Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Power In Many Forms ❯ Happenings in Reikai ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

<b>Power in Many Forms</b>
Word Count: 2,847 (not counting the Disclaimer and Notes)
 
<b>Disclaimer: YuYu Hakusho, Inuyasha, Harry Potter, and Anita Blake are not mine; they belong to their respective creators. I hold no claim on them; just minor original characters.</b>
 
<i>Author's Notes: can I just say…ugh. Time zones are evil and can really mess with you.</i>
 
XXX
 
A loud WHAP sounded throughout one of the lesser used corridors of the castle; it was soon followed by a brief cry of surprise/pain and much cursing and arguing between two people. One voice, belonging to a man muttered an oath and then tried to appeal to the other with false innocence. Another WHAP was heard and the woman set her foot down and threatened to give him some rather nasty assignments if he persisted in his tricks. It was just another moment in the afterlife of one Sirius Black.
 
“Sirius-san, you know you're not supposed to be in this part of the castle! Now come on, there are important things that need to be done.” Botan rattled on as she grabbed Sirius by his ear and proceeded to drag him back down the corridor.
 
“I wasn't going to break anything or do anything too permanent.” He grumbled, not quite whining, and winced when she gave an especially sharp tug on his abused ear.
 
“Maybe not, but painting obscenities on the doors to King Enma's private chambers isn't the smartest thing to do.”
 
“What's he going to do? Kill me?”
 
Botan glanced over her shoulder at the trickster. “You're a spirit now; he could wipe you out of existence. And I'd rather not think about what Kurama would do to you. Those are his chambers too.” She smirked when the dead Wizard paled considerably. “Besides, I need you to help us out with the Longbottoms. They need constant care and I'm volunteering you.”
 
Sirius gaped at the head Reaper and stumbled as she continued to drag him, however he ignored the sharp pain from his ear to concentrate on what Botan had just said. “Longbottoms? Frank and Alice? But…they're supposed to be at St. Mungo's…oh god, did they finally pass on?”
 
“Nope, they're permanent guests in our clinic where we're doing everything we can to help them. And since you were friends with them Kurama-kun thought it would be a good idea for you to help out. And Koenma-sama said maybe this would keep you out of trouble…” A giggle/snort escaped her before she asked, “Why did you make a petition for a naked Tuesday?”
 
“Seemed like the thing to do at the time.” He finally twisted away from her and rubbed his offended ear. “Why is the Prince's lover taking such an interest in the Longbottoms?”
 
Botan made a move to grab his ear again but stilled suddenly and blinked. “That's right…you don't know. I'd forgotten.”
 
“Don't know what?”
 
She smiled sweetly at him; however there was a glint in her eye that made him take a step back. “You know if you'd pay attention and stop sneaking off to pull pranks you'd know what was going on.”
 
He started to stick his tongue out at her, but decided that would be going too far…he wasn't a child after all, no matter how many pranks he pulled, that and she might grab it and proceed to drag him by it. “So…we're headed to the clinic then?”
 
“Yep.”
 
With a defeated sigh he nodded to her. “Lead the way.”
 
“Good boy.” Botan giggled and grabbed his wrist before dragging him away again; Sirius let her because honestly, he didn't fancy getting hit with the oar again. The woman was worse than Lily on a righteous rampage, and wasn't that a terrifying comparison.
 
xxx
 
Neville stared warily at Hiei. Hiei stared blankly back. Kuwabara lightly smacked the back of Hiei's head, causing the demon's eyes to widen comically before turning and growling at his lover.
 
“What exactly was that for?”
 
“Jerk. You're scaring the kid, don't stare so much.”
 
“Hmph.”
 
“Um…so…w-what did you see?” Hiei stared at him some more and Neville sighed. “You w-were looking at m-my seal right?”
 
Hiei nodded. “We were right. It's cracked; the damage is old so it's been this way for a long time.”
 
Neville nodded. “And that's why I'm so c-clumsy?”
 
Kuwabara smiled. “Yeah, with the seal cracked your power fluctuates and the odd bursts of energy mess with you, so yeah that's why you trip a lot.”
 
“I'm surprised that you even know what fluctuate means.” Hiei muttered; Kuwabara thumped him on the head again.
 
“Shut up Shrimp.” He looked at Neville closely for a moment, idly running his fingers through the inky-blue-blackness that was Hiei's hair. “Does your magic ever mess up?” Hiei's eyes were half closed in pleasure now.
 
Neville blushed and nodded. “If you m-mean does it ever b-blow up in m-my face, then yes.”
 
“Thought so…by the looks of it the seal had a major break many years ago and it's been corroding ever since. It could dissolve on it's own given more time.” Kuwabara looked thoughtful. “What do you think Hiei.”
 
“It could take several more years before that happens.” He leaned back into Kuwabara's taller body. “I think it would be better to remove it now. Give him more time to adjust to his body and power.”
 
Kuwabara nodded in agreement and placed a kiss to the top of Hiei's head. “That's what I thought, besides if he wants to train with Kurama he'll need all of his power, the seal would prevent him from reaching his full potential.”
 
Neville blinked. “So…how d-do we remove it?”
 
“We'll leave that to Kurama and Koenma.” At Neville's questioning look he continued. “Hiei or I could do it, or Botan. Heck Urameshi could do it and he sucks at stuff like that. But since you're related to Kurama it would be better. Blood ties and all that.”
 
“It's a very simple process, but it requires a lot of power. However with both Kurama and Koenma your seal will be removed quite easily.” Hiei added. “There is nothing to fear, they will let no harm come to you.”
 
“Wow Hiei, I'm impressed. You're actually being nice.” Kuwabara chuckled as he moved his hands to rest on the demon's shoulders.
 
“Thank you.” Neville smiled at them both. “So where are they?”
 
Hiei smirked. “In their room having sex.”
 
There was a moment of silence before Neville let out a squeak and turned a very interesting shade of red. Kuwabara sighed and simply hugged Hiei to him, not even bothering to smack him again.
 
“Hiei…that was uncalled for. You could have just told the kid they were busy.”
 
Hiei snorted. “What fun is that? Besides he's not a child, he's nearly the same age you were when we first—“ Kuwabara let out his own squeak and covered Hiei's mouth with his hand.
 
“Not another word shorty and I mean it.”
 
Hiei shrugged and continued to smirk behind Kuwabara's hand.
 
xxx
 
It was bright and sunny and no clouds in sight, the beginning of a beautiful day
 
“Good Morning Marshal, you look like shit.”
 
I leveled a glare at the waitress, if looks could kill she'd be…well it wouldn't be pretty. She wilted around the edges and her perky smile disappeared, I felt a little bad for that… Rose wasn't all that bad, but she was a morning person and there's just something off about someone who enjoys rising with the sun.
 
“Sorry Rose, very long night. Could you just give me a couple of coffee's to go; one black, and the other with cream and sugar?” I tried to tone down the hard look I knew I was wearing, but on limited sleep it was hard to pull off.
 
“Sure thing Marshal.” And off she went, trotting merrily along and perky again. I stared in wonder contemplating how such a person existed. Then my phone rang and my attention swerved elsewhere, the caller ID said it was Zerbrowski.
 
“What's up Zerbrowski? I just saw you about five hours ago.”
 
“Would you believe we just found another body?”
 
I sighed and figured I wouldn't be heading to the office right away, which would probably piss Burt off…hmm… “Same MO?”
 
“Yeah…Anita that's not all. We've got a witness this time.”
 
I closed my eyes, the last crime scene flashing in my head before I was able to stop it. If this newest one was anything like the last I had to be ready to expect the worst. “How much did they see? Have they said anything yet?”
 
“Kid's still in shock, the victim was a relative, cousin I think, couldn't get much out of him.”
 
“A kid? Jesus…Where the hell are you and how soon do you need me there?”
 
“As soon as you can get here; there's an old farm house on Pincer Road, look for all the flashing lights.”
 
“Farm house?”
 
“The kids were using it as their command center, a fort or something.” Zerbrowski's voice grew tight.
 
Damn. “Be there soon.” I hung up and glowered at the coffee Rose had just set in front of me. Another person was dead, a kid this time…Damn it!
 
xxx
 
Neville glanced around his rooms still hardly able to believe that they were all for him. His quarters consisted of a sitting room, about the size of the Gryffindor common room, followed by a bedroom, what looked like a small kitchenette, bathroom and another room that he had no idea what he'd do with. It wasn't like he'd be having friends over or anything, and his grandmother certainly wasn't going to be stopping by anytime soon.
 
He shook his head in amused wonder and made his way toward the desk in the corning of the sitting room, making a brief detour to the tank that was set up for Trevor. Botan had assured him it was escape proof. But with Trevor one never knew. Seeing that his toad was secure and not missing he sat down at the solid oak desk and searched for parchment and quill so that he could write to Harry. Instead he found thin lined paper and what looked like what the Muggle-borns' called a pen. With a shrug he settled down to write, after a brief fight with the pen, he'd never used one before.
 
<i>Harry,
 
I hope you haven't been trying to reach me; it's been a real mess with Grandmother this last week. You remember that Hufflepuff boy? You know the one; he kept sending me notes and wanted to escort me to Hogsmeade. Well he wrote me a love letter and even sprayed some cologne on it. Grandmother intercepted the owl that was delivering it and had a snit. So I was forbidden use of our owls, not that it helped because he sent another one a few days after the first. To make a long story a bit shorter, the old bag went nuts! Told me that I was no blood-kin of hers and threw me out…I sort of yelled back at her and said that I'd leave on my own. I think I handled it alright, you'd have been proud, stood up for my Mum's honor I did.
Of course Gryffindor bravery aside, that left me with nowhere to go, luckily for me a relative of Mum's (her real family, not the ones who adopted her) was at St Mungo's when I went there, I was worried Grandmother would separate my parents. We talked a lot and he's really something else, I think you'll like him. He offered me a home Harry, not just a place to stay, but a real home. He and his lover are really well connected (I'll explain later) and so far it's been really great. They've even moved my parents to a private clinic, I'm sure that'll drive Grandmother ballistic. You can laugh; I know you'll want too.
Listen, I know you're not going to get this letter by owl, Botan said she'd deliver it herself. So I'll ask her to wait until you have a reply ready, or to come back or something. Owls can't get here so she'll have to deliver it…or someone else will.
I was also wondering if you'd feel up to a trip around the end of summer break, sort of a coming of age thing. It may sound stupid but I thought it might be fun to take a trip…just the two of us to celebrate our birthday. Let me know what you think.
And no worries, I'll write to Luna, and let her know I'm fine, safe as houses.
 
Neville</i>
 
Neville blushed a bit and wondered if he was being too bold. Harry knew about his preferences…that he appreciated both genders. But they didn't talk about it much, so he had no idea what Harry's preferences were. It didn't really matter though, even if they were just friends they were sure to have a grand time. And if things took a different turn, well that would be more than okay with him, especially now that he'd met Kurama and Koenma.
 
xxx
 
With a final gasp and shudder Kurama collapsed against Koenma, letting his head rest against the immortal's toned chest. Both of them were breathing heavily and the fox nipped at his lover's collarbone and grinned when the demi-god contracted around him reminiscent of the aftershocks that followed an earthquake.
 
“You're going to be the death of me.” Koenma murmured, running his fingers through red tresses that pooled across his skin. “I'm an old man.”
 
Kurama snorted and chuckled before biting him gently again. “I'm no youth Koenma, and I'm sure you won't be getting wrinkles anytime soon. You won't will you?” His tone was teasing and Koenma retaliated by poking his forehead.
 
“And if I do?”
 
“I might have to look for a newer model—nyaaghh!” Kurama choked and writhed in place as Koenma intentionally squeezed his inner muscles.
 
“What was that about a newer model?”
When the redhead could speak again he laughed and placed a kiss on Koenma's chin. “Never mind, I'm very satisfied with this one, with all it's quirks.”
 
“Thought so.”
 
They lay cuddled together for a while after that in content silence, neither wanting to move. But their sweat-slick bodies were beginning to cool and movement became inevitable when Kurama started to shiver. Briefly they pulled apart and pulled the covers over them, settling back down to cuddle some more. Before they could drift off to sleep however Kurama nudged at his lover.
 
“Hmm?”
 
“Did Hiei tell you about Neville's seal? How it was cracked.”
 
Koenma nodded and tightened his hold on the fox. “How do you want to handle that?”
 
“I think I'll talk to him in the morning, see what he wants to do. We spoke before and he seemed interested in training his youki, especially with plants.” He paused and looked into burnt honeyed eyes thoughtfully. “His kitsune aspects seem to be dominant. However once the seal is broken the others may make a bid for control.”
 
Koenma sighed. “That could be a bad thing. Will the fox be able to stay in control? Or do you think the wolf or bat could overthrow it?”
 
“I'm not sure…however that little red ogre, and you do realize that if I come across him anytime soon he may not survive the encounter, he—“ Kurama lapsed into a growl and the immortal rolled his eyes and poked his side.
 
“Yes, I know, you'll feed him to a vicious Makai plant. Now, what were you saying?”
 
Kurama nearly pouted at his other for interrupting his rant, but he grinned at the last second. “The little imp said that Toorima had bat wings and a fox tail. Since she's a half-breed that means the bloodlines are balanced. Neville may be the same way, but we won't know till the seal is completely removed.”
 
“Any ideas?”
 
“Of course, if you don't mind breaking the seal?”
 
Koenma smiled at him gently. “I don't mind, I told you I'd do anything for you.”
 
“Thank you.” He placed a chaste kiss on Koenma's lips. “So, if you'll break the seal others will be standing by to help Neville keep a balance. Blood kin would be best, which means we'll need Koronue and Ginta and myself…however I don't know what to do for the human part. This could be a problem with him being half human.” He sighed and snuggled back down.
 
Koenma pondered that for a few minutes before speaking aloud. “What about Kagome?”
 
“Who?”
 
“Higarashi Kagome, the Miko who guards the Shikon no Tama. She knows Ginta from the feudal era, that's why she's working here. She used to go to the feudal era on a regular bases and would spend weeks at a time there. She befriended Kouga and his tribe…she's the reason they stopped eating humans. They all called her sister. She's a very strong Miko, the strongest in centuries. The connection between her and Ginta is not one of blood, but he does claim her as kin.”
 
Kurama hmmed and thought it over while twining Koenma's fingers with his. “It might work, and it would be less traumatizing that having his paternal Grandmother here, and I use the term Grandmother loosely.”
 
“The old witch is lucky to be alive?”
 
“Quite.”
 
Koenma laughed out loud then and Kurama rolled his eyes. “It's not that funny.”
 
XXX