Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Parental Guidance ❯ Never Twice ( Chapter 3 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

WARNINGS: if you've read this far, I think that writing new warnings would be pointless
 
-----------------------------
 
Parental Guidance
Chapter 3: Never Twice
 
-----------------------------.
 
It was both late and dark by the time Kurama reached the Urameshi household. He rarely took advantage of the public transit system, fearing no one and loving the excuse to stretch his legs. That night, the cool air had calmed his nerves and he momentarily considered turning back. (The fox demon's nerves never remained jarred for long.) But he had reached Yusuke's doorway before having decided one way or another and manners dictated that he at least say `hello.' He knocked once, then again (harder).
 
“Yusuke! Get the door!” a voice yelled from behind the door.
 
Kurama started. That had been Keiko. What was she doing here so late? Her father was very strict about her curfew.
 
“Why do I have to get it?” That was Yusuke.
 
“Because you're right next to it!”
 
“Fine, fine, I'll get it.” The door opened. “Kurama!” he sounded surprised. Yusuke glanced quickly over his shoulder at Keiko then back at Kurama. “Hey, what's up?”
 
“Oh, I was just taking a walk and figured I'd stop by. It's been a while.”
 
“Yeah…it has…”
 
Keiko appeared happily behind Yusuke, “Kurama! I haven't seen you in forever! Yusuke don't just stand there,” she body shoved Yusuke aside. “Come on in, do you want something to drink? Water? Tea? Coffee?”
 
Kurama smiled warmly, the same smile that could melt the heart of any woman. “Tea would be lovely. Thank you Keiko.”
 
A light rouge flush tinted her cheeks as she ran off to the meager Urameshi kitchen - she new her way around it almost better than that of her own home.
 
“I swear,” Yusuke teased when Keiko was out of hearing distance, “I can't take my eye off you for a second.”
 
“Uh-huh, you only wish I was more promiscuous,” Kurama fell comfortably into verbal step.
 
Yusuke waved a hand dismissively, “Been there, done that.”
 
“And you loved every minute of it,” Kurama winked.
 
“You bet your ass I did!” Yusuke flashed one of his famous face-swallowing smiles. That grin was what had originally drawn Kurama to him. “Now, are you going to tell me what's really going on?”
 
“No.”
 
Yusuke rolled his eyes, “Why do I even bother asking?”
 
“Because you're a good friend.”
 
Something was off in Kurama's voice - a little something that made Yusuke's brain think `uh-oh.' A soft thud quickly followed by a frustrated female yelp momentarily diverted their attention. Kurama looked purposefully towards the kitchen then back at Yusuke, raising an eyebrow.
 
“Yeah…um,” Yusuke grinned sheepishly, “since my mom decided to stay with her new boyfriend for a while, Keiko decided to move in here - just until my mom comes back home,” he added quickly. “Her parents weren't happy with the idea, but hey we are getting engaged after all. They're slowly starting to trust me with her. This is a good sign, I hope.”
 
“Engaged?” Kurama's eyes widened just slightly.
 
“Yeah, I guess I really haven't seen you in a while. We've been talking about commitment and all that pretty crap for a few weeks. Her parents were really pressuring her about some rich boy in Kyoto so we finally said `to hell with it' and told her parents we were engaged. We haven't actually gotten engaged yet, but it makes life easier for both of us if her parents think we are.”
 
“Oh…that was…considerate of you. Congratulations Yusuke.” Kurama's smile barely reached his eyes. He was happy for them, truly he was, right?
 
“Listen, Kurama, I-”
 
Keiko suddenly appeared out the doorway with a small tray in hand. “ Here you go Kurama. I didn't know how strong you preferred it so I only put two tea bags in the pot. There are two more on the tray if you want it stronger.” She had brought out only one cup.
 
“Thank you Keiko, it's lovely as is.”
 
Keiko beamed.
 
“Hey, where's my tea?” Yusuke asked, insulted.
 
“If you want tea then go get it yourself, you lazy sack!”
 
“Hey, this is my house.”
 
“Exactly,” Keiko stubbornly crossed her arms, “and Kurama and I are guests. You should be the one serving us tea.”
 
Yusuke groaned, “Why did I agree to let you stay here?”
 
“Because without me you'd be starving to death and be wearing the same dirty clothes everyday. Stop that!” Yusuke had stuck his tongue out and was giving Keiko his best `I'm a mean bitch' face.
 
Kurama watched the exchange in silence. A bittersweet smile that could and was mistaken for an amused smirk by the couple had crept onto his lips. His selfishness was appalling. These people had found each other and what, if any, grip he had held on them had been lost without his even knowing it. Yusuke had always been there. This was a fact Kurama had taken for granted, only appearing now and then to `say hello.' Now he shows up and Yusuke's gone - the house is empty and Kurama's presence is only disturbing the peaceful dust the two of them had left behind.
 
The argument dispelled for now, Keiko settled herself snug against Yusuke in the oversized love seat across from Kurama. “So how've you been? I swear I haven't seen you in ages,” Keiko asked.
 
“Oh I've been all right.”
 
“Are you still working for your father?”
 
“Stepfather, Keiko. Hatanaka is Kurama's stepfather.” Yusuke kept a watchful eye on Kurama and received a grateful glance in return. Keiko was thankfully quick on the uptake and didn't press the matter.
 
“Sorry, um so are you still working for Hatanaka?”
 
“Yes, he's been hinting at a promotion lately too.”
 
“That's great!” said Keiko.
 
“Well yes and no. It would be great if I weren't the boss' new stepson. More than a few of my colleagues whisper rumors of favoritism when they think I can't hear them. Any person who has had the gall to directly approach me on this, however, has been effectively corrected. Regardless, I'm thinking about quitting.”
 
“Why?”
 
“Yeah,” Yusuke cut in, “Perfect Shuuichi Minamino getting tired of the working world already?” he teased.
 
Kurama shrugged it off honestly, “I guess you could say that. Besides, I've started taking some night classes and the two schedules don't coincide well. I'd like to take the college exam one of these days. I think I need a change of pace.” Kurama checked his watch and pretended to care. “Sorry, but I really should be going before it gets too late. I have a lot of work to do this weekend.”
 
“Already? But you just got here.”
 
“I'm sorry Keiko. Really, I am. We'll have to arrange a day out together soon.” Kurama stood, “Thank you for the tea, and Congratulations on your engagement plans. I wish you two all the happiness I can offer.”
 
“Oh, so Yusuke told you?” Keiko blushed, “Thank you.”
 
`Yusuke?”
 
“Huh?”
 
“I must ask, when will you be returning to your realm then?”
 
“I've got a few more years before I need start worrying about that. Don't worry Kurama, my territory is secure.”
 
“Good. I will see you later then. Good night Keiko, Yusuke.” Kurama bowed his head to each.
 
Frowning slightly, Yusuke cut in. “Hey, Keiko, I'm gonna walk with Kurama for a bit, ok? I'll be right back.”
 
“That's not necessary Yusuke.”
 
“Lighten up, I'm coming with you.” Kurama rolled his eyes at Yusuke's confident thumbs up. It reminded him of old times, better times when life was a simpler game of kill or be killed.
 
“You better not stay out too late Yusuke. You come right back,” said Keiko, hands on hips.
 
“I know, I know.” Yusuke waved her off, already pushing Kurama ahead of him out the door. It closed behind them, ejecting them into the night.
 
Almost immediately Kurama tuned to tell Yusuke that this treatment was unnecessary, that he truly was happy to hear of the engagement plans, that he was still the Youko and could handle his own affairs; but he never got the chance. Yusuke caught him by the wrist and quickly dragged him down the street before a single word could be said. “I don't want to hear it Kurama, not this time.” The fox remained obediently silent. Several blocks later, Yusuke finally stopped and jerked Kurama into the small alley by the wrist he still held. Some small part of Kurama's mind hoped that this meant things would remain the same. He backed himself up against the wall and slowly gazed up at Yusuke with intense, heavy-lidded eyes, reaching out to trace a finger along the young man's cheek and jawbone. “Kurama…” He ignored Yusuke's tone, clinging to his small hope of familiar comfort.
 
Yusuke hated doing this to his friend. Just watching the beautiful redhead gripping his shirt and trying to draw him near. Even Yusuke could sense the despair that was crawling beneath Kurama's skin. Being as gentle as he knew how, Yusuke pried Kurama's fingers free and pressed them back against the man's chest. “Kurama…I can't anymore. I won't do this to Keiko.”
 
“I know.” Kurama slid weakly down the wall, arms and hands loose at his sides, head bowed. His voice was so small… Yusuke sat down beside him and wrapped an arm around his shoulders. Kurama collapse into his chest, snuggling half-heartedly into the only warmth the world had to offer him. “Look at me,” Kurama laughed mirthlessly. “It seems I've become dependent upon you. Who would've guessed that Youko Kurama would become so docile for a single kind embrace?”
 
“Kurama…don't do this.”
 
“Oh Yusuke, I haven't done anything. It's you who decided to move on with your life, as I should have done. It seems I am a bit of a romantic…that or a masochist, though the line between those two is beginning to blur.”
 
“I -”
 
“Yusuke, I'm not upset with you. I'm upset with myself for needing you. But I am nothing if not resourceful and adept at adaptation. I will deal. You deserve this happiness. I could never keep you from it.”
 
“Are you going to tell me what's wrong?” Yusuke already knew the answer.
 
“I said you changed, Yusuke. Please recall that I purposely said I had not. My problems are my own and certain words can only be spoken with my declared mate. I am sorry Yusuke. You've been a terrific friend. You were always too good for me. It is simply my fault for getting to used to it.” Kurama pushed away and moved to stand. “I should be going now, and you should not keep Keiko waiting.”
 
“Oh it's all right.”
 
“No, it's not Yusuke. You are a demon now. Pardon, but she is to be your mate. Please, at least in my presence, respect her as such.” Kurama looked down at Yusuke with suddenly tired eyes.
 
Yusuke scrambled to his feet as well. He outranked Kurama and would not remain in the subservient physical position. “Geez, I never would have thought there would be so much demon protocol.”
 
“Do not demean your rank Yusuke-sama.”
 
“Hey! Now don't you start - that wasn't funny.” Yusuke's glare was withering. He hated being teased about his unfitting inheritance and Kurama was quite certainly smirking at him.
 
As the humor of the moment wore off, an awkward silence grew. Neither quite knew how to say goodbye, and part of each of them didn't want to.
 
“Kurama -”
 
“You've been a good friend Yusuke. I thank you.”
 
Yusuke looked annoyed, “You've been cutting me off an awful lot tonight. Knowing you, I'd say you were downright cranky.” Unexpectedly, Kurama didn't defend against the jest. The fox simply fell silent, looking thoughtful.
 
“All right, fine,” Yusuke clasped a Kurama's shoulder, “goodnight then.”
 
“Goodnight.” Kurama casually shook Yusuke's hand off and turned towards his house.
 
“Kurama.”
 
Kurama stopped and looked back, “Yes?”
 
“I'm still here if you need me.”
 
Kurama shook his head sadly. Yusuke could never again be what Kurama needed so badly. Instead he said, “Thank you,” and turned back towards his home.
 
“And Kurama!”
 
Sighing, Kurama stopped again. His tone was bordering on amusedly irritated, “Yes Yusuke?”
 
“Take care of yourself.” Yusuke knew it sounded dumb, but he wanted to say it anyway. He never knew how long it would be until he saw his mysterious friend again.
 
Kurama rolled his eyes and continued without saying anything in return. Startled, he felt tingling pressure in his cheeks then his vision blurred. He willed the tear away.
 
He was a demon. He was Youko Kurama. Despite what he had told the world, told his friends all those years ago, he was not human. Though, it had been interesting to try.
 
I am a demon, and I have had enough.
 
--------
 
Yusuke stared after his friend, waiting until he was both out of site and out of earshot before address the prickling energy all but effectively masked on the roof above him. He then turned glaring eyes upwards and mouthed one word, `Hiei.' Two pinpricks of glowing anger stared down at him. Yusuke held the other demon's gaze, willing Hiei to face him finally. This confrontation was a long time coming. Minutes passed. The authority of a ruling Makai lord was the only thing rooting Hiei's feet. As arrogant as Hiei was, he wasn't stupid. Being the second to a lord had taught him to keep his brash attitude at least partially in check. Knowing that Yusuke would not back down, Hiei gave in with a sigh. The cord of tension slackened and dispersed like loose particles of energy into the night air. He jumped down, landing lightly in a half kneeling crouch at Yusuke's side.
 
Yusuke just stared down at him.
 
“Yusuke…”
 
“Hiei.”
 
Hiei smirked with old familiarity. “Hn.”
 
A cocky smile suddenly split Yusuke's face, all pretenses of conduct gone. “Well it's about time you showed your mug around here.” Hiei leaned back against the nearest wall, arms crossed. “So talk.” The little demon raised one amused eyebrow at the young man's tone. He scowled but resigned himself to this conversation. Yusuke was right. He had waited far too long to do this.
 
“Kurama is *my* mate. You have no right to him. I am entitled to kill *him* now. Did you know that?” Hiei growled out, punctuating each word. “I *should* kill you.”
 
Yusuke was taken aback but refused to give ground. Hiei's threat meant little and the demon knew that. “Hiei, do you even have the foggiest idea why Kurama comes to me?”
 
“Hn. You're human no matter what your lineage is. He seeks your humanity.”
 
Yusuke's eyes narrowed. “Wrong. Kurama comes to me because I ask nothing of him. He needs someone who can make him happy without demanding anything in return. He loves *you* Hiei. He can't bring himself to leave you, but you drain him. You steal what little energy he has and give nothing back. You -”
 
Hiei punched him, knocking him against the opposite alley wall. “Shut up!”
 
Yusuke pushed off the wall, his temper's short fuse igniting. “No you shut up. I may not understand demon customs but I don't fucking care. My friend is more important to me than some fucked up protocol! You start treating him better or I'm taking him from you.”
 
Hiei was smoldering, the temperature around him rapidly rising…
 
“Thank you Yusuke, but I'd like to have a say in this before you make threats like that.” Both Yusuke and Hiei froze. Kurama was standing in the mouth of the alley with a very dangerous, sickly-sweet smile on his face.
 
“Kurama, I didn't mean…” Yusuke trailed off. Kurama ignored him, his eyes only on Hiei.
 
“Hello Hiei. Yusuke's right you know. Given cause, he could forcefully take me from you. And it seems I have given him cause. Oops, my bad”
 
“Kurama…” Hiei's hands clenched into angry fists.
 
“Yusuke, would you mind leaving us alone please? It seems we have a lot to discuss. I really do appreciate you rounding him up for me, though. Thank you for that.”
 
Yusuke winced at Kurama's choice of words. It had been a very long time since he'd seen Kurama in such a mood. “Umm, are you sure?”
 
“Get lost Detective!” Hiei didn't even look at Yusuke. He only had eyes for his mate. The redhead's tone raised the hairs on the back of his neck. This cruel darkness always raised goose bumps on his skin and sent a shot of adrenaline through his veins. Hiei loved it.
 
“Yes Yusuke, I'm sure. We'll be fine.”
 
“If you say so.” Yusuke rested a hand on Kurama's shoulder as he passed, whispering, “I won't be far,” before he turned back for home.
 
“Che. Your little lap dog is as faithful as always.” Hiei sneered, “Not that you'd know anything about remaining faithful.”
 
Kurama sighed, breaking eye contact and easing some of the tension. “Yusuke is my comfort and often my strength, though unfortunately it now seems I've lost this particular pillar. He and Keiko are engaged.”
 
“Hn.”
 
“Aren't you happy Hiei? Doesn't your demon core pump with pleasure knowing that I have again been cornered?” Kurama laughed and leaned heavily against the alley wall, “I assure you I take no pleasure from it. Perhaps then it is my misery that will please you. I never understood why you found torture such a vital part of our relationship.” Kurama gave Hiei a pointed look before gazing up at nothing. “Tell me Hiei, do you love me? Or do you only play with my humanity because you can?”
 
“Kurama…”
 
“Answer me Hiei, give me a reason to stop Hatanaka. I'm tired of our games. Why do you think I keep turning to Yusuke?” Kurama paused for emphasis, but the question was obviously rhetorical. “He freely shares his happiness, his love and his friendship. With him things are simple and beautiful.” A small nostalgic smile graced the redhead's lips - gone before he continued. “So tell me Hiei, do you love me?”
 
“Baka.” To Hiei, this conversation was pointless. Kurama had admitted that Yusuke was now out of the picture. There was nothing more to discuss.
 
“Hai, I am an idiot…for loving you. I'm stronger than this Hiei. I have adapted, but I will not bend to your absolute will. I hide my humanity from you because you loathe seeing it. I bury my warmth because you do not want it. What have you done for me? You never loved *me* rather you have loved yourself and the power I have allowed you to hold over me.” Kurama paused to observe the fiery demon out of the corner of his eye. Hiei was rigid with self-denial and stubborn pride. `Fine, so be it,' Kurama thought. With sorrow and regret in his eyes, Kurama gazed long and hard at the love of his life.
 
Hiei's gut twisted. He recognized that look, “Kurama don't do this.”
 
“Wrong answer, Hiei. Good bye.”
 
“NO!”
 
Kurama had turned to exit the alley, turned his back on Hiei. Tears were in his heart but neither his throat nor eyes when Hiei lunged forward with a shout, grabbing the kitsune and forcefully throwing him to the ground at Hiei's feet.
 
“You're not walking out on me Kurama!”
 
“Oh? And why not?” Kurama's carelessly challenging gaze was fuel to Hiei's angry fire.
 
“Because I love you, you fucked up fox!” There was the bit of panic Kurama had been looking for earlier.
 
“Sometimes, Hiei, love just isn't enough.” Kurama tried to stand up only to have Hiei shove him down again onto the disgusting alley floor.
 
“The *Hell* it isn't.” Hiei grabbed the front of Kurama's shirt and forced a searing kiss upon his fox, burning Kurama's resistance to wilting ashes. He would make Kurama remember why he was Hiei's and Hiei's only. That damned spoiled retch was his and being abandoned again was not an option for him. Kurama was being forced back against his will. Any other night the devilish machinations of Hiei's soft tongue would have had their desired effect. But inside the still calm and calculating labyrinth of Kurama's mind was the fresh memory of Hatanaka's perverse invasion, and Kurama was not one to be taken advantage of twice in one night. He reached into his power and felt the weeds growing through the street cracks, the potted plants in the windowsill above him and the ivy creeping along the alley walls.
 
Kurama turned his head, freeing his lips just enough to whisper, “You should have known better. I'm sorry Hiei.” The tickling of breath across Hiei's ear made him pause. Confused, he blinked adorably large, wide eyes until he heard Kurama's words. It was too late for Hiei to stop him, too late for the demon known across the three worlds for his speed to retaliate or react. Greenery from all sides yanked him off the redhead and into the opposite wall, knocking the wind out of the demon. He hung there against the wall supported by the plants wrapped about his limbs and chest, stunned, dazed. Kurama stood quickly and approached the prone demon, too shocked to fight back. “Hiei?” No response. Kurama continued undaunted. “I love you, but I now understand that you can't love me as a human. Wait for me Love. This body is mere mortal flesh and this life of mine will be over quickly enough. When I return to the Maikai as a pure Youko, I will find you. I cannot *not* love so wait for me. Until then, don't ever show your face to me again. I can't bear it. Good bye my love.”
 
Finished speaking, Kurama turned and ran home. Hiei knew full well he could pull free of the plant life at any time, but he didn't want to. He could still feel Kurama in their touch.
 
--------