Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Power In Many Forms ❯ Speaking of The Past ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Power in Many Forms
Word Count: 3,112 (not counting the Disclaimer and Notes)
 
Disclaimer: YuYu Hakusho, Inuyasha, Harry Potter, and Anita Blake are not mine; they belong to their respective creators. I hold no claim on them; just minor original characters.
 
Author's Notes: The only Inuyasha characters that are mentioned in this part are Ginta and Kouga, and then only briefly, main focus is on Koenma and Kurama. There are some references to a relationship regarding Botan, Hiei and Kuwabara, their story has not been written yet, and I don't know when I'll get around to it. Anita and Harry will make an appearance later on, have to get certain things out of the way first.
 
XXX
 
Koenma looked around him briefly, vaguely taking in the lovely scenery of this particular part of the Spirit Realm. It was stylized to look like something out of a dream, a particularly naturalistic dream, but a dream nonetheless. No where on Earth was the water so clear, the sky so blue or the grass so soft; even the trees had an otherworldly quality to them, seeming so much more animated than the trees in the human realm. But that was to be expected; after all, it was the Reikai. Looking otherworldly while maintaining the basics of earth was what it was all about, perfection fit somewhere in there as well, but he couldn't really recall what his father had told him about that.
 
Time always seemed to blur together for him, each period always seemed the same. Century after century, turning into millennia after millennia, there had been nothing to make him appreciate the beauty of his surroundings. That is until Kurama appeared before him…not Yoko, but the Kurama that graced the world with his presence now. The graceful redhead who's smallest smile could cause a crowd of hundreds to gather around him, just to get a small glimpse. Many only wanted attain the smallest peep that could forever be treasured in their minds'.
 
That Kurama that could simply look at him with only a glance from deep green eyes and steal away his breath. The one that had first grown close to him when he was working as an assistant after stealing the Forlorn Hope, and continued to grow even closer after the Makai Tournament. Eventually they had `fallen' in to bed, or rather made a mess of the paper work on Koenma's desk. Not to mention the heart attack they'd given poor George when he and Botan had walked in on them; the ogre still swore that he would never get such an image out of his poor frazzled mind. Botan on the other hand had laughed and clapped her hands in joy, happy that they had finally done something productive with their growing attraction for one another. She seemed rather glad that she had not been forced to lock them in a room together.
 
King Enma had of course ranted and raved, his temper rising fiercely…at least until Botan had threatened to whap him with her oar. Though Koenma wasn't sure that was the real reason his father had backed off. Perhaps Botan had something on him that Enma didn't want to be found out…disturbing thought that was. But considering she was now tied to both Hiei and Kuwabara she was rather important in the balance of the three realms. Maybe that was why Enma had backed down and grudgingly gave his approval for Koenma's choice.
 
There was only one more thing he had to do, other than meeting Kurama's mother Shiori, something he sort of dreaded, though Kurama assured him that Shiori knew what he was. No, he was on a personal quest more than anything, something he felt he had to do, out of respect for the only other male that had ever cared for the kitsune as deeply as he did. He needed to speak with Koronue. Koenma wanted to bond with Kurama, the way Botan had bonded with Kuwabara and Hiei, their souls linked for eternity.
 
So here he was, walking along a path in heaven where he was told Koronue tended to frequent. Koenma had never met the Yokai and Kurama spoke little of his old partner, but when he did it was always with a soft fondness that made the immortal's heart ache. He hoped to get Koronue's blessing of sorts, to at least get the Yokai's approval. He wasn't sure why it was important to him, but it was as if he couldn't bring himself to even mention bonding to Kurama until he'd done this.
 
A flutter of wings caught his attention, dragging him out of his musings and he raised his gaze to look upon a demon who could be none other than the one he sought. Dark eyes, framed by long and wild black hair, gazed back at him in curiosity. Black leathery wings graced his back and made the otherwise cheerful looking individual rather menacing. But he tipped his hat to Koenma in recognition of the immortal's status.
 
“And what brings the Prince of Reikai to these parts?” The handsome man's smile came to his face easily, countering the negative effect his wings gave off.
 
Koenma kept his face blank, though there was a glimmer of nervousness deep within the amber depths of his eyes. “Are you Koronue? I was told you came here often…I was hoping to find you here.”
 
The bat demon looked taken aback, blinking at the Prince in confusion. “And what would you want with me my Lord? I am no one special.”
 
“You're approval.”
 
Koronue's jaw dropped and seemed to hit the soft grass, it was so comical that Koenma would have laughed if he weren't so nervous. He watched as the bat collected himself and managed to speak again. “I'm not sure what you're talking about, why would you of all beings need my approval? I am only a humble demon thief.”
 
Koenma sighed and ran a hand through his hair. “Kurama.”
 
“The fox? How is he?” Suddenly Koronue's face was more animated; dark eyes alight with something that looked like more than just affection. “Is he still alive?”
 
He smiled sadly at the demon, sorrow suddenly sweeping through him. If Koronue still felt so strongly about Kurama, what hope could he possibly have? Did Kurama still harbor such strong feelings for the demon before him? “Sort of; he cheated death once and ended up in a human body. He's twenty-five now, with blood-redhair and eyes like the purest emeralds.”
 
Koronue chuckled, though he seemed puzzled by Koenma's change in expression. “He always was a smart one, that Yoko.” As he looked at Koenma his own eyes changed, an old pain taking hold of him. “My life ended a long time ago Koenma-sama; any claim I may have had on his heart ended when I died. I won't stand between any happiness he may find in this life.”
 
Amber eyes blinked away tears that the demigod hadn't known he'd been holding back. “What?”
 
Koronue smiled. “You mentioned something about approval and Kurama. What else could you be talking about?” The Yokai looked serious again. “As I said I have no right to him now…not after what I did.”
 
Koenma made a motion with his hand for the other to continue. “Go on.”
 
“During our years together, there was period of time when we parted ways, long enough for me to have my child alone.”
 
Koenma's eyes widened considerably. “Child? You and Kurama?”
 
Koronue nodded. “We were master thieves, known for our skills throughout all of Makai. There was no way we could raise a child like that.” His dark eyes seemed to gain a different darkness, perhaps old guilt making its way to the surface. “A child shouldn't live on the run; I left her with a mid-wife, and through the mid-wife I learned that after reaching adulthood our daughter managed to slip into the human world. After that nothing, no one in Makai ever heard from her.”
 
Koenma felt something inside him start to sink…Kurama had never mentioned being a father. “A daughter…did Kurama ever know?”
 
The bat shook his head. “Never, I regret that more than anything.” His eyes closed and a tear slid down one cheek.
 
With hurried steps that still managed to be graceful Koenma closed the distance between them, and wrapped his arms around Koronue. It was instinctive really, rushing to comfort Koronue the same way he had Botan when she had been hurting. He could think of nothing else to do, the other still carried the old hurt within him, it didn't matter that it was self-inflicted.
 
At first the bat remained stiff and frozen and more than a little surprised, but slowly he grew less rigid and returned the embrace. His own arms wrapping around the soft, slim body that was Koenma, soaking up the compassion he found there. And in that embrace he truly wished happiness for his old Partner, it wasn't often one came across another which such compassion.
 
Finally they stepped back from one another, and Koenma was able to speak. “What was your daughter's name?”
 
“Toorima, I figured she'd take after us, if only a little.” Koronue tried to chuckle but it came out choked. “A little thief that could slip into the shadows and disappear; it would have been nice to watch her grow. Though I think leaving her behind was the best choice at the time.”
 
Koenma smiled softly, an idea taking hold of him and he knew what he had to do before asking Kurama to bond with him. “I'll do what I can, to find out what happened to her.”
 
The demon looked at him, another tear making it's way down his skin. “Why would you do that?”
 
“Because you love Kurama, and Kurama will always care for you…it will be hard to do anything without telling him though. Do you want to tell him?”
 
“I—yes I think I need too.”
 
Koenma nodded. “I'll have Botan bring him here then.”
 
“Thank you Koenma-sama.”
 
xxx
 
It had been hours since Botan had left with a confused Kurama in tow and Koenma wondered if he had done the right thing, he wondered if Kurama would be upset with him. And though the idea of an enraged fox made him cringe a bit the redhead deserved to know what Koronue had told him; to know that he was a father.
 
The demigod sighed and let his head drop to rest on top of the documents he'd been going through. He was probably smudging the ink, but at this point he didn't really care, he was tired and the ogres he'd dragged into the library with him were sneaking glares at him for interrupting their normal work. But they could just get over it, finding Kurama's daughter was more important than a few disgruntled employees.
 
“Ano, Koenma-sama?” A red ogre murmured as he approached the Prince of Reikai.
 
“What is it?” The immortal didn't even bother to raise his head from the table; he was so dejected about the whole self appointed mission.
 
“We've gone through all the records of demon deaths. No cross-breed demon by the name of Toorima has passed through our gates.”
 
Koenma sighed again. “I didn't think so; at least I couldn't remember anyone like that coming here. Did you find anything at all?” His voice sounded hollow to his ears. At this point he really didn't think they'd find anything.
 
“Actually there was a record from the human realm of a male demon that died in a fight allowing his intended mate to flee to safety with their child. His mate was a female cross-breed that had fox ears and bat wings.”
 
Koenma jumped to his feet, his chair falling to the floor with a loud clatter. “What?! When?!” He frowned and pulled the document he'd been looking at off his face, as it had attached itself to his forehead. “Why didn't you say something sooner? This is important!”
 
The ogre gulped and took several steps back extremely unaccustomed to facing an enraged full formed Koenma. “A few decades ago sir.”
 
“And?”
 
“The cross-breed left her child, a daughter, with a Magical Human family then she disappeared. We have no further records of her…but she isn't in Reikai.” The ogre bowed deeply. “I'm sorry for not speaking sooner. I only wanted to find out more before getting your hopes up Sire…and I did…find out more I mean-“ He looked up and started to say more, but his eyes focused on something behind Koenma. “Kurama-sama, Botan-sama.”
 
Koenma could feel the blood drain from his face as he whirled around to face his lover; he'd been so intent on grilling the ogre for information that he'd never even heard Kurama enter the room. He should have at least heard Botan, the woman practically hummed wherever she went. But she was uncharitably silent as she stood behind Kurama, hovering in the doorway.
 
“Remind me to never anger you.” Kurama smiled at him softly.
 
Koenma blinked, confusion taking hold of him as he stared at Kurama with a blank look. “Huh?”
 
“Your eyes are glowing.”
 
“Oh…” The royal closed his eyes, counted to ten and opened them again. “Better?” He asked.
 
“Yes.”
 
“You talked to Koronue?” For some reason Koenma felt like a child again, caught doing something he wasn't supposed to, but he managed to hold his lover's gaze.
 
“I did.”
 
“Are you alright?”
 
“I think so.” Again a soft smile was aimed at Koenma. “Thank you.”
 
Again he blinked. “For what?”
 
“For being you; in the stories children in the Makai are told, the Gods of Reikai are rather selfish creatures.” Kurama laughed. “Such foolish stories…I wonder it T-Toorima would have liked them.”
 
“Kurama…”
 
“I'll be okay, really.”
 
“And Koronue?”
 
“I think he'll be alright…though if we find her, he wants to see her.” Kurama looked down, breaking the connection their eyes had held. “I didn't know what to tell him, I can't make such a decision.”
 
Botan cleared her throat. “I told Koronue that we'd see what could be arranged if we found her. Is that allright?”
 
He nodded at her and ran a hand through his already tousled hair, due to hours of unfruitful research. “I don't know if I can make any promises. So far she seems to be very crafty, like someone else I know, and other than a couple of records we have nothing else on her.”
 
“I caught that last bit, about the father of her child dying…what type of demon was he?”
 
“I-“ Koenma stopped, realizing he didn't know, and looked over his shoulder at the red ogre. “Well?”
 
“He was a Wolf Demon, one of Kouga's tribe…I believe his name was Ginta.”
 
“They must have entered Ningenkai together; Kouga and his tribe live in the mountains outside the territories of the Three Kings. There in the mountains there is a small portal that leads to somewhere in Europe.” Koenma spoke; his voice thoughtful, and then his eyes grew wide. “Wait, you said that Toorima left her daughter with a Magical Human family? You mean a Wizard family?”
 
The ogre nodded and Kurama closed the distance between Koenma and himself. “What is it?” His eyes had grown sharper, flicks of gold shimmered within the green pools.
 
“A lot has happened in the Magical Community in the last twenty years or so…I just have a bad feeling about it.” The Prince turned to the red ogre again. “What were you going to say before; something about more information?”
 
The ogre nodded nervously, unused to being the center of attention of so many important and powerful individuals. “Yes my Lord. Toorima left her daughter with a Magical Family in England, and while Toorima seems to have vanished without a trace, her child is still alive.” The ogre's expression grew very serious then, almost grim. “But she is not whole Koenma-sama; she was attacked in some way and gravely injured. The information is sparse on her, but her current location is at a Hospital, we have it on file.” The ogre grimaced. “That's where the information stops Sir. Kurama-sama's granddaughter has been at this Hospital for nearly seventeen years.”
 
Koenma looked back are his lover, taken aback by the haunted look in the green depth of the kitsune's eyes. “Kura?”
 
“I need to go there. I need to see my granddaughter with my own eyes.” His voice was a whisper and he lowered his gaze as he leaned into Koenma.
 
“Botan please bring Kuwabara and Hiei here. I want the three of you to escort Kurama to wherever it is he needs to go.” Botan nodded and trotted out of the room to collect her lovers. Amber eyes looked out among the ogres. “Don't just stand there, start making arrangements, and don't let my father find out.” Ogres everywhere scurried out of the room, leaving the men alone in the record room.
 
“I don't need an escort.” Kurama glared at Koenma, just a hint of a pout showing on his face.
 
Koenma rolled his eyes while wrapping his arms around Kurama, holding him tightly. “I know how strong you are. But I happen to be very fond of you and don't like the idea of sending you into hostile territory without backup. Right now England and Scotland and the like are very hostile, there's a war going on among the Wizards.”
 
Kurama gave a slightly uncharacteristic snort. “I'm a thief and a killer; I doubt any human Wizard could get the drop on me.”
 
“Still, I like having you in one piece.” Koenma smiled and breathed in Kurama's scent. “Will you be okay? Be honest.”
 
“I'm a little shaken up, but I'm glad Koronue told me. Give me a bit, and I'll be fine.”
 
“That's good.”
 
“Why did you go to Koronue in the first place?”
 
Koenma blushed and looked away. “I-I love you Kurama.”
 
It was Kurama's turn to blink. “I know that, everyone knows that, it's not surprising.”
 
The Prince of Reikai blushed even harder. “I want to bond with you Kurama.” He looked back to see the other smiling at him. “I wanted to speak to Koronue, sort of get his approval. He was your Nakama after all.”
 
The fox laughed and placed a kiss on Koenma's lips. “Sometimes you really surprise me Koenma, not many would think of you as being so considerate. I like being surprised.”
 
His blush fading a bit Koenma gave him a mock glare. “Glad to keep you entertained.”
 
“The answer is yes.”
 
Again Koenma blinked; he hated it when Kurama changed the subject in the middle of a conversation. It always left him floundering in confusion. “Yes to what?”
 
The kitsune rolled his eyes. “I'll bond with you. I was wondering when you'd get around to it.”
 
“But Koronue…”
 
Kurama smiled at him. “Koronue was my past, he's content to stay there, and I'm content to keep him there. We were lovers Koenma; even if we hadn't lived on the run during our time together we never would have bonded completely.
 
It felt as if a great weight had been lifted from his shoulders and Koenma sighed as he pulled Kurama to him, burying his face in red locks. “Thank you.”
 
The redhead chuckled and placed a kiss below the god-ling's ear. “No, thank you.”
 
XXX