use my wish.” Kurama answered.
“Hn.”
“Same for me, Koenma. You’ll just owe us.” Akita said with a wink.
“How unfortunate for me. Three demons with promises that I must grant. Botan, will you escort them out?” Koenma requested.
***
Akita stood on the balcony that overlooked Mukuro’s territory.
“What are you doing?” A shadow landed on the balcony’s railing, materializing into the diminutive jaganshi.
Akita shrugged. “Are Akiei and Toshiro sleeping?”
Hiei did not answer. He leapt down from the railing, landing softly on his feet. “What’s wrong?”
“Are we going to keep evading one another’s questions?” Akita asked, an air of calm around her.
“Is that what you would prefer?” Hiei replied.
Akita grinned and chuckled. “How was patrolling Mukuro’s territory today?”
“You’re giving up your banter?” Hiei asked, ignoring the question.
Akita glared at Hiei and walked away.
Hiei touched the railing that Akita had been leaning on moments before. He closed his eyes. In less than a breath, he saw, thought, and felt exactly what Akita had before he had found her.
Why is it always like this? I’ve been back from the Tournament for almost a month now. Akita closed her eyes, recalling a nightmare. Will it ever stop haunting me? Those violet eyes...devoid of feeling. Why did it have to end that way? Why?! I’m...I’m... Fear, anguish, distress, sorrow, grief, and sadness flowed through her in a jumble of confusion. Suddenly, a shadow appeared out of the corner of her eye.
“What are you doing?” A familiar male voice asked, pulling her from the abyss of her mind.
Hiei was jerked out of the connection as the nightmare that haunted Akita flashed through his mind once more. The image of the nightmare had fled from her mind when he had made an appearance. Her nightmare... Dark purple eyes watched constantly as Akita watched herself kill not only Kaida but also apparently every other creature she had slain. The nightmare advanced into showing her kill all of her friends and allies. The last that she murdered was her mate, who held her children in his arms. “You’re just like me. That’s why you want to kill me. You hate knowing that I am exactly what you are,” Kaida’s chilling voice accused over and over as the bloody sword was raised once more.
Hiei wrenched his hands from the railing, gasping for breath. What was happening? The bond between his mate and himself was increasing and becoming more and more powerful each day. How was that possible? Was Akita going through the same things? He’d have to ask. But that nightmare... The jaganshi clutched his head in both hands, letting his legs collapse out from under him. Was this the torture and torment that Akita went through constantly?
Hiei got quickly to his feet and raced to his rooms.
***
Akita ran a slender blade down the length of her arm. A trail of dark, distinctive drops followed the knife along its course. I’ll end up killing them. I’ll go mad...driven by that insanity...I’ll...I’ll... Her dark eyes fell upon the bassinet where her children were sleeping.
The two were still so small.....they were over a year old and developing amazingly. The twins were sleeping peacefully no doubt.
Hiei was probably speaking with Mukuro before coming to bed.
The three were unaware of the female’s distress. No one would know...until it was too late.
The silver knife blade ran across her neck lightly. It was sharp enough to kill. The Child of Death...the Angel of Death....was doomed to destroy everything around her and bring about her own undoing...
I love you...Hiei...
The doors were flung open violently.
A panicked Hiei stood in the doorway. His eyes widened with sudden comprehension. He rushed forward. “Don’t you dare!”
“Don’t come any closer!” Akita exclaimed. Her hand trembled but steadied. “I have to go, Hiei. I’m tainted. Just like Kaida. I’ll kill all of you...”
“What kind of garbage is this?! Those are all lies! I don’t know what caused you to crack at that tournament but don’t even begin to think that you and that scum bitch have anything in common besides the both of you being female demons! If I can’t convince you, look at those two children you bore. The ones we created together! Can you really abandon the ones that you love so dearly?!” Hiei was livid with anxiety. Panic, worry, and even fear pulsed through his veins. He took a small step forward. “Please, just put that dagger down.” He slowly progressed forward, trying to keep it as inconspicuous as possible.
Akita’s eyes widened.
Hiei was in her mind, reliving the nightmare again.
Akita woke from it every night in a cold sweat. There was no use returning to sleep; it would only repeat. It never ended! “Hiei...”
A strong hand gripped Akita’s wrist. “Let go of it.” Hiei pulled the hand wrapped around the knife away from Akita’s throat.
Akita obeyed. The knife clattered to the floor.
Hiei placed gentle fingers to her temples. “I’ll erase it all. I’ll erase this nightmare that you live every day. I’ll erase the memory of murdering Kaida. I’ll erase everything just to have my Akita back.” His Jagan glowed, pulsing with power. I’ll do it all for you, my love.
In that instant, Akita heard Hiei’s thought. She hadn’t heard nor felt him since the Dark Tournament.
“Let go of these memories, Akita. They’re only destroying you from the inside out. They’re rotting your brain, causing you to hate yourself. Forget it all....let go. Or else I’ll do it for you.” Hiei said, his voice strong.
Akita gazed into her mate’s eyes and then made contact with Jagan. She allowed her eyelids to fall. I’ll let go of these memories...I’ll them go...just so I won’t lose you, Hiei... The female demoness collapsed into the Koorime’s strong arms, unconscious.
The Jagan closed. Hiei lifted Akita up and walked towards the bed. He stopped, pausing to gaze at the sleeping toddlers. They had unknowingly saved their mother’s life. He would never forget it.
***
Hiei opened his eyes, startled. He reached his hand out over the sheets, troubled at their emptiness. His hand gripped the sheets tightly and Hiei launched himself from the bed. Grabbing his katana, he raced from the bedchamber. Running through the halls, his eyes darted everywhere. Where could she have gone?
“Master Hiei?”
Hiei froze, nearly skidding into a wall. “What is it?”
The imp looked up at Hiei. “Mistress Akita departed early this morning. She asked that I tell you not worry. She will be returning before long.”
Hiei snarled at the imp. “Where did she go?!”
“My apologies, Master. She did not say.” The imp replied meekly.
“Inform me as soon as she is sighted on her return. Understand?!” Hiei stormed away.
“Ever since the mistress entered his life, Master Hiei has never been the same...” The imp sighed and vanished from the hall.
***
Akita slipped into Nariko’s compound. Slinking amongst the shadows, she blended flawlessly with the darkness.
“Nice try.”
Akita nearly fell over before she quickly regained her composure. “You shouldn’t sneak up on your elders, Hana. You could give them a heart attack...” Akita scolded.
“Aw, you never let me have any fun,” Hana retorted with a wink. “Anyways, what are you doing here?”
“Just came to say hello to Nariko. I won’t be long. Is she out?” Akita asked.
“Nah, she should be working on some paperwork. Well, better finish patrolling for invaders. I’ll see you before you leave....” Hana walked away, humming. She then teleported out of sight.
Akita smiled and headed inside.
***
“This is a surprise, Akita. Why the sudden drop by?” Nariko asked, pouring another cup of tea for her heir.
“Just thought I’d come for a visit. It’s been awhile after all. How are things now?” Akita asked, blowing on her tea gently to cool it.
“You mean now that you’ve eliminated Kaida? It’s kinda boring.” Nariko set the teacup back down, clinking it in its saucer. “I mean, with no threat of an uprising and no one to try and take away my power, my amusement has been low. Akizoko is on a lookout for a treasure that’s worth stealing but so far we haven’t had any luck. These are the times when I’m worried that I might have to disband.” The demon sighed dramatically. “The pains of a leader. You’ll have to deal with this some day. But, as the co-leader, I’m expecting you to take up some work soon.”
“All right, I get the message. If you start nagging me about taking up my position, I’ll resign.” Akita muttered, crossing her arms defiantly.
“Don’t make me ground you as if I were your parent. I have demons working for me that could force you to stay here and I have quite a few rooms, which I could confine you to. You’re going to have to take some responsibility soon. Anyway, enough with the badgering, I’m sure you’d like to visit with some of your devoted friends. You’re dismissed. Get out of my sight before I change my mind.” Nariko returned to her paperwork.
Akita stood, walking towards the door.
“You know, I might end up having to employ one of your offspring to take over if you refuse.” Nariko commented, taking her eyes off of her files momentarily.
“If they’re going to act as a secretary, go right ahead. If it’s more interesting than that, I’m up for it.” Akita flashed a thumbs up and winked. “I’ll be back next week, first thing in the morning.” She departed, closing the door behind her.
Nariko shook her head, chuckling.
***
“Master Hiei, Mistress Akita has returned.” An imp stated. “She appeared on the eastern part of Lord Mukuro’s territory and is swiftly approaching.”
Hiei did not say anything as he rushed to find his mate. He stopped at the entrance to Mukuro’s compound, waiting.
Akita walked slowly, hands hidden in the sleeves of her kimono. “Did you miss me?” She was instantly wrapped in a tight embrace. With a smile, she leaned her head against Hiei’s chest, listening to a heartbeat. “I missed you too.”
You have no idea how worried I was... The embrace tightened and Hiei’s fingers lingered in the strands of silky hair. His sigh was relieved. I didn’t know if you were going to come back...
Akita heard Hiei’s confession. “I’m sorry.”
Hiei released her. “I’m glad you returned. In more ways than one.” His lips lifted ever so slightly into a smile.
Akita took his hand and walked alongside him.
“Now that you’ve come back, would you like to come on a patrol with me?” Hiei asked.
Akita smiled. “As long as I’m at your side, I don’t care what we do.” I’ll never leave you again. I promise.
“I’m glad to hear you’ve returned to normal. The twins are with Yukina for the day. I asked if she wouldn’t mind watching them.” Hiei let Akita’s hand go and began running.
Akita grinned as she hurried to catch up. She would always be happy as long as she had Hiei.
I feel the exact same way, Hiei’s voice commented within her mind.


Author’s Note: Please review or give me input somehow.... you know the drill. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed it.
Converting /tmp/phpKkG2BP to /dev/stdout