Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ One Week ❯ Friday ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

One Week

Chapter Six - Friday

Kurama's eyes opened blearily. His body was comfortably warm and he didn't want to be awake. He could just sleep the day away…

…If the sun hadn't been glaring through the window. He buried his face in the material next to him in an attempt to block out the sun. He sighed contentedly into his pillow. It moved. Wavy black hair hung next to his cheeks.

"Wha?" he asked, confused. He blinked, looking upward into Karasu's face. "AHHHHHHH!" he screeched, realizing just what his `pillow' was. "GET AWAY FROM ME, YOU PERVERTED FREAK!" he yelled into Karasu's ear.

Karasu looked up at Kurama. "Hmm?" he asked, tightening his hold on Kurama's waist.

Kurama whimpered, attempting to wriggle out of Karasu's grasp. "Get off meeeeeeeeeee," he squeaked.

"Urgh… I have a headache…" Karasu mumbled, sitting up. Kurama rolled off the bed and hit the floor. "Kurama?" he asked, concerned.

"I slept with Karasu!"

Karasu rolled his eyes. "You're the one who pulled me into bed with you."

"I SLEPT WITH KARASU! EWWWWW!" Kurama procured a bar of soap from Nowhereâ"¢ and began scrubbing his arm with it.

"…I don't see what the big deal is…" Karasu yawned.

"I was drunk! You shouldn't have taken advantage of me while I was drunk!" Little tears made tracks down Kurama's cheeks.

"…We didn't do anything," Karasu said. He slid out of bed. "…You'd better start getting ready for school. We'll be late if we don't hurry."

"I'm not going," Kurama huffed, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Why not?" Karasu asked, concerned.

"I feel sick." Kurama hugged himself tighter.

"Well, you did drink a whole bottle of sake…"

He shook his head. "No, that's not it." Kurama had stopped crying by now, but there were still tears in his eyes. "You… you lied," he stated flatly.

"What do you mean?"

"…you told me that you weren't like him. But you are… you're just like him…" Kurama stood, head bowed; his fringe covered his eyes.

"Ku-Kurama? What's wrong?" Karasu asked, worried. He put a hand on either of Kurama's shoulders, staring into the boy's face.

"The bet's done for, Karasu. I don't care anymore; you had better leave me alone from now on."

"…Why? What did I do?" Karasu asked, at a loss.

"I'm sick of you, all right! I don't want to hear from you ever again!" Without another word, he stormed from the room; a minute later, the front door slammed shut. Karasu walked out of his bedroom in a daze, staring out the window; Kurama was storming off down the street. His eyes followed the tall, red-haired figure down the block while the TV droned on uselessly.

Karasu sank down on the couch. He stared at the Television, not really paying much attention to it. He had thought that Kurama was starting to like him at least a little… but then this happens.

"…tropical depression…" the meteorologist droned, pointing to a large map of Japan.

It was all his fault, really. He should have given Kurama more time to get used to him before doing something so drastic… but it had been Kurama himself who had initiated the Karasu-sleeps-with-Kurama episode…

"…later tonight…"

Karasu sighed. Life officially sucked.

"…take cover…"

"…but I love you, Kurama… I love you…" Karasu stared at the ceiling, blinking the tiny drops out of his eyes. "…I couldn't hate you because you ruined my life… I just had to love you…"

Karasu had moved to Tokyo when he was twelve. Before he had moved to Tokyo, he had been the brightest kid in school and his parents had adored him. But in Tokyo, there was someone who was smarter than him-Minamino Shuuichi.

At first, his parents had said that being second-best was all right; he was just off because he hadn't settled into the new city yet. Of course, after a few months Minamino still got better grades than Karasu, and his parents couldn't explain it away.

So, they started ignoring him. His father became the Vice President of his company and was never home; his mother wrote a series of bestselling novels and was always out of town, promoting her books. And so Karasu was alone.

He had missed his parents at first. He was furious at Shuuichi for making his parents hate him. But then he realized… Shuuichi wasn't trying to hurt him. In fact, the boy had been one of the nicest people he had ever met. He suddenly found himself staring at Shuuichi all through class. He began noticing things about the boy that he'd never really paid attention to before. Shuuichi, with his long red hair and heavily lashed emerald eyes, looked like a really pretty girl.

The simple attraction had quickly snowballed into something more and it was increasingly hard for Karasu to hold his feelings in. He felt things he never had before-just seeing the boy smile made him indescribably happy. He knew he had to say something or his heart would burst.

Shuuichi had been shocked by his confession. That was the first time he had seen the eloquent boy at a loss for words. Needless to say, Kurama didn't return his feelings-to him, Karasu was just another kid in his class. He was only one of many fans who weren't even wanted, much less appreciated.

But Karasu was determined. His stalking became obsessive. Pretty soon, he knew more about Shuuichi than most of the boy's own friends knew- he loved dark chocolate and honey but hated most other sweets, he liked dancing in the rain, and he sang and danced to the radio when he thought no one was listening. Everything was going fine and dandy until Shuuichi got a boyfriend.

Kuronue was bad news. Karasu had advised Kurama not to become romantically involved with him-that would probably be the only time when he and Hiei would agree. Kurama didn't listen, though. Kurama isn't the type of person who listens to good advice. It's his downfall.

"Damn Kuronue…" Karasu spat, a lone tear rolling down his cheek. "…you hurt my Kura-chan…"

*~*

Kurama stumbled through the door. He leaned against it, trying to catch his breath.

"Shuuichi, is that you?" Shiori asked.

"…yes," Kurama managed to gasp out.

"Youko got here a few minutes ago. Why aren't you at school?"

"Sick," he lied, and went to collapse in his bed. He rested his head on the pillow, staring at the sliver of golden light that came through the crack in his door. The gold was interrupted for a moment; someone had walked in front of his door.

"Where's Shuu?" came the voice from outside his bedroom.

"He said he was sick. I'm worried about him-he's acted so strangely this week… he was sick on Monday, too… and then he had detention on Tuesday and he brought someone home who I'd never met before… he was a charming boy, though."

"What was his name?" Youko asked.

"Karasu," Shiori answered-both Youko and Kurama hissed. "What? Do you know him?"

"…it's nothing, mother. Maybe I should go talk to Shuuichi… see what's going on."

"Sure," Shiori said. A moment later, she continued, "Did you bring your friend Kuronue with you?"

"Yeah. He's in the city somewhere, visiting a couple friends… he said he might stop by later, though."

Kurama's grip tightened on the pillow; would Kuronue really dare to come here after what he had done?

"Well, I'm going to see Shuu now," Youko announced. The idea of locking the door rushed through Kurama's mind, but it was too late; Youko had already pushed the door open. Youko settled on the bed beside him; Kurama pretended to be asleep. "Shuuichi?"

Kurama pressed his face harder into the pillow, doing his best to let his muscles relax in a travesty of peaceful sleep. "Kurama?" Youko whispered into the boy's ear. Kurama tried his best not to shiver.

"Silly, silly Kura-chan… so you don't want to talk, do you?" Youko asked, running a hand through the boy's crimson locks. "Why not? You'll have to tell everything eventually, you know." When Kurama still didn't respond, Youko sighed. "You can't ignore it anymore. It's poison… it's eating away at you, but you won't let anyone help you…"

"…it hurts," Kurama said weakly.

"It must, to make you act like this. What did Kuronue do to you?"

"…it… it hurts like hell and it doesn't go away. It's always there…" Kurama sobbed, launching himself into his brother's arms.

"…Shuuichi?" Youko asked, staring at the boy in disbelief. "…it's going to be all right…" he whispered, patting Kurama's back.

"…liar…" Kurama whispered, burying his face in Youko's shirt. "…you said that Kuronue was coming by later?" he asked, even though he already knew the answer.

Youko nodded. "You two need to talk about things. Now would be a good time."

Kurama shook his head vehemently, pushing himself away from Youko. "We have nothing to talk about."

"Sure you do," Youko said soothingly. He was about to continue when Kurama interrupted.

"If he's going to be here, then… I can't stay." Kurama bowed his head. "Goodbye, Youko." He fiddled with the lock on his window; the catch unclasped and he hopped out, careful to avoid landing in the rosebush. He headed down the street, wondering where he could go next. He had already fled two residences and it was still early… his friends were still in school…

Kurama was struck with an idea. "I should go to school, shouldn't I? That will take my mind off Kuronue if anything will." He smiled, hoping that false cheer would at least count for something.

*~*

"…Kurama?!" Yuusuke said, shocked. "You were cutting school?"

"…I suppose so," Kurama murmured as he fell into step behind the other three.

"Do you even care?! I was pretty damn worried about you! I mean, you're the responsible one! I thought that maybe Karasu had taken you prisoner in his fortress of doom and darkness and shiny pink things!"

"Hm… I don't think I'll have to worry too much about Karasu any more…"

"…you killed him, didn't you?" Yuusuke deadpanned.

"Of course he didn't!" Kuwabara said. "Don't be stupid, Urameshi!"

"…you're one to talk, pudding-for-brains!" Yuusuke shouted back.

Kurama and Hiei watched Yuusuke and Kuwabara wrestling for a moment before they decided to head to class.

"Hey, Hiei…"

"Hn?" Hiei asked, almond-shaped eyes turning to look at Kurama.

"…can I stay at your house for a few hours after school? Please?"

"Sure," Hiei answered. He didn't ask why; that was one of the reasons that Kurama liked him best. As a friend, of course!

Kurama smiled slightly. "Thanks," he whispered, and they didn't speak of it for the rest of the day.

*~*

"Hello, Yukina," Kurama greeted as he and Hiei entered the house.

Yukina smiled sweetly. "Hello, Kurama. It's been a while since you visited; you really should come here more often!"

"…yes, I should."

"Would you like something to drink?"

"No, thanks," Kurama said, giving Yukina a smile. He bowed, before following Hiei down the hall.

The two of them were sitting in Hiei's room. Neither said anything. Hiei was waiting for Kurama to speak, and Kurama wasn't willing to speak. After a few moments, Hiei `Hnn'ed and opened his book bag.

"Hey, Kurama…"

"Hm?"

"Do you know how to do this?" Hiei asked, opening his book to the page his homework was on and showing it to Kurama.

"Sure." Kurama took the book from him and began explaining it. "It's really quite easy once you know what to do."

"Right," Hiei murmured, scratching down an answer. The phone rang; Hiei dropped his pencil and answered it.

"Is Shuuichi here?" Hiei parroted, looking at Kurama. The boy shook his head vehemently. "No, he's not here. Maybe he went for a walk-he likes doing that. You're welcome. Bye." He put the phone down.

"Thanks," Kurama said gratefully.

"…if you don't mind me asking…"

"I do mind."

"I'm going to ask anyway," Hiei murmured forcefully. "What's going on?"

"…same old stuff…"

"No it isn't, Kurama. There's something wrong with you," Hiei said, placing his hands on Kurama's shoulders. Kurama stared out the window, refusing to look Hiei in the eye.

"I'm perfectly fine."

Hiei sighed, exasperated. His hands dropped to his lap. "Don't be a coward, Kurama. You can't run from this."

"…that's what everyone keeps saying," Kurama said slowly. "Everyone says that I have a problem, and that I should just tell someone about it… but I can't…"

"Kurama, I'd like to think that we're best friends. You can tell me anything; I'll be here, all right."

Kurama laughed shortly. "…you're talking more than I am…"

"Hn." Hiei murmured. It was a `keep talking, you cowardly idiot' hn.

"...it's a long story…"

"I've got time," Hiei said, stretching out on his bed.

"Where should I start?"

"…the beginning, I imagine," Hiei muttered lazily.

"Oh. Right. Well… I guess it started with Kuronue and me… Everything was going great, until…" Kurama struggled to continue.

"Until you broke up," Hiei supplied.

Kurama nodded. "You know that much, at least, but I've never told you what really happened. It was the day after White Day, and… well, it was about three in the morning and I was drunk." Kurama swallowed thickly. "And… well… things happened."

Hiei made a strange noise. Kurama peered over at him, but nothing seemed out of the ordinary. He shrugged and recommenced. "I wanted it then. Being intoxicated does that to you…"

Hiei sat up, resting his chin on his hand; his fingers covered his mouth.

"…and after it was over, he…"

Kuronue stood shakily, moving to leave. Kurama tugged at his hand, confused.

"Where are you going?"

"…nowhere," Kuronue muttered, but wouldn't meet Kurama's gaze. He took a step forward.

Kurama stumbled to his feet, latching onto Kuronue's arm. "Why? Why are you leaving? Why can't you stay?"

"…this was a mistake, Kurama…" Kuronue said solemnly. "It should never have happened."

"Don't leave!" Kurama clutched at Kuronue's shirt, holding him tight.

"Stop it."

"No!"

"I said STOP IT!" Kuronue yelled, pushing Kurama roughly. Kurama hit the wall. "It's over," Kuronue told him, and left.

"…why?" Kurama whispered. His head was aching from where it had hit the wall. Tears poured down his cheeks. "WHY, DAMMIT?!" He stood angrily; he had to get away from it all. The room spun in front of him and he fumbled for something to hold onto. He fell against the bedside table, his arm knocking something to the floor.

He turned his gaze to the floor. He had knocked over a picture of Kuronue and him… he picked it up tenderly, trying to discern the details through blurry vision. There was a crash as the frame crunched against the wall. The glass splintered, little shards littering the carpet.

"…I don't understand… why?"

"…Kurama?" Hiei asked, when the boy finally stopped. Kurama didn't answer; silent tears were making their way down his cheeks.

"He just left me… for no reason at all! Right after I had…had… given myself to him..." Kurama buried his face in his hands. Hiei stared at him, unsure of how to react.

Kurama laughed shortly. "Suddenly, I wish Yuusuke was here… he would say that Kuronue dumped me because I wasn't any good…" Kurama broke into hysterical little giggles that made his body shudder.

"…Kurama…" Hiei said sadly, wrapping his arms around the shaking boy.

"I'm sorry, Hiei," Kurama whispered as he rested his head on Hiei's shoulder. "I'm sorry to burden you like this…"

"…there's still something you're not telling me, Kurama."

"Why does it matter?"

"…"

"It doesn't matter at all, you see. If it mattered, I would tell you."

"You're a liar, Kurama."

"So! Why does it bother you so much?! What does it matter to you?" Kurama pushed himself away from Hiei, sitting next to him on the bed.

"You're my friend, Kurama. I'm worried about you. This whole thing with Kuronue has screwed with your mind." Hiei wasn't yelling, but he might as well be; his fists were balled at his sides and his eyebrows were twisted angrily.

"SO! IF I DON'T WANT TO TELL YOU SOMETHING, YOU SHOULDN'T PRESSURE ME! WHAT MAKES YOU THINK YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO MAKE ME DO ANYTHING?!" Kurama screeched angrily.

"I'M DOING THIS FOR YOUR OWN GOOD, KURAMA! YOU HAVE TO TELL SOMEONE BEFORE THE PAIN EATS YOU ALIVE!"

"WHY ARE YOU SO DAMN WORRIED ABOUT ME?"

"BECAUSE I LOVE YOU, KURAMA! …I love you, dammit…" Hiei grit his teeth, eyes glued to the bedspread. He refused to look at Kurama.

Kurama reeled back in shock. "What?" he whispered, staring wide-eyed at the other boy.

"You heard me," Hiei said firmly even as he bowed his head. "I. Love. You."

"…no…" Kurama whispered in disbelief. "Not you too…" He turned away from Hiei.

"I'm sorry, Kurama. I'm sorry that my love causes you pain, but… I can't help it. I love you anyway."

Kurama didn't hear, though. He was already gone.

Finished on 8/01/04

Beta-ed by Evil Chibi Malik on 8/01/04

*~*

Ahhh! I have been neglecting my reviewers! I'm sorry! …so…erm… I'll answer a few now! Yes, yes. Because people asked questions and said things that I might want to talk about… or might be bullied into talking about. Heh. Either way.

Ninja Froggy: Nope, no lemon… of course, you could probably tell after this chapter. Heh heh. But no lemon at all. Sorry if anyone's disappointed, but… I can't write hardcore and I won't pretend to be able to. Ne.

HieiWannabe: Mou… I'm so sorry! I cry for you and hug you and… hope you never get stalked again! Feel free to…err… be overly emotional with me if you wish. But luckily for you, no… this doesn't end up being a KarasuxKurama. I hope everyone heard that. I repeat: this will NOT be a KarasuxKurama. I can't say how exactly it ends, but… I at least know that much. Bleh.

MistressKC: A. What I mean by making Kurama into a whore… well, he's having `moments' with everybody… hee hee. Poor Warehouse-chan.

B. Oh. Yes, Kuronue and Youko are the same age. If I say something else, that's just me being stupid. Mou.

Oh, and to that random person who asked… mou is a Japanese word that signifies lamentation. But if I'm saying it, all it means is that I want to say `mou'. My kitty cat used to say mou, until I started saying mou. Then she stopped. Bleh.