Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Purple Makai ❯ Fighting Friends ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Yu Yu Hakusho or the delicious bishies therein. Happy?
 
Warnings: Hiei and Kurama fighting, language (Yusuke, mostly)
 
Fighting Friends
 
With Yusuke…
 
“Damn it!” Yusuke yelled, running at top speed toward the portal to human world. “What the Hell am I supposed to do about those two? Argh!” He skidded to a stop when he almost passed the portal. He jumped in without hesitation, ignoring the little flashing lights, wishing that between-world travel didn't take so long.
 
As he went through the tunnel, he started thinking about what he should bring with him when he came back. “Let's see… bandages, food, water, clothing? Maybe…” He thought about it for a little while longer, then shook his head mockingly at himself. “What do I think this is? A camping trip? What I really need is some backup. And a doctor… Ah ha! I'll bring Kuwabara and Yukina! Neither of them will mind coming along to help.”
 
His decision came right before the tunnel deposited him in a bruised heap in the middle of a forest. He immediately jumped up, running in the direction of Genkai's compound. “Maybe I'll bring the old lady as well. Couldn't hurt.”
 
With Hiei and Kurama…
 
Yoko Kurama took his time, sizing up his opponent. Not that Hiei expected anything less of the ancient demon.
 
“Do you think we'll start any time this century? You might not mind the wait, but I sure as Hell do!” The little fire demon charged at the yoko, hoping that the fox wouldn't be able to see him if he moved at top speed. It was a vain hope.
 
“Argh!” Hiei gasped as the fox demon's whip bit into his side, after it had countered his full-speed sword attack, of course. Hiei dropped back slightly, weighing his options. He normally liked to just charge in and overwhelm his opponent with his ferocity, but he knew it wouldn't work on the demon in front of him. Yoko Kurama was in a different league. You couldn't scare him into making a mistake, not like Shuichi Minamino, the fox demon's human personality. Not like Hiei's best friend.
 
Hiei had first joined forces with Kurama because he needed a thief and because it was safer to be the fox's ally than his enemy. He'd known that the Kurama he knew was just a human with a demon spirit, but Hiei had grown to like the human aspect of his friend. Not that he would admit this out loud. Not unless torture was involved.
 
But Yoko Kurama was a different thing altogether. Hiei had first met him at the Dark Tournament and realized how lucky he was that he was on the fox's side. The idea of being the cold-hearted demon's enemy made a chill run down his spine. He didn't know if it was the fear or the excitement of the idea that worried him more.
 
But here he was, fighting someone whom he'd considered a friend for a few years. An amazingly long time for demons to live, much less get to know someone. And while part of him hated the idea of hurting the fox, another part of him was absolutely thrilled at the chance to test his abilities against a being older than any of the governments on human world.
 
He watched his opponent, waiting to see if he would attack or if he was expecting an attack. The yoko looked totally relaxed on the outside, but Hiei could feel how tightly controlled his demon energy was. He watched carefully, hoping to see a change that would give him a sign. When it happened, the form it took completely surprised him. The yoko relaxed his control.
 
“Kurama?” He asked tentatively. He took a step forward, then another when the yoko looked at him in confusion. “Kurama?” He asked again. The figure nodded, still looking confused.
 
“Hiei? What's going on?” Yoko asked in his husky voice. He looked around at the clearing. “And where are we?”
 
Hiei sighed. Maybe the poison wore off. He'd be cautious anyway. “We're in a clearing in Demon World. You were poisoned. The purple makai. Remember?”
 
“… no…” Kurama sounded so lost and worried that Hiei finally relaxed, all thoughts of fighting his friend gone. He walked closer, then stopped.
 
“Change back into your human form and we can go home.” He told the fox. “I'm sure your mother is worried about you.” Hiei sighed as he said it. He sounded like such a sap.
 
Kurama looked worried at the thought of his mother worrying. A look of concentration came over his face for a few seconds, then left. He frowned. “It's not working. I can't change back.”
 
Hiei frowned as well, walking closer to his friend. “Is that a side-effect?”
 
“Not that I know of…” Kurama answered, looking his friend in the eye. Something about the way Kurama was looking at him gave Hiei pause and he stopped in his tracks. That's when Yoko Kurama finally showed his true colors, swinging his whip in a precise circle and catching the little fire demon off-guard. “Gotcha!” He crowed.
 
TBC…
 
Author's Note: Sorry this one is so short too. I just wanted to update a few things today, so I can't spend too much time on any one of them. Sorry again, and please review!