Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Power In Many Forms ❯ Finding ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

<b>Power in Many Forms</b>
Word Count: 3,797 (not counting the Disclaimer and Notes)
 
<b>Disclaimer: YuYu Hakusho, Inuyasha, Harry Potter, and Anita Blake are not mine; they belong to their respective creators. I hold no claim on them; just minor original characters.</b>
 
<i>Author's Notes: Wow, another chapter finished. Please bear with me while I take my time to get to other characters *coughHarry&Anitacough* We might see Harry soon…just a glimpse though. Don't hurt me.</i>
 
 
XXX
 
Jaws were hitting the floor all around; none of them had been expecting this. Eyes remained on the newcomer, all in shock, all currently speechless, and silence reigned supreme within the room. The trio stood, not quite huddling, their eyes flicking back and forth, eyeing first the boy, then the fox…waiting for some kind of reaction. Never before had Kurama been caught so off guard. He had half a mind to torture a few ogres upon his return to Reikai. Not one of them had mentioned that his granddaughter had a son.
 
Finally much to everyone's relief, one can only stand with their jaw extended for so long, Kurama managed to choke something out. “W-what did you say?”
 
The boy continued to glare at him, having been the only one spared from the series of surprised reactions, and stepped a bit closer to where Kurama sat with Alice Longbottom.
 
“I told you to get the hell away from my Mum.”
 
The fox glanced at his friends, but they offered no explanations, though Hiei was staring at the boy intently, probably using the Jagan to check for lies. Botan and Kuwabara still looked a little stunned.
 
“And who might you be?” Kurama asked, patting Alice's hands absently, his heart racing with possibilities. Could the boy really be his flesh and blood? Why hadn't any of the ogres's mentioned that Alice had given birth. He spared a glance at the broken woman, she'd been like this for years, the boy's life had been no easy thing. An involuntary shudder passed through him as he thought of his own mother and how he had almost lost her.
 
The boy stood his ground and didn't answer, instead he managed a growl and his eyes flashed to gold for a second. The moment was so brief Kurama thought he had imagined it. But following the flash of gold in the boy's gaze a familiar scent swept through the room on a tremor of power.
 
The boy was part kitsune. Well, there was no doubt about the boy's parentage now. But he had to wonder. The only way for his eyes and scent to change, even as briefly as they had…
 
Alice blinked and a blank smile appeared on her face as she reached for the boy, pulling her hands from Kurama's grasp. A gurgle escaped her and the boy relaxed and rushed to her side, with a stumble. Hmm…interesting.
 
“You okay Mum?”
 
Alice gurgled again and patted his hands, mimicking Kurama's actions from before, and handed him a gum wrapper. The youth smiled and stuck the wrapper in his pocket. “Thanks Mum.”
 
Kurama smiled a bitter smile at the exchange. Life had indeed dealt the boy a lemon of a card. “I'm not here to hurt her.”
 
Dusky green eyes risked a glance at him, an embarrassed flush creeping up his face. “I uh…I guess not, otherwise you would have killed her already.”
 
“My name is Shuichi Minamino; however you may call me Kurama.” He gestured to the others. “These are my Nakama.”
 
“Na-ka-ma?” The boy stumbled over the unfamiliar word, a frown drawing his brows close together.
 
“My friends, my comrades.”
 
The boy was silent for a while, simply holding the woman's hands. “W-why are you here, and what d-do you want with my parents?”
 
Kurama glanced at Hiei, though he knew the boy wasn't lying. Hiei nodded and Kurama returned the gesture, supremely glad that he wasn't alone. “It is a long story. Do you have time to listen?”
 
He seemed to think about that for a moment. “Maybe. If Gram hasn't thrown my stuff out by the t-time I get back.” Kurama frowned at that. “I'm Neville by the way. Neville Longbottom.”
 
Kurama held out his hand. “It is good to meet you.”
 
“You too.” Neville slipped a hand from his Mother's grasp and met Kurama half-way, their hands gripping lightly, a tingle of power passing between them. The boy quickly snatched his hand back, a veil of suspicion washing over his features. Kurama gave what he hoped was a reassuring smile; he didn't want to scare the boy off just because their powers recognized one another as kin.
 
“Kurama. The boy is more than he seems, he carries a seal like his mother.” Hiei glared at the boy suspiciously. “It's cracked and probably why he tripped.”
 
So much for going slow. He spared a glance at Hiei. He'd suspected as much, Neville was leaking power; a cracked seal was the only explanation.
 
Kuwabara and Botan sighed in unison and lightly thumped the back of Hiei's skull.
 
“Baka.”
 
“Please use more tact in the future Hiei.”
 
The fire demon turned his glare to his lovers, but before he could make any kind of retaliation they grabbed him and managed to drag him out the door. Botan waved at Kurama absently as she shut the door behind them.
 
Kurama and the boy stared at the closed door for a moment before glancing at one another.
 
“They uh- they always do that sort of thing?”
 
“Only when Hiei does something they consider rude…at least in human company. Sometimes I do not envy their relationship.”
 
“H-human company?” A pause. “Relationship! The three of them?”
 
“Quite.” Kurama nodded and looked at Neville closely before glancing at Alice. “She seems to recognize you.”
 
Neville nearly shook his head in wonder at Kurama's ability to change the subject so fast. His mind was still clinging onto the fact that he'd just met a threesome… “I l-like to think so, but Gram…I mean, my Grandmother doesn't agree.”
 
Kurama wondered at Neville's wording, but didn't comment. He ran a hand through his hair, fingers skimming across the seeds hidden in the red tresses. It was comforting to know they were there. “How old were you when this happened?”
 
“About a year old I-I guess.”
 
“I'm sorry.”
 
“Yeah.” Neville took a breath and looked him. “You said something about a story…”
 
“I did…What do you know of your Mother's origins?”
 
The boy blinked. “Origins?”
 
“Where she came from.”
 
“Well…Grandmother told me once that Mum's parents adopted her. They d-died before I was born, never got to meet them.” He blinked, and it seemed as if something clicked into place for him. “Are you really related to her?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“How?”
 
Kurama smiled. “You might find it hard to believe…but your mother is my granddaughter.”
 
Seconds ticked by, extending to a full minute, according to the wall clock anyway, but Neville simply stared. Kurama smiled a bit, barely a hint of upturned corners.
 
“You're joking.”
 
“I told you it would be hard to believe.”
 
“B-but you can't be s-serious! You're way too young to be my Great-grandfather! And…it's just not p-possible!”
 
“I'm much older than I look.”
 
Neville narrowed his eyes, and tilted his head to one side, almost as if he were trying to see through some sort of façade. It was a very animalistic thing to do and he doubted the boy realized it.
 
“How much older?”
 
“A thousand years or so…maybe more; I stopped keeping track. This body however is only twenty-one.”
 
Suddenly the stick was in sight again and pointed straight at him, and Kurama froze. The boy had had some training, evidence by how fast he'd drawn his weapon. At least he assumed it was a weapon, the piece of wood reeked of magic, powerful magic that mingled with the boy's own.
 
“I've upset you. I apologize.”
 
“No kidding…I have a…f-friend who had a run in with a Necromancer a c-couple of years ago.” He drew a breath. “I'm n-not comfortable with people who cheat death. They're dangerous.”
 
Kurama nodded. “Understandable. But I'm not a Necromancer. I'm a Kitsune…a fox demon. If you're willing to listen I'll tell you how I ended up with this body; and how I ended up as your great-grandfather.”
 
Neville kept his gaze steady, his stick still pointing at Kurama. “Fine. But I'm not going to make any promises. I m-might make you leave anyway.”
 
“Fine. Shall I start then?”
 
“Go on.”
 
“I'm originally from the Makai, the demon realm, where for centuries my lover and I lived as thieves. Everyone knew the names of Yoko Kurama and Koronue. Back then in my true form I was a silver fox with seven tails, Koronue was a bat demon. We were reasonably happy, but for a time we parted ways, but eventually reunited. I never knew why Koronue wanted a reprieve from our partnership until only recently. He had become pregnant and wanted time to have our child—why are you looking at me like that?”
 
“Your partner K-K-Koronue was pregnant?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“B-b-but he was…a he!”
 
“Yes.”
 
“How is that bloody possible?”
 
Kurama frowned. “I apologize, demons are different from humans. Many of us, the males that is, can procreate without the help of females; hence some males copulate with other males. Strong females are hard to find. Many don't survive. Though there is an entire race of youkai, demons, which are female and reproduce asexually.”
 
Neville stared at Kurama as if he had grown an abundance of abnormal body parts. “How? Why? No, never mind. I'm not sure I want the details, please go on with the st-story.”
 
“While we were separated Koronue gave birth to our child, a girl he named Toorima, he left her with a Mid-wife and then returned to me.” Kurama's eyes became glassy as he lost himself in the story. “Once again we reigned supreme in our circles, highly skilled thieves with few equals. But it came to an end rather abruptly when Koronue was killed.”
 
“I'm sorry.”
 
“Ah, well.” Kurama cleared his throat, his hand found it's way to Alice's hair once again, his fingers absently combing through the dead whiteness. “We were lucky to have survived as long as we did considering our profession. And we had many good years together.” He sighed and looked Neville in the eyes. “Then, about twenty-two years ago I was badly injured by one of Reikai's special forces—“
 
“Reikai?”
 
“The Spirit Realm. One of their specialized enforcers caught me off guard and I barely escaped with my life. It took great effort but I managed to make my way to this realm, the human realm or Ningenkai if you prefer. Once here I knew that if I wanted to live I had to hurry, as I was already in the beginning stages of death. I was lucky to end up as I am now.”
 
Neville stared at him long and hard. “How did you get that body?”
 
“There was a woman, a human female that had just discovered she was with child. The opportunity could not have been better, her child was in the early stages of development and a soul had not yet taken residence. It was easy to inhabit.” He closed his eyes, afraid at what he would see in the boy's gaze.
 
Horrible silence followed his words before… “You didn't kill anybody to get your second chance?”
 
The question surprised him and he could only gape at his descendant. “No physical harm came to anyone.”
 
“I can l-live with that.”
 
Kurama gave him a small smile, which to his shock was returned, if only a little. Perhaps everything would be okay.
 
“So…I know why you have that body…but—“
 
Kurama nodded. “Toorima; the daughter that Koronue gave birth to, my daughter.”
 
“She was my Grandmother?”
 
“She still is I suppose. As far as we can tell she's still alive. The wolf demon she was with however is not.”
 
“Was with?”
 
“Your Grandfather. Toorima bore a daughter, the father was a wolf demon named Ginta. I was told that he died shortly after they made it here to this part of the human realm. After which Toorima left Alice for a Magical family to find…I think you know the rest.”
 
Neville glance at his Mum. “Yeah…how d-did my Grandfather die?”
 
“I don't know; I haven't spoken with him about the specifics.”
 
Shocked Silence filled the room.
 
“B-b-but you said he was d-dead.”
 
“He is.”
 
Neville raised a hand to his forehead, as if to head off an oncoming headache. “Explain how that's possible p-please.”
 
“Ah…I'm sort of with Koenma, the Prince of Reikai. His main duty is to keep an eye on the three realms and to pass judgment on those who have entered the Spirit World…He's the Junior Lord of the Dead.”
 
<i>“Bloody Hell.”</i> Then… “Does that make him my Step-Great-Grandfather?”
 
Kurama fought back the smile that tried to work it's way to his face, but he lost the battle and the grin was followed by a deep laugh; the first he'd had since he'd first heard the news of Toorima. Neville chuckled a bit and broke down, his laugh joining Kurama's in it's merriment.
 
When they calmed down to the occasional snicker Kurama spoke, a hitch in his breath from their previous mirth. “You'll have to call him that sometime, I'd love to see his face.”
 
Neville sobered immediately. “I'm not sure Gram-I mean my Grandmother would like that. She—“ His eyes grew almost haunted. “Ah, never mind.”
 
“What is it Neville?”
 
“My Grandmother, Dad's Mum, kicked me out today.” Kurama stared at him dumbfounded. “We sort of had a disagreement, and she screamed something about throwing me out of the house, and I screamed back that she wouldn't have too because I was going to leave on my own.” Neville looked away.
 
“Why did you come here today?”
 
“I got scared. Gram-“ He needed to stop calling her that, “Grandmother…she went crazy today. Shouted things about Mum cheating on Dad because that was the only explanation she had for me being—“ He blinked back tears, the saltiness nearly stinging his tired eyes.
 
“Neville?”
 
“She called me a f-faggot because a younger boy f-from my school sent me a c-couple of l-love letters. I was trying to calm her down and ended up blabbing that I liked blokes just as much as I like girls…crazy old woman went ballistic. Called Mum a b-bunch of names and I got mad, I-I think I growled at her a bit, then she started calling me a d-demon.” He took a deep breath. “I wouldn't have cared ab-bout the demon p-part, but I saw my eyes in the hallway mi-mirror.”
 
“They were golden.”
 
“Yeah.”
 
“Your Mother has had a seal placed on her, a magical binding that kept her real power shut away. Any excess power came off as magic, but she is full demon. A similar seal is on you, I can feel it. But Neville, you've somehow managed to damage your seal. It's cracked, and that's why your eyes were able to change. It happened here when you first entered the room.”
 
“It did?”
 
“I suppose when you saw me sitting with your Mother your urge to protect her brought out a bit of demon.” Kurama smiled. “It means you're strong if you've been able to damage the seal.”
 
Neville snorted at that. “I'm a b-born klutz, there's nothing strong about me.”
 
“Not true, the seal keeps your true abilities under lock and key, it hinders you…how often do you stumble.”
 
The boy gave him a look. “I stopped trying to count how many times a day.”
 
“It has always been like this?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“Hmm. Perhaps we can have Hiei take a closer look with his Jagan; he may be able to provide some answers on the type of seal that was used.”
 
“Hiei…that was the short fellow wasn't it? Is he a d-demon too?”
 
“He is.”
 
“What about the other two…his um…lovers?”
 
Kurama smiled. “Kuwabara is human, though very strong, and Botan is a Spirit Guide…I think you would call her a Grim Reaper.” Neville's eyes grew so large they were almost comical. “But she's a very cheery individual and wouldn't hurt anyone…Unless of course someone threatened a friend. She'd probably hit them with a baseball bat then.”
 
Neville nodded. “Some girls are l-like that.” An image of Ginny Weasley flashed in his mind. “They're a scary sort.”
 
“Indeed.” A pause and then… “You didn't answer my question Neville.”
 
“Ah…which one?”
 
“Why did you come here today?”
 
Neville looked grim. “It's obvious isn't it? If Grandmother believes half of w-what she was screaming, about Mum ch-cheating, she could keep me from seeing my parents. Or worse, she could have them separated.” He glanced at his Mum, then his Dad, and rested a hand on his Dad's arm. “They don't like to be separated.”
 
Kurama nodded, taking a fresh tissue to dab at Frank's chin. “What are you going to do?”
 
“I uh, I didn't think about what I'd do once I got here. I just wanted to get here…” Neville seemed at a loss for words.
 
“Before you arrived I had been wondering if I could move them to Reikai. They would receive constant care there…” He glanced at Neville. “What do you think?”
 
“As long as you keep them to-together.” He tried not to smile. “Grandmother will have a fit.”
 
“If she is as unpleasant as you say, she probably will.” He crumpled the damp tissue and tossed it into a nearby trash can. “What about you? Do you have somewhere to go?”
 
His head drooped and Neville sighed. “Not really. I-I thought about going to my friend's…the one who ran into the Nec-necromancer. But Harry's relatives p-practically go into c-convulsions when they come into c-contact with anything not `normal'.”
 
“Is he safe?”
 
Neville's head shot up, feelings of warmth going through him that his own newfound relative would show concern for a friend his. “Uh, yeah. I think Harry mentioned something about protective wards. It's why he has to stay with them, b-blood ties had s-something to do with it.”
 
“I meant is he safe from his relatives.”
 
“Oh…I-I think so. He said it's as g-good as it's ever been. They don't lock him in the c-cupboard any more. They st-stopped doing that when he was e-eleven.”
 
It was Kurama's turn to blink in shock. “They locked him in a cupboard.”
 
“Yes.”
 
“What in the name of the Inari would make them do that?”
 
“They don't like m-magic.”
 
Kurama sighed. “You're sure he is safe.”
 
“As safe as c-can be expected; it's d-dangerous for all of us right now.”
 
Kurama nodded, remembering what Koenma had said about an evil Wizard. “You are welcome to come with me, you'd have several places where you would be welcome—You're staring at me oddly again.”
 
“You want me to c-come live with you?”
 
“It's up to you Neville. You are family; therefore you are welcome to come with me.” Neville stayed quiet and Kurama continued. “A colleague of mine, Genkai, owns a temple surrounded by a large forest; she'll probably let you stay there, after some convincing. Or if you like, you could stay with Koenma and myself at the castle in Reikai.” A smile graced his near feminine features. “My Mother Shiori would happily accept you into her home.”
 
“Your Mum?!” Neville's voice came out in a squeak.
 
“My human Mother.”
 
“Oh...does she know…about you?”
 
“She does.”
 
“I…I don't know what to say. I suppose I could stay with you, I mean I don't t-turn seventeen for a c-couple of months, on the last d-day of July. So I'm a m-minor until then. I have a year of school left. I—I might need to tell someone where I'll be. I'll need an owl for that.”
 
“Whatever you like.”
 
“You're—you're serious, about all of this. Letting me stay with you.” Neville looked hopeful, but was desperately trying to hide it. “I don't think Grandmother will welcome me b-back with open arms.”
 
“Of course I'm serious.”
 
A smile stole across the boy's face. “I still have to finish packing, so I need to go back for that.”
 
Kurama smiled. “I'll go with you.”
 
“Thanks.”
 
A light knock sounded at the door and after a moment Botan stuck her head in the room. “Hiei is scaring everyone with Glares of Doom and Demise. We can do only so much damage control when he gets antsy. Can we come back in now?”
 
Kurama chuckled. “By all means Botan, bring Hiei in here before he sets something on fire.”
 
“Thank you.” She disappeared for a second and then she and Kuwabara dragged a growling Hiei back into the room.
 
“So, what's the plan?” Kuwabara asked, keeping a hand on Hiei's shoulder. The small demon had stopped growling, but he didn't look happy.
 
“I need one of you to go to Reikai and tell Koenma to make room for my family. Alice and Frank need to stay together and much care, and Neville will need a room…Hiei?”
 
“Fine. I'll go.” He glanced at his lovers.
 
“Don't worry about it Shrimp, me and Botan will be fine.” Kuwabara leaned down and kissed the top of Hiei's head. “Just don't kill anyone on the way there.”
 
Hiei let out a grunt, but rested a hand on Kuwabara's waist as Botan leaned over to kiss his cheek.
 
“We'll see you soon Hiei.”
 
He nodded and then was gone, the open window the only evidence of his passing.
 
Neville stared at the empty spot where he knew Hiei had been before. “Bloody Hell, he's fast.”
 
“Yeah, that's our little speed demon…don't tell him I called him that.” Kuwabara winked at Neville. “What do you want us to do Kurama?”
 
“Right…Botan, see what you can do about getting Neville's parents out of here and on their way to Reikai.”
 
“It's as good as done Kurama. I'll take good care of them.” She turned to Neville. “It was good to meet you. And you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Everything will be okay.” With a few steps she was next to him and gave him a light hug. “Welcome to the family Neville.” She smiled, stepped away and gave Kuwabara a kiss on the way out.
 
“Kurama?”
 
“Kuwabara, I'll need you to come with us to Neville's former residence. It seems his Paternal Grandmother has booted him out. We need to gather his things.” He glanced at Neville. “You mentioned an owl?”
 
“Oh, yeah; I wanted to write letter to Harry. Figure he would understand b-better than anyone else. And I know I c-can trust him, I'm not sure I want anyone to know where I am. You know, when G-grandmother finds out my parents have been checked out…she won't be happy about it. Harry can keep a secret.”
 
“Let's get your things first, before she throws them out.”
 
“All right.”
 
“Good.” Kurama leaned forward to kiss Alice's cheek. “We'll see you again soon.” He took laid a hand upon Frank's shoulder. “I'll take good care of Neville.”
 
Neville smiled a watery smile. This could be a really good thing.
 
XXX