Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Save Your Grace ❯ The Perks of Being a Wallflower ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Something really is wrong with me. And I don't know what it is.
-The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
_________________________________________________________________ __
 
-Chapter Two-
-The Perks of Being a Wallflower-
 
That jacket was the bane of my existence. Sure, at first it seemed like a harmless article of clothing only meant to keep me warm but pretty soon, it turned into a monster that wouldn't let me forget just who I had to keep in contact with: The freakin' Shuichi freakin' Minamino. All I wanted was to return the damn thing and go back to my miserable crumbling life.
 
But noooo. Ayame insisted, nay, demanded that we, ourselves and in person, return the jacket to the most dashing young man in all of Japan if not the world. Sure, I washed the thing the next day to my mother's suggestion but that's all I wanted to do with it. Actually, I was planning on letting Mom return it on her way home from work but again, no. Ayame entered the pretty picture to muck it all up! “Hana and I can return it after school” she declared oh so cleverly. I mean, I knew the girl had a crush on the guy but to go to his house?
 
Ayame even had the guts to tell him the next day at school that we could return it and he invited us to his house that same day. Ayame was so excited that she skipped practice, feigning ill. She showed up to my school just in time to see me getting chewed out by Keiko Yukimura for not keeping up with my grades. I know she's the class president and all but that doesn't mean she's ultimate ruler. Give me a break, I just had the worst day of my life not two days ago and already she's on my case.
 
Ayame wasn't pleased to hear the criticisms and held it over my head that she would tell the `rents if I didn't go with her to return the jacket. That was another thing about the stupid jacket. Apparently, Shuichi had friends in Kimura High and they recognized the dumb thing, causing some major complications.
 
“That's not your jacket,” Yusuke Urameshi observed as he took his seat behind me. Yeah, I had the punk of Kimura High sit behind me in our classes. Not cool right?
 
I agreed with him that it wasn't my jacket but he just wouldn't drop the damn thing.
 
“Where did you get it?”
 
“Someone lent it to me.”
 
“Who?”
 
“Shuichi Minamino.”
 
“How do you know him?”
 
“He used to tutor me.”
 
“Why?”
 
Because I'm freakin' stupid? I don't know, quit asking me questions! But I wouldn't dare say that to the face of Yusuke Urameshi. Instead I said, “I needed help with math.”
 
“When did he give it to you?”
 
“Two nights ago.”
 
“Why?”
 
“Because we ran into each other and I was cold.”
 
He finally stopped with the questions, but I could tell he still wasn't satisfied. But seriously, what the heck was that all about? Giving me the third degree about something that was completely not his business.
 
“Hana, you are so sloooow.”
 
I glared playfully at Masako as we walked down the hallway. School had just been let out and Coach let the team have the day off to recuperate. Masako wanted to go to the arcade but I had to break the news that I was going to Shuichi's with Ayame.
 
“Shuichi Minamino?!” she had shrieked when she found out.
 
Yes, The freakin' Shuichi freakin' Minamino.
 
“Well never mind about me! Go get yourself a sexy man!”
 
I actually almost tripped her when she said that. The urge was so strong. All I had to do was put out a foot and wham! she would have face planted. But I managed to wrangle down that impulse and beat it into submission. I really wanted to explain to her that I was simply dropping off a jacket but when the words left my mouth she instantly attached herself to the piece of clothing, not letting go for the life of her.
 
“It touched Shuichi Minamino, and now it touched me.”
 
I then told her about the washing it received the night before. She was clearly disappointed and quickly let the clothing go. But at the present, she was teasing me about my walking pace. Apparently, it was “sloooow.”
 
“For someone who's so fast at running, you sure do suck at walking,” she commented.
 
I rolled my eyes and blew her off. “Whatever KoKo, you know you're going to be missing me at the meet.”
 
“Girl,” she exclaimed. “Don't remind me! We're gonna get creamed now thanks to your stupid butt.”
 
“Nakashima!”
 
I turned around to see a very red faced Keiko Yukimura marching her way up to me. Masako turned to me with a quick smile.
 
“Well, it's been nice knowing you Han.”
 
My best friend had just abandoned to deal with an angry class president all on my own. I swallowed my nerves and turned towards my fuming classmate.
 
“Hey Keiko,” I said fearfully as she approached. Despite her nice looks, I knew that girl could get ugly. She had to be tough to scare Yusuke Urameshi.
 
“Hana Nakashima, why are you not getting tutored?”
 
“Because my tutor quit on me?”
 
“Another one?!”
 
I shrunk away. “It's not my fault. He was a quitter from the beginning.”
 
“That's what you said about Shuichi Minamino!”
 
“Well, it's true!” I matched my volume with hers. I was not backing down so easily.
 
“I somehow seriously doubt that Kur-Shuichi Minamino was a quitter. You're just not taking it seriously enough!”
 
“I am too!” I completely forgot to raise an eyebrow at her little slipup.
 
“And is that Shuichi's jacket?”
 
What was up with people going on about the stupid jacket? It was just a jacket!
 
“What's going on?”
 
We both looked up to see Ayame standing arms akimbo, scowl planted nice and firmly on her face. I gulped, nerves flaring again.
 
“I'm sorry, who are you?” Keiko asked politely. Her death dagger eyes put away for the cute innocent girl she usually was.
 
“I'm Ayame Nakashima, Hana's older sister. Who are you?”
 
“Keiko Yukimura,” she said with a slight bow. “I'm Hana's class president.”
 
“Oh, what's the problem?”
 
“Hana's grades are slipping,” Keiko informed.
 
“Oh, yes, we know. Her math is rather terrible isn't it?”
 
Gee, thanks sis.
 
“Not just in her math class. They're slipping in the others as well.”
 
“Really?” my sister asked, clearly intrigued. “This is news to me.”
 
“Yes, this has been going on for a few weeks now and I've been meaning to bring it up earlier but I just always thought that her tutor would take care of it.”
 
“Her tutor quit on her,” Ayame informed.
 
“Yes, I've heard. She's also about to get kicked out of the program for good.”
 
“I'll be sure to let our parents know.”
 
I bug-eyed. Thanks again Ayame. Seriously though, you don't have to do that. I know you're trying to help but it's not appreciated at the moment. Keiko nodded, pleased, and walked away. I gave Ayame a look before shaking my head.
 
“This is an interesting turn of events Hana.”
 
“How do you mean?” I grumbled.
 
“I know how much you don't want to return that jacket yourself but if you don't go with me I'm going to tell Mom and Dad about your grades, tutor, track meet, and teacher.”
 
It felt like an atomic bomb had just hit me. Blackmail? Oh yeah, that's real mature. Why don't you go suck your thumb and cry about it!
 
“I'm not falling for it Ayame.”
 
“Then let me just go run home and call up Mom and Dad and inform them about your little problems.” She acted as if she was about to start heading home. I finally gave in with a sigh.
 
“Alright, fine. We can go to Shuichi's. Do you know where he lives?”
 
“Yep, he gave me his address during lunch. It's just a few streets down from our house.”
 
She sounded a little too happy to know that Shuichi was practically a neighbor. I on the other hand dreaded this piece of information. Masako would be wanting to come over every day after school now. Not that I was going to divulge this material willingly or knowingly. Ayame grabbed me by the wrist and began to drag me down the sidewalk.
 
“Come on, Shuichi has to be home by now.”
 
I yanked my arm back forcefully and took up the task of walking for myself. Ayame was swinging her bookcase happily and humming a cheerful tune that sounded familiar.
 
“You sure are chipper,” I muttered.
 
“Of course, I get to see Shuichi again! All the girls in gymnastics will be so jealous!” She laughed heartily and even I had to smile a little.
 
We reached Shuichi's front door without incident, and with my sister's sense of direction that was saying a lot. Her hand paused, poised over the paneling of the door. I looked at her curiously.
 
“Why aren't you knocking?”
 
“I just realized that I'm at Shuichi Minamino's house.”
 
“Yeah, you blackmailed me to get here. Now continue knocking.”
 
“But you don't understand,” she rushed. “I'm at Shuichi Minamino's house.”
 
“Look,” I said. “I understand we're at The freakin' Shuichi freakin' Minamino's house but you blackmailed me to get here. Now you're going to knock on that door, or I'm going home and Mom can return the jacket later.” I grabbed her shoulder gently. “Think about it Ayame. You have the chance of a lifetime to enter The freakin' Shuichi freakin' Minamino's house. You don't want to waste that chance. You'll hate yourself forever.”
 
Ayame nodded and mustered up every bit of her courage, getting ready to knock on the door. When all of a sudden the door flew open and we were face to face with a middle-aged woman. She looked at us surprised. Her brown hair was up in a tight, severe bun but her kind eyes made us feel welcome instantly.
 
“Hello,” we bowed deeply. “My name is Ayame Nakashima and this is my sister Hana. Shuichi invited us over today.”
 
The woman blinked and then smiled. “Oh of course! Shuichi told me all about it! Come on in! I'm Shiori Minamino, Shuichi's mother.”
 
She ushered us in quickly and we politely took off our shoes and slipped them into the stand by the door. She gave us a smile.
 
“It's so nice to see more of Shuichi's friends. He doesn't have many.”
 
I almost face planted. Shuichi doesn't have many friends? How is that possible?
 
“It's just been the same five or six people for the past couple of years,” she explained.
 
“That's a shocker,” I said without realizing it.
 
“I know, he's such a sweet boy.”
 
“Yeah, especially with the ladies.”
 
“He's such a handsome young man isn't he?”
 
Her smile grew and I couldn't help but to smile too. Ayame frowned at me. I guess she didn't like that I was sharing something with Shuichi's mother.
 
“What is so funny?”
 
We all looked up and were graced by the vision that is Shuichi Minamino. I tried to keep my breathing under control but it was tough. He is just too darn handsome.
 
“Oh just girl talk,” his mother brushed the issue aside smoothly.
 
Shuichi nodded. “Hello Hana, Ayame.”
 
Ayame smiled politely before giving me the evil eye for being named first. I smiled innocently and scratched the back of my head.
 
“Hey Shuichi.”
 
His eyes widened when he saw the jacket in my arms.
 
“Oh, I see you brought my jacket.”
 
I handed it to him sheepishly. Why was I so shy all of a sudden?!
 
“Thank you,” he expressed his gratitude warmly. “Would you two like to join me in the living room. I'm afraid that I already have a few guests over but you're welcome to join if you wish.”
 
“We'd love to!” Ayame quickly answered before I could turn the kid down. I didn't really want to stay in his presence. I didn't like how bashful I had become. I very much just wanted to go home and start on my homework. Oh yeah, Ayame definitely owed me a tutoring session.
 
Ayame giggled as Shuichi led us into the living room where four other people were sitting on the couch, with one of them in a chair. Two of the four I knew as Yusuke Urameshi and Kazuma Kuwabara, the thugs of Kimura High. I shied away from them and moved closer to my sister. However, Ayame left my side and bounded up to the guests amiably.
 
“Hello, I'm Ayame Nakashima!” She bowed deeply.
 
“You're Hana's sister?” asked Kazuma.
 
“Unfortunately,” she replied with a smile.
 
I frowned as Shuichi chuckled. I knew he was a chuckler! But then I felt a hand on my shoulder and looked up into the smiling face of Shuichi. He gave me a wink before saying to the others, “Hana isn't all that bad is she? At least you didn't have to tutor her.”
 
The others laughed as my frowned deepened. I shrugged his hand off.
 
“What is this, Hate on Hana Day?”
 
Finishing his laugh Shuichi shook his head. “I apologize Hana. I could not help it.”
 
His smile made me forget about the comment and instead caused one to grow on my face.
 
“You're forgiven. But as far as Ayame goes, not so much.”
 
Ayame rolled her eyes.
 
Yusuke leaned forward. “So you finally returned that jacket?”
 
I blinked. “Of course I returned the jacket! What do you take me for? A thief?”
 
“No, I just took you for one of his fan girls,” he replied nonchalantly.
 
I frowned. “I'm not one of them.”
 
Shuichi's smile seemed to falter but I didn't pay too much notice. I was too busy looking at Ayame's stare. Why was she staring at me again?
 
“Hana, your neck, it's bleeding.” Shuichi sounded concerned.
 
I felt the back of my neck and frowned when I felt the sticky substance. I drew back my hand and saw that it was indeed covered in blood. I wanted to slap myself. Apparently I must have reopened the wound when I scratched it. But I didn't scratch that hard. What the heck was going on?
 
“Well look at that. I suppose I am.”
 
Kazuma fell off the couch. “Are you serious? You didn't even notice that you were bleeding?”
 
“Who's bleeding?” Mrs. Minamino asked as she entered the room. “Oh, goodness! Hana you're bleeding! Shuichi show her to the bathroom and help her clean it up.”
 
“Yes Mother.” Shuichi gently guided me to a hall bathroom where he flipped on the lights and sat me on the commode lid. “How did this happen Hana?” he asked softly.
 
I scratched my head, making sure to stay clear of my neck. “I'm not quite sure actually. I think I got it that night I was out jogging and I ran into you. But it's the strangest thing, I don't remember anything. I just showed up at my house with a bunch of scrapes and scratches on my face, arms, and hands with no clue as to how they got there,” I explained.
 
“Could you look down for me?” Following his order, I bent my head down and stared at the white tiled floor, moving my brown hair out of the way so that he could easily access the bleeding wound.
 
I heard him rustling around in the cabinets and then felt a cool, wet cloth against my neck. He wiped up the blood delicately.
 
“How have you been Hana?”
 
I debated on whether or not I should tell him the truth. But finally after a quick deliberation I relented with a sigh and hung my head lower. “I haven't been so great to be honest with you.”
 
“Why? What's wrong?”
 
I took a deep breath. “Well, to be blunt, I've been completely sucking at life right now. My grades are slipping in school, I've been benched for the rest of the track season and missing a very important track meet, and my tutor has quit on my again and left me to fend for myself. Today my class president yelled at me for being a terrible student and my sister blackmailed me into coming here.”
 
“Are grades suffering greatly?”
 
“Yes, terribly.”
 
“I could always help you, you know.”
 
“You already tried that remember?” I reminded. “But I proved to be too dumb for you and you quit the program.”
 
Shuichi jerked his hand away in shock. “You think that is why I quit the program?”
 
Hana looked up. “Yeah, I do. I mean you quit after not even two weeks before leaving the program entirely.”
 
“Hana, it had nothing to do with you.”
 
“It didn't?” I didn't really know what to say. “Well, why did you leave then?”
 
Shuichi remained quiet. “I had business to attend to. I'm sorry for leaving you high and dry like that.”
 
I shrugged. “Don't worry, I'm used to it.”
 
“But I can help you now. I have nothing to hold me back any longer.”
 
I thought about it for a moment. Did I really want him to tutor me again? I shook my head.
 
“It's no use Shuichi. I'm being kicked out of the program.”
 
He chuckled. “Hana, I can always help you outside of the program you know.”
 
I thought about it some more. “You would do that?”
 
Shuichi nodded. “Of course. I owe it to you. After leaving you like that I mean.”
 
“I would really appreciate that.”
 
Shuichi smiled and continued bandaging the back of my neck. When he finished tying off the knot, he stood back.
 
“There, I'm finished.”
 
I lifted my head and smiled bashfully. “Thanks Shuichi. I probably scratched it a little too hard earlier.”
 
“You are most welcome Hana. Should we return to the others. I fear that leaving Ayame alone with Yusuke and Kuwabara for too long might have. . .adverse effects.”
 
“What, you afraid she's going to turn into a punk like them?”
 
Shuichi smiled. “Nothing like that. Although I see that you know Yusuke and Kuwabara already.”
 
“They're my classmates. At least, Yusuke is. I only know Kazuma by reputation.”
 
He nodded. “And I'm sure he has quite the reputation.”
 
I bowed my head in agreement before asking, “Shuichi?”
 
He looked at me with kind eyes. “Yes Hana.”
 
“Do you remember seeing any scrapes or scratches on me when I ran into you?”
 
He shook his head. “It was so dark that night, Hana. I don't remember seeing anything.”
 
There's was something about the way he said that that made me feel otherwise. But I simply nodded and didn't push the issue further. We rejoined the others in the living room where Yusuke and Kazuma had taken it upon themselves to start a video game match. Shuichi frowned.
 
“I see you've found my brother's gaming system.”
 
Yusuke looked up. “Sorry, Kur-Shuichi. But we got kind of bored waiting for you to play host.”
 
“Yeah,” Kazuma spoke up. “Besides, your mom said we could.”
 
“Of course, be my guest.”
 
Shuichi gestured me to sit on the couch next to my sister and a blue-haired girl before taking a seat beside me.
 
“Hello,” she greeted. “My name is Botan, you must be Hana!”
 
I smiled politely and bowed my head. “Nice to meet you Botan.”
 
“And this over here is Michiko,” she pointed to a girl with short black hair and blue, indigo eyes. Her eyes were so deep I could get lost staring into them. She looked cross, her arms folded over her chest and her face set in a deep frown. I could tell she was also short. Her feet didn't touch the ground when she sat. In that instant, I found her adorable and I smiled. She turned at glared at me.
 
“What are you smiling at, girl?”
 
I freaked. I wasn't expecting her voice to sound so menacing for such a small person. I laughed it off awkwardly. “Oh nothing.”
 
“Will you be quiet back there, we're trying to concentrate,” shouted Yusuke.
 
“Shut up boy! How dare you talk to me in such a tone!”
 
Yep, I didn't like this chick. Who did she think she was, calling people “boy” and “girl”? Someone was clearly full of herself.
 
Thirty minutes into the visit, the scene hadn't changed much. Yusuke and Kazuma were still fighting over video games, Ayame and Botan were busy chatting about gymnastics and the “cute uniforms”, Michiko was glaring at everybody, and Shuichi was just sitting back and watching people. I knew he was people watcher. There was just something about him that screamed watcher. Not the creeper kind of course, the philosophical kind.
 
“Quite the ragtag group of people huh?” he asked me.
 
I nodded. “There's something about that Michiko-girl though.”
 
He raised his eyebrows. “Oh really, what about her?”
 
Shrugging, I replied, “I'm not sure but she seems familiar.”
 
“That's impossible, she's new in town.”
 
“Yeah, I know I've never seen her but there's still an inkling feeling that I've seen her somewhere. I just can't place where.”
 
“Maybe I just have one of those faces,” she retorted.
 
I sat up straight in surprise. I hadn't expected her to be listening. “You must have good hearing, I wasn't expecting anyone to catch that.”
 
Shuichi nodded. “Yes, it is quite interesting isn't it? Michiko has the best hearing of anyone I know.”
 
“Yeah, she's like a cat,” Kazuma added over his shoulder.
 
Michiko growled and clenched her fists. “Shut up you fool!”
 
“Don't you tell me to shut up shorty!”
 
“Call me short one more time and see what happens!”
 
“Hah, I'm not afraid of you! You're a harmless little pipsqueak!”
 
“That's it!” Michiko flew out of her seat and lunged at Kazuma.
 
Shuichi grabbed her in time before she could do any damage and held her at bay.
 
“Kuwabara, please don't provoke Michiko. Michiko, I would appreciate it if you didn't hurt my friends in my mother's house.”
 
Michiko threw one last glare at the punk before going back to her seat in the chair. I blinked, unsure of what to say. Her voice and behavior was so familiar but I just couldn't seem to put a finger on where I had seen her before. Shuichi nodded once order was restored and sat back down next to me on the couch.
 
“I apologize for that violent display.”
 
“It's alright, I'm used to violence.”
 
“Don't tell me you and Ayame fight at home?”
 
I laughed. “When aren't we fighting?”
 
“But you seem so close?”
 
“Well, yeah we are I guess. I mean we're sisters, we have to love each other. Of course, we were closer when we were younger. She was like my hero,” I explained.
 
“Oh really,” he asked with a smile. “Please, elaborate.”
 
I scratched my cheek in thought, trying to remember a time when Ayame had saved me.
 
“There was this one time when our school went on a field trip to the zoo. I got separated from my group and was lost for the entire day. Ayame heard about it and ran away from her group to find me. She risked getting into serious trouble but it didn't faze her. She found me by the gorillas, crying, and led me back to my group. I was so scared then.”
 
“And how long ago was this?”
 
I blushed and lied, “Eleven years ago.” It was more like three.
 
“Six? That's pretty young to get lost at the zoo.”
 
“Yeah, I didn't know what to do. But that's just how it's been: me getting into trouble and Ayame saving me. Until recently that is.” I leaned and whispered, “I think I get on her nerves now.”
 
Shuichi shook his head. “I somehow doubt that. I think that she still holds the same level of feelings for you.”
 
I laughed. “Geeze, Shuichi you're making it sound like we're lovers.”
 
His eyes widened a fraction. “Is that really how I make it sound?”
 
I nodded with a smile. “You have quite a calm, sexy voice.”
 
I slapped my hands over my mouth. DID I REALLY JUST SAY THAT OUTLOUD?! GOOD GOD! SO EMBARASSING! WHAT IS MY PROBLEM?! AM I REALLY THAT MUCH OF A FREAK?! HE'S GOING TO THINK I'M A WEIRDO NOW! NOOO!
 
As I continued raging on the inside and blushing like mad on the outside, Shuichi couldn't help but to chuckle at my internal predicament.
 
“It's alright Hana. Surprisingly, I get that a lot. I just never expected you to say that.”
 
I remained silent, my hands still clamped over my mouth. I shook my head, trying to convey that I was never supposed to go that far, only think it. He patted my shoulder.
 
“It really is okay Hana. We'll just consider it a joke between friends.”
 
Friends? The freakin' Shuichi freakin' Minamino wanted to be friends? With me?!
 
“Heck yes we can keep this a joke as friends!”
 
Shuichi smiled and I swear to you, my heart melted.