Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Power In Many Forms ❯ Never Stand Alone ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Power in Many Forms
Word Count: 4756 (not counting the Disclaimer and Notes)
 
Disclaimer: YuYu Hakusho, Inuyasha, Harry Potter, and Anita Blake are not mine; they belong to their respective creators. I hold no claim on them; just minor original characters.
 
Author's Notes: To reader at Pomme de Sang…who is this Hermione and Ron that you speak of? ::blushes:: I tend to overlook and forget key characters some times. Also you asked how Harry is gonna play a bigger part when it's Neville's story…well think about It; the warning I've put on this is that it's slash. Neville + Harry = slash.
 
XXX
 
Missouri summers were always hot and unforgiving, but everyone probably feels that way about their home climate during the warmer months. It didn't change the fact that my jeans were already stuck to me by the time I made it to the third greenhouse at the side of the main building.
 
I barely glanced at the flora around me as I made my way through the green house to a secluded corner set up around a small fountain. Bakerfield's Greenery was one of the smaller plant nurseries in the county and it was an odd place to meet up. But when I had called Gil earlier and suggested that we talk he'd picked the plant nursery. I didn't question it, I was just glad he was still willing to talk to me. Especially since I had a feeling his `friend' had told him about our run in at the cemetery.
 
I found him sitting on a concrete bench examining a small yellow rose bush beside him. He was in a partial disguise, the old cap pulled low over the eyes routine. Surprisingly the cap looked natural and not out of place on him. He reminded me of a small time farmer picking out a rose bush for his wife.
 
“So…you met her?” His voice held an undercurrent that I wasn't sure about, but it sounded sort of like apprehension.
 
“She helped me out.” He nodded but didn't take his eyes of the potted rose bush. “Gil we need to do something more about Mason. The police can't find him. He had no family and a long line of abused lovers that are scared to talk. Will you tell them what you know?”
 
Gil met my eyes briefly and shook his head. “I haven't been exposed at work yet.”
 
“Gil, you haven't shown up at work. I checked; you've already given your two week notice.”
 
“It doesn't matter Anita, the police can't stop him.”
 
“But you can? Don't go vigilante on me, it's my job to stop him.” I sat beside him, keeping my gaze on his profile. “But it's not enough. I want to call a coalition meeting, have all the groups keep an eye out…maybe even call a hunt, since you won't go to the cops.” Gil was quiet and didn't move for a moment.
 
“That would be okay. I'm having trouble finding him…and he's given Toor…he's gotten away from us more than once.”
 
He was quiet again. “Gil, who is she? What is she?”
 
He shrugged, it was a tired movement. “I only know her name. I don't know what she is…just that she's part fox and a lot older than me. She wants to protect me, that's why she's hunting Mason.”
 
“You love her don't you.”
 
“Yeah.”
 
“Does she feel the same?” He shook his head and his eyes held a bleakness that made my hair stand on end.
 
“She lost someone years ago, someone she loved more than anything. She hasn't opened her heart since then.”
 
“But she still wants to keep you safe.”
 
“Yeah.”
 
“Don't do anything stupid Gil.”
 
“I'm only going to do what's right.”
 
I put my hand on his arm and squeezed gently. “Just be careful.”
 
xxx
 
“You okay Shippo?” Kagome yelled as she looped yet again as they flew above the haggard landscape of the Makai.
 
“Barely! Couldn't you slow down some?” The young kitsune tightened his hold on Kagome's waist; his eyes squinted against the wind whipping around them. But at fast as they were going he was extremely glad he was flying with his mother and not Botan…flying with Botan required a death wish.
 
“Sure thing, we're almost there anyway, wouldn't want to fly right by it.” True to her word, Kagome slowed down a bit and stopped looping at random. She peered down at the ground as the terrain slowly changed from scraggly foliage to forest.
 
“I thought we were almost there.” Shippo stated, a bit of a whine in his voice.
 
“Are you nervous Shippo?”
 
“A little…we haven't seen Kouga in a long time. It was weird seeing Ginta, especially since he'd dead…it was kind of creepy.”
 
She nodded. “I know what you mean, I've just been dealing with the dead more than you have since I was arrested.” She grimaced as she remembered being attacked by Reikai's Special Forces and forced from her home in the middle of the night and being brought to trial before Koenma and his father. She was lucky Botan had stepped up then and offered to keep an eye on her while she did the equivalent of community service. “On the bright side their still alive and I can hardly believe that we're going to see Kouga and Hakaku again.” She slowed down some more and came to a stop. “That must be it there; a village in the middle of a large clearing.”
 
“I wonder why Kouga set up outside the territories of the kings.”
 
“Probably because he can't stand following orders.” A brief smile crossed her lips. “Ready?”
 
“I guess so.”
 
Kagome aimed her oar in a slow dive until it was safe to slide off to the ground. “See, that wasn't so bad?” As she finished her sentence, wolves that had not been visible before surrounded them.
 
“They're regular wolves, not youkai at all.” Shippo muttered as he reached for a spin top. Kagome nodded.
 
“But the youkai are coming.” She gripped her oar tightly as an unfamiliar youkai approached them, wading through the wolves that had formed a circle around them.
 
“There's more.” Shippo warned; making sure his back was to hers to cover her.
 
“I can feel them.”
 
The first demon, a male dressed in the rustic skins that Kagome and Shippo had always affiliated with Kouga and his tribe, came to a stop a few feet from Kagome.
 
“What's a spirit guide and her pet fox doing here? The Wolf tribe has not broken any of Reikai's laws.”
 
“Of course not, this tribe has set a good example for centuries.” Kagome smirked at the youkai. “But we're not here on official Reikai business.”
 
“Oh? What else could you possibly want with us?” The demon's tone was snide, and the others that had joined snickered and growled.
 
“Jerks.” Shippo muttered.
 
“Hush Shippo.” Kagome eyed the ringleader. “Just tell Kouga and Hakaku that Kagome-oneesan has come for a visit.”
 
The youkai blinked at her, his expression one of surprise as he tried to make sense of what she'd said. When it clicked he snarled at her and Kagome shoved her oar into a subspace pocket and readied her Miko energy, careful of Shippo behind her.
 
“Stop the crap Ferry Girl and just get out of here. If you're not here on Reikai business you shouldn't even be here. You lying—“
 
Kouga appeared beside the demon and smacked the back of his head. “Don't be rude to Reikai visitors. Not even we can afford to piss off Koenma, not to mention the head guide is scary…especially when the Forbidden One is with her.”
 
“Sorry Kouga-sama.” The demon bowed deeply. “But she said she wasn't on official business.”
 
“Is that so?” He turned to look at his guests and gasped, his eyes widening. “Ka-kagome?” His voice came out choked and his eyes misted a bit.
 
Kagome waved at him, a smile on her face. Kouga turned his head up toward the sky and howled in jubilation. In response the rest of the tribe came running, they appeared out of their huts and the forest so rapidly it was as if they had just appeared. Hakaku rushed through the crowd until he was within sight of Kouga.
 
“What? What's happened Kouga?”
 
Kouga walked the last few steps to Kagome and Shippo where he put an arm around each of them, his arms rested on their shoulders. “Two members of our tribe have returned to us.” His voice was loud enough for all the gathered demons to hear.
 
Hakaku stood for a moment, frozen in surprise before he let out a whoop of joy and tackled Kagome in a hug. “Oneesan! It's been forever!” He picked her up and swung her about as she laughed.
 
“Okay, okay. I'm glad to see you too Hakaku! You can put me down now!”
 
“Sorry, sorry, it's just been so long.” He glanced at Shippo. “Is that…is that Shippo? Shouldn't he be older by now?”
 
Shippo made a face. “I've aged normally thank you very much!”
 
Kouga raised a brow at the young fox's statement. “And you Kagome? Humans don't live this long, not even a Miko.”
 
“It's a long story Kouga, there's time travel involved and everything.” Kagome smiled at him. “But I wouldn't mind telling you.”
 
Kouga nodded at the tribe members and they dispersed back to their homes, the wolves followed him. “I'll take you to my home. Ayame will be glad to see you.”
 
Kouga led the way to one of the larger dwellings, Hakaku walked beside Kagome and Shippo, while two other youkai followed them.
 
They all stepped inside to find a very pregnant Ayame playing with a toddler in the main room of the dwelling.
 
“What was all the commotion about Kouga? Hakaku ran out of here like he was on fire or something.” She looked up and did a double take when she saw Kagome. “Kagome-san!” Ayame moved nimbly for a pregnant woman and embraced her onetime rival. “It has been too long! And you're as beautiful as ever!”
 
“You too Ayame, motherhood suits you.” Kagome gestured toward the little boy. “Is this one yours?”
 
“He is. Kurome, this is Kagome-oneesan.” The toddler smiled bashfully before hiding behind Kouga.
 
“Kawaii!” Kagome smiled at him.
 
“These are ours too.” Kouga pointed at the two adult wolf youkai that had followed them. “Shikon and Mori.” Shikon nodded at her, his hair was short and red, it spiked up at random.
 
Mori, the demon who had first approached them, bowed to Kagome and Shippo. “Gomen Oneesan, I didn't know.” He blushed. “I apologize for my attitude.” When he straightened back up Kagome could pick up on the features that he shared with his father.
 
“Hey, it's alright. I mean Kouga hasn't seen me for what? Five-hundred years? No one was expecting us to just show up.” Hakaku snorted.
 
“No kidding.” Kouga muttered, but he softened the comment with a smile. “That brat over there is ours as well.”
 
“Otousan!” A high voice screeched as a young brunette came out of an adjoining room. She glared at her father, teeth bared. “I am not a brat!”
 
“Like I said, this is Unari…the brat.” Kouga smiled at his daughter good-naturedly and ruffled her long hair. She stuck her tongue out at him.
 
“You're as bad as the kids.” Ayame scolded him with a shake of her head and made her way to the fire pit where an animal Kagome could not identify was roasting. “You must stay for the midday meal Kagome-san.”
 
Kagome bowed. “Thank you. Do you need any help?”
 
“No. I'm sure you have much to talk about with us.”
 
Kagome's expression grew more serious. “Yes, I do.” She sat near Ayame, Shippo settling down beside her, while the others spread out around the fire pit.
 
“So what's the news Kagome? Why the hell are you working for Reikai?” Kouga asked.
 
“Heh…I'm on probation for long term time travel and taking Shippo back to my time.”
 
“How long has it been since you last saw us?” Hakaku asked, shifting so that Kurome could sit in his lap.
 
“Only four years. When I left the feudal era I was seventeen, I'm twenty-one now. Shippo is thirteen now.”
 
Shippo puffed out his chest. “Mama lets me go with her on some of her guide work.”
 
“Spirits seem to calm down easier when there's a friendly face around.” She and Shippo exchanged grins.
 
“So what else has been happening?” Kouga asked. “This isn't just a social call, is it?”
 
“No. I'm here on behalf of Ginta.”
 
Hakaku stiffened. “Ginta is dead.”
 
“And he's in Reikai taking care of his daughter and her husband.” Stunned silence filled the room. “Did any of you meet Ginta's intended? The hybrid called Toorima?”
 
Ayame nodded. “Toorima was sort of mysterious, but a good woman, she and Ginta were very much in love.”
 
“What happened Kagome?” Hakaku whispered.
 
Kagome sighed and proceeded to tell them of Kurama's discovery of Toorima's existence and how she had left her daughter with humans to raise, and of Neville and his newly awakened powers.
 
“Damn.” Was Kouga's first response. “Nothing is ever simple is it?”
 
“Nope.” Shippo smiled a little. “Especially when us or one of our friends is involved.”
 
“So…Ginta is alright…besides being dead I mean.” Hakaku's voice was small, his eyes bright with tears.
 
“He is. Like I said, he's taking care of Alice and her husband Frank.” Kagome slouched a bit, exhausted from telling them the story.
 
“This half demon, Neville, you want to bring him here?” Shikon asked.
 
“He is a part of this tribe. Ginta's blood proves that.” Hakaku shot a sharp look at Shikon who looked apologetic.
 
“I meant no disrespect.”
 
“But to think, this kid is also from Yoko Kurama's line and Koronue too. It's just amazing.” Mori murmured.
 
“And human magic as well. That could be a scary combination of power Kagome.” Kouga looked at her gravely. “He'll need to be taught how to tap into each part of himself.”
 
“That's why Ginta wants me to bring him here, it was my idea. Neville needs to know where he comes from. The only family he ever knew was a horrible Grandmother, who kicked him out of her home.” Kagome waited with an expectant gleam in her eyes. “Well?”
 
Hakaku shot a pleading look at Kouga. “It…it'll be hard, knowing he's Ginta's grandson. But I want to meet him Kouga.”
 
“You'll love him! Neville-oniisan is great! He's a little shy, but he's a great person.”
 
Kouga let out a weary sigh. “He is a member of this tribe. He is blood and welcome here always. But so are the two of you. Got it? Come visit more often, and that's not a request.”
 
Kagome grinned. “Got it.”
 
Hakaku grinned somewhat evilly at her response. “And if you ever find a mate he'll have to be interviewed by me and Kouga, to make sure he's worthy of you.”
 
“Now wait a minute!”
 
xxx
 
The Lupanar had never seen such a varied group of lycanthropes at any one time. I couldn't believe that each and every group had sent a member or two to the coalition meeting. Don't get me wrong, I was glad that so many had come, it was just a little surprising. I was also really happy that Narcissus had decided to send another in his place, I didn't like dealing with the head of the hyenas. Ixion nodded to me as I made eye contact, he was one of the more stable hyenas.
 
Micah gave me a nudge, which made Richard glare; which of course made bodyguards Merle and Shang-Da move closer to their charges. I rolled my eyes with a sigh and held my hand up in the air to get everyone's attention. It didn't take long for the gossip to die down.
 
I took a breath. “I've called you all here for a specific reason. The police and I are having trouble bringing in a rogue lycanthrope.”
 
Haven stepped out from the small crowd. He nodded at me and I nodded back. He'd come back to town recently, right after the leaders of the old Pride decided to leave town. So far it looked innocent enough, they were seen leaving by car and were not forced out of power. But still I decided to keep my eye on him, even if he ended up being my Rex.
 
“The Fox that's been attacking anything that walks in front of it?”
 
Again I nodded at him. “Exactly.”
 
“Where did he come from? The only fox in St Louis is Gil.” Meredith Tribune stepped forward but didn't quite meet my eyes. She was the only Bear that had come to represent her group.
 
“Before he was a fox he was a sexual predator. While trying to avoid being assaulted, Gil shifted part way and infected the man known as Mason Gerald.” I continued with the story Gil had told me. I noticed a few sympathetic faces in the crowd, but a few were not so forgiving of an accident.
 
Nilisha MacNair of the Cobras was one of them. “Could he not have told someone sooner?”
 
Janet Talbot glared at her. “You've met Gil, he wouldn't hurt a fly, and he gets scared very easily. It makes sense that he would have panicked.”
 
Nilisha was about to say something else but Rafael beat her to it. “Just why have you called us here Anita?”
 
“I want to call an all out hunt for Mason Gerald. The law is having trouble finding him. We've come close but he's managed to slip away each time. And off the record…I don't care how he's stopped, just as long as he's not hurting anyone anymore.”
 
Rafael nodded. “Anything else?”
 
“Yes. A friend of Gil's is already hunting him. She's some sort of weird hybrid or something. So if you see a woman with white hair, fox ears, a fox tail and bat wings don't attack. She's on our side.”
 
That got a few stares.
 
“What is she?” Christine, the only tiger in town asked, while trying not to stand out too much.
 
“She's a friend. She's already saved me from Mason once.”
 
They seemed to accept that, and then Richard moved to stand beside me, Shang-Da dogging his every move. “The rogue has caused enough damage; he needs to be `taken care of'. Keep your eyes open. If your people do decide to hunt him, go in groups, never alone. He's insane and stronger than a normal shifter.”
 
I hoped we were doing the right thing, but I didn't know what else to do. Mason was avoiding being caught or killed by the police and myself, not to mention Gil's girlfriend. I figured calling in the other shifters was sort of a last resort. But if it got him out of commission and saved a few lives I was all for a little hunting.
 
xxx
 
“Are you sure this is alright?” Neville asked again, for what seemed like the hundredth time. Shiori simply smiled and tugged on his arm.
 
“Of course it is. It's a special occasion after all; I don't get to take my oldest grandchild shopping everyday.” Neville blushed and it made her smile grow, Shiori was determined to shower love and affection on the boy. Especially after what Kurama had told her about Neville's situation, she just couldn't imagine kicking out such a nice boy.
 
“You're really sure?”
 
“Neville-chan, this is just the beginning, I have years and years of catching up to do.”
 
“That much affection just might be hazardous to my heath Shiori-baasan.” He smiled at her and she smacked his arm lightly.
 
“I'm sure you'll survive the ordeal.” They walked along passing by several more shops, and Neville couldn't help but be very content as his baasan pulled him along.
 
After lunch the day before Kurama and Koenma had returned to the castle, leaving Neville in Shiori's care. Shiori was delighted and had assumed the role of a wonderful hostess and grandmother. She had taken a liking to him from the moment she'd laid eyes on him. Within hours she'd had him wearing some old clothes of Kurama's, which fit him well after she'd made some minor modifications to them. He had even spent the night in Kurama's old room, only contacting Kurama by communicator to make sure someone fed Trevor. After that he slept peacefully in his great-grandfather's childhood home.
 
Neville smiled again as Shiori pulled him into yet another shop; they'd already visited several that morning. Some for clothes, others for things to decorate his new room in Reikai, but after he'd told her that he liked plants she'd taken him to almost every botanic shop within walking distance. He'd used quite a bit of the money Kurama had given him, Kurama had told him cost was not important, and to buy whatever he wanted and needed to feel comfortable.
 
So now he had a variety of plants to be delivered to Shiori's house, some were for the small garden in her back yard, but most would be sent to Reikai later. Next of course, came books for caring for his new plants as he was unfamiliar with almost all of the local species.
 
“Neville-chan? Are you alright?”
 
He mentally shook himself and returned his thoughts to the present. Shiori was shooting worried glances at him.
 
“Yes, I'm fine.”
 
“Good, I didn't want to completely overwhelm you.” She smiled another kind smile at him, a mothering smile that sent waves of warmth over him. “Let's stop for lunch, there's a shop here that has some of the best food in the neighborhood.”
 
“Sure.”
 
She pulled him along for a bit longer before stopping in front of a store window. “This is it. It's owned by some friends of Shuichi, Urameshi Yusuke and his wife Keiko.” Neville nodded in acknowledgement and followed her in.
 
The inside was cooler, clean and very inviting with a few booths by the large windows. A couple of tables for two were in the center of the room and the counter had several stools lined along it. There was only one patron that looked to be almost done with his food as Shiori led him to the counter where they each sat on a bar stool.
 
“How long have Urameshi-san and Kurama been friends?” Neville asked quietly.
 
Shiori leaned over and whispered in his ear. “Since junior high, though they didn't go to the same school. They met after Yusuke started working for Koenma as a Spirit Detective. He's a demon too.”
 
Neville's eyes widened. “There's a lot of them isn't there…well, a lot of us I suppose.” Before Shiori could reply a young man behind the counter approached them.
 
“What can I get you—Hello Shiori-san. It's been a while since you've been in.”
 
“Hello, Yusuke, it's good to see you again.”
 
“And who is this?” His gaze shifted to Neville and Neville gulped as their eyes locked. “He looks familiar.”
 
“Oh, you can see it already?” Shiori laughed happily.
 
“See what already Shiori-san?” Yusuke was frowning now, as if he couldn't figure out why Neville seemed so familiar.
 
“This is Longbottom Neville. He's Shuichi's great-grandson.”
 
Yusuke stumbled and landed hard on the counter. “WHAT?!”
 
“Yusuke!” A young woman, who was very pregnant, waddled/strode out of a doorway behind the counter and smacked Yusuke on the back of his head. “Don't yell at the customers!”
 
“Geeze Keiko.”
 
“I'm sorry Shiori-san.” Keiko shot a glare at Yusuke. “Please excuse Yusuke's rudeness.”
 
“Oh that's alright Keiko, it was my fault. I gave Yusuke quite a shock.”
 
“Yeah. Turns out this kid here is Kurama's great-grandkid.” Yusuke motioned at Neville with one hand. “That's why I yelled.”
 
Keiko gave a very small and awkward bow to Neville. “It's good you meet you--?”
 
“Neville. Longbottom Neville.”
 
“Ah, Neville-san; welcome to our shop. What can I get you?” Keiko asked straightening up.
 
“Um…” Neville glanced at Shiori and shrugged. “I'll have whatever you order. I'm still having trouble remembering the names of all the food you fixed yesterday.” He blushed lightly and ducked his head a bit.
 
“You sure he's Kurama's? `Cause I don't remember Kurama ever being shy like that—OWW! Keiko!” Yusuke rubbed his ribs where Keiko had attempted to make a dent. “What was that for?”
 
“Be nice.” Keiko murmured calmly as she came around the counter, following the last patron as he left the shop. She turned the open sign to the closed side and turned to face their company. “We can talk freely now.”
 
Neville glanced at her and she gave him an encouraging smile. “Okay. I just met Kurama a few days ago.”
 
xxx
 
Harry lightly bumped his head on the top of his desk, Hedwig hooted at him in disapproval as he'd woken her up during a midday nap. “Sorry Hedwig.” He sighed and glanced at the letter from Ron for the tenth time. Ron was already making plans for Harry's usual trip to the Burrow and Harry wasn't sure how to tell his best friend that he wasn't going to be there this summer. He especially wasn't sure how he'd explain going on holiday with Neville…which so far wasn't even in the planning stages yet. A trip with Neville was uncertain and new territory, not to mention Kurama wanted to meet Harry before he let the two of them take off on holiday.
 
“Hermione will know.” Decision made, Harry quietly made his way to his bedroom door and peered into the hall. It was empty, not a Dursley in sight. But it never hurt to be cautious. He remained still and simply listened. The television could be heard downstairs, some drama that Aunt Petunia liked to watch, which meant she wouldn't be moving anytime soon. Dudley was somewhere with his gang, and Uncle Vernon was at work. It was now or never.
 
Keeping away from the floorboards that creaked, Harry made his way to the phone that set on a small table in the upstairs hall. He grabbed the receiver, thankful that it was a cordless, and tiptoed back to his room and closed the door ever so gently. He proceeded to dial Hermione's number and waited while it began to ring.
 
On the fourth ring an unfamiliar man answered. “Hello.”
 
“Err…yes, is Hermione there?”
 
“Who may I ask is calling?” The man sounded suspicious and left Harry feeling baffled.
 
“Harry. Harry Potter.”
 
There was a pause and the man sounded friendly again. “Just a moment, I'll fetch her.”
 
“Thank you Mr. Granger.”
 
“Not at all young man.”
 
There was silence on the phone, then a distant murmuring that sounded like a conversation of sorts, and then Hermione was on.
 
“Harry?”
 
Harry let out a sigh of relief. “I was wondering if your Dad was going to let me talk to you. He didn't sound very friendly for a moment.”
 
Hermione let out her own sigh. “Ron called a few days ago and Dad's been a little hostile about it.” She giggled. “He's not used to the idea that I have a boyfriend yet.”
 
“Ah.”
 
“How are you Harry? You hardly ever call.”
 
“I…I just wanted to get your take on something.”
 
“Oh?”
 
“Yeah, I just got a letter from Ron today, and he seems really excited about everyone gathering at the Burrow before term starts.” Harry bit his lip trying to figure out how to go on.
 
“Well, it is going to be our last year of school Harry. And we always go to the Burrow before school starts.”
 
“I…I may not be, going to the Burrow that is.” Harry waited for Hermione to say something.
 
“Is everything alright? Are the Dursley's trying to keep you there?”
 
“No, no they're pretty much avoiding me, and I'm doing the same with them.”
 
“Is Dumbledore--?”
 
“No, it's nothing like that.” He paused and rushed on. “I've been invited on holiday with someone and I don't know how to tell Ron.”
 
“That's good isn't it? And Ron will get over it I'm sure. What's her name?”
 
“Ron might not get over it because it's not a girl.” He blushed even though he was alone, aside from Hedwig who was asleep again.
 
Hermione was quiet for a moment. “Oh, I see. So do we know him?”
 
“He's in our class…and our house.”
 
“…It's not Seamus is it?”
 
Harry choked. “Seamus? Why would I want to go on holiday with Seamus?” He took a breath. “Have you heard anything about Neville?”
 
“Neville!?” Hermione sounded more than a little shocked. “Not much, except that his Grandmother disowned him.”
 
“Yeah. Well, he's staying with a relative from his mum's family. Who told you she kicked him out?”
 
“Oh, Ron heard it from the twins, who heard it from Remus, who heard it from Dumbledore…How did you find out?”
 
“Neville wrote to me…we've been writing a lot.”
 
“Harry, do you…do you like Neville…like that?”
 
Harry was quiet for a long moment before he said. “Yes.”
 
“Then Ron can get over it and we'll see the both of you on the train.”
 
Harry grinned. “You're sure? It doesn't bother you?”
 
“It doesn't matter what I think Harry, but for your peace of mind, no it does not.”
 
Harry sank down on his bed in relief. “I'm glad I told you Hermione…but what do I tell Ron?”
 
Hermione made a hmm noise for a moment which indicated she was thinking. “Leave Ron to me, just tell him you've already made plans. Then when he calls me to rant a bit I'll tell him to back off. Will that be okay?”
 
“Yeah. Thanks Hermione.”
 
“Of course it'll be up to you and Neville to explain things if you go through with this holiday.”
 
“I know. Again, thanks Hermione.”
 
“Anytime Harry. Now how are you really?”
 
XXX