Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Lost Memories ❯ Who are you? ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Bekka slept through the night and woke the next morning. Hiei had left sometime during the night, only commenting before he left that her mind seemed much closer. Kuwabara and Yusuke had also returned to their homes. Botan and Kurama spent the night looking over the lists they had pared down to the two remaining curses and toxin. They tried to think of a way to test for the toxin, but there was nothing listed in any of the books, only an antidote that could kill a person who had not been exposed to the toxin. They figured their best option was to try the countercurse if she had forgotten her name. Botan reported their progress to Koenma and he ordered further review of the archives. The two eventually succumbed to the long watch and fell asleep with their heads on the stack of books.

Just past dawn, Bekka opened her eyes. She could still hear and see the angels. She wanted them to come to her, "Komm, komm fur mich, doch bitte" (Come, come for me, please). She sat up, reaching for the ceiling.

The sound of speaking and movement roused Kurama from his light doze. He looked over and saw Bekka reaching, her face alight, but her eyes continued to be unfocused. He walked over to her, touching her hands, causing her to focus on him. "Was siest du?" (What do you see?) he asked her quietly.

"Die Englen. Aber, sie komt nict fur mich. Warum?" (The angles. But they won't come for me. Why?)

"Weil du noch am Leben sein." (Because you are still alive). He heard Botan rouse behind him.

Bekka frowned at him. "Wie kann ich die Englen hoeren, ob ich jetz am Leben sein?" (How can I hear the angels if I'm still alive?)

"Weil du sehr krank sein." (Because you've been very sick)

She continued to frown, looking at him and over his shoulder at, he guessed, the angels. Her eyes were more focused than the last time she was awake. He could hear Botan moving behind him and figured now was as good a time as any to ask what could be the most important question he'd ever asked. "Wie heisst du?" (What is your name?)

Her eyes focused sharply on him, her expression telling him she thought the question was strange. He could almost see her mind working as the sharpness of her gaze changed into confusion. She dropped his gaze and blushed, "Ich weis es nicht." (I don't know.)

He turned to face Botan and smiled, relief evident on his face. He faced Bekka again, "Was hast du dich erinnern an?" (What do you remember?)

Her face contorted with concentration. She bit her lower lip, shaking her head, "Ich habe mich nur Todesstimme und Englen erinnern an. Ich habe hunger." (I only remember the death voices and the angels. I'm hungry.)

"Naturalich, du hast sehr lang geschlaft. Moment, bitte." (Naturally, you've been asleep a long time. Just a minute, please.)

He went downstairs to the kitchen, Botan following him. "Well?" she demanded.

"She doesn't remember her name, or anything else, really. She's hungry."

Botan slumped against the counter in excess of relief, causing Kurama to chuckle at her. "Well, then, I guess I'll go get the things we need to try that spell, then." She bounced off the counter and went out the door.

Kurama was warming up some soup for the girl upstairs when he heard something hit the floor in his room. He took the stairs three at a time and nearly went through the closed door before he got it open. The scene that greeted him almost made him laugh. Bekka had fallen on the floor and was looking at Hiei in the window, who looked mildly surprised to see her awake. Bekka turned when she heard the door open, pointed at Hiei, saying, "Er kam durch dem fenster!" (He came through the window!)

Kurama smiled, "Ja, ich weis. Er kam durch dem fenster immer. Er sind ein Freund." (Yeah, I know. He always comes through the window. He's a friend.) Turning to Hiei, he started to explain, only to be cut off.

"I heard that in her mind. I don't understand the words, but I understand the meaning."

"Even more good news, then. She doesn't know her name, either."

"Hn, so tonight we have to do some spell or other?"

"Yeah, according to the book, we need five people for the spell. Each of the elements. Hopefully, Botan will be able to stand in for void." He heard the microwave beep downstairs. "She was hungry. Entshuldigung." (Excuse me.) He left the room and returned with the soup.

Bekka ate hungrily while Hiei and Kurama talked about what would be required to work the spell. "Botan went to get the items we'll need. It looks like a complicated spell, too. When we get out of school today, we'll go over it, trying to work out the bugs before we do it tonight."

"What are you going to do with her today?"

Kurama looked embarrassed. "I hadn't thought of that. I guess she could go to school with me, if she wants. Or maybe she should sleep through the day? But she's been asleep for a week. I guess I should ask her." He turned to Bekka, only to find her asleep again after finishing the soup. He smiled and turned back to Hiei. "I guess that answers that. Do you mind staying with her while the rest of us are at school?"

"You mean Yusuke is actually going to school today?"

"He said it was easier than puzzling over the riddles," Kurama shrugged from his closet, grabbing clean clothes and going into the bathroom to change.

"Hn, at least her being here has done some good," Hiei returned when Kurama returned.

A/N: Well…it's another chapter….of nonsense :D Will poor Bekka have a curse or be poisoned? Will Loki continue to behave or will his natural tendency toward mischief take over and bring much hilarity (and make this that much harder to write? ;) )? Who know? The muse knows….and I will, when he starts telling me….*grrr* :D