Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ My Crimson Eyed Angel ❯ Flowing Like Red Waters ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Flowing Like Red Waters

Standard Disclaimer: Sorry folks, I wish I did own YYH, but unfortunately that is not so, a girl can dream though can't she???

The girl ran up the steps, glancing nervously at her watch. She'd have to run all the way to school, again. She muttered some colorful words as she distractedly shoved a pile of papers in a large wooden chest. She slammed the lid down, pulled out a key from her pocket, and locked it securely. She slipped her feet into a pair of simple brown school shoes, sped down the stairs, and out of her front door.

With her school bag in hand and her caramel hair tied back with a hurried hand, she sprinted down the sidewalk on her way to school. A long while ago, she was worried about what the neighbors would think, or people she passed on the street would say, but not anymore. Her tardiness was now very well known in her 'new' neighborhood. She still refused to call this place her home. She had left her home a long time ago and half of her was still waiting to go back.

The sky had already been dark when she had stepped outside of her house. The menacing clouds hovered over her, a dark premonition, a warning of some sort. A roll of thunder erupted from the heavens making her pick up speed although she was near exhaustion already. She was almost there. A drop of rain pricked her skin like a needle. The rain started slightly, barely noticeable, and in a crescendo, it fell down in harder, pounding down on her fragile form.

The schoolyard was empty when she arrived. Several students lingered in the hallways for a few moments dreading class and trying to finish some homework. She ran past them, not looking back when the made comments about her drenched physical state. She looked ahead to her class, then to her watch. There was five seconds left until the tardy bell rang. She kept running, and her teacher was preparing to shut the door, unaware of her desperate attempt to be on time.

Three…Two…One…and she barely slipped by…

She practically dove into the classroom, soaked to the bone, and then slipped on the wet floor and fell flat on her back. She lay there and closed her eyes, listening to the snickers of her classmates. She didn't really care what they thought anyways. She didn't care much about anything anymore.

"Misako? Misako-chan are you alright?" Asked a familiar voice, but Misako left her eyes closed. She wanted to the laughter and comments to wash over her like the rain; she wanted to drown in it. "Misako, open your eyes. Please Misako, get up." The voice begged and pleaded, terror had leeched onto it, adding to its persuasion.

"I'm fine Leiko." She said in a sigh, her eyes still tightly shut. Her teacher was shushing the class into silence, but she could still hear the whispers. "I'll get up in a minute. I just want to revel in my lack of embarrassment."

"Stop being so apathetic all the time and get up already. Mr. Seriyuki is giving you The Look." Leiko grinned at her incapacitated friend, and earned a smile back. "But seriously Misako-chan, get up already. I think you've reveled plenty."

"Heh, shows what you know." She looked up at Leiko, and seeing the worry in her friend's eyes she gave in. "Fine. I'm fine, I'll get up. Mr. Seriyuki is probably pissed already anyways." Her classmates snickered behind their hands, hiding their conspicuous giggles from their instructor, who pretended not to hear the remark.

"Alright class, the comedy act is over. Misako get to your seat, try not to drip everywhere…" The teacher opened his glasses case and examined his spectacles, wiping off the faintest traces of dust or grime. "By the way Misako," he said in between rubs, "It's called an umbrella. Use it the next time it rains. That's what people with common sense do." Again the class responded with laughter, the brownnosers making sure to embellish their apparent joy at the teacher's wisecrack.

Misako stared through sleepy eyes at Mr. Seriyuki. She dragged her bangs down with her hand so they shielded her eyes from other prying ones. If she sat down just right maybe Mr. Seriyuki wouldn't realize she was quietly napping…

The surface of the lake was like glass, a serene mask to what wonders and horrors that lay beneath it. The moon stared down at its reflection, its circular orb turned from silver to rust. The wind whispered softly through the air, through Misako's slight curls that adorned her head, masses of thick caramel waves that fell past her shoulders. A lovely white gown flowed around her body, more like an aura rather than a piece of clothing. She leaned in toward the water kneeling on the soft bank of the lake; her hazel eyes were searching. They scanned the water, trying to probe the surface to what was hiding beneath.

Suddenly she saw a pair of eyes. They were vague at first, just blurs in the ripples they appeared in, but they took form soon enough. And a face started to appear around it. The face had black hair with strange colored highlights and the most beautiful eyes…crimson like the rusted moon. The face, the boy in the water, she knew him. Her lips tried to form his name, but they couldn't. Her mind tried to piece together the letters but only made them more fragmented.

Misako shut her eyes.

Why don't I know you're name?

The face just stared back at her sadly and silently.

"Why don't I know your name?" She screamed out into the night. The wind stopped. And all she could here was…nothing. Her voice hadn't made a sound. And as if of its own volition her body waded into the water, thrashing her arms. She waded all the way to the center to where the face was and she tried to scream again. Still there was no sound.

Misako's hands curled into a fist and her nails dug into her skin…until little droplets of blood began to fall into the water. And the face began to fade and to blur until all that was left was the red of its eyes and the red of her blood. She swung her arms violently, pounding at the gentle surface of the lake. And she could hear the low sound of laughter and voices, but she couldn't see their source. The darkness hid them well within its cloaking shadows. She didn't care anymore. She forgot everything except for the primal need to tear away at the water.

She stopped short when she found another face coming together in the ripples. It was her, and the moon shone in the background, a sinister red. The only image more hellish than that was of her. Her beautiful dress, so pure had turned ragged. It didn't fit right and it was wet and it too was stained an ugly shade of death. Her hair was flat and hung shabbily around her. The worst part was her eyes. They glowed like a bloodlust as tears fell out of them coloring the pool around her crimson.

As she glanced down once more her reflection was starting to shatter. Shards of herself began to rise out of the water, flying wildly around her so close they cut her. Over and over again she received nicks and slashes on her bare arms and on her face and the pool began to overflow. Misako looked up in despair to find the rusting moon falling from the sky into the lake. All she could do was stare in panic as it made impact with the water. She didn't move a muscle as a great tidal wave swept across, drowning her.


"Hiei…" Snapped a voice impatiently. "Hiei, are you even paying attention?" Keiko asked.

Hiei blinked and stared past her for a moment before focusing. What was that feeling that he was getting…"Of course I was listening, not that I need to. Your ningen rambling about your young is not necessary."

"Izanami is must go to bed at eight thirty. She has her spelling test tomorrow and please make sure that she studies. She's always getting into some sort of mischief. And make sure to watch out for Masakazu, with him being a toddler he's starting to go all over the place. And don't yell at him if he cries, it'll just make it worse, but don't let him act up and cry for no reason. And please don't take them out gallivanting off with you into the night. There are all types of crazy people out there and I don't want anything to happen."

The fire demon just stared at her disbelievingly. "Hn…right. Crazy people…" He raised an eyebrow as he stood before this worried mother.

Keiko heaved a sigh, "Well, I'm sure I won't have much to worry about, seeing as to the fact that Kurama will be coming over in a few hours. I'm sure he'll make sure everything's alright."

Hiei smirked and muttered, "It's more likely the kitsune will make it worse…" Keiko turned her head to him and gave him a questioning look, but he just shrugged it off as he turned away.

"Honestly Hiei, I'm really not that worried. The kids really love you, and Yusuke and I really appreciate you babysitting again. Personally I don't know how Yusuke persuaded you the first time, but I'm happy. Thanks for going through all of this. It means a lot to Yusuke and me."

"Hn. Just leave already woman." Hiei said impatiently, making Keiko glance at her watch.

The brunette smiled at her newfound babysitter, "Thanks for the reminder Hiei. I'm almost running late." The she grabbed her coat and walked out the door, leaving Hiei with a smirk on his face.

"Uncle Hiei." Came a tiny little voice as a small hand tugged on his shirt. "Uncle Hiei, can I read to you and Kazu-chan? Please Uncle Hiei, please?" Her big brown eyes twinkled at him pleadingly.

Hiei nodded, but he could still sense that little trill of feeling he had just a few minutes before and he just couldn't shake it off…
!