Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Pains of the Past ❯ Prologue ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Pains of the Past
 
Prologue
 
The kitsune ran through the forest of Makai, breathing deeply. She had been on the run for quite some time, and was growing weary of it. Those damn spirit detectives would just not leave her alone. However, this particular kitsune was not foolish enough to fight them. No, especially not with the one that was chasing her down. She would have fought the detective were it one of less renown, but this one was far out of her league, and she had angered Spirit World enough as was.
 
Jumping up into the trees that infested this part of Makai, the kitsune knew she had but one chance to escape her pursuer for a while. Even though he was human, and a spirit detective, he still could not leave Makai, but she could. It seemed like her only option at the time, and one she was not willing to take lightly. But still, on earth she just might have a chance, especially if he was there.
 
Looking behind her, the blue-haired shadow kitsune channeled some of her spirit energy into the trees she now stood on, and had them create a barrier to hold her pursuer back. Hopefully that would give her the time she needed to get to earth. Otherwise, she was screwed.
 
Continuing on her chase, a sudden energy blast rippled through the trees. Gasping in shock, she realized that that had been the spirit detective blasting at her wall. Now she was in trouble if he could use that much energy. Shaking her head to get herself out of the stupor, she gauged the distance she had just traveled. It would have to be good enough.
 
She started to chant something in her own language, and channeled her spirit energy towards the barrier. As she forced a hole in it, the energy behind her grew stronger and stronger, closer and closer. Five minutes, no more, no less, was all she had by then. Still, she kept on channeling.
 
As the hole reached a quarter of the size she needed, another energy burst chased through the forest. Three minutes left-nowhere near long enough. Panicking, the kitsune started channeling more and more energy until she was at her limit into the hole. Two minutes and the hole were only half the size it needed to be. As she channeled to her limit, she knew that there was only another 30 seconds until she was dead.
 
Twenty seconds, the hole was nearly finished. Fifteen, she jumped through it, just as the hunter caught sight of her. Seeing the portal. He began to try and keep it open. Five seconds, the kitsune managed to seal the portal and keep the detective from following her. Sighing in relief, she walked out the other side and emerged into earth, a bright smile on her face.
 
Sean Kilse stood at the closed breach and cursed his luck. She had evaded him, who would make him far from popular with Koenma, and he could ill afford to lose any more popularity rating with the prince of spirit world. He was already banished to spend the rest of his life hunting rogues in Makai, and now he would probably be given some worse job.
 
He had always thought that humans should not have to live in this place, but his last three years had proved him wrong. If anything, humans were needed here to bring some sense of order to the realm of demons. He had tried, and had accomplished such a thing in some areas, and besides, it gave him more rogues to take out and practice his powers on.
 
This particular blonde-haired spirit detective had no sense of spirit energy. Rather, he had a sense of something much more powerful; something that he had been told could defeat spirit energy is trained the right way, and strong enough. Sean knew he was strong enough, but he had just to complete the necessary training, and then he would be unstoppable. Not even the damned Urameshi Yusuke could stand a chance against him then.
 
 
Note: Short yes, I know. But since when are prologues ever extremely long? Well…most of the time they are kinda short. But, I promise the next chapter will be longer. And you know what…I'm still living, but have been focusing on original fictions over at fictionpress. Check `em out if ya want to. Here is my link thinger- www.fictionpress.com/ysyf. Well, leave a review, and I'll get back to you with an update sooner or later…