Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Ryuu Shojo ❯ Fierce Protector ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Ryuu Shojo

By: pingpong

Chapter 1: Fierce Dragon

Ryuu stood firm. "How do I know that you're telling the truth?"

Hiei smiled down at her like she was a small child he was dealing with, causing her mouth to slant into a deadly frown. "You'll have to take my word for it," he said easily, his voice faintly arrogant. He was enjoying invading this girl's territory, taking over. He had heard of these "ryuu shojos", these "dragon girls" and knew that they considered themselves better than regular demons; so he thought it best to teach this girl that he was better than her. Suddenly, her anger boiled over and she acted on it.

Her hand came up and she slapped him across the face. All the dragons immediately went on the offensive, alerted that their mistress was angry for some reason at these demons and humans. Her anger showing in her eyes, she growled, "I have no time to deal with demons who think that they are playing a game. Several of my friends have died and I need to know who is killing them!" Her black eyes blazed at him and her whole manner told Hiei that she would beat him to a bloody pulp in her current state if she had to.

Hiei shrugged, it was no matter to him if she wanted to know. "The demon hunter, Kirit. He is killing the dragons for the Sorrow Stone that their blood makes when they are killed. He is also after the Keeper of the Valley." He looked down at her. "I presume that is you."

Her frown deepened. "Yeah, so what? I can take care of myself." She turned away from them, her hair blowing in the wind that picked up. "I could kick your ass right now, if I wanted to." A big green dragon landed in front of her and she closed her eyes. Then she said, "Moroi says that the north winds have come early. None of the dragons will fly, so you stay here tonight." A vexed frown marred her pretty face as she watched the dragons fly for their nests as the wind got stronger. "There's a door behind you if you want something to eat," she told them, not looking away from the deep canyon that made the valley a bowl, the upper levels a ring around the lower training grounds where young dragons learned to take off in the soft sand.

The boys headed for the galley, enticed by the promise of food. Kurama stopped and looked back at the lone girl, noticing a sudden change in her manner. Suddenly, she jumped off the cliff, appearing moments later on the back of the green dragon, Moroi. The green used her powerful wings to battle against the winds and her rider drew a slim sword as they approached the gates. The heavy bronze gates opened as the pair flew through, and then closed with a groaning creak.

Kurama turned to the small minion dragon who was following them into the kitchen and asked, "I thought she said that the dragons wouldn't fly in the north winds?" The dragon watched the gates worriedly. "They won't," he said. "There must be something very wrong going on for Moroi to go off like that, she hates the winds."

Kurama stood with the dragon and watched the night engulf the valley. Hiei came out to stand with them. "My Jangan is picking up power readings that are off the charts. Evil power."

The dragons started. "Kirit!" he hissed and Hiei nodded. "Yes, she has gone after him."