Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Quoth The Rayvin ❯ Yasashisha ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Startled at the stillness broken by reply so aptly spoken, "Doubtless," said I, "What it utters is only stock and store,
Caught from some unhappy master whom unmerciful Disaster
Followed fast and followed faster till his songs one burden bore-
Till the dirges of his Hope that melancholy bore
Of 'Never-nevermore.'
But the Raven still beguiling all my sad soul into smiling,
Straight I wheeled a cushioned seat in front of bird and bust and door;
Then, upon the velvet sinking, I betook myself to linking
Fancy unto fancy, thinking what this ominous bird of yore -
What this grim, ungainly, ghastly, gaunt, and ominous bird of yore
Meant in croaking "Nevermore."
---
 
"I want out."
Those were the first words she had spoken to Kurama during the three weeks she had been forced to stay with him. Because of the fact that her youki was almost non-existent, she was denied the regenerative powers bestowed on more powerful demons, though once the worst was over she would be fine.
"Didn't you hear me?"
"You shouldn't move yet."
Though she was an assassin, Rayvin did have an honor code she refused to break. The thought of killing someone who had done her a kindness made her stomach turn, and she couldn't bring herself to murder Kurama.
And it was making her miserable.
"You can't keep me here."
"If you leave for the Makai now, you're sure to die."
"I don't care."
She didn't remember what happened when she had crashed into his balcony, only when she had woken up and asked him his name. "Minamino Shuuichi," he had answered. "And your own?"
"Kurohane." She wasn't stupid enough to give him her real name. That was all she had said. For three weeks the inquiries of how she felt, if she was okay, who had hurt her and what she was doing in Ningenkai had gone unanswered.
"How do you feel?" he asked her now.
"I'm fine. Go away."
"Kurohane-san..."
"JUST LEAVE, DAMMIT! YOU CAN'T HELP!" 'You killed my brother...'
"I apologize, Kurohane-san. I will leave." Sometimes Kurama wondered whether or not he should have helped. She seemed angry with him constantly, and he couldn't for the life of him figure out why.
Rayvin settled back onto the futon and reluctantly allowed her to mind wander back to when she had been at the tournament. She'd managed to snag a front row ticket by threatening a scalper, and had intended to call to her brother, but, however, just like the last time she had seen him, she was too late. Karasu had been killed just as she hurried down the last stair. She'd fainted upon the sight, and had been dragged out by security for 'stealing' a ticket. Noiseless tears began to roll down her flushed cheeks at the memory still fresh in her mind.
"What's wrong?" a soft voice called. She looked up to see a woman standing in the doorway.
"Nothing's wrong," she said; though she still couldn't hide the tears streaming down her face. The woman, who she remembered vaguely as Kurama's ningen mother Shiori, crossed the room and took the necromancer in her arms.
"Nakuna. Daijoubu."
'Don't cry...it's okay...'
"Kuronue...Sumimasen, Kuronue-san...I don't know how this happened."
"Don't worry...Don't cry...Rayvin, everything will be fine..."
"But...I can't do this anymore! I just can't...I can't do it, not with a baby!"
"I'll help you."
"I can't depend on you! How am I supposed to get by in this place!?"
"I'll protect you, Rayvin. I swear I will."
"Shuuichi told me that you were mugged." So that was the story he used. Shiori had been away on business for two of the weeks since Rayvin had come, so there was no confusion with her as to how the slight, pale girl had survived a sword through her stomach. "Everything will be okay. I promise."
'Don't promise to protect me. Everyone who says that lies.'
"Mom and Dad aren't here anymore, imouto, I'll take care of you now."
"I'll protect you, Rayvin.".
"Don't worry, Mama! Soon I'll be able to protect you when Tousan isn't here, and you won't have to be afraid anymore! I promise!"
Even that sweet promise had been denied to her, even her precious son had lied to her. Sobs racked her whole body as she cried herself to sleep in Shiori's loose embrace.
---
REVISION NOTES:
When I wrote this chapter the first time, I requested that people honestly told me what they thought of Rayvin- I think maybe three did. I still really want to know, so if you do decide to review, please answer the question. 
Ja-
CM
Nakuna- Don't cry.
Daijoubu- It's ok.