Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Lost Memories ❯ Curses and Cures? ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Several hours later, Yusuke pushed himself away from the desk, rubbing his eyes. "Half of that doesn't make any sense and the other half we have to talk to her again."

"You talked with her?" Botan asked, standing in the door way, holing a stack of paper and books.

"She was awake for a few minutes," Kurama answered. "She told us she was hearing death screams and Yusuke remembered reading about them."

Botan allowed an impressed look to cross her face. "Well, that narrows down some of what I brought." She dumped the stack on the desk after Kurama grabbed the book and the notes he and Yusuke had been working on. The two of them began correlating the information they found, talking rapidly in the half sentences and noises common to researchers and completely incomprehensible to those listening.

Yusuke, tired of the book work, wandered over to look at the strange girl that had given them much grief. Her face was more tense now that she had been awake. Her eyes were darting around under her eyelids and shadows of emotions, mostly fear and loathing, flickered across her features. He wondered what could cause her such agony. She had seemed so self assured when he last saw her. He looked at Hiei, still sitting on the foot of the bed. Hiei returned his gaze and shook his head at the unspoken question. Her mind continued to elude him. Yusuke's gaze returned to the girl's face. Her eyes continued to flutter and he was surprised to see them open, gaze unfocused. He was about to call the others when she gasped, attracting their attention. "Engel! Ich sehe Engel. Sie singen." Her face was transformed, almost glowing, though her eyes remained void. Her eyes closed slowly and she settled back to sleep.

Kurama puzzled, "Angels singing?"

"I guess so, she looks happy now," Yusuke returned.

"That doesn't fit with this list, though."

"Let me see that list. I think I saw parts of it in one of these," Botan gestured to the pile in front of her. She flipped though the pages of an old looking book. Her lips frowned as she compared several pages to the list Kurama gave her. "Bingo! Here it is, but parts of her list are different, but look, here it is!" She shoved the book at Kurama, "Here is the screaming, here the singing. Here it is on her list but instead of `singing' it says `babbling.'"

"Okay, so now we know what's wrong with her?" Kuwabara asked. "That means we can fix her, too, right?"

Botan and Kurama exchanged glances, Botan answering, "No, not yet. We've narrowed it down from all of this," she gestured to the desk, "to three pages of possibilities. Some of these list no cures, though." Her usually happy face looked troubled.

"Well, how will we know what is wrong with her?"

Before either bookworm could answer, "I can hear her angels…and I can almost hear her," Hiei spoke up, a look of intense concentration on his face.

"What do they say?" Botan asked, the book again on her lap.

Hiei concentrated a bit longer. "They're not saying anything I understand…it sounds like random babbling noises. Even her German talking sounds more like a language than the noises."

Botan ran her fingers down the pages. She bit her lip when she looked up. "Well, that narrows it down to three causes. One's a pathogen…a toxin that shouldn't exist in the human world. One's a curse with no counter curse. The last is one that has to be undone at the full moon, which is tomorrow."

"How do we know which it is? Can't doing the wrong thing be just as bad as doing nothing?" Yusuke asked.

"Umm…well, the book doesn't give anymore symptoms." Botan admitted.

"Her book lists one more symptom. `The mind without a name can be retaught, but if the name be known, then hope be fraught.'" Kurama spoke up.

"Couldn't she write in plain simple language?" Yusuke exclaimed in frustration. He had spent the last week reading more riddles than he had ever wanted to in his entire life.

"This isn't as bad as some of the riddles we've gotten through already this week. It seems to say that if she knows her name then it's incurable, but if she doesn't know her name, then we can help her." Kurama answered.

"So, we just wait for her to wake up again and ask her name?" Kuwabara asked, wanting to show he could follow the conversation and be of use.

Kurama shrugged, "That seems to be what we need to do."

A/N Okay, slightly short chapter….Why must I torment my poor Bekka? Anyway…isn't it just convenient that the book of shadows has all the answers? lol Now, the cliffy questions: Will Bekka remember her name? Will Loki cause trouble (he is the god of mischief after all…how hard it is for him to be helpful)? Will the author's notes get cornier than all get out? Tune in next time….lol